Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75 76

Author Topic: [Community] Nomekast - At War with Nothing  (Read 177049 times)

TALLPANZER

• Bay Watcher
  • entity_TALLPANZER.txt
    • View Profile
Re: [Community] Nomekast - At War with Nothing
« Reply #1080 on: December 17, 2014, 11:30:52 pm »

Mienhard would have asked for a Glass coffin.

may I have another Dwarf?
"So while a handful of psychopaths in lab coats are turning Japan into a land of mythological beasties to bang, the USSA's drowning in stupidity, China doesn't exist anymore, and Canada's just sitting there waiting for all this shit to blow over so they can go back to being Canada. Oh, and South Korea think they're Zerg now." <-Slag explains fallout in a nutshell

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
  • likes dragons for their fiery breath
    • View Profile
« Reply #1081 on: December 18, 2014, 03:55:36 pm »

hay guys lets pass the time with a little game

if you were in a dwarf fortress and you made an artifact, what would it be and what would it be called?
Kids make great meat shields.
I nominate endlessblaze as our chief military executive!

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1082 on: December 19, 2014, 12:01:56 am »

if you were in a dwarf fortress and you made an artifact, what would it be and what would it be called?

No. Please don't derail this thread, especially not so blatantly. This is a thread about a community fortress. Discussion about the fortress is fine. Journals and RPing is fine. This is not fine. You're still kind of new here, but please remember this in future.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1083 on: December 19, 2014, 06:25:55 pm »

Just make your own thread about it in DF Dwarf Mode discussion.

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1084 on: December 20, 2014, 03:07:16 am »

Ok....yawnnnnn....but not right now....

HailFire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1085 on: December 20, 2014, 02:43:41 pm »

Spoiler:  OOC/Off Topic (click to show/hide)
[22:59] <apotheoseGrifter> COMMIT SUDOKU ALL NIGHT LONG FUCK YEAH
[18:14] <The_Gamemaster> I am here.
[18:14] <The_Gamemaster> I am always here.
[18:15] <The_Gamemaster> I have always been here, and I always will be here. I am the alpha and the omega, the beginning and the end.

Stronghammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1086 on: December 21, 2014, 09:55:26 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

As the Brosso left and closed the door, Stronghammer sat back and sighed. Why could the community not work together, already one of our strange if not brave defenders had fallen. With more and more people coming into the fortress from different cultures and races, the racist beliefs of some where starting to be pushed further. He had to do somethin...... Stronghammer paused as that thought crossed his mind. Why did he have to placate to the non conformists and aggressors. He sat forward in his chair and pulled out paper, quill and ink. Indeed if they would not abide the beliefs and tendancies of the fortress then their beliefs would not be protected. With satisfaction and vigour he bent forwards and began to quickly pen down a new proclamation to the people. Hence forth any who distrupts the peace will be treated as criminals of the state. Any who cannot abide Dwarfish law in this Dwarfish state will have to be treated as criminals. All will be taken to a Dwarfish court and receive Dwarfish law. With a smile Stronghammer stamped the bottom of the page with the majors office stamp. He briskly walked to the door and summoned one of the Iron Guard standing without. "You take this and post it in the dinning hall. And let its contents spread and be known. WE WILL HAVE PEACE AND UNITY!" The Iron Guard bowed and stomped off. Stronghammer closed the door and went to his desk to write a letter to the dwarven alliance and to his own supporters letting them know his decisions and requesting their support. Yes things where going to be different.

Julien Brightside

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Artblog
« Reply #1087 on: December 24, 2014, 04:54:44 am »

A hero should not be forgotten, his deeds and sacrifice shall be remembered.

These words echo throughout his head as Julien begins engraving.

It features the fight between Meinhard Adelrick and the winged serpent Iru.
Meinhard is wounded, but stands defiant.
Iru is charging.

TALLPANZER

• Bay Watcher
  • entity_TALLPANZER.txt
    • View Profile
« Reply #1088 on: December 24, 2014, 10:23:25 am »

Wow, that's one fine engraving. :)
"So while a handful of psychopaths in lab coats are turning Japan into a land of mythological beasties to bang, the USSA's drowning in stupidity, China doesn't exist anymore, and Canada's just sitting there waiting for all this shit to blow over so they can go back to being Canada. Oh, and South Korea think they're Zerg now." <-Slag explains fallout in a nutshell

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1089 on: December 24, 2014, 02:58:08 pm »

Indeed :o

!!pyrodwarf!!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1090 on: December 26, 2014, 07:46:57 pm »

!!been a while since I last read, had to go through a few pages... madelf time! !!

thethe shiny eyeball guy stopped anand he would'nt drinkoreatorsleep anand III TRIED to keepkeep him ALIVE butbut HEWASMEAN!! andand he talked nonsense and II tAlkEd nonsense TOOO but HEWOULD'NTUNDERSTAND!!!

aaaaaand the earth sings thatthat PINKblueWHATEVER guy Is dEaD now toooo *sniff* I *sob* NEVER GOT TO SHARE HIS TROLL, *sniffff* I I see the the walls WITh GRANDdesigns, theythey tRy totototo Mourn him with pictures!!! tHatS nonot wHaT meinhard would wannnt *sniff* heHE would want fightingandscreamingand THE FIRE TO WASH AWAY THE DIRT!!!

II see, old recipe ODDsTufF From the DEPTHS, meinhard shered his troll before, I think I shall share it again a far more fitting memorial
« Last Edit: December 26, 2014, 07:50:30 pm by !!pyrodwarf!! »
you all saw it! that  !!orphanage!!  attacked me first, It was Self-Defense!

Aequor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1091 on: December 29, 2014, 07:57:00 pm »

Foton - A dwarven communist? Now there's a great idea, with all these religious and political zealots, Nomekast is gonna end up having more trouble from its inhabitants than from the Nothing. :P Added onto the list!

TALLPANZER - Of course!

Stronghammer - Thank you, and great read from you too!

Julien Brightside - Oh wow, that is nice, got a real sense of dynamism in it too, really how I pictured it! Great work!

Short update this time, to wrap up the (game and real) year. Made me realise it took over 2 years for this single ingame year, so thank you all for sticking with me, you guys and your characters all really make Nomekast, and some of the most interesting things and most enjoyable stuff to write comes from you. Hope you all had a great Christmas, and have a great new years!

Opal and Obsidian 679

The rest of Opal and much of Obsidian passed by quietly, work continuing on the many endless projects that Nomekast was always host to.

The next section of Ibruk's grand cathedral was being carved out by him and volunteers from him congregation, a hive of rooms that would be dedicated to various gods, saints, and heroes, all in hopes of sustaining the divine protection that Ibruk insisted Nomekast only survived thanks to. The eventual plan was to continue to dig both above and below, with storerooms, vaults, and eventually a barracks for the hoped-for recreation of the Warrior-Priests, of which Kadzar was the only surviving member.

Work on walling off a large section of forested caverns to the east of Nomekast on the Home Levels had begun. The proposed plan was to set the area aside as a public park, though other suggestions had been made to use the large area to develop Nomekast further.

Stronghammer's new edict had been reported out by the Iron Guard and the Bookkeeper Bounce. To some it was little surprise: many had already assumed that Nomekast operated by Dwarven Law, to others it was a welcome confirmation, to others still it was an injury. Imiwa and her congregation of elven traditionalists had already denounced the decision, stating that "no true elf could so degrade themselves as to follow the law of Spirit-murderers". Threats from them and other more zealous goblins and others, both of ignoring the law or else withdrawing support from Stronghammer when the elections came in a month, had been made.

13th Obsidian 679 - Evening

The glow of the furnace illuminated the walls of Nathaniel's cave as the molten lead hissed in its pan. Weiss gave a grunt, holding the pan by the long ladle as he tilted it down to run that molten metal down to the mould the pair of them had prepared. They had set up a make-shift forge within the shrine and caves behind Nathaniel's quarters to prepare the lead box that Nathaniel hoped to enchant and use to safely store the cursed gem Nimemnokzam since Ibruk had proved himself useless in protecting the community from it.

The molten lead hissed out, running along the channel and into the mould, fitting the shape of the box. Weiss gave another deep grunt, and with Nathaniel's help, pushed the pan along to the next mould, this time filling that of the lid. That done, he pulled back, resting the pan in the burning coals.

"That should do it," he said, voice a bit husky from the oppressive heat that filled the small chamber. "Give it a while to cool, break down the mould, it'll be done."

Nathaniel nodding, leaning back against the wall and trying his best to breathe. "Once we have Nimemnokzam safe in there, we will need to get working fast on carving out the new areas."

Weiss raised an eyebrow at the man, one hand idly running through his hair. "And then?"

"We get Lerdi's skull, find out what's happening in the depths. A powerful necromancer died down there several years ago, apparently summoning the Nothing and a Forgotten Beast, and now we find creatures deformed by some odd sorcery. Worrying to say the least." Nathaniel wiped at his forehead, sweat soaking him from the heat. "Most of all: we need more people to help us, more people we can trust."

21st Obsidian 679 - Afternoon

Ugo Sosleng slowly made his way down towards his lab, brooding as he did. Meinhard's death had been a blow, not just for the knowledge the mutant man had known about the insane but brilliant Dos Panzermench who had created the Jagerdraught, but also for the invaluable help he'd been in helping the goblin scientist set up his secret lab, far down on the Lower Levels, where he'd begun experimenting on dangerous subjects he feared Stronghammer would forbid him from had the dwarf known. So wrapped up in his thoughts was he, that he didn't notice the elf that barrelled straight into him, holding a cloth package.

"Outout, OUT, my way, mine, not yours, OUT OUT MY WAY, youcan'thaveit!" Ugo sniffed in disgust, a low growl rising up as he locked eyes with the insane elven hunter PD, a gibbering wreck if there had ever been one, worse yet than Arsethotheles had ever been since at least the dwarf had been a fine smith. The elf hurried past him, rushing up towards the Home Level, leaving Ugo to pick himself up with a snort of irritation and make his way to his lab.

He found it a mess. Papers were strewn around where they had been stacked on the tables, several priceless glass vials holding some very valuable samples knocked over, mostly unbroken, but one had spilled, releasing the trapped Nothing blood that had no doubt simply evaporated away immediately into smoke, as that odd substance did. His eyes scanned everything, nothing seemed missing, the cabinets with his notes had been left untouched, the door to the Nothing and infected goblin pens was still locked, not a single subject missing. What had happened here? His eyes alighted on an empty spot on a shelf, and he felt his mouth draw into a thin line, recognising the empty space where one the vial containing the Jagerdraught he'd reconstructed had been, now gone and possibly in the hands of absolutely anybody. It took a lot of force not to send several more vials flying in anger.

28th Obsidian 679 - New Year's Eve

It had been a tumultuous year, but as 679 drew to a close, the community came together one last time that year to celebrate. The sound of William de Mont-Saevo's instruments drifted through the caverns, mixing with drunken shouts, singing, and laughter, the drink and food flowing freely as they all forgot - if only for a moment - the trials of the past year and the friends and comrades lost, as well as all the coming year would bring, since, for now at least, Nomekast endured to a new decade and its 7th year.

The layout of Nomekast as of 1st Granite 680.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 10:00:26 pm by Aequor »
[USE_GOOD_REASON:UNTHINKABLE]

Aequor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1092 on: December 30, 2014, 05:26:31 pm »

Also, forgot to mention: mayoral elections coming up, as usual anyone who wants to stand please say so, as well as any specific votes!

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1093 on: December 30, 2014, 06:01:00 pm »

Your writing is as impressive as ever. Have you considered writing novels?

(Granted I'm not that hard to please so you can take my opinions with a grain of salt)

Aequor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1094 on: December 30, 2014, 06:25:57 pm »

Thank ya kindly, though I'm certainly not nearly good enough to ever get published.

Mostly I just love to write, bad as it can be, and most especially: world-build, of which Nomekast gives me a great opportunity to do, even if I rarely put much too much in to avoid confusing everyone. :P
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75 76