Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 76

Author Topic: [Community] Nomekast - At War with Nothing  (Read 177120 times)

darkwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [Community] Nomekast - Hiding from Nothing
« Reply #240 on: July 16, 2010, 03:11:25 pm »

Not yet, but I'll give it a go.

EDIT: Oooooh, get you, oh, drowish sailor! *laughs* yeah, lots of good in-jokes in just the first ten or so pages. XD
« Last Edit: July 16, 2010, 03:17:34 pm by darkwolf »

ProZocK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: July 16, 2010, 04:09:18 pm »

Its awesome, everyone should read it.
Later on it almost ruined the fun I have torturing goblins on my fortresses though.
Almost...
« Last Edit: July 16, 2010, 04:10:57 pm by ProZocK »
I always imagine dwarves to train as if fighting pretend monsters. "It's a carp, use your sword!" "Shwish! Shwoosh! It's dead!" "Oh no, it's a giant cave spider! Noo, it's got me! Kill it with your axe!" "Swoosh, I cut off its head!"
UNDEAD ELEPHANTS.HERDS OF THEM.EVEN IN DEATH I STILL GRAZE.

Stas

• Bay Watcher
  • Procrastination
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: July 16, 2010, 09:09:38 pm »

I can't kill goblins anymore...

No I'm not psychic. I just know that this is dwarf fortress. and the most stupidly awesome and inexplicable thing is probably going to be the first thing to happen.

darkwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: July 17, 2010, 03:38:31 am »

[said brightly and cheerily] I can, I'm an evil GM, so the screams of creatures and characters alike is like music to my ears.

Aequor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: July 19, 2010, 05:56:30 pm »

Ah Girl Genius and Goblins, once again I am astounded by the inter-connectedness of the interwebs, which is why they're called the INTERwebs i suppose. Awesome comics, both of them! :D

Stas - The 'thieves guild' is progressing slowly, since there's so much else happening which is taking up everyone's time, even Stas (who only has hauling as a labour).

TALLPANZER - Sure thing, but I'll have to make sure I remember you're Human, not Jager. :P As usual, there could be a wait as we need enough migrants to survive, and you're 2nd in line.

7th Granite 675 - Morning

It had almost been three days now, but they had found the pig tail seeds. While Derm kept an eye out for any hostile beasts, Fori had put her Elfen skills to use and found not only pig tails, but also rock nuts, sweet pods, cave wheat and more, all of which could be processed for seeds.

"Right!" Derm exclaimed, throwing a hand in the air as he imagined great explorers might do, "This expedition has succeeded in its goal, let's go home for glory!" Fori nodded emphatically at this,

"Yes, we need to get the pig tails back for Rovod, and tell them of the mag-"

"Over there! More glowing, but we're not at the Magma Pit of Derfori yet!" Derm interrupted, leaping ahead while the Elf followed. It was another pool of liquid rock, glowing bright in the cavern darkness.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

"Another pool of magma." Fori breathed. Derm cleared his throat, his voice serious,

"Fori, it becomes ever-more clear that we must return at once to tell the others of the bounty of th-" he began. This time Fori interrupted him,

"Derm? What's this?"

Derm came over and peered into the gloom, a smile growing on his face,

"It must lead to deeper levels of the cavern! There must be lower levels under the lower levels! More to explore!"

Fori nodded at this,

"But for now, we need to get back and get these pig tails to Reg."

- - - - - - - - - - -
Afternoon

Sibrek the farmer whistled to himself as he walked merrily from the new farms, plump helmets held in his arms. These were to be brought up to the stills for brewing. As he wandered past the new temple barracks he heard a noise, a heavy thud like a stone block falling over. He stopped, peering into the barracks, and was met by several red eyes staring back. He stumbled back, as a giant cave spider moved out of the gloom. Throwing the plump helmets down he fled, leaping up the temple ramps, but a blast of webbing shot straight into his back and he fell immobilized. Unable to move, he was forced to watch the giant cave spider, fangs dripping with venom and eyes glinting with hunger, as it came ever closer. Then it engulfed his head and he knew no more.

The alarm had been given by another farmer who had seen the entire incident. By the time the Noiseless Metals got there the giant cave spider - dubbed 'Mysterydrip' - was no where to be seen. Sibrek's body lay besides the temple, his head having been ripped off and left some distance from the corpse. Webbing hung from the stone pillars, some of it even splattered with Dwarven blood.

Rion sighed,

"We'll never survive." he muttered, "If it's not Nothing we're being attacked by, it's giant cave spiders." Johann winced, looking away from the mutilated cadaver,

"Perhaps it's gone?" he wondered. Melagius shook his head,

"No, once a giant cave spider has tasted Dwarven blood it will return again and again. But this time I shall be here to kill it!" he exclaimed, drawing his sword. Tarran sighed,

"Let's just get this over with, I have forg- there!" he cried, pointing out to the south. True enough, Mysterydrip lay half in the shadows, red eyes glinting with bloodlust. Rion cracked his neck,

"Right, remember, don't give it a chance to bite you, and beware its webbing."

The Dwarves moved towards the spider, but it scuttled back, into the gloom.

"Don't let it escape!" Melagius cried. The Noiseless Metals leapt into a sprint, but Mysterydrip simply scurried further and further away, and then, climbing up a rock wall, vanished into the dark.

"Damn!" Tarran cursed,

"Perhaps it's better this way." Johan remarked, happy that he had not been forced to kill the creature.

"It'll come back." Rion said simply, moving back towards the fortress, "And when it does we'll be ready."

As they returned, two familiar faces suddenly popped up from the ramp to the lower levels. Derm gave the Noiseless Metals a huge smile,

"We're back!" he exclaimed, "And we have pig tails! And we found MAGMA!"

Tarran nodded, a smile flashing onto his face,

"Magma!? Wonderful! I can do all the forging we need with that - especially now that we're running out of bituminous coal to make coke from."

Johann moved forward, a sad look on his face,

"Get the pig tails to Reg, we need to get Sibrek's corpse." A concerned look shot onto Derm and Fori's faces,

"Sibrek?" Fori asked, knowing the Dwarf from her work on the farms, "What happened?"

8th Granite 675

They held Sibrek's funeral the next day. The Dwarf was consigned to a stone sarcophagus, his head rejoined to his shoulders. The sarcophagus for now stood in the caverns, but would be moved to the cemetery under the temple once it had been dug out. The pig tails had been processed and made into thread, and with them Reg was able to suture Rovod's wounds and a area of farmland had been specially prepared for growing pig tails. Stas's self-proclaimed 'thieves guild' had begun taking shape, and he was keeping an eye out for anyone who could be described as 'suspicious'. Torvold had totally rewritten his defence plans after the announcement of magma, and they had been accepted following the tragedy of the giant cave spider. There was no sign of Mysterydrip, but it would return; everyone knew that once a giant cave spider had tasted Dwarven blood, it would always want more. Plans for magma forges were being drawn up by Shin. The statue in the temple barracks had been replaced. All had returned to normality, except for one missing Dwarf.
[USE_GOOD_REASON:UNTHINKABLE]

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: July 19, 2010, 06:01:51 pm »

RIP Sibrek. I didn't know you at all.

Anyway, I HIGHLY SUGGEST building walls before this happens again!
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: July 19, 2010, 06:05:47 pm »

Hey, a Giant Cave Spider is going to kill everyone! Sweet!
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: July 19, 2010, 06:22:49 pm »

I sigh as I return to my quarters.

It has been an eventful trip. Two Magma pools and another layer to the dangerous caverns.

I pull out a handmade map written while traversing The Firey Cistern (I named the cavern. The cavern we live in is called The Home-bound Expanse. Never really needed to name them before, but with multiple layers I fell its Necessary.) Holds two pools close to one another. The magma pit of Derfori, for use in forges, smelters, and glass making, and the Molten Crater for use in miscellaneous projects if the need arises.

The pit is named the Hellbore. I stare at the darkness.

I feel that my adventures are yet to be finished. The third layer is hopefully the last. and most dangerous. I don't dare to imagine what a fourth cavern layer would contain.

Fori was somber after we returned, but has lightened up to past her usual elfishness. I saw her smiling openly and chattering about the second layer to a couple of others. It's a wonder what seeing new thing's will do to you.

If I ever go down to the third layer, I shall only take experienced cavern dwellers with me. Nobody really knows what the onset of soberiety does when in a dark place with jumping shadows and the immanent threat of death. I haven't even fully explored the second cavern yet.

Thoughts for another time.

For now I'll lead the miners to where the Derfori Magma pit is and they can carve out the trenches. We'll have to dispose of the pitchblende though. Maybe I'll go on guard duty for a while.

I do wonder what I'll do when I've explored the rest of the underworld though.

There! Finished the little details on the map. I'll send it up to the manager for induction to the archive map and then I'll head off to the dining hall.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Stas

• Bay Watcher
  • Procrastination
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: July 19, 2010, 09:43:38 pm »

Wonderful update, as usual.

No I'm not psychic. I just know that this is dwarf fortress. and the most stupidly awesome and inexplicable thing is probably going to be the first thing to happen.

ProZocK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: July 19, 2010, 09:57:06 pm »

Bax's War Journal

The Dwarves and the elf came back. That ridiculous doctor took all my time with his ramblings and I could not follow them in time. No problem, they said they found a passage to even lower caves ( along with magma... I hate how happy they are about finding it. I remember a lot of my slaves dieing because of that dammed thing while assaulting some fortresses) so Ill make a point of going down there with them next time. I will just say its to prove my willingness to sacrifice my life for the fortress. Gotta see what's down there for myself, maybe get a pet or two.

On the meantime I will be patrolling the halls. A giant cave spider came for a snack, and as hilarious as seeing it rip that bearded idiot's head, it may come for Lil Beardy, and that's unacceptable. Time for my to do some training with the guard it seems.

On a unrelated note, someone went trough my stuff. I could smell dwarf stench on my hovel. Luckily all I had on my quarters of any value that I'm not wearing right now was the sack of troll meat. Boy it must have been a surprise to whoever opened it. I guess not all Dwarves are completely useless. ill just "forget" a package with a note somewhere not entirely obvious , so I can have a little talk to whoever did that. He is the exact kind of ally I need here. Ill ask Lil Beardy to write it so no one can trace it to me. Ill give a hint to who I am, that only him can know for sure.

THE NOTE READS SO
   Whoever got this note, I know what you are doing. I like your initiative. Drop me a message later, so we can discuss arrangements. I guess you didn't like the taste, you left it all in the plate didn't you?

Holy crap 2 pools of magma on the cave's? I can count on half my hand the times I found a single drop of magma not in the sea... truly this fortress is blessed by Armok
« Last Edit: July 19, 2010, 09:59:17 pm by ProZocK »
I always imagine dwarves to train as if fighting pretend monsters. "It's a carp, use your sword!" "Shwish! Shwoosh! It's dead!" "Oh no, it's a giant cave spider! Noo, it's got me! Kill it with your axe!" "Swoosh, I cut off its head!"
UNDEAD ELEPHANTS.HERDS OF THEM.EVEN IN DEATH I STILL GRAZE.

Spartan 117

• Bay Watcher
  • Never think twice. Or at all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: July 19, 2010, 10:48:05 pm »

"See you, I'm going spider hunting."

I DEMAND I be allowed to hunt it down and shove my pick through it's brain.
Well, you know how if you take your thumb and forefinger and hold them up to your eye, you can make it look like you're squishing someone's head? It's like that, only for real.
"Sometimes being a dwarf has it's advantages, KNEE-CAPPING TIME!"

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: July 19, 2010, 11:03:35 pm »

I DEMAND I be allowed to get eaten and be decapitated by the spider.
Fixed.
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: July 19, 2010, 11:16:24 pm »

I DEMAND that Tarran and I be eaten and decapitated by the spider so MetalSlimeHunt can have all the giant cave spider silk to himself.
Yes. Death to us both.
Fixed.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: July 19, 2010, 11:20:01 pm »

I DEMAND that Tarran, MetalSlimeHunt and I be eaten and decapitated by the spider.
Yes. Death to us both.
Hell yes!
Fixed again.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2010, 11:21:33 pm by Tarran »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: July 19, 2010, 11:46:33 pm »

I DEMAND that Tarran, MetalSlimeHunt and I eat and decapitate the spider in that order!.
Yes. Spider flesh to us all.
Hell yes!
This living meal must be made.
F-F-F-Fixed!
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 76