Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 76

Author Topic: [Community] Nomekast - At War with Nothing  (Read 177125 times)

Julien Brightside

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Artblog
Re: [Community] Nomekast - At War with Nothing
« Reply #1035 on: November 07, 2014, 05:29:58 am »

Diary of Jules:
I feel more accomplished as of late. the smoothing of the fort is good practice for eventual engravings.

I now have my own room, I feel very happy. Hmm...I should engrave my own room. That would be a good idea I feel.

---
Jules have begun sketching his ideas on his stone table.

!!pyrodwarf!!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1036 on: November 07, 2014, 08:28:06 pm »

"Itsoveritsoveritsoveritsover..." *SLAP*
SHUT UP!!! ITSNOTOVERTILLTHEFATLADYSINGS!!!!! AND STRONGHAMMER 'AINT SINGING YET!!!!

...armok save us if he does sing, of course, butbutbut ttHaT is as as LIKELY as MIENHARD sharing his GODDAMN TROLL!!!
"...overitsoveritsoveritsover" *THWACK* STOPSAYINGTHAT!!! Aanyone canCAN sEE ITS NOT OVER!!! ...well, erm... sorry, maybe noy ANY anyone, but mooost cacan  SEE OOOOOOOOSHINYEYEBALLLS CAN I LICK THEM?!?!?!?!?

"...eritsoveritsoveritsoverits..." SHADDAP!!! *SLURP* "GYIIIAAAAARRRGGHH" pleh pleh pleh EEEEEEWWWW WHYDIDIDOTHAT?? GLAAAARRR GLIB GLIBGLIBGLIB
you all saw it! that  !!orphanage!!  attacked me first, It was Self-Defense!

Aequor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1037 on: November 09, 2014, 06:07:15 am »

8th Limestone 679 - Morning

The militia was assembled, drawn up by the fort as they prepared to move out to keep the caravan safe from the horde of Nothing that was bearing down on it.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The trap corridor was opened, and the militia moved out into the cold autumnal morning.

"Right!" Tarran's voice rang out into the crisp air, the militia commander casting his eye over the hills. The traders had obviously spotted them, and were waving frantically as they made their way down the slopes. "We are protecting the caravan and nothing else. We engage the Nothing if they get close, we do not chase them. Ranged will engage once they're close enough, but no charging on the part of others. We're here to keep the caravan safe, I don't want anyone getting close if it can be helped. That means no heroics, understood?" He gave Juggernaut in particular a fierce glare but the man said nothing in reply, his face dismissive.

"They're moving closer, Atir Purplemines keep us safe," Rovod murmured before raising his voice. "Arrows of Leading, aim!" The ranged squad brought their crossbows to bear, aimed up towards the mass of darkness swarming down the sides of the valley. "Fire!" The twang of crossbows filled the air as bolts went flying forward, shooting into Nothing. They continued to advance however, and the caravan seemed slowed by its terrified livestock. The Nothing were almost on them now.

"Id blast it, we have no choice, move out!" Tarran called. The sound of scraping metal covered that of the crossbows as the militia charged, making their way up the steep slopes to save the merchants before the Nothing got to them, crashing like an armoured wave into the mass of beasts.

Derm was the first to reach them, the sheriff lunging forward and sending his sword into a tentacle, crashing into the Nothing.

He found himself surrounded however, and a swipe from another Nothing flanking him sent him flying, left hand fractured, hurtling into another Nothing and soon overwhelmed, tentacles snaking into his armour, breaking both arms in several places.

Kadzar was the one to come to his help, sending his spear into a Nothing looming over the fallen dwarf.

He too was swarmed, sent flying, right knee fractured. As he tried to get up another Nothing loomed over him. He reached towards Sheodir for help, who was stood nearby, but the man only sent him an odd look and moved away to engage another of the creatures, perhaps assuming the priest was fine. As the Nothing came to attack, it was cut down by Tragarus Helmbolt, slicing through a tentacle before finishing it off, the pair circled around Derm's unconscious body.

The human swordsman gave Kadzar a wry look as he helped him up. "Ought to be more careful, father," he grunted out, voice gruff, giving the dwarf a nod as Kadzar took up his spear again.

"The only care is that of the gods," the dwarf murmured, reciting a small litany. Tragarus gave a nod, murmuring some words of his own, matching Kadzar's zealousness. And with that they moved back to the fight.

It didn't take much longer for the militia to finish with the Nothing, dealing with the swarm of fifty-odd beasts rather handidly as the merchants found their way into the trap corridor and into the safety of Nomekast itself. Any relief they might have had was ruined by the sight of a growing swarm flitting through the air, approaching from the east. Injuries were quickly patched and Derm - regaining consciousness - helped up, hobbling back into the safety of the fort.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

The mason-turned-caravan master Stakud Sokancilob took a puff of his pipe, sending a small ring up into the air as he nodded. "Mhm, nasty business that. Hope your folks will recover. World's going to rot I tell you, worse 'n worse, there's talk of giants sweeping in from the north."

Opposite him, Stronghammer and Bounce were sat, the bookkeeper on a small provisional stool in the mayor's office. "Giants?" Stronghammer asked, brow furrowing.

"Aye, the north is lost they say," the merchant continued, taking a long drag on his pipe, "anywhere further north than here or the Empire of the Humble Nations - and that's in pieces itself! Just some places like here, hiding out. They say the gobbos allied with giants and monsters sweeping down from the ice, as well as with these dark blighters. Last caravan I met fleeing from there said they'd all gone mad worshipping some fool god Domen or Doren or the like, ain't right I tell you. Probably them damn Despotate dwarves, they were always more gobbo than dorf, allowing slaves and necromancers around. Wouldn't surprise me if they made the gods abandon us, Id and Armok make it false. Now I hear tell the damn blighters have turned into giants and are coming to get the rest of us down here." He tugged at his neatly combed sideburns, shrugging. "Mind you last Slate I was assured silver made these blighters melt and Armok was dead, so I wouldn't believe everything you head."

Stronghammer's mouth thinned, the dwarf running a hand through his beard. "Giants though...Allfather help us." He quietened for a few moments before continuing, "Well now, trade yes? We have a few requests for next year if you can oblige us."

"Oh aye, trade continues as ever, get your pretty bookkeeper there to draw up an agreement, I'll be glad to keep an eye out for whatever you need...for a handsome price you understand? Hard life on the roads today."

Bounce gave him a thin-lipped smile, nodding as she picked up her palette and prepared to write. "Now then, of your manifests we'd like..."

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

By the end, Bounce had negotiated payment for 8 dogs - 4 females, 4 males - with the hope of training them into wardogs and breeding more. Furthermore, several barrels of drinks, crates of assorted meats, plants, and prepared meals, as well as seeds had been bought. Several dozen piles of logs ("ethically sourced" Stakud had insisted after concerns over the elven reaction were raised), several bars of assorted metals - platinum, bronze, steel, gold and more - all kinda of glass, some varied pieces of engraved iron armour, bolts, and a huge serrated steel blade for traps were also bought for community use. A further trade agreement had been negotiated between the pair that the caravan would try to prioritise Nomekast for shipments of metals - especially steel, iron, and bronze - further dogs, weapons, bolts, and armour.

Once done, the community as a whole swarmed to trade and discuss with the merchants. Caravans were always popular once they made it, bringing news of a whole swathe of the world as they did. Brosso took the opportunity to use his silver to purchase 2 mules, a horse, and a cow for his circus, while the rest of the community were happy to trade trinkets and smaller items.

Limestone 679

As Limestone passed, the merchants moved out, returning onto the road and leaving the safety of Nomekast.

Jules had taken a small section of the lower fort for himself, building himself some quarters, even going so far as to engrave them with all sorts of scenes and images. Weiss Ironscroll himself had finished furnishing his own quarters by the human temple, and others were beginning to consider following theirs and Tarran's lead in making a home for themselves out the communal quarters.

Jules, Felix, and Grawp had already been continuing their work in smoothing Nomekast, with work almost completed on the goblin temple.

Meinhard had returned from his expedition, bringing warning of strange creatures in the depths, and at his insistence the defenses on the Fiery Cistern had been strengthened, with more cage traps set up to prevent anything getting into the fort proper and attacking the forges.

Another mining expedition was being set up to prospect and excavate a pair of sphalerite and tetrahedrite veins. Sheodir Redsage had already volunteered as a guard on it, and it was due to set out late in the month.

The quiet month of peace was shattered however as the deep dwarf Danman returned from hunting, bringing dire news of a feathered serpent stalking the caves and the militia geared for combat once more.

« Last Edit: November 09, 2014, 08:37:33 am by Aequor »
[USE_GOOD_REASON:UNTHINKABLE]

Pyrefly

• Bay Watcher
  • A large firefly fond of technology and art.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1038 on: November 10, 2014, 07:15:13 am »

Hey, next time some refugees survive, I wanna try.

Name: Pyre
Species:
Profession: Cheese maker, if possible.
Personality: She is often nervous, finds the humor in most situations, is somewhat scatterbrained, and has such a developed sense of optimism that she always assumes the best outcome will eventually occur, no matter what. She finds cheese extremely valuable and will do anything to get it.
Any Extra Info: Custom title: <<Fast Mouse>>
She is tall and lanky. Her eyes are brown. Her wing case is black. Her wings are translucent. Her abdomen glows bright yellow.
Pyrefly likes bluejay feathers, flowers, videogames, computers, hydras for their seven heads, cats for their aloofness, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible, she prefers to consume cow steaks and flavored sparkling water. She absolutely detests wasps.

Aequor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1039 on: November 11, 2014, 04:16:06 am »

Afraid I'm gonna have to draw the line at adding in completely unique, custom species, or species from other games, Pyrefly.

Pyrefly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1040 on: November 11, 2014, 07:39:14 am »

Afraid I'm gonna have to draw the line at adding in completely unique, custom species, or species from other games, Pyrefly.
Ok, I tried :P
She is tall and lanky. Her eyes are brown. Her wing case is black. Her wings are translucent. Her abdomen glows bright yellow.
Pyrefly likes bluejay feathers, flowers, videogames, computers, hydras for their seven heads, cats for their aloofness, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible, she prefers to consume cow steaks and flavored sparkling water. She absolutely detests wasps.

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
  • likes dragons for their fiery breath
    • View Profile
« Reply #1041 on: November 12, 2014, 08:42:07 am »

dorfelf me  8)
elves kick but when there not using wood, just look at cacame awemedinade :o

ember-
an elf who has never bought into the tree sprits idea. having heard tales of a fort that accepts all races he goes forth to see it for himself. he is quite friendly but also prefers to be left alone to his on thoughts. he values logic and rational thinking and is very tolerant of other cultures and appearances.

weapons-a silver scourge but uses a steel carving knife on the nothing. a whip is useless against them (at least in the version I have. I tested it)
also carry's a shield. as for armor just give me whatever will balance out my competent lasher and sword elf skill. copper? bone?
make sure I don't use my whip on the nothing. save my whip for forgotten beast and crazy guys.

he wears an odd bone amulet  ???
(oh and when he gets there give him a chest to put his stuff, store that dagger in it and give him a real sword.)

edit-
the amulet is made from the bones of his dead dragon companion who's soul rest within. when sleeping he slips into a dreamscape with said dragon. (dragon is female and named flash, is also young. standing only as high as his waist.) he is not going to tell anyone about it yet. I hope he makes it to the fort....
« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 06:54:10 pm by endlessblaze »
Kids make great meat shields.
I nominate endlessblaze as our chief military executive!

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1042 on: November 15, 2014, 07:25:38 pm »

srry for the double post but if you guys don't mind im going to journal now.

ember-

as I walked across a small field I heard ever so slight noises. I had become familiar with this. I drew my dagger, knowing my whip was useless against these fiends. it had been a day since my last encounter. I would grant these monstrosities no quarter.  swiftly I turned around and delivered a single diagonal slash across its form, and then sliced at its neck, severing it from its inky black body. as another charged at me I side stepped and slashed off one of its tentacles, spun around as it passed me and delivered a kick to its back, sending it sprawling. swift as wildfire I danced through the advancing crowd slashing and stabbing as the monsters swarmed me. any other fight would see me standing over dead bodies in a few seconds. my silver whip would disabled most foes in one hit, if it did not out right kill them. but these beast, these embodiments of the void had no brain to harm and no pain to feel. thay were beginning to over whelm me, there were more than last time.

I will not fall so easy. my fire shall not be extinguished!

it was hard to evade there strikes. every dodge would send me into the grasp of another. I had to win this. I had to fight on. i attempt to disengage from the swarm and charged one. knocking it down i kept going, running and slashing. as i broke through an arrow whizzed past my face and struck at the beast.

refuges! they must be on there way to nomekast! with any luck they would survive the trip. but first we would have to survive this. an archer human, and a few sword dwarfs ran to my aid. others stayed with the group armed and ready to assist if need be and protect the others.

together we defeated the monsters in a flurry of blades (and arrows) shadowy black limbs flew, moments before vanishing into wispy smoke.  until finally the beast were gone.

the archer was the first to speak her voice was rather pleasant i suppose, but i wouldn't know as i preferred to stay to myself. 

rather brave of you to be out by yourself, or maybe foolish is a better word.

i had a companion but these beast overwhelmed us. she dared not go all out with myself so close.

i see.....and were are you headed.

to komekast. I believe it means godsaved

you are correct, that is were we are headed also.

then i guess you have someone else to travel with i said with smirk.

so it would seem.

we traveled a bit further until settling down for the night. as i stood ,or rather, sat watch i relaxed a bit and spoke.

we will get there soon flash don't you worry. i could just make out the faint low rumbling growl in my mind. when it was time for me to sleep i would run across the dream world and play with my lost dragon. her body may be gone but her soul would follow me. perhaps we would play fetch first or maybe "lets cook some dinner" she always loved to get her prey with fire rather claws.

OOC-

ok guys what you think? when we get there if there are no archers and swordsmendwarfs we can assume they fell behind or died. (or we could  throw in one of them as a side char, whatever works)
 :D

!!pyrodwarf!!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1043 on: November 18, 2014, 03:40:53 pm »

...he values logic and rational thinking...
!! wow, erm... guess we wont be getting on then...
you all saw it! that  !!orphanage!!  attacked me first, It was Self-Defense!

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1044 on: November 19, 2014, 04:19:26 pm »

my character is very logical yes.....but he is also my representative in this world, so therefore he is similar to me.

ergo he will have insane outburst of dramaticness, most likely along the lines of.

KILL IT WITH FIRE! 8) (or magma)

I WILL HAVE MY REVENGE (for something like losing a board game or cardgame or whatever) >:(

you might notice some dramticness if you look in his first "journal".

so you might get along just a bit if you like insane dramatic outburst.

i do look forward to how he turns out with aquors writing, im not after an exact clone of me, i want to see how the information i gave so far works with aquor.
(speaking of our absent writer of legend, HURRY UPZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!!!! WE WANT MOARRRRR!!!!! YOUR TAKEING SO LONG IM FORGETING WHO IS WHO!!!!  :o:D

Aequor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1045 on: November 22, 2014, 07:19:54 pm »

endlessblaze - Sure thing! In with the next surviving migrants. ;)

Pyrefly - you're more than welcome to join, but yeah, gonna have to say no to completely unique or species from other works. :P

23rd Limestone 679 - Afternoon

"I don't understand. There was no vision this time, nothing," Derm mused, chewing his lower lip as he hefted his pack onto his back, frowning deep.

"Well, we don't always get visions," Fori replied, watching him with a rather worried expression. Derm would be heading out with the militia, while she - having never recovered from the poison she'd been inflicted with that had dulled her reactions far too much - would be trapped here waiting for news.

Derm shook his head. "I don't like it, with everything that's happening I just hope they're not learning to be sneaky." He sighed, taking Fori's hand and giving it a light squeeze as he gave her a smile.

"Spirits keep you, Derm, come back safe," she murmured, and watched him leave.

Outside, the militia was already assembled, Tarran prowling the front ranks with a rather unhappy look on his face. He gave Derm a small nod. "Just a season of peace, that's all I want. This place will be the death of me," he muttered.

"Gods keep us, but we'll last longer than elsewhere," Rovod interjected, fingers clutching his crossbow tight. Tarran only shrugged as they drew up the militia's ranks, ready to set off.

Danman moved up to them, the deep dwarf hoisting his bow across his back as he glanced down at the dwarves. "Not far from here, I'll show you, yes?"

Rovod muttered a prayer. Deepearth dwarves had long been seen in Dwarven folklore as hybrids, tall, pale dwarves that had mixed with kobolds or goblins, not truly dwarven. He nodded though. "We're ready, lead on."

They moved out, trudging into the mud of the caverns with the ringing clang clang clang of their armour and weapons, the Copper Suns first led by Tarran, Kadzar next, then Rovod and the ranged squad, with Meinhard bringing up the rear, spear slung over one shoulder. As they made their way past one of the many lakes that dotted all the levels of the caverns, a splash alerted the Jager to something. He immediately brought up his spear, buckler at the ready and moved in to see while the others continued on. Ripples dotted the surface of the water, but he could see nothing in the murky depths. A fish no doubt, maybe even something as big as a cave crocodile, but nothing to worry about. The man turned, ready to jog back and catch up with the rest when something heavy slammed into his back, sending him sprawling forward, he was kept close however, by something coiling around his wrist.

Before him, Iru hissed, the feathered snake giving him a good view of those sharp poisoned fangs that awaited. He brought spear up immediately, slamming the shaft into the wing and pulling himself free. Once free, he wasted no time, sending his spear darting forward right into the wing that had grabbed him, stabbing it deep.

Iru spoke then, voice seeming to come from all around, all while it continued to hiss, the voice reverberating around the rough rock walls.

NO, THE MOUSE CANNOT HURT ME, I WAS PROMISED EASY PREY

It lunged forward, jaws side open and clamped right onto Meinhard's right arm, at the shoulder. Before the Jager could even react, the feathered snake had pulled to the side in one rough motion and the arm tore right off with an explosion of pain through the man.

Meinhard let loose a loud cry of pain mixed with rage. "Hy-hyu tink zat is enuff? Hy go-gots h'another one..." he grunted out, giving the beast a thin smile. He was about to lunge and stab when Iru propelled itself forward again with a roar, slamming into the Jager and sending the pair plunging into the freezing water of the lake. They thrashed about in the water, red seeping out from Meinhard's gaping wound. The Jager wasted no time though, as the serpent writhed about, he readied his spear, sending it plunging through the water several times, not even aiming in the darkness of the murky lake as it stabbed right through Iru's head, body, tail and wings.

All the while the mutated man was making his way to the shore, getting up with a gasp for breath as he crawled onto it. Iru's voice rung again as a shadow loomed over him.

ENOUGH

The jaws closed around his torso, tearing through as Iru shook Meinhard about through the air like a doll, throwing him to the side. With the blood he'd already lost, he was finding it hard to focus, even to feel pain.

Eyes half-closed, he gave Iru another thin grin, weaker this time. "Hy already killed beast like hyu..." he murmured, spear still firmly in his hand, propped up on the ground. Iru only hissed, lunging forward at the same time as Meinhard used the last of his strength to hold the spear up with his one arm.

The spear tore right through the forgotten beast's body and wing right as Iru clamped his jaws around Meinhard's torso once more and bit hard, finally ending the Jager with a cry of pain.

The forgotten beast had no time to rest however as a roar of pure fury rung and Thud came charging down, slamming right into the emaciated snake and pounding his tail with all his might. Xenir was only moments behind him, lunging and stabbing his sword in the beast's already-wounded torso.

The militia came charging in, having backtracked to find Meinhard, and soon surrounding Iru.

They piled on the attack, stabs, pounding, Bax even biting the beast right in the eye after losing his sword, until finally a bolt from Reno Monty found its mark, right in the skull, and Iru fell down dead at last, falling down in a coiled heap at the foot of Meinhard's still smirking body.

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1046 on: November 22, 2014, 09:37:40 pm »

yayz an update!
YAYZ BLOODDDDD!
armok will be pleased hhhehehhehehehehHAHAHAHAHAHA (chough) (hakkk) (wheeze) ahem....anyways

I would write another journal entry detailing ember's travel but I would hate to define him to much and not give you room to move  :-\
mmmm....decisions decisions. what do you guys think?

SlyStalker

• Bay Watcher
  • Always angry, all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1047 on: November 23, 2014, 12:19:41 am »

Please dorf me!

Name: Tribune
Species: Dwarf
Profession: Soldier (militia captain if possible?)
Personality: Tribune is a grim and cynical dwarf and would be ice-cold if not for the blazing inferno within him that is his faith in the One True God, Armok. He believes that it is every dwarf's duty to see heresy and corruption eliminated from the world, and this, of course, includes the Nothings. His fervour and zeal has unsettled his comrades before, and he firmly believes in the validity of summary execution in any given combat situation, as cowards die in shame.
Other: This guy is a commissar from 40k.

EDIT: How do I add the Nothing into a new world?
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 01:31:40 am by SlyStalker »
There are 10 types of people in this world: those who understand binary, and those who don't.

ISGC

• Bay Watcher
  • Hatters Gonna Hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1048 on: November 29, 2014, 12:20:22 am »

Holy Moly, Reg is still alive 70 pages in?  I guess it pays to have a cushy chief medical dwarf job
just got back into the recent update and remembered this; glad to see it's still going!  I have a lot to catch up on.
Fifteen men on a dead man's chest, Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum

Pyrefly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1049 on: November 29, 2014, 12:27:55 am »

I'll try again with a kobold latter. I'll just need to wait til morning or I'll type something stupid.
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 76