Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 76

Author Topic: [Community] Nomekast - At War with Nothing  (Read 177053 times)

Fortis

• Bay Watcher
  • Suspected Elf Sympathizer
    • View Profile
Re: [Community] Nomekast - Hiding from Nothing
« Reply #195 on: June 10, 2010, 10:29:48 pm »

From the log of Fori

Things are looking up here in the fortress. Food is plentiful, thanks to the farms I helped grow. And so is the ale too. I’ve started taking requests from the dwarves to grow certain kinds of subterranean plants, so they can brew their favorite wine, beer, or what have you. The dwarves also have a supply of meat. Lerdi was hauled into the workshops, and the butcher spent hours hacking through it’s thick hide, and cutting out strips of insect meat to be included in the food stockpiles. I guess the dwarves decided to try the elfish custom of consuming bitter enemies that have been killed in battle. Still, the thought of eating animal flesh made me queasy. I’ll be sticking with plump helmet biscuits and stew. Though, it made me wonder, would I be able to try defiler flesh, if I ever use my sword on one? They mostly just melt away, so it might not be feasible.

Speaking of adopting elf traditions, I spoke with Shin about my ideas on the communal dining room. I don’t know if she remembers though, she was pretty drunk at the time, but she seemed open to them. I was pleased to learn later that she had made plans similar to what I had in mind. It will be a beautiful place when it’s done. Building on the immigrant tunnel is also coming along nicely. I was given a tour of it, and shown some of the trap’s actions. They had rigged up a large drowning chamber underneath a large drawbridge. Even with the aid of a lantern, I couldn’t see the bottom of the deep pit. Dwarven stonework and mechanics are impressive things.

Lastly, Ibruk and his religion are starting to concern me. At first, I thought that it was harmless. But now, he has over a third of the population under his sway, and Ibruk is taking more workers and resources to build another shrine. How many do they plan to build. He’s also been muttering more about his statue, I think he really is prepared to let the likes of goblins live here. If he is, I can only say I’m glad I decided to learn how to use a sword.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: June 10, 2010, 10:36:37 pm »

Poor toad. :P
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

BoUnCe

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: June 11, 2010, 02:27:13 am »

"

Ive been made bookeeper, which is so much nicer than hauling barrels. Almost as soon as I started I found a few missing gems AND a pick.  Im unsure how a pick can go missing though, seems very undwarfy to let something like that go astray.  Must have words with Ibruk about his previous counting methods!

Anyway back to counting those plump helmets.

"

Mangled

• Bay Watcher
  • Sleep is for the weak.
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: June 12, 2010, 06:39:03 am »

The only thing that shrine in the hospital is going to do is give patients something pretty to look at.
Which I guess isn't all that bad now I think of it.
In other news the supply chest is missing some bandages and splints but I'm sure they'll turn up somewhere, after all there was a fair number of folk using crutches as stilts for a laugh the other night so chances are some poor sods going to wake up tied to a table with bandages or something.

masam

• Bay Watcher
  • How lovely...Burn it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: June 13, 2010, 05:27:12 am »

Hmm... we need a standing military.  we've got a few obviously, but it'd be better to have a few more.  Perhaps, working on the forges will help me regain some of my youthful exuberance.  And maybe I'll take up the hammer again. Did a brief stint few decades back...maybe it's time to do it again.

Aequor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: June 22, 2010, 08:58:34 pm »

Ding dong the exams are dead finished! This means updates! Updates I tell you!

Spartan 117 - Erm...well, they do now. Let's just say the bit between the face and the front legs is the neck ;).

ISGC - 'fraid not. Derm's a macho dorf and decided a bruise was too minor to bother with, so Reg won't see much action yet.

Stas - Quite the gentledwarf, your dorf has pretty much half the fort as friends, I think it helps that he has nothing but basic hauling activated. It won't surprise me if he ends up as mayor.

Also, ProZocK, your dorf gobbo's profile is up! You're in luck, there was a migrant with a child, and the migrant died!

Also, the map exporter is working! Which just goes to show that getting the latest version of Dwarf Fortress is essential to sanity. The map of Nomekast as of the 1st Obsidian 674 (the end of the previous update) can be found here.

And now, onwards to glory or something.

3rd Obsidian 674 - Evening

"And no one's seen it?" Bounce inquired. Stas shrugged,

"I know I haven't, my dear lady." he said smoothly, not missing a beat, though his hand unknowingly toyed with Throatground on his wrist. Bounce had taken it upon herself to find the missing pick. A missing pick was nothing good for a fortress already besieged by enemies, and it left her account books in disorder as there was an unexplained disappearance of a valuable digging implement. The bookkeeper sighed,

"It can't have gone far." she muttered.

"That's the spirit." Stas smiled, "Now if you'll excuse me I need to...check something." he inclined his head as a farewell and left in the directions of the cavern. Bounce sighed, just as Ibruk walked past. The bookkeeper stopped the prophet,

"Ibruk! I've been meaning to have a word about the records you left." she explained. Ibruk raised an eyebrow, smiling warmly as he always did and leaning on his staff,

"They were in order I hope?"

"Well-"

"You see I trusted the gods to give me the correct number where I didn't know."

"What!? You guessed?"

"I took inspiration from the divine and-"

"Did you know how many picks there were?"

"Of course, we brought three on our pilgrimage to here."

"But we only have two..."

"I remember seeing Stas go to the caverns with one, you may want to check with him." Ibruk ended, "But if you'll excuse me, pilgrim, I really must be leaving, there is much to prepare for in the coming days." and with that he continued on his way. Bounce turned to the passage Stas had taken. That was the third person who told her that Stas had last been seen with the missing pick, but the Dwarf himself denied ever seeing it. Curious... but there was other work to be had at first. Several gems had gone missing, and gems were like treasure to a Dwarf. Even beset by monstrous creatures gems were a marvel to have, and any gem was always quickly hoarded and counted, so missing gems were a curious fact to have.

8th Obsidian 674 - Noon

"And so I am proud to declare this dining room open!" Shin announced, slamming the barrel of booze into the structure. The barrel popped open, releasing the traditional bath of alcohol onto both the architect and the building. Cheers erupted from the assembled crowd, who were happy that they would no longer be forced to sit on the hard rock floor eating their meals out of their hands. Despite the fact that the world outside was collapsing, that didn't mean they had to live like hermits.

Shin's dining area was a marvel to see. Built on nine solid gneiss pillars, it was an open-air platform with tables and chairs set out so people could eat together. This would also be useful for parties, especially with the New Years arriving, since it meant the entirety of Nomekast could feast together in comfort in the large expanse of the cavern.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Slowly but surely the Dwarves were colonising the cavern. The dangerous east where the giant cave spiders bred had been walled off, and the west hosted only giant toads and cave alligators that didn't dare move towards the growing settlement. While no consensus had yet been reached, there was talk of moving the farms and food supply down to the cavern, and a well was to soon be set up to ensure a safe wa to get water without leaning into the lake which hosted alligators. Tarran was slowly building the second floor of his cottage, and Muenster had prepared several windows for it. Even Delta had been seen talking with Torvold about the possibility of an submerged home. A sense of growing optimism was pervading Nomekast as the New Year crept closer, the Nothing's were trapped outside, the caves were mostly safe, the trapped corridor was finished, and there was no shortage of either food or booze. Truly they were hardiest Dwarves (and an Elf) of them all, to have carved a comfortable existence while the world outside grew more dangerous each waking moment.

9th Obsidian 674 - Dusk

The Goblin grabbed the rocky ledge just above his head and hauled himself up it. He had been climbing this damned cliff-face for the better half of a day and it had begun to wear him out. Finally he had reached the top though, and looked down into the Swamps of Tunneling. The valley was lit by the setting sun that blazed from the west. Several Nothings could be seen roaming across it. Bax growled. He had had a long journey out into the wilds from the destroyed ruins of his Dark Tower, and with the obliteration of his home and comrades he had nothing left to fight for. Slowly he scanned the valley side, red eyes lingering on a group of Nothings that seemed to be sat in front of...a constructed wall! Someone lived inside the mountain, and the Nothing were waiting outside in hopes of ambushing them no doubt. The Goblin could think of only one species that lived within mountains; Dwarves.

He moved back, reaching down the ledge and grabbing a small hand. He pulled it up, revealing a small Dwarven child,

"You're in luck, kid." he told her, "There probably a group of your kind living in that hill." the child nodded at this, but said nothing. She had not said a word since the two left the ruins of the Dark Tower, Bax suspected the Dwarf was either too shocked to speak, or had had her throat damaged by smoke or Nothings. As far as he was concerned the kid was lucky to be alive, and was even luckier that Bax had not abandoned her. He hesitated before moving, chanced were that he'd be run out or even killed if he turned up uninvited at a Dwarven fortress. But it was a chance he'd have to take. He beckoned the girl to him and made his way down the valley, keeping an eye out for Nothings.

They made it down to the valley floor and the Goblin had spied a stone bridge they could cross when a cry came out from behind him. He spun round, but the girl had vanished! Spinning round again, Bax saw that the Nothings had been alerted to their presence and were beginning to move towards him. He doubled-back, and heard groaning coming from the ground itself. It was a opening in the ground, a hole leading to a ramp that itself led down into the depths of the earth. The child must have fell down there. A last glance at the Nothings, and Bax slid down the ramp. The girl had indeed fallen down, and lay in a bundle at the bottom. Bax pulled her up,

"Come on! They're coming!" he growled. He looked to where the hallway led. It seemed to be a stone wall with a water-filled ditch before it. A drawbridge, it had to be! Before he could anything, the drawbridge fell with a loud slam. A Dwarf stood at the other end, leaning on a cane, he motioned for the two to cross. They did so, and the Dwarf motioned to someone down the corridor. The other Dwarf vanished and seconds later the drawbridge raised back up, just as the Nothings reached the bottom of the ramp.

"Come, we must introduce you to the rest." the Dwarf said, turning to leave. Bax grabbed him by his shoulder, turning him round to face him,

"Hold on. How did you know we were down here!?" he demanded.

"Your arrival was expected, pilgrim. The Gods spoke to me and guided my hand so that your arrival would be anticipated this very evening. I see you have a girl with you there, that is good. It may not be easy for others to accept your staying here; knowing that you saved an innocent child will help their acceptance."

Bax realised at once the kind of Dwarf this was. There had been Goblins in the Dark Towers like this, insisting that they spoke with the Gods. But he pushed the thought out of his mind, he would need all his wits to convince the Dwarves to let him stay with them, and give him a chance to avenge his lost home.

10th Obsidian 674 - Unknown

Derm had spent over five days down in the cavern depths now. He had explored further than any other Dwarf before. He had found veins of rich gold, silver, platinum and pockets of gems large enough to be mistaken for coloured glass boulders. He had discovered that the lake to the north of the temple extended under the cavern floor and reached to the south. He had not had another fight with a cavern critter, but he had managed to scare several giant toads away.

It was lucky he had convinced Tarran to forge him a flask, he reflected, as he filled the iron container with fresh lake water. His alcohol had run out but the water ensured that he did not die of thirst. He wasn't planning to stay down in the depths long enough for alcohol withdrawal to set in, so there was little panic for the lack of alcohol. A sudden noise startled him as a growl made itself heard behind him. The Dwarf threw the flask to the floor and grabbed his axe, bellowing a cry. The creature gave a loud grunt but stood its ground. Derm examined it; at first it seemed to be a moving mouth, but upon closer inspection he could see it was a reptilian-like creature with an oversized mouth and short stubby legs, red eyes glinted at him. He had no idea what it was.

"Grrrlak." the creature growled. Derm stood his ground, hefting his axe,

"Gorlak to you too!" his shouted, waving his axe through the air. The creature gave a squeal and turned tail, leaving into the gloom. Derm smiled, "Gorlak, that's a good ugly name for something ugly." he said to himself, proud that he had encountered a new species and wondering if this made him a doctor of science. Shrugging, he picked up his flask, re-filled it and continued on his way. If his calculations were correct he would be back in Nomekast by the fifteenth, just in time for the festival of Nekut, god of the Moon, which he remembered Ibruk declaring some days before his departure.

----------

A curious question, but can pantheons be shared between races? The dwarven god of the moon has got an awful lot of goblin worshippers, it's also the first time I've seen the names of worshippers shown when the god's description is shown
« Last Edit: June 29, 2010, 06:09:51 am by Aequor »
[USE_GOOD_REASON:UNTHINKABLE]

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: June 22, 2010, 09:13:45 pm »

I am a complete badass.

Derm Soulchopper, Mighty Dwarven Explorer! Uncovering the deeps one kill at a time! His is a fortune of kings!
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Stas

• Bay Watcher
  • Procrastination
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: June 22, 2010, 09:24:36 pm »

My dwarf =  8) Epic win thief  8)

Also, I'll look around Nomekast for a specific kind of dwarf.

-Not a fanatic worshiper of Ibruk's religion.
-Has to be a good friend of mine.
-Must have thieving skills.
-Must be reliable.

Also, I'll expand my complex a little more. Maybe add in some kind of vault, and chambers for my upcoming Thief guild friendly group of friends!

ALSO! EPIC STORY! By far the most enjoyable read I had had since Boatmurdered.
I LOVE YOU AEQUOR!

No I'm not psychic. I just know that this is dwarf fortress. and the most stupidly awesome and inexplicable thing is probably going to be the first thing to happen.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: June 23, 2010, 08:14:54 am »

Since everyone is moving down to the caves, I request that a barracks be dug out close to the temple. There I will live and train with my squad of priests.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: June 23, 2010, 01:12:52 pm »

Yay, updates!

Can I have a gold door for my cottage forged by myself?
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Fortis

• Bay Watcher
  • Suspected Elf Sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: June 23, 2010, 03:00:17 pm »

((Just curious, who is Fori friends with?))

From the Log of Fori.

He did it. He really went and did it. That mad prophet Ibruk has let a goblin within the halls! What could he possibly be thinking?! As if we didn’t have enough enemies, the defilers above, and forgotten beasts below, he went and let a goblin within our walls! We would be no worse off if he had opened the door and invited in a defiler in for tea. And the poor dwarf girl the goblin brought, I shudder to think what the unfortunate child has gone through before the spirits led her here. How she must have suffered at the hands of the goblins. At least, now she will be among her own kind now, perhaps the dwarves will be able to help her recover from her captivity. But I won’t be leaving my rapier behind in my room anymore while that goblin still remains here. I’m glad that there are so many stout dwarves here who know how to fight as well.

This goblin has my mind on morbid thoughts recently. Consciously, I wonder again if any elves besides myself still draw breath, and if not, why these goblins were spared but my kin killed. It’s been a long time, and I have received neither word nor sight of any of my kin. Unconsciously, my sleeping mind sends dreams to disrupt my rest. It is the same scene over and over. I was walking through a forest, but the trees were black like the flesh of a defiler and they had no leaves, but tiny tentacles that resemble the defiler’s appendages. There are no flowers or shrubs, and the grass is dead. I often saw elves standing ahead, they either ignored me, or regarded me with scorn and contempt. Sometimes I hear them accusing me, calling me a traitor for abandoning the woods to live among dwarves. Yet, through the corrupted trees, I see a bit of land that is still wholesome. An elderly elf sits there, ancient even by our long lived standards. He sits amid a circle of green grass, and I can see a lone tree sampling growing at his feet. This elf alone, among all the others, regards me with a kindly smile. He beckons me to join him, but every time I get close, the corrupted trees around me shift into defilers, and attack. I generally wake up around then.

At first I am inclined to dismiss this dream as the figments of a harried mind. Yet, sometimes I wonder. The artifacts that Ibruk and the others have made. The gods warning Kadzar about the forgotten beast. Are the spirits of the woods trying to tell me something? Who is that ancient elf, and why is he the only one who does not condemn me? I wish I was a more philosophical elf, so I can make sense of it. I don’t know who to ask here among the dwarves. Or even if I should. If Reg got wind of it, he’d would claim I was insane and try to have me banished or something. Nor do I want to approach Ibruk, I still think he’s mad for letting the goblin in. Still, I don’t think I should keep this bottled up. I might ask advice from a few of my friends, or maybe see what Kadzar can make of it.

However, my instinct tells me that it will have to be I and I alone who deciphers this dream.

BoUnCe

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: June 24, 2010, 10:54:56 am »

A silly request but could I get an open office looking over the occupied parts the cavern. Tried to look at the maps of the fortress but unable to view them properly at work.

------

Bounce shuffled her carefully marked slate files together.  No one seemed bothered that things went missing. She would now keep watch of everything that was made, kept and eaten.  The Elf farmer, Fori was very helpful with her carefully arranged stacks of Plump helmets but some of the others did not even care!  Something else though was playing on her mind,  all these fancy rooms and expensive trinklets, surely something would be attracted to to the riches which where being found and created, and not just the Nothings...

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: June 24, 2010, 11:51:08 am »

The Writings of Rion Trueax-Obsidian the 10th

I'd say the world has gone mad, but that already happened. We got a goblin. Oh well, at this point a religion of torture obsessed maniac is still a better compainion than the Nothing.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Aequor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: June 27, 2010, 08:05:14 pm »

Stas - Aww, thanks!  :)

Kadzar - That's a good idea, and actually would be in tune for an idea in the storyline I have.

Tarran - Well OK, if I can find some native gold then you can have your forged gold door, but I'm not being blamed if it gets stolen by the resident thief suspicious individual.

Fortis - Fori is friends with everyone but Derm, Rion, Tarran and Johann, along with 3 unnamed dorfs. That makes about 20 friends.

BoUnCe - Sure thing.

10th Obsidian 674 - Dawn

"Ibruk! This time you've gone too far!" came the accusing shout. Fori stood in front of the temple as Ibruk arrived for morning prayers. With her was a crowd of Dwarves, "We're not letting a Goblin stay here!"

Ibruk frowned slightly, raising an eyebrow,

"My dear pilgrims, this Goblin's arrival was mandated by the gods! You can see the truth upon Slyshaken!" he protested calmly. A Dwarf stepped out of the crowd,

"We can't let a murderous greenskin stay with us! He'll murder us in our sleep! Think of what that poor child must've gone through!" she screeched.

"We let Fori stay. And is history not full of hatred between Elves and Dwarves?" came a voice. They all turned. It was Kadzar, stepping out of the temple. He looked ill-at-ease, he himself was not keen on a Goblin staying, but he was a loyal follower of Ibruk's teachings and he would serve the gods before he serves his own convictions.

"Elves have always acted honourably!" Fori protested, "Goblins regularly murder their own kind!"

"I have had the child checked out by Reg and Dr. Steve. They both say she is fine, she has just lost her voice by the shock-"

"Of torture!"

"Of the attacks by Nothings. Furthermore I have spoken in depth to the Goblin, Bax. He is honourable, his only desire is to avenge his fallen kin and defeat the Nothing."

A few feet shuffled in the crowd, they could relate to that. Ibruk continued,

"Furthermore we are all that is left of pious civilization. We must reach out with both hands and secure all the aid we can from pilgrims. The gods brought Bax to Nomekast that he might serve as a warrior and as a reminder that we are all affected by the Nothing. Dwarves and Elves, Goblins and Humans, the Nothing will wipe out all and any decadent society. Let us not go down the path of hubris and race-centred thoughts. All races are in this together, all of us must strive to perfect Nomekast as a shining beacon of piousness. All I ask is that you give this Goblin a chance, that he can prove himself more worthy than his more murderous kin."

Some of the more lax or religious of the crowd began to let up, which led to further debate and arguments, until it was finally agreed that Bax could stay but at the slightest hint of being nothing less than a model citizen, he would be thrown out to the Nothing.

11th Obisidian 674 - Noon

"Where's Melagius?" Johann asked, "It's not like him to miss lunch." Torvold looked at him irritably,

"What? How should I know? I have work to do you know! We need defences! Real defences! Not little cage traps, but automated pressure-plated, self-activated, super-powered traps!" he replied tersely. Johann shrugged, taking a mouthful of plump helmet and turning to Rovod instead,

"Have you seen Melagius? He's been gone for over a day now." Rovod looked up from his meal,

"Hm? Melagius? I think I saw him up by the workshops. I don't know what he was doing though, he was being rather secretive." he answered.

12th Obisidian 674 - Afternoon

Kadzar struck the earthen walls with the pick. He had managed to get Tarran to forge several more picks and now he and several more of the more pious Dwarves were beginning to next project. Nomekast was the holy torch of the world, and they needed a priesthood to reflect that; priests that could and would defend the religion and Ibruk's teachings. For that reason he and several others were carving out barracks for the warrior-priests to train in, just outside the temple. It would include lodgings as well as a training room, and also a shrine to Os the Hardy Gleams, the War-God of Thunder, whose mighty axe cleft the island of Haenir off the continent.

- - - - - - - - -

With the colonising effort in full swing, the Dwarves had begun the laborious task of moving the food and seeds down into the caverns. Farms were being set up under Fori's guidance and Torvold had been placed in charge of setting the defences for the growing settlement in the cavern. This he did with enthusiasm, setting walls up and preparing plans for elaborate traps and more. Bounce had even taken time off accounting to take a pick and begin a small open-air office where she could work in peace. Talk of moving the bedrooms down had been broken down into one single communal bedroom to save time and space, and the hospital was scheduled to eventually be moved down. The Dwarves had abandoned all pretence of living near the surface for the safety of the underground. Deep in the earth's surface the Nothings would find it much harder to get to them, and the atmosphere was much better for morale and sanity. Bax, wanting to prove himself to the Dwarves and eager to keep them off his back and away from killing him, had been using the strength he had gained from years in the Dark Towers towards the laborious job of clearing the carved rooms of rock rubble. The girl he had saved was still not speaking, and the Dwarves had nicknamed her 'Atis', after the famed Queen who refused to speak a word during her entire 62-year reign. She hung around with Torvold mostly, assisting him whenever she could. Stas was also often down in the caverns, but he seemed to vanish regularly, and was seen hauling boulders of cobaltite, even though no cobaltite had yet been mined. When asked about this, he insisted he had found the boulders languishing around and thought that the gentledwarven thing to do would be to bring them in.

Spoiler: The Temple barracks (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: The farms (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Bounce's office (click to show/hide)

13th Obsidian 674 - Morning

Melagius stirred on the bed, waking up at last,

"Ungh, what have I been doing?" he asked, looking round, he was in the hospital. He seemed to be holding an iron idol of a Goblin and an alligator, but where he got it from he wasn't sure. Reg tutted,

"You were found in the workshops, clutching that thing, raving about glass or something. We had to knock you out to get you here." he replied. Melagius felt his head, there was a lump there,

"I don't remember being in the workshops."

"Of course not, you went crazy-like. Like Ibruk and Stas, what our good prophet would call 'divine inspiration'."

"Textbook artifact disorder." Doc. Steve quipped, "You should be glad you didn't go berserk and kill everyone, I've seen it happen."

"Wha?"

"Wha, now there's a good way of saying things eloquently." Steve said sarcastically, moving several metal instruments to the coffers,,

"What is that you've got anyway?" Reg asked, pointing at the iron idol,

"Domas Eser - The Guilds of Glitter." Melagius replied automatically without even thinking about it, he shook his head, "I-I don't know." he brought it up to his eyes, "But it's perfect craftsdwarfship, as you can expect from me, of course."

Reg examined the idol himself,

"Psh, Ibruk will probably explain this as showing that we must exterminate all alligators or something."

15th Obsidian 674 - Night

"And so the Dwarves Rigoth and Erith did toil for a century to create a great sphere of silver, and Os of Thunder threw the sphere into the sky where it hung as though by strings and Atir of Jewels did make it shine like a gem; and this Nekut did present to Id, King of the Gods. But Ungeg had nought to counter the beauty of this silver circle and so the gods made Nekut god of the Moon." Ibruk finished, reading the last of the tablet. The collected tablets of the Temple had recently been finished, recounting the creation myths and most important of the legends, such as that of Nekut's promotion to guardianship of the Moon.

"Before we begin the celebration of Nekut's shining light, I would like to points you to Melagius' recent touching by the gods. By their inspiration he has created The Guilds of Glitter, proof that we must aid our fellow races in the fight against evil, whatever form it takes, let us reflect on this as we celebrate the god who defeated the great evil of Nokor the dead god. And now let us pray and celebrate Nekut's great exploits."

Now that Nomekast was safe, with a strong supply of food and water, he had decided it was time to promote the piousness of its citizens; starting by respecting the festivals and feast days of the gods and saints. Nekut's festival was a time of cheerfulness and of looking forward to the New Year. Having finished reading, Ibruk and the assembled community bowed their heads for a moment, before standing up and making for the dining area. Kegs of plump helmet wine and pig tail beer were already prepared. Nekut's festival usually had silver kegs specially for such an occasion, but in light of the lack of silver they had to make do with wooden ones.

The festival soon became little more than a reason to party and drink, as it usually did. The Dwarves spent the rest of the night, and much of the following morning, drinking anything they could get their hands on, performing stunts that would involve anything from crutches to cave wheat, and falling off the dining area and swearing that they had been nowhere near the edge. Even Fori found herself drinking from a keg of beer; while Bax let his guard down to drink a bit, and found himself completely smashed within minutes due to the strength of Dwarven booze. Half-way through the celebration Derm had turned up, muddy, sluggish from the beginning of alcohol withdrawal, and waving a bloody axe around, announcing that he had braved the depths of the earth, that he had slain fierce cave alligators and discovered new species. His announcement was met with a huge bout of cheering that didn't stop for several minutes before Derm was pushed over to a keg from which he drunk enthusiastically. By the time dawn came, there were very few Dwarves still awake or able to think clearly; and as the sun rose up one end of the valley of the Swamps of Tunneling, the Nothings still sat motionless, not reflecting the slightest sunlight, red eyes fixed on the entrance to Nomekast, as though waiting for something to happen.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2010, 06:11:41 am by Aequor »
[USE_GOOD_REASON:UNTHINKABLE]

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: June 27, 2010, 08:25:33 pm »

Derms log, day after returning:

IT has been a harrowing journey through the depths of the earth. I was down there for several months it seems. It is good to be back. I was promised a good, new set of armor and a better axe for my stunt. It is truly a good day to be back amongst booze and brethren. A Goblin had shown up while i was gone, but i was too delirious from booze-deprivation and apparently did the samba with him. Ah well, anyone that can survive the dwarven samba is a good fellow in my book. It is good to be back.

Although I can't help to feel a bit... bored lately. I have a feeling my exploits have only just begun.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 76