Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 76

Author Topic: [Community] Nomekast - At War with Nothing  (Read 180275 times)

Mangled

• Bay Watcher
  • Sleep is for the weak.
    • View Profile
Re: [Community] Nomekast - Hiding from Nothing
« Reply #600 on: April 23, 2011, 11:24:39 pm »

Alright, nicely done folk. Derm, can you send for some people to help me move the injured? They're not likely to die just now I've seen to that but we gotta get them down below so me and Reg can fix them up proper.
Anyone with small cuts and such get over to me or Fori and we'll bandage you up then I'm going to need you to go to your rooms and stay there for a bit until I get time to come get you sorted.

OOC: Basically after volrath got (maybe?) infected I'm trying to qaurintine people with open injuries for a couple days to make sure they aren't infected as well. It's probably nothing to worry about though.
Probably.

Aequor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: April 27, 2011, 06:42:07 pm »

2nd Slate 677 - Afternoon

"Come on, get moving! Get that gneiss up there! Or would you prefer to be doing it while the Nothing are swarming you?" Shin called, pushing a Dwarf forward. The architect had taken charge of the building of the secure compound on the surface. With the militia's victory in the offensive, they had won themselves valuable time. It was guessed that it would take at the very least two weeks before the Nothing were a threat again.

A Dwarf can do alot in a week when it comes to masonry, fifty Dwarves and twenty assorted people of other races could do alot more. All other tasks were to be suspended, everyone was conscripted into the masonry, everyone it seemed, except Stas, who again seemed to have found a way to avoid working, Brosso who was working on his circus and disdained working on the surface, and the newcomer industrialist Stronghammer Fireforge, who was working at the forges.

Walls with fortifications were to be built, a great drawbridge would span the the river Squeezemunch, the old stone bridge that had been built to cross was to be torn down and replaced with a larger one. The militia kept a watchful eye, their weapons and armour never far.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

16th Slate 677 - Afternoon

"Hey look, there's more over here." Rovod called, pointing at a wooden crate. Spartan cracked it open with a swing of his pick, spilling a few short swords out,

"More swords. The Darksquids really must have killed several caravans passing here or something." he said. He and Rovod had been scouring the valley sides for the past two weeks, they had discovered halberds, long swords, swort swords, bows, crossbows, scourges and whips, various trinkets, bolts, bars of metal, blocks of rock, and more. Some of it pointed to Dwarven manufacture, some Human and some Elven. Clearly the Nothing had attacked caravans, and the merchants had abandoned their goods, or been killed.

Corpses were another thing they found. The valley was chock full of skeletons, bones strewn across the place. The supplies would come in handy, but there was that small element of guilt, of taking from the dead. Worse yet, they had no idea who were these dead people, the bones indicated Dwarves and either Humans or Elves, but they didn't know their names, and so couldn't administer the final rites, nor did they know how long they had lain there, or have enough time to take all the remains in, so many there was.

The compound meanwhile, was coming along nicely, everyone was pushing themselves to really work hard, days became a simple routine of waking, eating, working on the walls, eating, working on the walls, eating, and then sleeping. It was hard work, but the fruit was showing.

18th Slate 677 - Morning

The walls of the compound were almost finished, Shin was directing the final touches while was linking the bridges to levers indoors, to raise and lower them remotely. Spartan and Delta, meanwhile, were working on the moat that would protect the walls. While the walls could no doubt hold the Nothing back, they were still a rushed job, and they could afford no chances, so a moat was being dug which would link to the river Squeezemunch. As Delta stopped work a few moments to rest and take a gulp of alcohol, removing the helmet he almost always wore, Spartan began working. Taking his trusty pick, he slammed it into the earth.

The miner woke up about five minutes later to the sound of Delta calling down to him. He checked himself, he was fine, then he checked his surroundings. He was in the old section of Nomekast, the original community way back three or so years ago now, he remembered carving it out. He could have beardpalmed as he realised what he had done. Without checking where they were digging, they had channeled straight into old Nomekast, opening it into the heavens above. He finally heard what Delta was shouting,

"Get out of there before it floods you fool!"

Spartan spun round to the old farms, to see water flowing in from the river. They must have accidentally broke into the floodgate that had once irrigated the farms.

The miner could have beardpalmed again, but he didn't want to waste anymore time,

"Get masons down here, we'll need to seal this bit off!" he shouted up at Delta, before rushing out to safety.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Brosso the Magnificent surveyed the scene with his ever-present pig-tail cigar in his hand.

"Well?" he said, "What have we got? Let's have a shufty."

Bounce stood besides him, the bookkeeper dwarfed by his large physique,

"Five Nothing." she said, "All caught from the cage-traps."

They stood in the recently dug-out stockpile for creatures caught. No one knew what to do with the Nothing that had been caged by the traps during the attack. Brosso had obviously taken an immediate interest in acquiring them for his circus.

"Good, good. Is that all?"

"The horses were killed by the last beast. Two mares and a stallion, the remains were butchered for 29 pieces of meat and three hides."

Brosso took a drag on his cigar, blowing the smoke into Bounce's face. She gave a cough, raising a hand to try and waft it away,

"Can you please not do tha-"

"How can I run a circus on five Nothings? Even I, Brosso the Magnificent, a noble Dwarf of a noble family with a noble history, he who ran the Northern Circus, wouldn't be able to run a circus like that. The best I could do is convince some militiadwarf to fight against them for the crowd's pleasure." he suddenly grabbed Bounce by the shoulder, "Which is not a bad idea come to think of it."

"I don't know if you can take these, you'd have to ask Derm-"

"Let me deal with the Sheriff. The problem is that five is a small number, and we don't have a steady stream of them. What we need is a mass-caging campaign, to cage all sorts of creatures to amaze the crowd. Ahh, back in the Northern Circus we had a pair of Voracious Cave Crawlers who were trained to do tricks, always a crowd-killer, by which I mean they amazed the crowd, not that they killed the crowd. That would be bad business."

"Well no doubt." the bookkeeper said with a sigh, deciding to renounce in changing the circus-director's mind.

"Well, I must be away, I have business in my office to attend to."

Seeing as he considered himself one of the more - if not the most - important figures in the community, Brosso had demanded an office. This had been met with the apathy and refusal he had come to expect from the lower-class riff-raff and Elf-loving ponces that seemed to multiply in this place. Brosso would see that Dwarven values and traditions and respect for his importance and noble-birth was ensured, but in the mean time he was once again forced to work himself, building himself a spacious office besides Derm's. He had filled it with three chairs, two for himself, and one for his top-hat. He also had two cabinets with his various plans in, and a coffer for his wealth. He had even made his own statue, one of Nekut Glowedguises, the goddess of the Moon. He had been told it looked more like a melting humanoid shape, but he ignored the naysayers.

Brosso stepped out of the cage stockpile, and moved towards the forges, only to stop and stare as he suddenly realised something. There was seven new forges around the magma pool, and two wood furnaces further on.

"Excuse me, Brosso?" came a voice. Brosso spun round, his top hat almost flying off. He recognized the Dwarf the voice had come from, Stronghammer Fireforge, one of the newcomers.

"Did you do all this?" Brosso asked him, waving a cigar towards the forges. Stronghammer nodded,

"Industry is the key to success." he said, quoting the ancient Dwarven classic 'The Art of Forges'.

"That indeed, though you'll want to watch out, I see some wood furnaces there, no doubt those Elves will kick up a fuss."

"Elves are no concern of mine, if they want to look after the trees they are free to go outside."

"Well said!" Brosso exclaimed, taking a puff on his cigar, and exhaling a cloud of smoke.

"I'm glad I bumped into you, Brosso. I was told you are the Dwarf to speak to about tradition."

"That indeed, I - along with Reg - seem to be one of the only in this place concerned about keeping it!"

"Yes, I've always felt it's important to keep tradition going, it has led us to victory and prosperity countless times through the ages." Stronghammer nodded, his calm voice the opposite of Brosso's loud exclamations,

"I'll drink to that!" Brosso said, "Here, ambulate with me," he motioned for the industrialist to follow, and walked off towards his circus with Stronghammer in tow, "here," he announced as they entered the work-in-progress circus, "is a work of grandeur, a piece of art. I am actually in the business, with the good Chief Medical Dwarf Reg Archist as my compeer, of carving a grand circus for all the world to see."

"There isn't much of the world left." Stronghammer said grimly, not letting Brosso's grand words overtake his logical manner.

"There's fifty Dwarves here, and more on the way I'm sure. Morale is important! And - after all - I am an artiste, the audience is waiting for a play, an opera, a show, and who am I to refuse? You see, an industrialist and a circus-director are made to get along. I have dug out some galena, sphalerite and malachite. With these ores I shall create the grandest circus known to all save the gods! Now, if you can smelt me those ores, I can ensure you not only your own private box in the circus, and any other forthcoming events, but also a way to strike a blow for Dwarven tradition! Stick with me and Reg, my good Stronghammer, and together we shall make of Nomekast and true Dwarven Fortress!"

20th Slate 677 - Evening

By the evening of the 20th Slate, the compound was all but finished. Urist was still linking the drawbridges up, but had insisted he could easily finish it before dinner. The entrance to Nomekast had almost been turned into an island, protected on three sides by a river.

With this protection in place, the inhabitants of the fortress could safely walk out into the fresh air and sun, while Rovod, Doc. Steve and Rar could safely fire bolts at anything outside of the walls, while livestock could graze on the grass. It was not completely finished, Shin had plans for towers, and had discussed with Bayar the possibility of adding catapults and ballistas, but for now, it stood as it was, a sign of Nomekast fighting back, they had struck a blow, and while the Nothing would recover, the community had more optimism now than ever before, things were on the up. They could only hope they stayed up.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 03:37:16 pm by Aequor »
[USE_GOOD_REASON:UNTHINKABLE]

ISGC

• Bay Watcher
  • Hatters Gonna Hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: April 27, 2011, 07:04:46 pm »

lol
beardpalm
also, finally, the number of dwarven traditionalists is growing
Fifteen men on a dead man's chest, Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: April 27, 2011, 08:09:14 pm »

"We've captured what!?

It had been a long week for Derm. The resent upsurge in architecture had left his desk more paper than stone. Out of the corner of his eye he could swear that a piece just did binary fission.

"Erm. We've caught some nothings." Bosso said, suddenly incredibly nervous. Here was the man who had saved the fort on numerous occasions, had extensive military training, a great big battle axe nestled against an overstuffed cabinet, and most importantly, was able to relocate him to clean out animal muck if pissed off.

"Oh don't tell me someone filed a damned piece of paper instead of, oh I dunno, TELLING ME TO MY FACE!"

Derm rummaged around in a pile to his left, shock waves making a particularly non-euclidean tower to his right cascade into a sad heap on the floor.

"Oh you have got to be kidding me," He said, peeking at a form near the bottom of the massive IN pile. "A fucking battle report, that's all they could be arsed to do!? Oh hey, we killed some nothings, nobody was injured, this blokes quiver needs to be refilled, oh one last thing, WE CAPTURED FIVE FUCKIN' ELDRITCH ABOMINATIONS IN WILLOW CAGES! NO BIG FUCKING DEAL, RIGHT!? NO NEED TO TELL THE DAMN SHERIFF, IT'S NOT LIKE HE'LL CARE!"

"Sir?" Bosso said, now incredibly frightened from the display. Paper was strewn everywhere from violent swings on an arm. A piece drooped in front of his face. It was a request for the privy to be cleaned out. He picked it up and stuffed it under the chair. It bunched up and crawled somewhere to do unpleasant things of its own accord.

Derm took a couple deep breaths and sat down, twitching slightly. "I'm fine, I'm fine." He thought of something. "Why did you ask about them anyway?"

Bosso brightened immediately. "You see, I plan to requisition the Nothing for my own personal circus! It will be a big hit! If I can tame the little buggers, I can..." Bosso was suddenly aware of a vague sense of doom normally awarded to narcoleptic raccoons on a major freeway. He had the presence of mind to notice Derm's eye twitching rapidly, and his hand reaching for the big battle axe next to his desk...

He was halfway down the hall when a scream of indignant rage broke down the door.

"A GODS DAMNED CIRCUS OF ALL THE RETARDED BULLSHIT I'VE HAD TO PUT UP WITH A FUCKING CIRCUS AAAAAAA I'LL KILL YOU I'LL FUCKING KILL ALL OF YOU AAAAAAAAAAAA" and rapidly degenerated into sounds not meant for the dwarven tongue.

The chase lasted three hours, disturbing every dwarf from his office to the dining hall, and was abruptly ended by Fori, with much ease of practice, flipping Derm, twisting his head, and stabbing her fingers into three parts of his back and neck. He immediately folded over like a sack of melted butter and began snoring. What happened next is lost to history but it was generally believed to be very touching if not a bit awkward.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: April 27, 2011, 08:18:42 pm »

Dear random diary:

Today Derm just went berserk. Normally, I would vote to have him relieved from his position.

Until I found the berserkness to be reasonable:

Last battle, we caught 5 Nothing.

What are we going to do with them?

Oh, nothing stupid like showing them off in a circus. Oh surely no way...

Yes, they're going into a goddamn circus. 'Effin Nothing in an 'effin circus.

I'm going to have to remember to punch Bosso before he dies when the Nothing get loose.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

TALLPANZER

• Bay Watcher
  • entity_TALLPANZER.txt
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: April 27, 2011, 09:58:38 pm »

A while after the incident, Mainhard rapped lightly on Derm's office "Hye be needink tue shpeak wifh hyu Sir." He waited for an answer.

in the lab, a clay jar sat on a table, it's lid slightly off, a strange blue glow can be seen within. Next to the table, two more jars sat flat to the ground, the word 'HEART' carved into both of them.
"So while a handful of psychopaths in lab coats are turning Japan into a land of mythological beasties to bang, the USSA's drowning in stupidity, China doesn't exist anymore, and Canada's just sitting there waiting for all this shit to blow over so they can go back to being Canada. Oh, and South Korea think they're Zerg now." <-Slag explains fallout in a nutshell

Stronghammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: April 27, 2011, 11:09:01 pm »

Log of Industry
Entry 2
I have successfully expanded are industrial capabilities, as well as have allied my self to Brosso on matters of tradition. I will definetly have to locate willing workers to help run the new industry. I however in the interest of the fortress will go and discuss with derm the possibility of running and maintaining the main industrial components of the fortress. I do not want the job for power as my friend Brosso seems to be doing, I want the job as i feel im the most qualified to be running large scale industry as that has been mine and my families business for generations. I can already see that many resources have been wasted on the local religion, which has obviously hindered the progress of industry. This i another reason that i seek the management position of the industry as the sherif is clearly unable to keep watch of it all, and clearly needs help with the work load. The number of non dwarves is quite astounding, especially the goblins....tsk..tsk. If the grand industrialist had seen the sight of kobolds he would have flipped. Well im off to enquire from thee sheriff, locate help for my industry, as well as to hopefully meet this Reg that Brosso spoke of, and to fill out the work requested by Brosso. Thankfully industry is prevailing.

(loving the way things are going and you have got my guy bang on the money great work)
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 11:14:08 pm by Stronghammer »

Stronghammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: April 28, 2011, 08:36:59 pm »

Loving everything so far i wonder how the elves are going to react to my "unethical" tree harvesting :P

Aequor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: April 30, 2011, 03:34:57 pm »

OK peeps, my hard drive has collapsed and decided that it'll never work again, so I've lost everthing on it. The backup I have of Nomekast extends back to before the attack onto the surface, I've played through it now, nothing major has changed (e.g. no deaths or the like) however this was before Kadzar's mood, so we've lost that artifact.

Since there's no major change except for Kadzar's mood, I'll go back through the posts and simply remove the references to it, then I can start on the next update.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: April 30, 2011, 10:24:41 pm »

Oh, that's a shame. Good thing you had a backup at all!
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Stronghammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: May 01, 2011, 02:40:35 am »

ah horrible luck. hopefully everything will be ok now, best of wishes.

bayar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: May 01, 2011, 08:59:41 am »

Sucks to hear that.  :'(

Aequor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: May 01, 2011, 07:33:52 pm »

Meh, could have been worse, I lost several save games and some (replaceable) school work, but the good thing is that I have a new hard drive that's twice the size now (600gb! Sheesh, I remember when 50 was considered limitless).

1st Felsite 677

More refugees had arrived while the coast was clear, nine Dwarves, an Elf and another Human. Of the Dwarves, they were split into two families, one with three children, the other with two. Furthermore they had brought with them a horse, a horse foal, and a donkey with a foal. Brosso immediately took charge of the animals, though they certainly weren't fantastical, they were the beginnings of his circus.

Derm had refused to allow the circus-director to use the captured Nothings for his show, instead they were under lock in their iron cages behind the lead doors. It was still as of yet unknown what to do with them, but there was talk of letting Torvold examine them and experiment. Ibruk for his part, had suggested sacrificing them to the magma, citing the Book of Ikeng, 'from magma does all life flow', since the Nothings were from the gods, let them return to them.

4th Felsite 677 - Afternoon

Gutusp was fuming. Since the arrival of the newcomer Dwarves, her own child, the spoil-of-war Elf-boy she had saved from the destruction of her home and dragged all the way here had taken to playing with their children. Playing! There were better things to do, things that the Goblin-raised Dwarf needed the boy to do while she was busy not doing them. It'd be laughable if it wasn't so infuriating. That boy was her slave, for her to be forced to waste time searching Nomekast for him was disgusting. Simply digusting. She finally located the Elf-boy playing down on the Fiery Cistern, in the area that had been cleared when Tarran had led a team of miners to find gold and silver. He was playing with the Dwarven children, as she suspected. She couldn't make out what exactly they were playing at, her Dwarven, while it may have improved a bit since she arrived, was still no good, and Goblin was all she spoke or wanted to speak. She guessed it must be some game involving nobility, considering one of the Dwarf-kids held a stick of tower-cap like a sceptre, while another kneeled before him. Another burst out from behind a pillar, waving sticks that branched out, almost like...tentacles!

A Nothing! These kids were playing some silly game involving queens and Nothings. Well, her kid had better things to do. She was about to give them a piece of her mind when Bax shot besides her. She was confused for a second, then saw Atis playing with the children. The two glanced at the children, then at each other,

"<<Slave problems?>>" Bax asked in their natural Goblin,

"<<Slave problems.>>" Gutusp confirmed. The two nodded, and burst out from behind the shale pillar they stood. Gutusp grabbed her Elf-boy by the ear, dragging him off while angrily chiding him in Goblin; Bax took Atis firmly by the collar and steered her away, likewise scolding her for leaving without asking him. As the two moved up towards the home level, they passed Sandra. Bax stopped a second,

"Ah, Sandra. You haven't seen Stas, have you? I-" he stopped as he noticed Sandra wasn't listening. She stood completely still, a glazed look in her eye, before she turned round and strode purposefully up towards the workshops.

5th Felsite 677 - Afternoon

Tarran watched as Muenster slotted in the last green glass window. He cast his eye over it, admiring the fine craftsdwarfship,

With a heave, the glassmaker slid the window into place, and stepped back,

"There, all done, and I'm quite proud o' it, if I do say so myself." he said, wiping his brow with the back of his hand.

"Beautifully done." the weaponsmith agreed. With the windows in place, his cottage was finally finished after almost three years of work. It had been a long struggle, but now he had his own place again, like in the old mountainhomes. He was the only one in all of Nomekast to have his own private property, complete with a lead dining-room, windows overlooking the lake and also the community, and a bedroom. Not to mention the currently empty rooms he could later put to good use.

9th Felsite 677 - Morning

Brosso had been humiliated by that Elf-loving sheriff, Derm. And worse still had been denied the Nothing that would have been his star attractions. Though the noble Dwarf had been grossly attacked and chased (chased! A Dwarf of his stature!) he knew there was little he could do. He still had the horses and donkeys the new refugees had arrived with, and the cage traps in the caverns would eventually yield results, he hoped. Presently he was on his way to check up on his performing animals, which had been put out to graze in the surface compound. The circus-director shielded his eyes with his tophat as he stepped out into the morning sun. He'd have to eventually speak with Derm about putting a roof on this surface area, to shield them from the harsh glare of the burning sun.

The first thing he noticed was that the horses were neighing in alarm, eyes fixated on an area above and behind Brosso. A bolt thudded into the dirt in front of the horse foal. Brosso spun round, and saw where it had come from,

He swore an ancient Dwarven curse. He had to get his performers to safety!

This plan, however, was stopped as he saw another group rapidly approaching,

The Dwarf shot into the cover of the entrance to Nomekast. Beckoning and calling wildly for the animals to follow him. However, they were in too much alarm as bolts began to rain down on them. The donkey foal shot across the bridge out into the valley, only to find itself nose-to-nose with another squad of infected Goblins,

The bridge! Brosso had to close it, before the Goblins got across! It was up to him to save the fort! Summoning his strength, the circus-director sprinted to the lever, and with a last forlorn look at his hoped-for circus performers' pincushioned bodies, pulled it. The bridge rose, sealing Nomekast off once more. Outside the Goblins rained death, until they stalked off, waiting for their next prey, leaving the horse and donkey corpses to rot in the bright sun.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Derm swiftly summoned everyone to the dining-area, to tell them of the news Brosso brought. If the infected Goblins were ambushing, that meant the Nothing couldn't be far behind. Not only that, but the outside compound was vulnerable to crossbows and bows shooting from the valley above.

"So the answer is simple." Shin said, crossing her arms, "Take out these Goblins, then we can quickly wall off the vulnerable side to the north, not only that, we can add in fortifications on the walls, so we can shoot at them."

"Oh yes, I'm sure our well-trained force of...five - at most! - can beat the dozen or so Goblin soldiers out there." Reg snarked.

"What are you on about? There's more than five." Melagius interrupted.

"I said well-trained. Just because Fori occasionaly wields a sword doesn't make her the equivalent of Rion."

"You leave Fori out of this! And Rion too!" Derm said angrily, Fori put a hand on his shoulder, a reminder to the sheriff to not let his temper get the better of him again. The doctor held up his hands,

"All I'm saying is, we've lost enough people. Let's not go rushing blindly in with a group of rag-tag militia against well-trained, well-equipped troops."

"Can we even call them troops? They seem to be little more than Nothing in Goblin shapes." Torvold mused.

"The Human leading them was certainly a troop." Brosso said, "He had a bone crown no less."

"Another necromancer no doubt." Volrath growled.

"One chosen by the gods to lead their cleansing creatures across the-" Ibruk began,

"Shut up!" growled an infuriated Tarran, "It's bad enough you steal our silver without your constant preaching."

This set off a round of fierce argument which as always devolved into Ibruk and his followers on one side, and the rest of the community on the other, with the uninterested forming a third side. By the time evening approached, nothing had yet been decided, and with night falling, nothing could be done, it being too dark to hunt the Goblins. The issue would have to wait.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

In the dark of the night Rakust's corpse lay rotting in the mud of the Fiery Cistern. The traitor that had indirectly caused Rion and Johann's deaths, as well as the attempted death of Derm and Fori had been impaled on her own sword, or rather, dusted by her own Forgotten Beast. However there was a shift in the air, an impossible breeze in the caves. A wispy cloud rose up from the corpse, to form a floating ghostly Dwarf.

What was she doing here? Ah yes, memories came flooding back to her. She had been killed, betrayed by Osman Umbralsprits and his Master. Her ex-Master. The Third Mystery had been a lie all along. Generations of necromantic rites built upon a lie, it almost made her smile.

She was a ghost, one of the undead she had controlled and used for so long. The Nothing had weakened the barriers between the worlds of the living and the dead, and so by chance her soul had lingered in this world, unable to get through to the other. A lesser soul might be distraught now, confined to haunting old friends and family in hopes of reminding them to bury them and let them rest.

But she had nobody to bury her.

And she wanted revenge. Revenge on the master that had betrayed her, revenge on the community that had been the indirect cause of her death. She flexed her ghostly fingers, these were no good for manipulating the matter of this world, but she had other tools. The Third Mystery was maybe a lie, but the others might not be.

A group of red-scaled creatures had spotted her, advancing slowly towards her, unsure of what she was.

The ghostly Dwarf grinned. Crundles, once the King of Hell's minions, now just mindless creatures driven by instinct. The perfect candidates to use to test whether she could still use her necromantic powers. She was about to try when a crazy idea came into her mind. If she combined the Seventh and Last Mysteries, could she not...

She grinned a ghostly grin. Holding her hand out, palm outstretched, she spoke the words. A sudden wind flew through the caves, and a darker darkness fell around the caves, blotting out even the shine of Rakust's ghostly essence on the gemstones. A shimmering darkness rose under each crundle's feet, rising up like tendrils of smoke, covering them. When the smoke dissipated the crundles had changed.

The newly-desecrated crundles bowed before their maker. An ethereal laugh escaped Rakust's lips. This was what she'd do, turn the entire underground into her own army, and then lead it onto the surface to ravage the world.

Stronghammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: May 01, 2011, 07:47:11 pm »

Arguing again. Thought Stronghammer, such a waste of are resources. He had as of yet been unable to talk to anyone about coming to work in his plan of industry, he also had been unable to discuss with Derm the idea of himself taking over the management of the economic and industrial side of things to help assist derm. He shook his head, such an aweful waste though i must continue my attempts at conversing with derm and my plans for the industry. His thoughts continued to run on as the argument continued its predictable course.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 07:57:25 pm by Stronghammer »

AKingsQuest

• Bay Watcher
  • The king lost his golden pantaloons, go find them.
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: May 02, 2011, 07:53:49 pm »

Volrath Blacksteel diary entry 8:The Nightmares, I can't stand the fucking nightmares any more.Every night he taunts me as he tortures my body and soul.I... maybe I need to explane what the fuck im talking about.He came to me in a dream one night.I don't know who or what he is.He could me a demon a nothing or evil ghost, I just don't fucking know.He asked me to let him take over and he would give me power but I told him to fuck off.He did not, instead he started trying break me.Im  fighting back but he is slowly wining.I think that I am now seeing him some times when im awake. Just for a seconed, in the corner of my eye, I see a man covered in darknes but when I turn to look his gone.If that is him and If he is no longer just in my dreams, I don't have long before he takes over.I need to do somthing now, and for that I need the elders help.
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 76