Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 76

Author Topic: [Community] Nomekast - At War with Nothing  (Read 180152 times)

Stas

• Bay Watcher
  • Procrastination
    • View Profile
Re: [Community] Nomekast - Hiding from Nothing
« Reply #270 on: July 29, 2010, 09:26:34 am »

Yeah....You are right.

No I'm not psychic. I just know that this is dwarf fortress. and the most stupidly awesome and inexplicable thing is probably going to be the first thing to happen.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: July 29, 2010, 09:39:52 am »

It has been too long. Aequor has obviously been eaten by the giant cave spider after it killed our dwarves and the Nothing.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Mangled

• Bay Watcher
  • Sleep is for the weak.
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: July 29, 2010, 05:41:12 pm »

No worries guys he probably just got lost on the way to the shops.

Stas

• Bay Watcher
  • Procrastination
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: July 29, 2010, 08:39:30 pm »

I'm off to hide in my Thief's den. Tata.

No I'm not psychic. I just know that this is dwarf fortress. and the most stupidly awesome and inexplicable thing is probably going to be the first thing to happen.

Aequor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: July 30, 2010, 04:55:08 pm »

Sorry for the wait guys, I got lost on the way to the shops and was then mugged by a giant cave spider. Luckily I managed to cleave it into two with a pig tail sock.

Hematite 675

Mysterydrip had still not been sighted again but the attack had brought changes to Nomekast, changes of the defensive kind. The entrances to the open space that the settlement occupied were being shut off by drawbridges, and what had become known as the Spider Maze to the west where the giant cave spiders bred had been completely sealed away from the fortress, the only way in was by going round through the labyrinth of caves and only Derm was confident enough to pilot his way through to the Spider Maze entrance. Torvold was busy tinkering to get magma pumped up to the upper caves to use in traps and defences, while the lower levels (or what had once been the lower levels before Derm and Fori had discovered even lower levels and what was now sometimes referred to as the 'Magma levels' or the 'Fiery Cistern') had still not had their magma touched after the initial expedition due to the fact that it was a veritable maze of pillars, dead ends and stone that confused everyone. Instead, work had begun cutting a wide open path to the magma pools of Derfori and the Molten Crater, the miners being guided by either Derm or Fori. The pitchblende that had adorned the entrance had been removed and under Ibruk's calls due to its position as a 'gods-cursed stone' was to be thrown away into the hole Hellbore to fall down into what was now the very low levels. Meanwhile, stills had been set up besides the farms and the communal bedrooms had been finished, Bounce's new open-air office was finished and furnished and work on Tarran's cottage was progressing smoothly. All that now remained on the surface level were a few workshops, the hospital where Rovod still lay resting, and the barracks where the soldiers trained, always keeping an eye on the stone drawbridge that stood as the only thing keeping the Nothing out.

14th Hematite 675 - Early Afternoon

Rovod was propped up in the bed when his fellow militiadwarves arrived. Reg and Steve had sutured his leg and shoulders as well as dressed his wounds thanks to the pig tails collected by Fori.

"Well Rovod, how have you been?" Melagius asked, cracking open a barrel of ale they had brought with them to share between the five of them.

"Same as before, Reg says I'll be out soon." the marksdwarf replied, "How's the rest of Nomekast?"

Rion let out a barking laugh,

"Same as ever! Ibruk spouting religion at any turn, Kadzar following him suite and spouting more religion. The Goblin keeping Atis near him at all times, the Elf helping in the farms, Stas keeps disappearing whenever there's work to do, and Torvold seems to be trying to fill the caverns with a horde of plans involving magma." he snorted.

"At least work has begun on the magma forges." Tarran said, "That's always a good thing." There was a round of nodding and positive murmuring.

"I don't know guys, I've got this gut feeling-" Johann began

"Bad alcohol? I always thought hospital drink was too watered down." Melagius offered. The hammerdwarf shook his head at this,

"No, I mean...first the troll attack, now Mysterydrip, I just feel we're gonna get something bad happening soon."

Rion took a long draught of the barrel of ale,

"Something bad is always happening here. If you hadn't noticed the world outside is crawling with monsters." he said dismissively, "Whatever bad happens we'll just chop it up and leave it at that."

21st Hematite 675 - Night

The met in the night, in the cemetery garden beneath the temple. Stas, shrouded in the cave spider silk cloak that had seen more of the world than most Dwarves had, stood arms folded leaning on the gneiss wall. Bax slowly slid open the door with the faintest of creaks and spotted the Dwarf straight away. Atis stood behind the Goblin, clutching his cloak. Stas stood up straight as he saw him, Throatground could be seen on his wrist, he never took it off especially since Ibruk and Kadzar were intent on taking it since they saw it as a holy artifact like Slyshaken or Domas Eser.

"So you didn't like the troll meat?" Bax asked, humour apparent in his voice. Stas raised his hands unconcernedly,

"It's not my favourite food, no."

"So you're the one who stole the missing pick, I imagine? And the gems that Dwarf lady's on about?"

"Bounce?"

"Whatever her name is."

"Well, I'm sure I don't know what you're on about. I haven't stolen anything."

"Oh? You borrowed them did you?"

"You could say that."

"Ya know, Goblins don't care much about theft, its a personal matter." Bax said with a toothy smile. Stas' anxiety grew as he became worried that the Goblin might attack him for his attempted theft, "In fact," the greenskin continued, "I'd like to help you."

This caught Stas by surprise, and he immediately received mixed feeling. He had been looking for more recruits for his fledgling 'thieves guild' but a Goblin? Was that a good idea?

Bax continued, trying to win the Dwarf over,

"You'd be surprised how much I know. It's not because I no longer have slaves that I can't find some...interesting information."

"Well I-" Stas was immediately stopped as his wrist began shaking, slowly at first, and then uncontrollably. Throatground began to glow a dull grey light, casting shadows off the plant life. Atis shielded herself behind Bax as the Goblin's hand went immediately to his weapon,

"Wha-" he himself was stopped as a loud roar was heard through the caverns, echoing off the pillars of the western maze. Finally Throatground stopped its quivering, leaving Stas there, a terrified expression on his face. Then a whispering voice rang out from all around them,

[USE_GOOD_REASON:UNTHINKABLE]

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: July 30, 2010, 05:03:31 pm »

A skinless giant turtle? ???

If it wasn't for it's webs and large mandibles I'd not take it for much of a threat.

Anyway, everyone, to arms! ATTACK!
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Stas

• Bay Watcher
  • Procrastination
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: July 31, 2010, 04:35:31 pm »

I really like how you use the Artifacts to predict forgotten beasts.

Also Epic update, as usual.

Mangled

• Bay Watcher
  • Sleep is for the weak.
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: August 02, 2010, 07:21:38 pm »

If I'm not mistaken that sounds like a roar of impending doom.
Everyone grab something pointy and have at it.

Fortis

• Bay Watcher
  • Suspected Elf Sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: August 05, 2010, 12:37:06 pm »

From the log of Fori:

By the spirits, that was frightening. The unearthly roar of some ancient beast reverberated through the stone walls. Those of us who were on the farm were compelled to drop our tools and cover our ears. It faded before long, but it left us frightened and rattled. I drew my sword, while my fellow dwarves grabbed their weapons, or shovels and rakes to defend ourselves if needed. It wasn’t long before a cry was going around the fortress, another forgotten beast has come.

Needless to say, to be facing another such beast has me unsettled to say the least. But I should take heart. I recall the last time such a monster reared it’s ugly head, and was slaughtered by the dwarves. I believe the stout defenders of the fortress can kill or drive off this one as well. Still, I’ll pray to the spirits for the safety of the fortress. And if needed, I can lend my modest skill with the sword to the defense of the fortress. After my expedition with Derm to the deeper levels, and now leading parties down there on my own to the magma, I believe I can help face the dangers afflicting the fortress.

If I am called to fight, may I be forgiven for drawing blood.

Aequor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: August 11, 2010, 08:48:55 pm »

21st Hematite 675 - Night

The roar had woken many up and roused the Dwarves from their sleep and to their weapons. Bax had realised it would be suspicious if he was found sneaking around the temple just as a great beast arrived, and so vanished into the darkness, leaving Stas at the temple steps waving his arms furiously at the approaching Dwarves. It took him mere instants to fill them in about the impending arrival of Thudel the Hollow of Bones and before long the rag-tag military had been assembled.

They didn't know where the tortoise-beast would emerge from, and so held vigil outside Tarran's cottage while the civilians locked themselves safely in the communal bedrooms.

"Keep an eye out, the beastie could pop out of the lake." Tarran advised his comrades as he unsheathed his sword. Melagius shrugged,

"Out of the lake, from the darkness; wherever he comes we'll be ready." he assured the smith.

"Do not be too overconfident, this is a monster of the gods." came a voice. The militia spun round to face the speaker. It was Kadzar, with two Dwarves at his side. They held iron spears in their hands.

"You should be inside, Kadzar." Rion growled. Kadzar shook his head,

"No, we will not stand by while another unholy monster desecrates the temple once more. These are forgotten beasts, cursed by the gods to live in the deepest depths of the earth, never to rise to the surface. We have trained; we...we will fight." he said, there was a definite slight anxiety to his voice, but he stood steadfast and not a tremble shook his hands.

"I-I don't think it's a good idea, it's not safe." Johann protested. Rion held out an arm, silencing the hammerdwarf. He stared Kadzar in the eyes,

"No, if he wants to. Let him fight." he murmured, "It's his temple he'll be buried under if he dies."

They stood there for a few more moments, before becoming aware of a deep rhythmic growl-like breathing.

"He's here!" Melagius yelled, swiping his sword into the darkness. A thin spit of web flew out of the darkness, covering one of Kadzar's warrior-priests. His fellow priests didn't hesitate, one cut through the webs with the spear-point while Kadzar prepared his weapon and faced Thudel. The hideous monster stepped from the darkness of the outer passages. It stood like a monument to some maddwarf's twisted imagination. Huge, with an insect-like face and a shell on its back, resting on a body bloated like some sea-puffed corpse but completely devoid of skin, showing the muscles tense and ripple as it prepared to attack. It let loose a deafening roar underlined with clicking from its mandibles, spraying web like spittle. The Dwarves stood silent for a few seconds, as if daunted by its appearance, then Melagius grinned and let loose a battlecry, charging at the beast. The rest followed him.

Thudel swiped its mandibles at them but missed as the Dwarves dodged. It sprayed more web, covering another priest, before Rion slashed his axe into its front left leg, and it reared up with the pain. A fatal mistake, Kadzar stabbed up with his spear, piercing one of the beast's lungs. It fell down, onto Kadzar, pinning the Dwarf's legs under one of its legs with a terrible cracking noise. Johann followed swiftly through, slamming his hammer into Thudel's insectoid head with a noise like a tree ripping clear of its lower trunk. The tortoise-monster began to thrash, sending Johann flying backwards. That was when Tarran struck, like a banshee he gave a yell and stabbed his sword into the beast's side, piercing it's muscles. One of its arms went flailed a second, smashing into the swordsdwarf, and then went dead, its muscles severed. Now weak from pain and loss of blood Thudel gave a keening, clicking sound, trying in vain to move. Johann looked away,

"Finish it now, put it out of its misery. I can't bear to see-" he was interrupted by a crunching sound. Melagius had stabbed his sword down into Thudel's insect head. But still Thudel try to flail, despite the oozing blood and pierced brain. Rion gave a look of disgust, and sliced down with his axe, severing the head from its bloated body. Finally the beast died.

For a long while there was no sound, then there was a loud groan as the stone doors to the communal bedroom were opened. Muenster poked his head out,

"Safe yet? I have windows to make." he asked. Melagius gave a wide grin, holding up Thudel's severed head, which caused Johann to duck out to the lake with nausea. Reg moved out, a frown on his face,

"Well? Who got hurt?" he demanded. Instantly he spotted Kadzar, unconscious from where Thudel had fallen on him, and swooped down on him, "What were you doing here? Hmm, a broken leg leg, possibly broken ribs. Ouch, definitely one broken there. Steve!" he called. Doc. Steve peered out of the bedrooms, Reg pointed down at Kadzar, "Get him to the hospital, I'll go see Fori for some more pigtails to weave into cloth for dressings and sutures, she'll probably have some more grown by now. Let's just hope it doesn't get infected."
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 07:43:35 am by Aequor »
[USE_GOOD_REASON:UNTHINKABLE]

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: August 11, 2010, 10:32:13 pm »

That went well. I mean, our only casualty was Kadzar, and even then he was only lightly wounded. I mean, what's a broken bone to a dwarf?

Oh wait...

Anyway, keep up the updates.
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: August 11, 2010, 10:36:57 pm »

No one can say he wasn't warned.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: August 11, 2010, 11:50:55 pm »

It's nice to know you guys care so much for me. :P
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: August 11, 2010, 11:56:03 pm »

Posting to follow, I must read this later.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: August 11, 2010, 11:57:09 pm »

It's nice to know you guys care so much for me. :P
You're welcome. :)
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 76