Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 76

Author Topic: [Community] Nomekast - At War with Nothing  (Read 180280 times)

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
Re: [Community] Nomekast - Hiding from Nothing
« Reply #585 on: April 16, 2011, 06:09:02 pm »

The... blind person is forging in magma? How is he going to keep from having his hands burned off?
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: April 16, 2011, 06:10:58 pm »

I'd say from intimately learning the laws of convection.

AKA: Hands warm = okay, Hands hot = Bad, Hands burning = OHGOD
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: April 16, 2011, 06:20:33 pm »

Must require pretty slow smelting, since it usually takes a while for your hands to register heat. Especially dwarven hands.
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Ahra

• Bay Watcher
  • Immoveable, Indestuctible
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: April 16, 2011, 06:28:50 pm »

take away sight and your other senses get sharper.
And then the horror hits: This was just spring.
We are SOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo fucked.
Quite fucked indeed.

ISGC

• Bay Watcher
  • Hatters Gonna Hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: April 16, 2011, 08:55:53 pm »

Reg began feeling happier after the party.  He had finally received that office (that he requested a year and a half ago) and there was nothing quite like a dwarven party!  Yes, it's true, all your troubles will simply wash a way with a tankard of dwarven ale.  There was a song that Reg was quite fond of.  "Keeper of the Bees", it was called (Reg had an almost childlike fascination with them).  A single dwarf started off:
"Have you, have you, have you heard
'Bout the Keeper of the bees?
even to dwarves, bees he preferred
had buzzin' bugs from shoulders to knees!

All day, all day, all day and night
he buzzed that bloody song
wearin' a beard O' bees, the afternoon breeze
and a dirty old cow leather thong"

and the rest would chime in:
"The keeper, keeper, keeper
The keeper of the bees!
Put on some clothes!
(NO!)
You'll decompose!
(NO!)
he does whatever he please!"

"And soon and soon and soon he ran
through the fortress halls he flew!
He'd been round those blasted bees so long
That the keeper started buzzin' too!"

and so the song went on, taking a swig of ale after every "blasted buzzing blacken bugs". 
Nomekast finally seemed to be getting itself together.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2011, 08:57:47 pm by ISGC »
Fifteen men on a dead man's chest, Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum

Stronghammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: April 21, 2011, 12:59:48 am »

Hi i just joined the forums after i read about this awesome fortress. I was wondering if you were still taking dwarves as i would like to join up. In the event that you are excepting migrants i would like to be a dwarf, male, proffesion: Industrialist. His personality is one of extreme calm and logical thinking. He is not quick to anger, sadden, make happy or other wise change emotions. However he really does love all forms of industry and the more matierials industry consumes and the more smoke it makes the happier he is. He is very based on old dwarven tradition as it has proven to stand the test of time.
 History: Stronghammer Fireforge had come from a long line of industrialists. He learned his trade from his father who learned it from his father. His family had ran the industry for a distant northern outpost were they would mine and craft some of the best metal items seen and trade it with the south. However his family monopoly on industry was devestated by the Nothings as his clan had no warriors having completely relied on their mighty traps and the strength of thier industry to crush the enemy. Since then he has been on the run looking for a safe and new home to be able to once again build a strong and mighty industrial clan.

Thanks again for considering me really hope i can join. :D

And sorry to all of you who think this is an actual post from author.

« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 01:16:33 am by Stronghammer »

magmaholic

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hello again"- canadian stalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: April 21, 2011, 08:50:36 am »

I'd say from intimately learning the laws of convection.

AKA: Hands warm = okay, Hands hot = Bad, Hands burning = OHGOD
this.
lol.
now i can just wait :3
and to those,who dont know how cherry opals look like:
imagine these instead of eyeballs :v
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 07:45:54 pm by magmaholic »
I am a Goober.

Aequor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: April 23, 2011, 04:59:27 pm »

Stronghammer - Thanks and sure thing! You're lucky, migrants have just arrived! ;) Bio up on the first post.

1st Slate 677

Under Reg and Steve's insistence a room had been carved out to isolate Volrath in. If something had infected Volrath, it would be sure that it wouldn't be able to escape if the great lead door that led into the room was locked.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

2nd Slate 677 - Morning

For days now the group of refugees had been trekking across the vast expanse of what had once been the mighty Empire of the Humble Nations, but had since disintegrated into fighting warlords since the Nothing had attacked. They had passed through mountains, forests, deserts, plains, gaining people from other refugee groups, losing people to attacks by either desperate bandits or by the Nothing. Now a ragtag group of mostly Humans escaping the Humble Nations, with several Dwarves, they had waded through the Swamps of Tunnelling, led by a Dwarven industrialist named Stronghammer Fireforge. They had heard from some caravans of a haven for refugees by the name of Nomekast in these areas, and so had made their way here.

They had camped for the night on top of a valley, sleeping arranged in a defensive circle, with the pack animals at the sides and three sentries.

The sentries had fallen asleep.

As the first rays of light rose in the east of the valley, one sentry got a rude awakening when a lizard scurried across his face, the Human gave a yelp and shot up, this roused Stronghammer who pulled himself up and ran a hand through his beard, yawning, squinting to try and see where the sentry was, unable to see as the Human was sat in the same direction the sun was, blinding the Dwarf if he looked.

"By the hammers of the mines, what is it boy?" he whispered, trying not to wake the others. The sentry shrugged a nothing, then turned round, only to be beset by a horde of red eyes and black bodied detaching themselves in the light. Instinct caused him to scream and he jumped up. In seconds the camp was aroar with noise.

Chaos reigned as everyone ran their own way, desperate to escape the horde that had somehow managed to move right next to them. Some ran up the valley, many however, saw the lighthouse of Nomekast like a beacon of hope, and ran towards it, hoping to find safety.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

The refugee group had been spotted when Loral had gone up to the lighthouse for some fresh morning air before the rigours of the day began. Like a demon he made his way down the ramps into the caverns and warned the militia. Tarran looked pointedly at Derm,

"Welp, sheriff, there's apparently an entire horde up there. I think today-" he began.

"Is a good day as any to make out attack on the surface." Derm finish, grimacing.

"We'll need to hurry," Rovod said, shouldering a quiverfull of bolts, "those poor people aren't going to survive if we don't help."

"We put the plan in action." Derm nodded, "Fori, Torvold, are the defences ready?"

"As good as they'll be." Fori said.

"They best we have, lad." Torvold agreed.

"Right, anyone who can wield a weapon get up to the trap-tunnel, Bayar and Urist will man the ballistas, get Reg on standby; Steve, you're on medic duty, any wounded go down straight away to Reg. Meinhard and his Jagers will draw the refugees in, and draw the Nothing in after them, after which we let the traps and ballistas do their work, and the militia will then go out and mop up the rest."

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

The sentry who had given the alarm didn't last long, being almost immediately mauled by several Nothing and torn to shreds. Screams filled the air as everyone scattered. Stronghammer remained calm, scanning the horizon. His eye fell straight onto the lighthouse; that had to be the tower of Nomekast he had been told about. He tried to rally the rest of the refugees and tell them to make for it and his efforts were rewarded when some of the more level-headed of the group heard him and began spreading the word; make for the tower across the narrow stone bridge that spanned the stream Squeezemunch.

That was when he saw them, three figures emerging from the ground. Two were unmistakenly Dwarves, one seemed to be a Human, but very much taller and broader than most, and was that blue skin? The three were waving their spears and arms, beckoning the refugees towards them. They had to be from Nomekast, he had heard from one group of traders that the community had two entrances: a drawbridge in the valley-side and a hole in the ground.

"Over there!" Stronghammer called, trying to draw people to the soldiers from Nomekast, "get to them!"

It took some more shouting, but soon the refugees were making their way to Meinhard and his Jagers,

"Hokay, get in dere! Quick!" the mutated Human called, to the point of pushing people down into the tunnel. Eventually all the refugees - the surviving ones - had made their way in, six Humans and three Dwarves. Meinhard herded the last in, then he and his Jagers, faced the Nothing, who were making their way down the valley,

"Hy think dey iz comink to see us, let's go." he said, and he and his proteges moved down into the tunnel, moving across the drawbridges and past the ballistas manned by Urist and Bayar.

"Right! Get ready to fire!" Tarran called, unsheathing his sword. First they would slaughter the Nothing who came down, then they would move onto the offensive outside.

"Ready?" Urist Imiknorris asked the Kobold feet away from him, hefting the ballista so it faced down the corridor.

"I ready. Kobolds face worse before." the rodent-creature told him, also aiming his ballista.

Soon the Nothing began moving into the tunnel, a slow but steady stream of them. This was how to attacked, human wave tactics, or rather; Nothing wave tactics, it didn't matter how many you killed, more would arrive.

"The traps should get them, no?" Ocade asked, the semi-darkness making it harder for his sharp Elven eyes to see to the end of the corridor.

"Oh yes." Rar assured him, cracking a smile as he saw and heard the rocks falling down onto the Nothing.

"Heh, I'm willing to bet my beard Brosso will want those Nothing for his circus." Melagius muttered.

"Get ready to fire!" Tarran called to Urist and Bayar. The two nodded, hands twitching on the lever of the ballistas.

"Wait until Nothing close." Bayar muttered, sending a prayer to the Ascended Ones as a small film of sweat broke out across his forehead, nervousness creeping in.

"Get ready..." Urist murmured, "and...fire!"

The first few salvoes proved to be a massacre, especially with the stone and weapon traps that crushed, sliced, and diced the invaders.

"No more ballista bolts!" Urist called up to the assembled militia.

"OK! We'll move in now, and mop up what's left!" Tarran called. The militia prepared their weapons, and ventured out through the bloody killing field that was the tunnel, killing the few Nothing left alive in it.

Outside there was still at least three dozen Nothing left. However they were arranged in a long column stretching from the abandoned refugee camp to the tunnel, a slow stream leading to attack Nomekast. This made it a simple business for the militia to simply attack the head of the column and push forward, slaughtering the monsters.

However, the moment they reached the top of the valley it was a different story altogether.

"Oh gods, get ready!" Derm warned, preparing his sword.

"This is gonna be a battle to remember." Muenster said, hefting his mace.

"Do the best you can, and kill every last one of them!" Rashem declared, waving his hammer and charging, his beard up and his Dwarven fighting instincts taking over. With a cry the assembled militia and weaponusers charged into the horde.

The battle was intense. Dwarf, Human, Elf, Kobold and Goblin fought with their best. Ocade distinguished himself with his vicious, almost psychopathic, strikes, often carving a Nothing up and leaving it maimed in pain for another to finish. Hammer of the Gods wielded her hammer with such zealotry that it actually managed to smash a Nothing's tentacle off at one point, all while she called praises to the gods. Fori was a whirl of sword-strikes, using her Elven knowledge of biology to strike the creatures' weak points. Tarran and Derm together smashed into horde like a hot knife through butter, their sword and axe making short work of the creatures. Loral, like Fori, was a whirl of sword-strokes, though he was noticeably more than willing to make the Nothing suffer before ending it. Rar, Steve and Rovod rained death from afar with their crossbows, piercing the Nothing with so many arrows that on some of the creatures it seemed there was more bolts than Nothing in their body. Gutusp wielded her sword with viciousness, slamming it through Nothing flesh with strong strokes. Sandra, on her part, took no chances, and struck while keeping herself safe. Muenster and his mace seemed to be like one of the heroes of ancient tales, taking Nothing down like they were flies. Xenos and his spear proved their worth, the Kobold's short height making it pretty easy to strike up into a Nothing's face with his spear; while Meinhard speared Nothing like whales with a harpoon. Melagius meanwhile, proved that he was the Dwarf that had killed two forgotten beasts, slicing through Nothing like they were made of paper.

Eventually the beasts all lay slain, their bodies dissipating into the black wispy substance they were made off, but leaving the place stained with their blood.

The militia quickly took stock of the situation; Melagius was wounded with a broken arm, Ocade had received a broken hand as had Sandra,  Gutusp had several nasty cuts to the torso, one of Meinhard's Jagers was crippled with a broken leg, Xenos had several cuts, as did Muenster, and Hammer that seemed quite deep and would no doubt need looking at by Reg.

Importantly though; no one had died.

And now the outside was clear - for a while at least - so that the community could prepare to expand on the surface.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 02:44:40 pm by Aequor »
[USE_GOOD_REASON:UNTHINKABLE]

bayar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: April 23, 2011, 05:13:08 pm »

Epic. That is all.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: April 23, 2011, 05:47:03 pm »

...That's.... that's a lot of blood. Good god.

Welp, I'm pretty sure Armok is happy now.

Julius Clonkus

• Bay Watcher
  • [NIGHTMARE_FETISHIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: April 23, 2011, 05:54:45 pm »

When I opened the picture of the two armies assembled and ready to charge at each other, the music I was listening to entered the epic choir of awesome part.

I agree with the music, this was just epic.

Apart from that, it makes me want to try to stand my own against the Nothing. If the required files are somewhere in this thread of masterfully woven epic, I seem to be unable to find them, although I could've sworn they were around here somewhere at some point.
Holy schist, this thread is mica me sick.
DF Players never truly leave.  They just abandon the fortress for a few years and then reclaim.

ISGC

• Bay Watcher
  • Hatters Gonna Hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: April 23, 2011, 05:58:57 pm »

fantastic!
but I'm a little disappointed no one died.
don't think this was eventful enough for Reg to write anything up.
good job, though :D
Fifteen men on a dead man's chest, Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum

Aequor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: April 23, 2011, 06:07:42 pm »

Epic. That is all.
Thanks! ;D

...That's.... that's a lot of blood. Good god.

Welp, I'm pretty sure Armok is happy now.
Then entire surface is pretty much blood covered, its just full of corpses and bones, a real boneyard. I'm sure it'd make a lovely painting though. :P

When I opened the picture of the two armies assembled and ready to charge at each other, the music I was listening to entered the epic choir of awesome part.

I agree with the music, this was just epic.

Apart from that, it makes me want to try to stand my own against the Nothing. If the required files are somewhere in this thread of masterfully woven epic, I seem to be unable to find them, although I could've sworn they were around here somewhere at some point.
Thanks! ;) I was listening to The Decembrist's 'This Is Why We Fight' while writing it, for a song that's not all that fast-paced and loud, it does manage to make fights seem epic too.

I'm not sure if I've put the Nothing RAWs up before, but here they are;

fantastic!
but I'm a little disappointed no one died.
don't think this was eventful enough for Reg to write anything up.
good job, though :D
Yep, there was just a few broken bones and some scratches. It looks like I'll need to toughen the Nothing up, maybe give them adamantine skin or something. :P
[USE_GOOD_REASON:UNTHINKABLE]

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: April 23, 2011, 06:18:40 pm »

I would write a journal entry of sorts but it appears that I have become ill. (My nose started bleeding as I wrote this sentance.)

Good work, want to see more, etcetera.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Stronghammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: April 23, 2011, 07:04:39 pm »

Log of Industry
Entry 1
We had arrived upon the edge of the valley that contains nomekast sometime the night before. We had all decided to camp and in the morning walk down to find the entrance to this place of legends. Before bed my mind was full of wonderous thoughts and ideas. Ideas of smoke and fire, running mines deep, and industries churning out endless weapons of war. The thoughts were so pleasent i nodded off. I awoke with a start at the sentry who had suddenly cried out. After i found out it was nothing i prepared to once again return to slumber when the sentry screamed, i turned ready to tell him what i thought about all the screaming when we saw them.....the Nothing. For me the Nothing is not some unbeatable beast, and definetely not a curse of a god, no for me they are the anti-thesis of everything i hold dear. Where i have fire to melt steel, and light the forges they have darkness all encompassing, where i had smoke and hammer of industry, they have tentacle and death of destruction. For me the Nothing was an emptiness and lacking of all i hold dear. I knew we had to escape, so i scanned the horizon for nomekast or a mode of escape. When i saw it a tower told to us by the brave tradesmen of this country. I tried to alert as many of the others as i could and then ran as quickly and calmly as i could never bating an eye just running. Sudden out popped three figures to lead us to safety.......a Human? Probably a mercenary, i will inquire latter. We hurried under ground past bridge, trap, and ballista. We werer passing the militia when i noticed other figures clearly not dwarf yet i was running to quickly to sort out what they were. I enter the city proper and now am safe. Now i must find the leader and tell him or her my talents and see if we can setup and industry to rival all others and to push back the nothing,.....also not to self find leader of dwarven traditions and find out about the non dwarfs.

Thanks for including me great so far hope i didn't write to much
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 76