Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 76

Author Topic: [Community] Nomekast - At War with Nothing  (Read 180261 times)

AKingsQuest

• Bay Watcher
  • The king lost his golden pantaloons, go find them.
    • View Profile
Re: [Community] Nomekast - Hiding from Nothing
« Reply #510 on: February 08, 2011, 08:42:49 am »

As As Volrath looked at the mighty beast that Rakust had summoned, his blood boiled with rage.He hated necromancers.The act of enslaving the bodies and souls of your ancestors for your own gain was a unforgivable crime.He wanted to cut of her head and feed it to the dogs and feed those dogs to the loins, but he knew that running straight into her monster was suicide.He had to be smart, Volrath had to control his rage and not the other way around.He remembered how he learned that lesson the hard way as a kid.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Garos Blacksteel  looked up and down the line of blacksteel teenagers he was training.None of the kids there liked him, most likely because he was a type of  guy who gave hard asses a bad name.He trained them till they fell over and then made them make up for the time they wasted getting too the ground.They worked every day, mostly sparing, full contact, with wooden swords or running miles with back packs filled with rocks.When night finally comes, he gave them  a dinner that tasted like a dogs dick, and then has them sleep on the cold floor.If any one got out of line or complained about how much life sucked there, he would kick there asses so hard that the spirits would feel it.All in all, the students thought that he was trying to slowly kill them, but he was not.In fact, he loved them all like family.Battle was not a place for the weak though.They had to train hard if they where to survive and he made them do just that, there was no way in hell that he would be the reason they never saw there grand kids.He did not need to worry  though, they all became great fighters over the years and were ready for any thing that the gods could send at them, except for one named Volrath.

He was not a bad warrior, he actually was his most skilled student, but when he got mad, all that skill went out the door.Garos feared that if he did not learn to control his rage, it would kill him.That was why he called the kids away from there training to line up.He had a special lesson in mined for them."All right you dip shits, Today I am going to tell you about berserking."Every one in the line sighed at the same time."I know you all know how to use anger to over come your fear of death and give you power in battle, but some of you let that anger got out of control.specifically you Volrath."He looked at his teacher."I don't know what you are talking about, my anger is well under control."Garos smiled."aye, I believe you, you had to be a master of your rage to not try to kill me when you heard me fuck your mother last night .The young  barbarian spat at garoses feet."My mom would never touch your diseased cock, you piece of shit!"The teacher chuckled."oh, so you do not know?Well, maybe your father drowned out her screams of pleasure when he started crying like a elf bitch after he saw us."I.. I will rip your guts out!"Volrath roared as he ran too him, sword held high, giving no thought to technique.Garos simply stepped too one side and tripped him with his right leg.Volrath rolled  too his feet and charged back in.Garos ducked under his strike and then elbowed him in the gut.The blow stunned the boy long enough for him to pick him up and toss him to the grounded, sending  Volraths weapon flying.He  started to get up but was stopped when Garos kicked him in the ribs, hard."The boy moaned when his ribs cracked.Satisfied that he left a impression, he decided that he will have talk with the boy."You all can go back too training!The teacher yelled as he lifted Volrath up, and dragged him into his tent.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Now", Garos began  to speak."I am sorry that I insulted your mother and father.She is a good woman and he is a fierce warrior .They did not deserve that dishonor, but it was the only way I could get you mad enough for me to teach what I need to teach."what is that exactly?"Volrath said with venom in his voice "I told you over and over that you can't let your anger control you but you seem to let it happen any way.I mean for fuck shake Volrath, I knew you would not beat me, but did you have to make it so damn easy?"The boy did not say a word, he just stared at him.Garos sighed."Look you hate me, I get that.I would hate me if I was in your place, but you most know that I did this to help you.I did not want to take it this far, but you were being too big of a fuck ass to listen too me.Form now on that is going to change.I am going to make you listen too me because If you keep this up you are going to get your self or one of our tribe killed and I can't let you do that."Volrath head lowered, when he realized that he was right.His moves were sloppy in that fight.He could not beat any one with the skill he showed today.Garos smiled when he saw this."Good, I can see I'm getting into that thick skull of yours.Just remember that your anger is a tool that you can use but it can never be allowed to over whelm you.Now, go get yourself bandaged and take the rest of day of, but be back here by dawn."Before I go, can you tell me why you had to kick me so hard?"Volrath asked."Pain helps you remember, just count your self lucky that you were just fighting me.Not all of your opponents will be as gentile."

He took his words too heart and was not going to let him down now.Taking a deep breath Volrath got ready for the fight of his life.

TALLPANZER

• Bay Watcher
  • entity_TALLPANZER.txt
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: February 08, 2011, 03:02:42 pm »

Meinhard gave small hand signals to his Jagers. They all knew the plan now, aim for the knees on the left side.

"AHHAHAHA! Hyu tink hyu be alls scary to us?! Piffh Vhat hyo got vith hyu?! A big dog somvone forgot and a bunch off nothing!"

Meinhard smiled, his spear and shield held ready. then Rakust saw his eyes, filled with murderous cunning, but that was not as interesting as the glow. His eye had the same glow as the forgotten beasts, with one minor difference, the glow from his eyes was blue.
"So while a handful of psychopaths in lab coats are turning Japan into a land of mythological beasties to bang, the USSA's drowning in stupidity, China doesn't exist anymore, and Canada's just sitting there waiting for all this shit to blow over so they can go back to being Canada. Oh, and South Korea think they're Zerg now." <-Slag explains fallout in a nutshell

bayar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: February 08, 2011, 03:41:36 pm »

Mental note, bring back the pick after I finish digging out the sanctum.

Mangled

• Bay Watcher
  • Sleep is for the weak.
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: February 09, 2011, 10:15:13 am »

Right then, meeting adjourned until whatever disaster this is has blown over?

Fortis

• Bay Watcher
  • Suspected Elf Sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: February 14, 2011, 11:21:35 am »

They had finally found the culprit, but too late it seemed. She had fled from her prison, and moments later Derm had stiffened as if gripped by a seizure. Crying out in alarm, Fori caught him before he could fall, and gently lay him to the ground. She had seen such a behavior before, when she had been possessed by that malevolent spirit. She had touched him, doing something to him that caused his bizarre vision of danger. One that it turned out to be true. As if to confirm her fears, she heard the distant echoing voice heralding the coming of another forgotten beast.

Derm’s seizure calmed, and he began to stir with life again. His eyes fluttered open as Fori held his head. “Fori, they’re coming,” He said as he struggled to get up again.

“We heard, another forgotten beast,” Fori said, helping Derm up. The dwarf just shook his head.

“No, not just the beast. It’s a general, it has an army!” Derm warmed. Fori’s brow creased with worry as she considered this news. “The group after the traitor, they’re going to be overwhelmed.”

“We need to help them! Someone go get Kadzar’s warrior priests, and get the rest of the militia. And the Masons! They had to get into the caves somehow, there’ll be gaps that’ll need walling off!” Fori said. Gripping her sword, she ran to where the other dwarves had chased the traitor too.

Mangled

• Bay Watcher
  • Sleep is for the weak.
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: February 15, 2011, 08:10:33 pm »

Right I'll go fetch the masons, Derm take a minute to get yourself together then go with Fori everyone else grab something pointy and follow them too I'll meet you all down there.

Rashemd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: February 26, 2011, 09:43:32 pm »

Love Girl Genius, but does anyone here reads "Goblins: Life through their eyes"? That one is insanely good too (even if slow on updating)

Great comic, how you like the new one with the freaky psion. New to forums, I apologize greatly for this most that was completely out of context with the story (which is amazing btw).  On a separate note come the next refugee wave, I would like to be dwarfed.

Name: Rashem (unDwarf like I know)
Race: Dwarf
Sex: Male preferably
Personality: Grim determination on whatever task he/she is set to.
Background: After watching the destruction of his/her home, first to the Nothing, then to in-fighting, he/she has become grimly determined to fine a way to destroy this Nothing scourge from the face of the earth. Even if he/she must take on the aspects of his/her enemies to do it.

I see him/her as Chaotic Good/Neutral. In the fact that even if he/she must take in the taint of the Nothings (like those goblins) he/she will kill them all. Wears nothing but armor made from the weakest material available (only your on agility and reflexes should protect you) and wields a Hammer or nothing at all.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2011, 01:07:22 am by Rashemd »
Welp they always say ‼LOSING‼ is ‼FUN‼.

Aequor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: March 13, 2011, 03:37:32 pm »

Sorry for the long wait between updates guys, I should have something soon ;D
ISGC -Thanks! ;D

Ahra - No, this is just vanilla with a few extras, such as the Nothing.

Rashemd - You're in, welcome!
« Last Edit: March 13, 2011, 03:39:03 pm by Aequor »
[USE_GOOD_REASON:UNTHINKABLE]

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: March 13, 2011, 03:40:05 pm »

HELLZ YEAH

best thing to come back since towersoared reopened its dining hall.

Also i somehow cannot un Italics
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Aequor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: March 13, 2011, 07:17:22 pm »

filiusenox, Slain and Rashemd, your profiles are up on the first post.

21st Hematite 676 - Morning

For a short while Rakust continued laughing, then she lowered Lerdi's skull, turning to the forgotten beast Osman, speaking in a clear, confident voice,

"Hail Umbralspits, I am she who freed you from your prison. By the Third Mystery you must do my bidding." she held Lerdi's skull towards him and the pentagram draw on it in blood flashed briefly red. Osman tilted his head as though curious at this strange, small woman,

THE THIRD MYSTERY IS THE SON OF LIES
                                                                THE SECOND THE FOOL
                                                                                           THE FIRST THE EMPRESS WITHOUT AN EMPIRE

THE LAST IS THE CLEANSER

THE PAWNS ARE NOT IN PLACE

ARROGANCE
         MUST
              BE
PUNISHED

came his voice, booming out into the cavern though he himself stood completely still. Rakust gave a gasp, almost dropping Lerdi's skull, but she stood her ground,

"What? But that doesn't mean anythi-"

WHO FORGOT US?

Osman interrupted, a plaintive note to his voice.

WHO FORGOT ME?

This seemed to shock Rakust, who threw Lerdi's skull to the ground, spinning round to flee, but Osman was faster, his coke mouth cracking open and a green gas expelling itself, cloaking the fleeing Dwarf. She gave a few coughs, covering her hand with her mouth, then ran on.

YOU WILL NOT FORGET ME

Osman suddenly roared, turning to Meinhard, Johaan, Melagius, Gutusp, Volrath and Rovod. Rovod didn't wait, sending a bolt straight at the beast. However, the bolt bounced uselessly off the monster's coke skin. The Nothing began to advance, red eyes shining in the dark of the cavern.

"Hokay, hyu make big mistake now." Meinhard said. A Nothing slashed at him, but he blocked, countering by severing the offending tentacle with the bladed end of his spear. And with that first blood spilt the legion of Nothings swarmed forward.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Rar took the bones of Ongas Anarusmo, the hadrosaurid beast that had threatened Nomekast months before, and began carving at one, crafting runes upon runes, all spelling something out.

They had been forced to move back. There were too many Nothing, and with Osman approaching them they had decided to double back to where they would be in a better position. Several Nothing already lay dead, felled by Melagius or Gutusp or Volrath's sword, or pincushioned by Rovod's bolts or Meinhard's spear, or else simply crushed through by Johann's hammer. However, still the Nothing came, with Osman behind them, almost as if surveying the battle like a general,

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It seemed that for every one they killed, two more Nothing filled the gap. They had gradually been forced back towards the forges, trying their hardest not to be completely swarmed and surrounded by the beasts.

As she took a step back to dodge a swipe from a Nothing, Gutusp tripped over something. She looked at what she had fallen over, it was Rakust. She was dead. Her hands were locked round her throat, a terrible expression on her face, her skin a sickly blue, like she'd been suffocated. Whatever Osman had spat at her must have done that. The Goblin-raised Dwarf didn't have time to think much though, as the Nothing tried to swipe at here again, this time managing to hit her, though only bruising her right upper arm. She drove her sword through it in retaliation, swearing loudly in Goblin. The creature hissed, black blood spilling to the floor as it fell down, dissolving into the almost misty black sludge that the Nothing were. She didn't rest long, as three more arrived to attack her, and she leapt back into the fight like a demon. Raised in a society where the wages of life were death, she used all that the Goblin towers had taught her to fight the Nothing back.

Volrath was fighting valiantly, slicing Nothing after Nothing with his blacksteel sword, but he was getting exhausted, and with more and more Nothing coming, seemed to be being overpowered. One Nothing slashed at him with enough force to cause his finger not only to slice open, but to bend right back, the bone breaking. Anger overwhelmed him as he cleft one Nothing's body in half, fighting through the pain as he felt another of his fingers break from a strike. The Nothing seemed to be targeting his hand, no doubt trying to get him to drop his weapon. He allowed himself a grunt of pain as he swung too wide, letting one beasts swipe at his thumb, breaking it. His right hand was useless now, he took the sword with only his right, his mind red with rage, managing to cleave another Nothing's tentacles off. So berserk was he, that he failed to spot a Nothing sneaking up behind him, and a veritable shower of attacks hit him, knocking him down. With more than a dozen surrounding him, he fell under, falling unconscious under their blows. Just before he blacked out he remembered his teacher Garos' words, 'Just remember that your anger is a tool that you can use but it can never be allowed to overwhelm you.'

Rovod stood his ground, firing bolt after bolt into the Nothing, turning them into pincushions before they finally bled out, dissolving into black muck. Soon however he found himself with no more ammunition, and so, yelling a Dwarven cry to the earth below, leapt into the fray, bludgeoning the creatures with his crossbow. One lucky Nothing swiped at his nose, managing to break it, just as the troll had months before. Rovod fought on though, this was a battle of life and death, hopefully his life and their deaths.

Grim, sad at the carnage, but nonetheless determined, Johann smashed another Nothing with his warhammer. Though perhaps the weakest weapon against the soft enemy, the warhammer was good for keeping them under control as it could beat them back long enough for him to defeat another. However, it took a lot more effort to kill a Nothing, and so he soon found himself beset by them, swarmed as it were. With perhaps a dozen Nothing attacking him, he soon found himself faltering under their blows, until finally he fell unconscious, slumping down defenceless while the Nothing continued to attack.

Melagius stabbed yet another Nothing with his shortsword, ducking under a swiped tentacle. He sent his sword swinging towards the offending proboscis, but it was blocked. The Dwarf was besieged on all sides, his back to a mica wall, his front to a dozen Nothing. Nonetheless he was fighting on, Dwarves were, after all, not known for their surrendering qualities, and Melagius counted himself as one of the better soldiers of the fort. There was no way he'd not go down fighting. Though cornered, he had managed to avoid being hurt, if the fighting continued, he'd soon tire and fall to, though.

Meinhard was lost in the fighting, and didn't take note of anything else. His shining blue eyes darted here and there, seeing opportunities to stab another Nothing with his spear, all while blocking another's swipe with his shield. The ex-mercenary was dimly aware of the others being slowly being beaten back, but he was more concerned with fighting towards Osman. The beast stood at the back of the horde, perhaps waiting for the Nothing to weaken them before he moved in and finished them off. If Meinhard could kill him, they might stand a better chance. If they managed to defeat the Nothing, it would be a catastrophe for them to then have to face Osman, weakened and exhausted. If Osman was dead however, they stood a better chance, only having to deal with the weaker Nothing. However despite his efforts he wasn't getting closer to the coke quadruped, too many Nothing kept moving in.

All seemed grim: Volrath and Johann were unconscious, Rovod was down to beating Nothing with his crossbow, Gutusp, Melagius and Meinhard were swarmed and unable to help the others. Then a flurry of bolts rained from the sky. Doc. Steve and Rar stood on the ledge, their crossbows firing into the Nothing. Soon the rest of the militia ran into the fray with a cry, Tarran immediately hacking a Nothing into two. Kadzar and his priests jumped in not long after, calling to Id and Os the Hardy Gleams to protect them. Fori and Derm each moved into the help the unconscious Volrath, battling their way through the horde with their swords. Xenos, Loral and Hammer of the Gods went to save Johann, cutting down swathes of Nothing with spear, sword and hammer. Delta and Muenster moved to relieve pressure on Melagius, while Bax, Spartan, Rion and the warrior-priest Zasit rushed to aid Meinhard against Osman.

The coke beast stood motionless as it stared down Meinhard, Bax, Spartan, Rion and Zasit. The five of them stood in a semi-circle around the beast, while the battle against the Nothing raged around them. They stood at the eye of the storm, facing down the general of this army. Osman was first to strike, spitting out a great glob of liquid that struck Rion full on. The Dwarf didn't say a word, wiping the stuff off and then charging, slamming his axe into Osman. Meinhard took this opportunity to drive his spear into the beast's side, where it got stuck. Osman tried to bat at the mutant Human, but was distracted by Zasit's spear in it's other side, followed by Spartan's pick. Bax slashed at the monster's face, but only managed in scratching its rough hide. Rion took his chance, and with sheer strength severed one of Osman's legs. The battle became one-sided, as the Dwarves, Goblin and Human began raining down blows and stabs at the beast. Finally, Zasit ended it with a stab at Osman's head, fracturing its skull. As it died, Osman writhed pathetically,

I DON'T WANT TO BE FORGOTTEN

it pined loudly. Managing to push Spartan back with one writhing,

PLEASE DON'T FORGET ME

And with that, it stopped dead. The battle was finished. The few Nothing that were left were swiftly killed. They had won.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Johan and Volrath had been badly hurt, Rovod had received a broken nose but was fine otherwise, the militiadwarf Kol had gotten several broken bones from the fight.
Spoiler: Johann's wounds (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Volrath's wounds (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Rovod's wounds (click to show/hide)
They were all swiftly taken to the hospital. Back in the settlement they were informed three new refugees had arrived; a Dwarf named Ukrzum, a strange but apparently-charming Elf named Ocade, and another Dwarf named Rashem. For a few moments it seemed like nothing worse than a few broken bones had come from this battle.

Then Rion coughed. And didn't stop.

He was quickly taken to the hospital, where Reg determined his condition. Osman had ensured he wouldn't be swiftly forgotten, his poison had gotten Rion. Soon he would die, just like Rakust.

He lay in the hospital bed, wheezing loudly as the poison worked on his lungs. His assembled fellow-militiadwarves stood round him, Johann lay unconscious in the bed besides him. No one spoke, the air itself seemed to be bearing on them.

"Damn it," Rion concluded inbetween coughing fits, "I always-" he wheezed loudly, his voice getting weaker, "I always knew I'd be one of the first-" he coughed then stopped as his lungs began to collapse, "first to die..."

He fell back in his bed, silent and unmoving, and said nothing more.

See the first post for Rion's kill list.
[USE_GOOD_REASON:UNTHINKABLE]

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: March 13, 2011, 07:20:57 pm »

Aw. I really did think I would probably be one of the first to die.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: March 13, 2011, 07:32:53 pm »

Awww, poor MSH, you were the only one that died, and you died in such a honourless way.

I'm surprised that MSH was the only one to die; and he didn't even die to the Nothing.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: March 13, 2011, 08:32:42 pm »

The last echoes reverberate through my mind as we waited by the cavern entrance.

Is it so wrong to be remembered?

I say nothing.

What say you, do I not have the right, the slightest opportunity to be known to history?

For what you have done, you should all be killed.

And yet the violence continues. The message, ignored. For what you have done, In mine eyes, thou are the villian.

We fight for our own survival, we shall not be persuaded by daemons such as you.

And yet, pǝns ǝןǝɔʇns, would you have not done the same if you were one of ours?

Silence.

Know this, one day your struggles will cease. And history will remember the forgotten.

He laughs, and he fades away.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

AKingsQuest

• Bay Watcher
  • The king lost his golden pantaloons, go find them.
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: March 13, 2011, 09:13:28 pm »

Finally, a update.I was starting to think you lost the save file and you were not going to do any more.Two things before I update my diary.One, you really need to have your save on a memory stick.Two. how the fuck did I break my ears?

Volrath Blacksteel diary entry 5:I am in the hospital after getting my ass kicked by the nothing.Both my hands are smashed, my face is a fucked up, and I got a bad headache.I can't believe I failed, even with Blacksteels power, because my anger got the best of me.I not only dishonored my teacher but also my people with this loss.I hope that the gods will forgive me.Worst of all my hands are too fucked up too hold blacksteel, let alone kill things with it, so i can not use its powers too heal me.Luckily, reinforcements  showed up and stop me from joining my wife.Even Fori was there, keeping the nothing off me.which was very honorable of her, considering she is still mad at me for reasons I do not know.I shall apologies too her for what ever I did and give thanks too all of them for saving my ass.

Before I go, I must mention some thing very odd that happened in the battle.When I kill then nothing with blacksteel it did not heal me or give me power the way it dose with other monsters.Nether did it give me power when I killed the necromancers zombies.I do not know much of the ways of magic, so I need to ask the dwarfs here about it.which also means I need to tell them about blacksteel.I hope they will not be anger at me for not telling them sooner but I could not let them know till I knew I could trust them.I will ask the leader of this place too call a meeting and I will explain Blacksteels power there. 

Fortis

• Bay Watcher
  • Suspected Elf Sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: March 14, 2011, 11:48:44 am »

From the log of Fori

The battle was won, despite the effort of the traitor and the presence of that monster she summoned. But for a while, I thought we weren’t going to make it. As it was, we arrived just in the nick of time. The group that pursued the traitor was hard pressed by the defilers, with the beast (the name of the forgotten beast has been blotted out by ink) observing the battle like a commander. Had I time to think, I would have been frightened by the prospect of facing one. But as it was, I just acted, relying on instinct and training. Derm and I rushed for the fallen Volrath, cutting through gods knew how many defilers to get to him. My blade and armor was stained black with their vile ichor as we cleaved a clearing through the forest of defilers. As the other brave militia and warrior priests fought off the nothing and that huge monster, Derm and I carried the wounded Volrath back to the hospital for the physicians and healers to tend to him. He was very grateful once he awoke, and to my surprise he apologized for whatever he did that angered me earlier. He was rather surprised in turn when I told him it was the groping; it turns out that’s just his culture’s way of complementing beauty. I decided to apologize for my anger.

But we soon learned that there were worse injuries. Rion was brought in, with something deadly wrong with his lungs. Some poison of (again the beast’s name is blotted out) has cursed him, and each breath was labored and forced, and he frequently coughed and wheezed with each breath. I stayed by his side and held his hand throughout his last moments. Reg and the doctors did what they could, but the poison of the forgotten beast was beyond their ability to cure. I’m not sure even the druids with the herbs and magic of the forests at their command could halt this evil malady. Rion fought to the end, but it wasn’t long until he suffocated as his lungs failed him. I fled the hospital after his death rattle ended.

For a long while, I wept in my room, grieving for the death of Rion and for the fate of our home. Derm, sweet Derm, came to comfort me again. He gave he his hankerchief, and when that grew too damp with tears, he used his beard to dry my face. He patiently stayed with me until I finished giving vent to my emotions. But after a while, my mood shifted. Tears gave way to a grim determination. I seem to subconsciously realize there was much to do, and I didn’t have time for crying.

First, the dead must be tended to. The dwarves have their own customs for honoring the dead, as I saw when they entombed Sibrek. I’m not sure why, perhaps a way of returning the dwarves to the stone from whence they came. But Elves have their own customs. As I did with Sibrek, I will make my own addition to the memorial to Rion. There are no flowers down in the caves, but instead I went and found the most beautiful cavern plants and mushrooms I could find, and transfer them to around his tomb. I prayed to the spirits to watch over Rion as he made his way to the afterlife.

But after the dead were tended to comes matters of vengeance. The defilers who attacked us are dead, and the masons are searching for the way the traitor let them in to seal it off. But those defilers were but a single tree of their twisted forest. The dwarves are content, it seems to simply seal off the surface world save for the light house. But the defilers have proven that they can break into even these depths despite the dwarves stonework. I feel it is time to time to take the battle to the defilers, and retake the surface of our world. Not directly though, we can’t simply march out and meet them in battle, they are too numerous for that. But these defilers, they have a cunning instinct, and seem to always know if there is a break in our fortifications. They seek these out with a maniacal fervor. It makes them a dangerous enemy, but we can use this single-minded desire for blood against them. We can fake a gap in our armor, and draw the defilers into a trap that would kill them. I’m not sure how to do this, but it will involve the dwarves’ mechanical skill. I should speak to Torvold, he’s been dreaming up all sorts of plans and devices we could use to bring justice to the defilers.

But before that, before even Rions memorial, comes my vengeance against you, nameless beast. You sought to be remembered, but you could have done it in any number of ways. You could have helped us, ou would have been remembered as a hero, a legend, even an agent of the gods that Ibruk keeps going on about. You could have even done nothing, a peaceful forgotten beast would have been notable even by that. But no, you chose to be remembered by terrible deeds. Like every other forgotten beast and each defiler in their horde. So this is my vengeance, I strip you of your name, and declare you Nameless. No written word will bear your name, and no engraving of you will exist. Even Rion’s tombstone will read he fell to a nameless beast of the defilers. As we survive, you will be forgotten, your name cursed to the deepest mists of obscurity. May you rot in the deepest level of hell.

--------

Shortly after finishing this entry, Fori set aside her journal, ink, and pen, and took up a hammer and chisel. She began scouring the fortress, and destroyed every image of Osman she could find, and wherever his name was written or engraved, she carved or blotted it out, replacing it with ‘nameless’.
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 76