Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 76

Author Topic: [Community] Nomekast - At War with Nothing  (Read 180208 times)

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
Re: [Community] Nomekast - Hiding from Nothing
« Reply #375 on: October 12, 2010, 05:42:45 pm »

god damn you for getting my hopes up :(

I will eat your socks. all of them

Your punishment is eternally cold feet.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

ISGC

• Bay Watcher
  • Hatters Gonna Hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: October 12, 2010, 06:02:03 pm »

that is a fate worse than death.
be patient, he'll update when he wants to
quality over quantity
Fifteen men on a dead man's chest, Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum

Aequor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: October 13, 2010, 02:55:07 pm »

RendarRar - Sure thing, any particular personality for Rar?

Also, everyone who was waiting to be dwarfed/humaned/elfed/kobolded has been added!  :D The profiles are up on the first post, as ever.

1st Granite 675 - Dawn

Fori had worked tirelessly over the past two months, stopping only to drink, sleep and eat. At times she was quite lucid, able to mumble a few words, but mostly whatever had possessed her was in full control, refusing to allow the Elf to talk to the Dwarves or do anything but work. It had hoarded magnetite, iron, shale, cobaltite and giant bat bone, and begun work at the stroke of Ongas' death, continuing over the rest of Opal, and then through Obsidian. Apparently the possessor was a perfectionist, as many times it had destroyed its work, shouting that it had been ruined by some tiny imperfection. Finally as the sun began to rise into the valley of the Swamps of Tunneling on the 1st of Granite, 675, it left Fori's body, and she was finally back in full control.

At once much of the fort came to see, both to check up on her (Reg had grudgingly accepted to do a check-up, and had spent most of it loudly proclaiming about how as far as he was concerned, she should have been thrown out the moment the possessor had appeared), and also to see what she had created.

Once the preliminary examination, and praising of the craftelfship had been done, the crowd turned to Ibruk, knowing that the prophet would, as ever he did, declare this a sign from the gods, despite it being a clear possession, not some god-struck inspiration. True to the expectations on him, Ibruk did just that,

"This is a sign from the gods!" he begun, prompting a combined groan from Reg and Rion, Ibruk plowed on nonetheless, "This grate, Etostastel, 'The Contained Ally', is a clear sign that the gods wish us to seek more allies to defend us against the demons who lurk the great caves of the world."

"It was a possession..." Urist began, Ibruk stopped him,

"One sent by the gods. Who else but the gods could send a spirit to help us?"

As the crowd argued between Ibruk's supporters and his opponents, one of Kadzar's priests came in, moving over to the zealot. The priest leant into Kadzar's ear, whispering something. Kadzar's eyes went wide and he uttered a silent prayer to the gods. Then he raised his hands, calling for silence. After a while, he got it, and he turned to Ibruk,

"Master Ibruk...it-it is like you prophesied, more pilgrims have come!"

- - - - - - - - - - - -

They made a rag-tag group, eighteen refugees from varying places. Fifteen Dwarves, an Elf, a Human, and what was apparently a Human, but had a blueish-green skin, and sharp teeth and nails. Of the Dwarves, one had been found wandering the wilds, his eyes ripped out, he had later elucidated that he himself had plucked them out. All of them had lost their homes to the Nothing, and slowly their group had grown as more refugees were met on the trail. The ongoing civil war in the huge Empire of the Humble Nations had also caused the surroundings lands to become more lawless than ever, and the Imperial patrols that had once kept the roads safe were now all gone, called to war, and that meant that if there were no Nothing roaming them, then there were bandits. After crossing miles of open land, the group finally found themselves standing above the valley of the Swamps of Tunnelling. Arsethotheles, the mad philosopher they had found, had indicated this as the location of a hidden Dwarven outpost, that accepted non-Dwarves as well as Dwarves.

"Iz dat it? All hy zee iz a shmall wall and a tower." Meinhard asked, shielding his eyes from the glare of the sun as he scanned the valley.

"I didn't lie! Arsethotheles only lies when he wants to AND I DIDN'T WANT TO!" the philospher cried indignantly.

"There's probably more under the hill?" Sandra ventured.

"We won't know until we go." Loral the Elf nodded.

"Then for Armok's sake let's go!" Rar cried, bringing a nod from Helf. The six of them were stood apart from the rest of the group. They had pretty much been adopted as the unofficial leaders of the refugees, even though one of them was an Elf, two were Humans (and one freakishly mutated at that) and another was a mad Dwarf who had ripped out his own eyes, indeed, if it wasn't for Helf and Rar, then the refugees might not have accepted them as the leaders.

"Yeah, if dat's it, den let's go." Meinhard agreed, motioning to the rest of the group to get ready to move. There was little ground they needed to move over, but there were several Nothings milling around on the other side of the valley, and the moment the refugees moved, there was no doubt the tentacled beasts would move in after them.

"Hey, there, that's the hole the traders must've mentioned." Helf said, pointing out the entrance to the trapped tunnel into Nomekast.

"We need to get there before the Nothings move in." Sandra said. The group nodded, moving off to tell the rest of the refugees that their troubles were soon over.

The refugees were soon ready, and threaded down the valley, keeping an eye on the Nothing on the other side of Squeezemunch. The Nothing didn't move for a long while, then suddenly swarmed down the valley sides towards the group.

"Move faster!" Rar cried, pushing several Dwarves onwards down into the entrance to Nomekast. Once inside the cool dark, they saw that the residents of the fortress must have seen them coming, for the drawbridge was down, and a group of armed and armoured Dwarves stood at the other side,

"Get in! Quick!" one yelled.

Soon sixteen of the various races had made it in, but a couple had been left behind, as Nothings came to attack the two. The husband, grim determination on his face, pushed his wife off into the tunnel, and then drawing up his fists, charged like a true Dwarf into battle, using hand and foot to fight the beasts off and let his love survive. His wife could only watch from the bridge as he was torn to pieces and the beasts turn their attention to the tunnel, and then the drawbridge rose and clunked to a stop, sealing them out and the refugees in. The wife drew a large, raking sob, tears flooding down her face. Her arms fell uselessly to her sides, and she collapsed crying on the floor.

"Oh gods, what is that? Another Elf? And two Humans? Reg is gonna have a fit." one of the soldiers remarked.

Before anyone else could say a word, a small Dwarven girl came running up to the armoured Dwarves, whispering something to them. Their leader nodded,

"Right, all of you move off, someone'll take you down to the meeting hall where you can rest, we need to open the drawbridge again. Unless of course you wanna stay here and see what happens." he said, matter-of-factly. The sheer idea of the drawbridge being re-opened was enough to send them on their way down the corridor and into the fortress proper, leaving the militia Dwarves behind.

"What is it? What have we got?" Melagius asked Rion, preparing his sword.

"Three more. One with red hair, with a child coming in from the south, and what seems to be another child coming in from the other side." the axedwarf replied.

"Ikeng's bosom...some poor orphan on their own?" Rovod grimaced, invoking the Dwarven goddess of family, "I dread ta think of what they must've endured."

The drawbridge slammed down with a cacophony of grinding gears, letting light shine in once more. The Dwarves moved out this time, moving into the open air for the first time since the rebuilding of the lighthouse. They had little time to breathe in the fresh air however, immediately being forced to fight off the Nothing there were already there. It was easily done, there were not many, only about half a dozen, no match for the Dwarves' weapons. Once the beasts were dead, they looked for the refugees, true to Atis' message, there was a stout Dwarven woman with fiery red hair moving in from one side, with a child trailing in her wake, while a small figure was scurrying in from the other side.

"Esm romnu! Esm romnu!" the woman screeched at the Dwarves, moving past them into the passage without so much as a second glance.

"Hey wait-" Tarran said, stopping the child from following her. He took a look at the young boy, noting the ears, "This is an Elf kid!" the Elf looked fearfully up at the bearded Dwarf, and then pulled himself free, scurrying after the red-haired woman.

The last refugee had arrived now, the small child that had come in from the other side. The militia beckoned him towards them, retreating into the tunnel. Once they were all safely inside, the great stone bridge was raised, sealing them all safely away.

"Phew..." Rovod breathed, mumbling a quick prayer to the gods in thanks. There was a sudden sharp intake of breathe from besides him. Johann had moved to help what they had all believed was a small child, only to see yellow eyes and brown skin,

"This isn't a kid!" he gasped, "It's a Kobold!"
« Last Edit: January 15, 2011, 06:34:27 pm by Aequor »
[USE_GOOD_REASON:UNTHINKABLE]

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: October 13, 2010, 03:14:21 pm »

This is the type of kobold I am...Just so you all have the right mental image ;D

*holds hands up, wide open, leaving my +copper dagger+ (can I get one?  :D) at my side*

*mimes farming*

*cautious, expectant look*
This is a useful feature..and this is DF.. so im gonna assume its bugged
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: October 13, 2010, 03:21:19 pm »

"I bet Nothings prefer the flesh of sapients. Kolbolds are sapient. Well, kind of. Still, looks like we've got ourselves some bait."
« Last Edit: October 13, 2010, 03:38:15 pm by MetalSlimeHunt »
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: October 13, 2010, 03:24:26 pm »

I've noticed on the map that there's some yellow metal to the left of the magma forges. Is it gold? If yes, I think we should temporarily knock down the wall, mine it out and smelt it for the lulz. I've also noticed brown metal near the yellow metal. If it's Cassiterite, we should mine it out too so we can make some bronze (for no real reason since iron is in many ways better, except for completeness of metals and because it'll give the miners something to do).

I'd also like to request a Cobaltite statue next to my cottage's entrance.

Also, I just noticed that my guy likes Raw Adamantine and eyeless demons. Heh.

Anyway, keep up the updates.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Aequor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: October 13, 2010, 03:40:46 pm »

I've noticed on the map that there's some yellow metal to the left of the magma forges. Is it gold? If yes, I think we should temporarily knock down the wall, mine it out and smelt it for the lulz. I've also noticed brown metal near the yellow metal. If it's Cassiterite, we should mine it out too so we can make some bronze (for no real reason since iron is in many ways better, except for completeness of metals and because it'll give the miners something to do).
Unfortunately that's orthoclase, not gold. The brown metal is cassiterite, and I'm pretty sure bronze weapons are better than iron now, so the miners will probably mine it so we can have better weapons, now that the community's expanded we might end up with Goblin ambushes or even sieges if our wealth gets too high.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: October 13, 2010, 03:51:03 pm »

Unfortunately that's orthoclase, not gold.
No, I don't mean that yellow metal(stone) further then that, near the water, actual yellow ore.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Aequor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: October 13, 2010, 04:04:35 pm »

Unfortunately that's orthoclase, not gold.
No, I don't mean that yellow metal(stone) further then that, near the water, actual yellow ore.
Ohh, my mistake. Yeah, that is gold.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: October 13, 2010, 04:06:37 pm »

We have a psychotic priest who thinks he's the messenger of the gods. And now we have gold. Do I even need to tell you what must happen now?
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: October 13, 2010, 04:10:14 pm »

"My room, as the mouthpiece of the Gods, must be made of solid gold! Furnished with gold furniture!  Except the bed...that must be slade."

Starting to sound like a regular noble ;D
This is a useful feature..and this is DF.. so im gonna assume its bugged
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]

ISGC

• Bay Watcher
  • Hatters Gonna Hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: October 13, 2010, 05:40:40 pm »

oooohhhhh boy...

Reg stared in silence at the intruders his fellows had opened the doors for; his brow was knotted and his face stuck in an eternal scowl.  He was at a loss for words; surely, they could see what creatures these were!  SURELY they saw the folly in their ways.  Was he the only sane one in the entire fort?!  He'd braved death, starvation... Nothing, but for what?  To walk amongst ANIMALS and green skinned beasts as if they are his equal!  The death of the fort lays at his feet, shivering from the cold and looking upon the sympathetic dwarves with whimpering eyes, pathetic!  They will let it all come down in flames, and as Reg treats the wounds of his comrades, he will remind them of who was RIGHT.  Then they will see what they had done. THEN they will see the error in their ways, but there is no way to stop them now.  As my grandfather always said: "Monsters may topple the strongest doors and even Kobolds may fell the largest tree, but only Dwarves could raze a mountain and set the magma flowing free!"
Reg's time would come in the hour that they need him most.  When the creatures that they allow to haunt these halls beg for his assistance.
When they all look up and shout "save us!"
he'll look down and whisper "No."
Bound by his oath as a doctor, he will continue to heal those who need it, but he is not a fool.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Fifteen men on a dead man's chest, Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: October 13, 2010, 07:34:18 pm »

I say that gold obviously is needed to stud the armor of the priests. Or we at least need them to be decorated with gems.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

magmaholic

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hello again"- canadian stalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: October 14, 2010, 07:24:09 am »

....Also, I just noticed that my guy likes Raw Adamantine and eyeless demons. Heh.....

@ Tarran:MWAHAHAH!!!
1st Granite 675-Arses conversation with somebody he cant see
"where is the toilet?"Ars asked.
"err.."
"WHAT?!! you mean,you have a fortress,but no toilet?!!MAN! I had to run arond TWO WEEKS without a proper place to unleash the &%¤#%"¤!!!
"im not a man,you harlot!"
*slap*
"oh."
"but i think you mean the magma dump near the magma pools."
"thanks"

a while later you could hear a wild cackling,and smell of something awful,near the magma pools
« Last Edit: October 14, 2010, 01:06:36 pm by magmaholic »
I am a Goober.

Gutanoth

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:ILLUSIONS OF GRANDEUR]
    • View Profile
    • Umomushil - the fortress of dark Ice, an overlord list compliant fort
« Reply #389 on: October 15, 2010, 02:15:38 pm »

Looking around, gutusp could see nothing. She wasn't sure why she was expecting to, since she was underground. Storming through the corridoors with only the echoes of her feet to prevent her walking stright into a wall. She had an image to upkeep, after all, even if she was hid-

"Kanem ustab ulo sin."

She needed to sleep. Even with her ingenious tactic to keep the black beasts away, she didn't stay asleep for long. She could sleep through the screams (or the girl just stopped screaming), but the monsters were always there.

"ROSLENUL!"

Where the hell are the beds!? Going deeper into this hole this community had made she could hear confusing echoes that seemed to go on forever. Then suddenly there was a bright light at the end of a tunnel. Well, brighter than the dimness of the rest of the tunnels. As she went near it she could see it grow and turn into a large expanse, glowing gently with various torches and the occasional mushrooms.

"Arstruksmosp dán." were her last words before she collapsed into the crevice at the side of the wall and slept in the soft mud.

Just lookin' at my character sheet - "her hair is clean shaven, find helping others rewarding and enjoys art and natural beauty" If I'm not being too picky, could you see if theres a better candidate for a crazy goblin behaving dwarf with red hair :-\?
Look at what a totally original signature this is.
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 76