Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 76

Author Topic: [Community] Nomekast - At War with Nothing  (Read 177115 times)

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
Re: [Community] Nomekast - Hiding from Nothing
« Reply #225 on: July 07, 2010, 11:32:12 pm »

COINCIDENCE!? I THINK NOT!
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

darkwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: July 08, 2010, 01:37:20 pm »

Heh. Even though it was pretty much pot luck I ran across this, I can't resist  ;D

YOU KNOW WHERE YOU ARE? YOU'RE IN THE CAVERNS, BABY, YER GONNA DIEEEEEE!

Anyways, just a sample of writing for when/if he makes it...   ???

From the Journal of Loral Treesinger

Granite, not sure which day...

I've been walking for a long time now, sometimes running, sometimes hiding... I'm often hungry... the Nothing devour anything they can reach, and anything with half a brain hides in the embrace of the soil... I would have gone to ground as well, but the Tree-Mother calls me forward. There are still people alive, I am certain, although whether they are sane by now... well, judgements of sanity are hardly my strength right now... this is the fifth night in a row where I've had to eat raw squirrel.

The Nothing are nothing (heh) if not cunning, and their speed is ferocious. To see one, and then almost immediately have to fight off those grasping tentacles, those burning eyes... oh, yes, they have eyes... they have a head, although it's a very small target, but they... they do not think. Speed. Speed and cunning are their strengths, but so far, they can be tricked, can be trapped, and killed.

Ugh. They weren't so fast before... the Tree-Mother tells me they are growing, changing, so that their hunger can be sated... They don't seem to breed, but they do grow. And that's quickly becoming a problem. My quiver is almost empty, and my sword arm is decidedly bruised from all the flailing... I need to find shelter, and soon. I no longer care if "shelter" holds those stunted tree-cutters, or even... wheurgh... defilers, so long as I am not harmed, no harm shall come to others. Not by my hand.

Urrrrgh... Another night of hiding with my bowels rebelling... burrowing like a damn fox, or stunted one each night... my hands are beginning to have callouses, unknown reader... and not just on my bow fingers...

Aequor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: July 09, 2010, 06:49:24 pm »

darkwolf - Sure thing, another filthy treehugger Elf will help to ruin make Nomekast all that more interesting :D. You're gonna have to wait for an immigrant first though, and that's easier said than done.

5th Granite 675 - Noon

"Yes she's perfectly unharmed." Reg reported. Bax nodded,

"Then why do you still refuse to let her out of here?" he growled,

"Because she's mute! That clearly shows something is wrong! And I don't think a greenskin near her will help."

"You let me see her yesterday!"

"And then you fed her a troll heart! Do you really think as a doctor and a Dwarf I can let you do such...disgusting things!?"

"Why don't you let her decide? Just ask her who she wants to go with and she'll point them out!"

Reg slammed a fist into the stone table of the hospital,

"Fine!" he roared, marching over to the little girl Atis, who was watching all this unconcerned. She must've been listening, and didn't even let Reg ask his question before pointing straight at Bax. Bax smiled toothily,

"See? She wants to stay with me, rather than grow soft with you fretting about the slightest cut."

"She-she doesn't know what she's saying, or pointing! Clearly this is a classic case of Rockhold Syndrome! I-" Reg began, but Bax ignored him, walking out with Atis trailing behind him, she was HIS property, and he'd be damned if he was going to let a Dwarf take her from him.

Just outside the hospital he bumped into Delta. Before he could walk off Delta stopped him,

"I've been meaning to talk to you...Bax was it?" he said firmly.

"What is it?" Bax growled, unhappy at these continuous distractions.

"Was-was there another Dwarven girl at your tower. About so high, fro-"

"How should I know!? What? I have to remember every single kid that was 'napped?"

Delta stepped forward, levelling a miner's pick at Bax's chest,

"I am asking you calmly. Was there a Dwarven girl, from Machineshimmers?"

"Where the hell is Machineshimmers?"

Delta looked crestfallen, lowering his pick,

"Nevermind." he grunted, moving off down the corridor.

- - - - - - - - - -

"SHIN!" came a loud bellow. The architect swung round, holding her tankard of ale like a weapon. Torvold, a mad gleam in his eye, almost barrelled straight into her, clutching scrolls strewn with drawing and plans. "Thank Id I found you! Now you're an architect aren't you? Of course you are, you designed the dining area we're standing on!" Before Shin could reply the scientist threw his plans onto the table and unrolled them, revealing plans for drawbridges and more,

"You see, that troll attack two days ago got me thinking, we need defences to seal this level from the various monsters out there! And that's why I've designed this clever drawbridge system, but I need walls that could repel a bronze colossus!"

"And I supp-"

"Yes! Exactly! I need you to design the walls and the drawbridge while I hook them up along with a few...ideas I've had."

"And I suppose you're not going to tell anyone what these ideas are?"

Torvold snatched his plans off the stone table, his laughter growing progressively louder,

"Oh trust me, they'll be better as a surprise!"

- - - - - - - - - -

6th Granite 675 - Evening

"Derm? What is this rock?" Fori asked, looking curiously at the wall besides her, "See? It's all...bubbly, like there's air trapped within it."

Derm came up from where he had been ahead. He examined the rock for a few moments, and then pulled Fori back,

"It's pitchblende! It's a cursed rock!" he exclaimed. Fori raised an inquisitive eyebrow,

"A cursed rock?" she asked.

"Of course! Don't you know the story of the King who built a palace out of pitchblende? Everyone who lived within the palace died horrible deaths after several years! The same thing happened to his successor! And his dog!"

"But how do you know the stone caused this? I mean-"

""Hey! What's that glow?" Derm exclaimed, cutting the Elf off. The two moved towards the direction of the glow, which grew in glare as they got closer to the source. The temperature also soared.

"It's-" Fori began,

"The lifeblood of the mountain!" Derm said almost religiously, "MAGMA!"

[USE_GOOD_REASON:UNTHINKABLE]

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: July 09, 2010, 06:58:51 pm »

MAGMAAAAAAA!

I expect you to make me create weapons non-stop once we have magma forges.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

darkwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: July 09, 2010, 07:04:27 pm »

Heh, no problem, mah squirrel rapist manly elven hunter is butch in his hiding in small handmade burrows, and shall survive till dorfing elfing!  :D

Still, loving the tale so far, and really glad we've got some magma going... let the fun commence!

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: July 09, 2010, 08:54:57 pm »

WOOOOT! MY EXPLORATIONS ARE NOW LEGENDARY+3!

The Magma Pit of Derfori Is now open for exploitation! Named after the two brave souls who discovered it.

But alas, we must wait for our interped heros to return fortward to use it.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2010, 08:56:31 pm by dermonster »
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

ProZocK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: July 09, 2010, 10:19:29 pm »

Awesome, both the discovery of magma and my back and forth with Reg and Delta.
'napped is the best goblin slang ever
I always imagine dwarves to train as if fighting pretend monsters. "It's a carp, use your sword!" "Shwish! Shwoosh! It's dead!" "Oh no, it's a giant cave spider! Noo, it's got me! Kill it with your axe!" "Swoosh, I cut off its head!"
UNDEAD ELEPHANTS.HERDS OF THEM.EVEN IN DEATH I STILL GRAZE.

Fortis

• Bay Watcher
  • Suspected Elf Sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: July 10, 2010, 12:32:11 am »

From the logs of Fori

A cursed rock? How can a rock be cursed? No other wizard or druid has been down here to curse it. Or perhaps he means the rock itself is intrinsically evil. There are plants that only grow in cursed areas or areas crawling with undead. Such as the thorny Silverbarb, or the twisted, gnarled glumprong tree. Both are rumored to slowly poison elves who live in their vicinity. Does this pitcheblende do the same somehow? To kill an entire palace worth of dwarves, a stone must be just as evil, yet this cavern doesn’t seem so. Then again, I thought I saw the rock glowing faintly with some strange energy.  That was unnerving enough, I quickly left the cursed stone behind.

It wasn’t long before we encountered another glow. The temperature has been rising for some time, and I had feared some devilry, or more cursed stones, but Derm… he was eager. Even excited. It wasn’t long before we saw it. A vast lake, but not of water, but an hot, fiery molten rock, flowing slow like honey. Derm was reverent, speaking with a respect that I’ve only seen in Ibruk and his cronies when speaking about the gods. But this I could understand. There is a feeling of ancient power here, rather reminiscent of the most ancient parts of the forests. I felt compelled to sing a short song of reverence, much like I would to an ancient tree or grove. It definitely made these cold caverns feel more… alive in a way.

And it’s flattering that Derm included my name in honor of finding it. Really, I’ve just been following him, he’s the one who discovered it. But perhaps I can be forgiven a bit of vanity, and let the name stand. Either way, I feel almost as eager as he does to tell the other dwarves of the discovery.

Stas

• Bay Watcher
  • Procrastination
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: July 10, 2010, 08:01:26 pm »

So how is my thieve's guild comming along? My dwarf will look for the right dwarves and subtly approach them, just watching for now.

Also, epic story, sorry that I couldn't post in the last few weeks, had no internet.

No I'm not psychic. I just know that this is dwarf fortress. and the most stupidly awesome and inexplicable thing is probably going to be the first thing to happen.

TALLPANZER

• Bay Watcher
  • entity_TALLPANZER.txt
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: July 11, 2010, 01:27:26 am »

Ok, this story is awesome, and I want in. I will even bite the bullet and be.... a Human!
Name: Meinhard Adelrick
Job: Spearman/hunter
Back story of doom:
Meinhard grew up in the human lands, where he lived on a small farm with his parents. One day he move to the capital to become a man-at-arms in the Royal army. He was good with a spear and soon became the head of a five man squad. Then came the events that mold his life forever.

His team was given a very special assignment. They had been told to hunt down a troll and bring back it's blood. So five men, clad in Iron chain from head too toe, set forth to find the beast. The woods were dark, and the beast was savage and ferocious, but Meinhard had his Bronze spear and steel shield (A gift from the Dwarfs). For a moment, all was quiet in the forest. Suddenly, a great roar ripped through the darkness and with it came two large arms, carrying even larger fists. Meinhard blocked both blows while the rest of his squad turned to attack. Two bolts thunked into the Troll and made it howl in pain. It was the perfect opening, Meinhard would not let it slip by. In one sharp strike, he punched his bronze spear into the neck of the Troll. His attack did not fell the Beast, but gave the axeman the time he needed take its' head from its' shoulders. Meinhard opened the clay jar he had been given for the blood and then reached deep through hole that was the Trolls' neck. With a mighty pull he wretched out its' Heart and placed it in the jar. They had their prise now and so they returned to the capital.

When his group got back they were directed to the Kings' mad Dwarf, or 'Dos Panzermench' as he would tell you. Flickering torches lit the smoothed stone of the walls of Dos Panzermenchs' work shop. Tools were hung all about the shop, along with mechanisms and strange glass flasks. Meinhard placed the jar on one of the many tables. "Iz dis vot hyu were lookink for?" he said as the jar was opened. "Yeeeesss." said Dos Panzermench "This will do nicely." The mad Dwarf extracted the heart and smiled.

A few days later, Meinhard and his squad were called back into the "laboratory" of Dos Panzermench. The bald, black bearded, mad Dwarf, had been working on something, and the king was very excited about it. As they walked in to the "laboratory" their eyes turned to the grand still. It was amazing. A seemingly unending tangle of brass, crystal, glass and rubber. A marvel of craftdwarfship.
"Dis iz vot hyu vanted us to zee?" asked Meinhard, "No my good man, wanted you to see this!" The mad dwarf held a tray of mugs, each one filled with a glowing blue liquid. "My latest creation." each man took a mug "Now, you should all know, this drink can kill you, but if you live.." a dark smile crossed Dos Panzermenchs' lips."Hokay den, Hy drink first." Meinhard downed the whole mug in one swig. then promptly fell to the floor, thrashing wildly and clutching his sides. "What you are feeling is the essence of monsters fussing with your body. It will make you stronger, faster, your wounds will heal quicker, and your limbs can reattached if severed." the rest of the squad dropped thier mugs and ran.

After an hour or two of pain, Meinhard stood once more, changed. His teeth were long and sharp, his muscles were bigger, his skin, a blueish green, and his nails had turned to small claws. Dos Panzermench watched him stand up. "You have been made into a much grater man. You will need this strength in the days to come. The time of nothing is coming." "Vot are hyu talkink about?" asked Meinhard. "You will see, my favorite, you will see."

A year passed, and then, Nothing! they swept into the capital and began to devour everything. Deep in Dos Panzermenchs' Laboratory, Meinhard stood with the mad dwarf as he gathered his many schematics "I have finished my work, Favorite. But, these nothing have come too soon. I will need you to take my Legacy and run. Run until you find a dwarfen outpost." "And ven hy get dere hy find da shmot guy." "Very good Favorite." the mad Dwarf pushed a leather scroll case into Meinhards' arms "Now go!" "Vot about hyu?" Dos Panzermench smiled "I still have one lever left to pull." Meinhard asked nothing more. He picked up his bronze spear and steel shield, then run down the escape tunnel. When he came out into the air again he looked back at the capital. All he saw was a plum of smoke.

Back-story heavily influenced by: http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20100709
"So while a handful of psychopaths in lab coats are turning Japan into a land of mythological beasties to bang, the USSA's drowning in stupidity, China doesn't exist anymore, and Canada's just sitting there waiting for all this shit to blow over so they can go back to being Canada. Oh, and South Korea think they're Zerg now." <-Slag explains fallout in a nutshell

darkwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: July 11, 2010, 09:00:21 am »

Hehe, on the one hand, nooooooooo, a human! they smell of... common-ness! But on the other hand, this player is a fellow Girl Genius fan. Hehe, either way, TALLPANZER, we have a wait till immigrants survive arrival for both of us. XD

Mangled

• Bay Watcher
  • Sleep is for the weak.
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: July 11, 2010, 10:54:32 am »

Steve's writings.
Reg is still rather miffed about that greenskin giving the little one a troll heart, doesn't he know that's the only part of a troll you can eat without dying?
I remember back in the mountain home all our squad got issued was troll hearts, they taste weird but the captain thought they would make us stronger or some such sillyness. Not sure if that's true but what the hell it never did us any harm. Not sure if I'd have given it to a kid raw though.
Rovods stable but unless Derm and Fori hurry up with the cloth the poor sods either going to lose that leg or have a limp for the rest of his life can't tell one way or the other at the moment. On the bright side he's not going to die and me and Reg both agree he'll probably be awake in a day or so, not sure if he'll be in a good mood about the goblin saving him but if it was me I'd buy the guy a beer. As for our medical stock more stuffs gone missing and not just what was here when I arrived, my quiver and the trigger assembly for my crossbow has done the off as well. I'm not annoyed about the quiver going since I had no ammo anyway but who the hell nicks half a crossbow?!

Areku

• Bay Watcher
  • Merry Christmas to all ye landlubbers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: July 12, 2010, 11:23:48 am »

The logs of Delta

Hrmm. That goblin scum... Ack, what am I thinking? Only by a miracle would he have seen my daughter. But this is the cold reality. She might as well be dead, for all I know. I should learn to live with it, as I did with every other disgrace that struck me. Shrug it off and keep going on.
...But there is something different this time. I just cannot let it go. I see the others hunting down fell beasts and exploring the underworld, and what did I do? Nothing. I just stood here, mined a rock or two, and waited for a miracle to happen. Not anymore. Everyone else is doing their best, and so must I. I am but a simple miner, but I'll descend into Hell itself, if for the good of the fortress. 
"And apparently your daughter likes to eat live cats"
                              - Legacy of Fíma succession game, fort two, said by Big Cheese, weaponsmith, about Duh102's daughter. (Not that you know any of these dwarves)

BoUnCe

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: July 16, 2010, 07:06:10 am »

yay for magma!!  :D

and more Girl Genius readers needed, fantastic comic!

ProZocK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: July 16, 2010, 12:40:29 pm »

Love Girl Genius, but does anyone here reads "Goblins: Life through their eyes"? That one is insanely good too (even if slow on updating)
I always imagine dwarves to train as if fighting pretend monsters. "It's a carp, use your sword!" "Shwish! Shwoosh! It's dead!" "Oh no, it's a giant cave spider! Noo, it's got me! Kill it with your axe!" "Swoosh, I cut off its head!"
UNDEAD ELEPHANTS.HERDS OF THEM.EVEN IN DEATH I STILL GRAZE.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 76