Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 76

Author Topic: [Community] Nomekast - At War with Nothing  (Read 180273 times)

bayar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [Community] Nomekast - Hiding from Nothing
« Reply #555 on: March 24, 2011, 04:00:51 pm »

Voting for Derm.

ISGC

• Bay Watcher
  • Hatters Gonna Hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: March 24, 2011, 05:06:10 pm »

another vote for the two of us :)
Fifteen men on a dead man's chest, Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum

Fortis

• Bay Watcher
  • Suspected Elf Sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: March 24, 2011, 05:07:05 pm »

Of course, my vote will go to Derm. He has proven himself to be an able leader, a good fighter in times of war and an industrious worker in times of peace. I think he has a strong sense of justice and honor too.

As for the offer of becoming an opera singer, I must decline. There is simply too much still to do at this fort for me to while away my time upon a stage. Nor do I have any great desire for fame or to become a primadonna. In truth, I think it would be rathet isolating. I’d rather work with the dwarves upon the farm, as simply one of their friends, than to be distant from them on the stage. To me, stars and primadonnas always seemed rather unapproachable in comparison. Besides, my songs aren’t wasted. They help the plants and crops to grow. If anyone wants to hear me sing, they’re welcome to come and listen.

Mangled

• Bay Watcher
  • Sleep is for the weak.
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: March 25, 2011, 02:39:17 am »

One for Derm.

Rashemd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: March 25, 2011, 09:23:43 am »

I vote for Derm (a person that magically seems to be in every fort/RTD i read and seemingly make it singlehandedly epic)
Welp they always say ‼LOSING‼ is ‼FUN‼.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: March 25, 2011, 09:39:36 am »

I vote for Derm (a person that magically seems to be in every fort/RTD i read and seemingly make it singlehandedly epic)

:)

I have both forums subscribed, so I have first pick.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 09:42:08 am by dermonster »
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

TALLPANZER

• Bay Watcher
  • entity_TALLPANZER.txt
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: March 26, 2011, 05:17:51 am »

Things had been moving fast for Mainhard after the battle. The first thing he did was make sure the body of the forgotten beast butchered, and when the heart was removed he took it. Putting the heart in it's own sealed barrel that was then left in a cold place. Next he got all his Jagers together.

"Hokay boyz Hy iz goink to neet hyu to look all 'bout dis heer fort. Iz time ve know dis place, dis place iz part uuf our huntink ground. Top to bottum, inzide eed oot, I vant hyu lookink every vere. Move nothink, touch nothink, ve iz only lookink. Hyu must know da huntink ground Better den your own beard! I haz to go get zomethink. It vill take time."
"So while a handful of psychopaths in lab coats are turning Japan into a land of mythological beasties to bang, the USSA's drowning in stupidity, China doesn't exist anymore, and Canada's just sitting there waiting for all this shit to blow over so they can go back to being Canada. Oh, and South Korea think they're Zerg now." <-Slag explains fallout in a nutshell

Aequor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: March 28, 2011, 05:38:23 pm »

1st Limestone 676 - Evening

Derm had won the vote, by passing the Reg and Brosso ticket by several votes. With this victory, he became Nomekast's first Sheriff.

Spartan and Delta were digging him out some offices where he could work, rationalizing that it would prove difficult trying to keep the peace without somewhere to keep the paperwork, or at least, to think. For the first time, Nomekast had something resembling a leader, a centralized authority. Even if Derm had no real powers, his word had weight, and he was trusted enough that he would be able to prevent any particular excesses that the temple had taken, or any brawls in the community.

1st Sandstone 676

Work had begun on Brosso's circus, that is to say, Brosso had begun work on his circus, despite having tried to pressure anyone he saw into doing it for him. Reg gave him a hand when he could, but his medical duties kept him busy. Clearly a grand circus in a community of 45 - of which more than a fifth were not even Dwarves (and so could not hope to understand the glory of his ideas) was not the easiest of things to do, but Brosso was not called 'The Magnificent' for nothing, and by pick or by shovel this circus would be finished.

At first he had hoped to build it up on the home level, but space was already too limited, and he was forced to relocate his magnus opus down to the Fiery Cistern. Here he was to build his grand vision. He could see it in his mind's eye already, a grand pillared entrance, alcoves bearing great statues of Dwarven heroes, the walls engraved with scenes of the many champions of Dwarven tradition. Then it would lead down into the circus proper, filled with many a quaint and curious creature, ranging from horses to the misshapen monsters of the lower levels. It would be a great affair, a circus worthy of a Dwarf like him, and the pride of the entire Dwarven race.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Down on the Fiery Cistern, a magma forge had been toppled by a voracious cave crawler.
By chance, Hammer of the Gods had been passing, and barely without stopping, she batted the creature into the magma with her hammer, and continued on to evening prayers.

It became clear that the cave crawler had come over the drawbridge linking the colonized part of the Fiery Cistern out to the wildlands. At first it was proposed to simply raise it - it had been left down since Osman's a forgotten beast's attack and not since raised, since Loral, Hammer, and Ukrzum had taken to hunting, to increase the fort's food supply. It was Brosso who argued against, instead, he suggested putting cave traps. Ostensibly this was more 'humane' and 'simple', but truthfully, it was a way to capture beasts for his circus.

7th Timber 676 - Afternoon

Tragedy struck once more as Johann was found unconscious on the Fiery Cistern, pale as a corpse. He was rushed to hospital, but there was little Reg or Steve could do. It seemed that he had lost a lot of blood from his wounds he had received against the Nothing reopening, coupled with severe infection. With no soap, Reg was unable to clean the wound. Again, like Rion, his friends and fellow-militiadwarves stood by his bedside, trying to comfort him, to no avail.

By morning he was gone, another victim of Osman a forgotten beast and his Nothing's attack, another veteran and soldier gone, another tomb for Nomekast, another soul for Id the Stonefather.

Life seemed intent on ensuring that the residents of Nomekast had no rest however, as soon infection claimed another victim - Kol Akmamdomas, a militiadwarf. She had killed a troll and several Nothing, and was found down by the animal pastures, where she had ostensibly collapsed from exhaustion and infection, and eventually died.

However, though life seemed intent on tragedy, a single event of some happiness - or maybe just more sadness if you saw it as another soul damned for the world - the birth of a baby boy. Ushrir, born the son of Kogsak Uzkilrud and of Reg Medtobiger, one of Meinhard's Jagers, was the first Dwarf - or otherwise - to be born in Nomekast, the first child who would grow up never knowing the world before the Nothing.

In the midst of his birth, two funerals took place. The slow, deep rough chants of the Dwarvish religious rites of the dead filled the night air, and Johann and Kol were put to rest in the earth they had come from and that had bore them through life, to be reunited with lost friends, loves, family and ancestors. Straight after the ceremonies, Ibruk vanished, retreating away to think, meditate, whatever, it was perhaps the only thing that saved him from another shouting match with Reg over another death his gods couldn't prevent.

16th Moonstone 676

The day greeted Nomekast much like any other, they had struggled through the past few months, but once again life came back down to a simple routine. That routine was broken though, when a sudden event happened;

A ghostly baby sidled through the community, coming down from above. He said nothing, but clearly was looking for something. It was Bounce who saw the ghostly Astesh first. She gave a half-yelp-half-scream, dropping her records, and leaping back in surprise. This alerted the others, and soon others came to see.

"Bobrur..." the ghost said, his voice echoed, and had an otherwordly reverberation to it. He turned this way and that, looking for something, "Bobrur..."

All of a sudden, Fori gave a cry, her eyes beginning to shine with tears, she had understand the word, she had understand what Astesh wanted,

"Its mother," she wept, "he's looking for his mother." Derm took her by the shoulders, reaching up, trying to comfort her.

"This is-" Tarran began, frowning sadly, "this is..." he struggled to find the right word.

"Necromancy?" Volrath growled, coming up behind him. His hands were still in their slings, it seemed for now he had escaped the infection that had killed Johann and Kol.

"No." came a voice, it was Ibruk, back from his meditations, "This-" he said, looking sadly at the baby who was still looking for a mother who was gone and dead, "this is the Fall of Life, prophesied by Blind Prophet of the Broken Rock."

"This is a travesty of life," Fori said, anger edging into her voice through her tears, "will even the dead have no peace?"

"The barriers between this world and that of the dead are weakening. The living had made a pact with the gods to keep the dead dead. But now the Pact is finished, the unburied dead can no longer cross the barrier. The gods are destroying the world to remake it, the Pact is void." Ibruk said sadly, leaning on his cane.

"Well what can we do?" Tarran asked, frowning.

"The only thing we can do is bury him, with the proper rites, the soul will be able to cross." Kadzar explained.

"But we don't have this...this poor boy's body. How can we bury the bodiless?" Muenster said.

"'As long the rites be given, thy dead shall be at peace; for the dead must be remembered.'" Ibruk, said, quoting the Dwarven scriptures. There was a long silence. It was Xenos who thought of the idea,

"Rites." the Kobold said, in his broken Dwarvish, "rites not say put body in ground?"

"Not specifically." Ibruk admitted.

"Must remember dead, so make tomb without body?"

"Os' beard, he's right." Muenster exclaimed, "The rites for the dead never mention burial, we can simply memorialize this poor boy, and his soul might then be at peace!"

"What do you mean? Make a tomb, but put no body in?" Hammer of the Gods asked, perplexed.

"How? We don't even know his name." Steve said, waving a hand towards the ghostly baby.

"Astesh." came a voice. It was Nish, wife of the farmer Sibrek who had been killed by the giant cavespider Mysterdrip. She had joined the temple and become one of Ibruk's most loyal followers. Presently, she stood with tears in his eyes, "Astesh Letkadmuthkat. I remember him, he was the baby of Ilral, one of the refugees travelling with me and Sibrek. A Nothing got him and his mother."

"This is sickening." Steve said, and he left, going to clear his head. Several people agreed, unable to watch the ghostly child look for its mother any longer, and they left, followed by more, until only Astesh was left, calling for his mother.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

A memorial slab was soon carved to Astesh, and purified with the proper rites. It was placed down in the cemetery under the temple, not with the buried, but in a new chamber, for those without bodies.
It seemed Xenos had guessed correctly, as, no sooner than the slab placed, and the rites finished, the ghost of Astesh vanished like a cloud of mist.

But before he had vanished, he had traced something in the dirt, defying his age and knowledge, as if something had possessed him,

Yes, another forgotten beast ::) I swear this fort is in the center of a forgotten beast meeting ground or something.
[USE_GOOD_REASON:UNTHINKABLE]

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: March 28, 2011, 05:47:26 pm »

Oh smack. Not only is Osman killing after death, but now we've got another goddamned Forgotten beast!

"...Did anyone else feel that rumble?"
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: March 28, 2011, 06:15:51 pm »

I AM

I am alone this time. My office not yet fully furnished, lacking a few cabinets to store excess papers and workstuffs.

THOUGH MY FOUR LEGS ETERNALLY TROD UPON THE MIDWORLD I HAVE COME

Images flashed through my eyes. A great alligator snarled in front of me. Something else appeared, sidling just out of view.

THE PROGENITOR IS ANGRY AT YOUR DEFIANCE. HIS PLANS ARE NOT TO BE DISOBEYED.

I turn to see, straining my senses.
A child sits, phased into the darkness.
He stares at me, and dissipates in a white flash.
A barrier is broken. my mind becomes clear.
I am furious.

I AM THE MIND OF FORESIGHT. THIRD SCRIBE OF HIS GRAND SCHEMES.

"No..."

MY WEBS SHALL-

"NO!"

WHA-

But it is too late for him. The sight of the ghost-child is too much to bear. I cannot allow this to happen again.
My mind breaks through the pain, I grab for the weapon that rests by my desk.
A light breaks in my hand, a glowing blue blade rests in my palm.

SO THE RUMOR WAS TRUE.

"SHUT UP! I say as I swing the weapon through his leg.

The gator laughs. SO LONG HAS IT BEEN SINCE THE LAST ONE. SO LONG HAS IT BEEN SINCE THE LAST ɐuıɯns ıuɔnɹsıo.

I attack again, the glowing axe singing through the air and slicing off a wing.
The great monstrosity stamps a foot down, knocking me over and pinning me.

YOU STILL HAVE MUCH TO LEARN, AND WE HAVE NO INTENTION OF LETTING YOU PRACTICE.

He leaned forward.

YOU ARE THE FIRST pǝns ǝןǝɔʇns IN A THOUSAND YEARS, AND YOU SHALL BE THE LAST.

He laughs as the world fades away.

BE WARNED, WE WILL NOT STOP COMING. WE ARE ENDLESS. THE PIT KNOWS NO FEAR, THE MASTER KNOWS NO MERCY, THE DEEPS WILL SWALLOW YOU. I PROMISE YOU THIS.

It grins.

YOU WILL DIE, AND YOUR WORLD WILL END WITH YOU.

My office swirls into view, the last remnants of his words ringing through the room.

I dash outside. "Call the military! We have a beast in the depths!
« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 06:19:27 pm by dermonster »
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

ISGC

• Bay Watcher
  • Hatters Gonna Hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: March 28, 2011, 08:28:38 pm »

"Blast it all, Brosso," the doctor told the would-be circus director, "It's like they want to be killed.  Sure, I get it, Derm is a good dwarf.  Stong.  Patient.  He'll probably make a better sheriff than I would anyway, but that's not the point.  They won't listen to me!  I can help them, but they just won't listen!  And how many hard working dwarves have died defending this fortress?  How many more will die before a single one of those cowardly home wreckers does?  Those bloody sun-dwellers, I swear to Os, if any of them are worth a fraction of a dwarf I'd marry them myself and live in a bloody tree!"  Brosso's response, if there was one at all, was lost among the doctor's furious thoughts.

After the election was lost by quite a margin, Reg had stopped his late night dinning room rants (much to the relief of those who preferred a quieter midnight snack).  Other than the occasional conversation with Brosso and Steve, he spoke to no one.  Many thought he was simply reflecting on his actions, and it was true.  He was self reflecting, however it only brought on darker and more angry thoughts.  In his darkest hours his thoughts would creep to the grisly death or, at its tamest, exile of the many of irksome creatures who plagued his existence.  He was occupied, to say the least, with these thoughts (some outright horrified him), so who's to say they did not find their way into his work?

Two more had died under Reg's care.  His anger at others quickly shifted to himself.  How many more coffins must he fill before HE is cast out into the cold?  He would ask himself.  How long until they blame him for the death of their comrades?  The sleep he could steal was filled with untempered regret and self-pity.  The nights without it were those of silence and depression.  The only comfort he could find was in the repetitive monotony of counting his instruments, taking stocks and going over his lessons.  The dwarves heart was connected directly to...

The doctor was horribly depressed, but over his years of suppressing emotions, he had learned not to show it.  He needed no sympathy, after all, he was a dwarf, and sympathy was for cowards and elves.  Which is why, when word spread about a certain hairy alligator, reg awoke with the rest of the dwarves, and prepared for the worst.  Once again, he counted his tools and took stock.  Once again, he readied the traction table and measured out the gauze and bandages.  Who would sit upon his table this time?  Whose hand would he have to hold as their pulse quietly slips away?
Fifteen men on a dead man's chest, Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum

Mangled

• Bay Watcher
  • Sleep is for the weak.
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: March 29, 2011, 08:10:29 am »

This has not been the best year ever Reg I'll admit but we're dwarves, we will get through this if only because the whole world thinks we won't.
We're just too stubborn to die.

AKingsQuest

• Bay Watcher
  • The king lost his golden pantaloons, go find them.
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: March 29, 2011, 08:28:04 am »

Volrath Blacksteel diary entry 7:Derm got the job and I did not get a single vote.Its not easy too get elected when I am stuck in a hospital bed, but i'm still happy with the outcome.After all, I just ran too keep  Brosso from wining.Derm is fine man and I would be happy too have him be the law.Too celebrate his victory that night, and brossos defeat. I downed beers till I could not see straight and then I drunk more.The on thing I can say about dwarves is that they know how too make beer.Sadly, the good times did not last because death showed his ugly ass face.

The dwarfs who were cleaning up the body's of the nothing found Johann, laying on the ground, covered in his own blood.The nothing fucked him up bad.It was amazing he lasted as long as he did.That dwarf had the will of a warrior, I tell you.They were able too get him into the hospital bed next too mine before he died but his injurers were too great to save his life and he finally passed on too the next one.To make  a crap hill into a crap mountain, Kol was found dead hours later.All this death is making the mood in this fort is going down hill fast, maybe thats why the ghost kid showed up(who by the way told use that another forgotten beast was coming too rape us up the ass.)Ghosts haunt only the most fucked up places after all.

Despite the fact that Fori cried for hours after Johann died, I think Reg is taking the deaths the hardiest.Sure, Reg looks like his ok, but living my life in a tribe full of people who hide there emotions so they would not make them weak has taught me how to see past someones mask.Plus, theres the fact that he has checked the innovatory of the hospital 25 times today.So he must be off his game.I just hope that h......

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Volrath stopped writing, grabbed his right arm and screamed a blood curdling scream of pain so loud that every one in the fort heard him.Reg ran too his side and quickly started taking off the bandages on his arm so he could see what was happening and he was shocked at what he found.Volraths arm, from the elbow down, was covered in a black slime.It smelt worse then any thing Reg had ever smelt before and it gave of a aura of pure evil.Just looking at it made him ill.Giving his face two small slaps to regaining his senses, Reg reached for his knife so he could cut the black stuff off, but before the dwarf could do anything, the black slime vanished back into volrath and he fell too the ground.Knocked out by the pain.Reg stood there for a time , trying to figure out what the hell just happened. 

Ovg

• Bay Watcher
  • ♥ Pretty Princess ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: March 29, 2011, 09:57:18 am »

Diary of Brosso the magnificent, entrepreneur and miner extraordinare.

It's been a hard month for our fortress as well as us, and that is yours truly and good dwarf Reg. First we've lost the election, and some Derm won (I think he is in a riffraff conspiracy myself, though I didn't confront my ideas with Reg yet), then we've lost dwarfs to beasties down in the caverns but worst of all is that I, Brosso, had to dig out the circus myself!

Though there was an upside to all of this: it seems like I'll be able to get some exotic beasties in my circus.

-
Note to self: Check up on Reg, he seems to be hiding something since his last expose regarding lower races' inability to stand against the darkness and even, gods damn it, fall to it like us, dwarfs. Or not. He seems like he'll get himself together.

Ovg

• Bay Watcher
  • ♥ Pretty Princess ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: March 29, 2011, 09:58:33 am »

Diary of Brosso the magnificent, entrepreneur and miner extraordinare.

It's been a hard month for our fortress as well as us, and that is yours truly and good dwarf Reg. First we've lost the election, and some Derm won (I think he is in a riffraff conspiracy myself, though I didn't confront my ideas with Reg yet), then we've lost dwarfs to beasties down in the caverns but worst of all is that I, Brosso, had to dig out the circus myself!

Though there was an upside to all of this: it seems like I'll be able to get some exotic beasties in my circus.

-
Note to self: Check up on Reg, he seems to be hiding something since his last expose regarding lower races' inability to stand against the darkness and even, gods damn it, fall to it like us, dwarfs. Or not. He seems like he'll get himself together.
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 76