Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: (2010 Community Fort): Dawndeeps the Cavern of Twlight  (Read 5302 times)

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
(2010 Community Fort): Dawndeeps the Cavern of Twlight
« on: April 05, 2010, 07:26:55 pm »

Community Fort 2010.
Mission: To survive solely in the underground.
Map File (DFMA): Click Me
Note: The third attempt starts on Page 3.

To choose a dwarf, choose one from the below that aren't coloured in.
Reds are Dead, Greens are chosen. Ask for more information on whoever you like.

Tholkobeb, Kadorthol Kor Ingtak
Deepdwellers of Dawndeeps the Cavern of Twlight

'Huggz' Limarkokrost, Expedition Leader/Miner
Etur Ulzestkadol, Carpenter
'Nalbera' Luzatendok, Woodcutter
'Cognuke' Bavastdeduk, Mason
Rakust Uzobok, Farmer
Shem Eribkan, Militia Commander
'Azkanan' Thalaldeler, Doctor

Straw War Dog x3
Stray Cat x2
Stray Donkey x1

Dawndeeps the 1st Granite, 1052, Early Spring

On arrival, Kikrost grabbed his pick so we could be out of this vile sunshine, whilst Dumat dismantled the Caravan. Now we wait.

Dawndeeps the 11th Granite, 1052, Early Spring

After over a week of digging, Kikrost cracked down into a cavern. He returned to us with tales of strange small men that looked like mushrooms with arms and legs - very much resembling a Plump Helmet. So, we called them Plump Helmet.
I wonder if they taste like Plump Helmet...?

Operations begin to move all of our things down there and sealing ourselves in. Kikrost will search for a cavern to set as base camp.

Dawndeeps the 17th Granite, 1052, Early Spring

The Plump Helmet Men are incredibly docile, we walk straight past them whilst hauling our food and logs down. They were even very cooperative when we kicked them out of their cavern.
The cavern we have found is relatively small, so Kikrost is cutting out all the troublesome small chunks of wall.
Meanwhile, Cog, our Woodcutter, finally has some wood to cut. Black Caps, Fungiwood, Towercaps, Goblincaps, Tunnel tubes... All over the place.
Hopefully we will have beds by the end of the month.

Once the cavern is expanded to suit us, we will block off all but one entrance, where the Dogs will guard off any nasties. Including the Suspicious Plump Helmet Men.

Lorbam has also made a farm and is planting Plump Helmet Spawn.

Dawndeeps the 3rd Slate, 1052, Mid-Spring

Ugh. My fears were well placed. A Giant Toad has been spotted barely meters away from our camp, in another tunnel. Hopefully we can get the walls up before then... And no fool dwarf stands on the outside whilst he builds it.
Also, the Plump Helmet Men seem to have found our farming methods... disgruntling. They dissapeared a few days ago.

...To gather a spawn of darkness, no doubt. An army of Plump Helmet Men... We must ready our hatchets...

Dawndeeps the 5th Slate, 1052, Mid-Spring

Giant Toad attacked dogs. Easily .. them aside, and then wiped out .. us in .. ambush attempt against .. creature.
I now lie here with .. broken legs .. broke arm, my guts..

==================================

Dawndeeps the 1st Granite, 1053, Early Spring

My name is Lolor Zaludmórul and I have been chosen to reestablish contact with Dawndeeps.
A year ago, we sent out a party to colonize this area. We recieved word that they had reached the intended location, but after that... well, silence.
Myself and my team have come across a dwarven-cut corridor into the mountain, we are now exploring this crevice.

Lolor Zaludmorul; Carpenter + Expedition Leader
Erith Cogrul; Trader
Ingiz Nomalodur; Medical Chief
Moldath Nokgoletur; Miner
Led Bernebél; Wood Cutter
Erush Tangathast; Mason
Cilob Amudducim; Grower + Brewer

Stray War Dog
Stray War Dog
Stray War Dog
Stray Horse

Dawndeeps the 3rd Granite, 1053, Early Spring

Upon exploring the mineshaft, we came across the rotten remains of what appears to be a Donkey, dried blood splashed on the walls.
We encroach with our fists at the ready.

Dawndeeps the 7th Granite, 1053, Early Spring

The pungent smell of death hit us like a rock, followed by a scarred monstrocity - a giant toad.
After wrestling the beast for nearly four days, we finally killed the thing.
On further exploration of the cave, many entrances have been walled up, a giant spider's silken web remains, aswell as our fallen comrades. We must now decide on what action to take.

Dawndeeps the 26th Granite, 1053, Early Spring

Dammit. Another Giant Toad has appeared. We've managed to wall ourselves in, with one opening on the opposite side of where the Toad is.
Meanwhile, a number of us are attempting to wall in the a cavern which is the only large open area with farmable land - the problem is, the Toad is right by it.

The struggle continues.

Dawndeeps the 7th Slate, 1053, Mid-Spring

We just this moment walled out the Toad to the east and secured the farmland, when we have reports of a swarm of Crundle approach from the north. We have a handful of openings up there, but we should be able to handle it... hopefully.

Dawndeeps the 14th Slate, 1053, Mid-Spring

This week has been entertaining. Whilst we hastily constructed our walls, the Crundle attacked, wide-spread enough to make them easy pickings.
Nothing cheers a dwarf up more than killing something.

Dawndeeps the 2nd Felsite, 1053, Mid-Spring

The Crundle have gone from entertainment to annoyance, now. We keep killing them, but there is always more.
I have organised everybody into a militia, we are now patrolling the area and wiping out the Crundle.
Led Bernebél himself had quite a profittable experience, after single-handedly taking down five Crundle at once. I may promote him to the Military Commander position...

Dawndeeps the 4th Felsite, 1053, Mid-Spring

The battle continues. I am beginning to get worried about our Doctor, Ingiz... He is unhealthily attached to his Cave Spider Silk Coat. I sometimes see him caressing it in the night...

Dawndeeps the 6th Felsite, 1053, Mid-Spring

The Crundle threat has been destroyed with minimal wounds... Except for one of our dogs. With have even given her a name for her efforts; Fathgídthur.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Dawndeeps the 8th Felsite, 1053, Mid-Spring

It's one problem after another in this god-foresaken place. Rotherer, huge fourl-legged furry beasts editted from "breasts"... with massive tails have approached the camp from the south...

Dawndeeps the 15th Felsite, 1053, Mid-Spring

After two months of fighting off Giant Toads, Swarms of terrifying little beasts and blocking off cavern entrances, we have finally settled, and for the first time, had a decent sleep.
We are now constructing beds, doors, clearing up the cavern we are settling in and reconstructing the farm land. Once we are able, I intend to channel water from the pools high, high above and flood the ground so that it is far more farmable. Our current farm consists of a 2x6 area.

Also... I have ordered the destruction of the stairs. There is now no going back.

Dawndeeps the 10th Hemanite, 1053, Early Summer

It has been brought to my attention, as I was laying out plans to build a ramproad to the surface, that two of our dwarves are missing.
Our Farmer and Medical Chief... It seems when we destroyed the staircase... They were on the surface. Stupid dwarves...
Also, since Summer has come, all of our soil has dried up! Which is in fact, the reason for the ramproad, so we can fish what we can so we can feed, whilst we then drain water from the surface to make farmable land...
« Last Edit: April 08, 2010, 09:48:51 am by Azkanan »
A pool of Dwarven Ale.
WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS ?

Khalep

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: (2010): Dawndeeps the Cavern of Twlight
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2010, 08:56:31 am »

Danger certainly lurks in the deep nowadays. ;)
Though given that hint at giant cave spider silk, my, it's bound to get a lot worse still. hehe

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2010, 09:04:27 am »

Danger certainly lurks in the deep nowadays. ;)
Though given that hint at giant cave spider silk, my, it's bound to get a lot worse still. hehe

It's odd that, I find Spider Silk every time, yet I've never seen a spider - even in the year between plays one seems to have come and go.

I'll be writing up the next set of logs today, methinks, if I get a chance. Gotta program a generator. (:
A pool of Dwarven Ale.

Caesar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2010, 09:15:00 am »

Your mud dried up..?
Spider Overhaul
Adding realistic spiders to Dwarf Fortress. (Discontinued.)

Godhood VIII
The latest installment in the Godhood roleplaying game series.

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2010, 09:32:47 am »

Your mud dried up..?
Ja. I forgot to build a farm after I removed it, the soil was still farmable, but on the turn of the month ((summer) around that time) it says the ground needed watering again.
A pool of Dwarven Ale.

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2010, 01:49:43 pm »

Dawndeeps, 7th Malachite, 1053, Mid-summer

We have heard deep, chilling groaning and scraping sounds from just outside our walls to the north-west. Erush says he has heard it before, but can't remember the name of it... Let's hope whatever it is doesn't get through.
I also saw cave spiders creating silken webs today, it was quite fascinating. I've ordered Led, our woodcutter, to take on the job of gathering these webs before some fool stamps them down.
Meanwhile, the digging continues to reach the surface and i've crafted seven beds today - to my dismay, mine is pink.

Dawndeeps, 13th Malachite, 1053, Mid-summer

In his digging of of the ramproad, Moldath broke through a wall into another cavern! he broke into a plateau, opening up before him a sea of glowing plants, far and wide.

Dawndeeps, 6th Galena, 1053, Late Summer

Dammit all! A cave crocodile has come to the new cavern. I ordered the ramproad to be temporarily blocked by a wall... Erush, our damn fool Mason, blocked himself on the other side!
Two days later, Erush came back, knocking a hole through the wall proclaiming the Crocodile disabled, Erush himself with no issues other than thirst.
I hope this delay has not caused any issues with our missing brothers above. The wall is now being deconstructed and the road continued.

Dawndeeps, 5th Limestone, 1053, Early Autumn

This is Moldath Nokgoletur, Dawndeep's miner, reporting. During the construction of the ramproad through the new cavern, a Giant Bat took Lolor by suprise, defeating him in a single swoop. Whilst we had built walls around the road, we were not expecting a aerial opponent.
Lolor's body is still outside the walls... hopefully we can retrieve it at some point. But for now, we must save our brothers who have been stuck on the surface for months.
I will be taking over duties as leader till another is lawfully appointed.

Dawndeeps, 16th Limestone, 1053, Early Autumn

I've ordered for roofing to be built ontop of the ramproads so no more Giant Bats... or whatever else lurks down here... can get at us again. The road continues. This would be so much faster if there weren't so many gaps we have to lay small bridges across.

Dawndeeps, 19th Limestone, 1053, Early Autumn

We've finally gotten out of the cavern we had broken into, i've ordered the road to be U-turned so we can get back onto our previous designs, before the cavern made us extend the design. Construction of roofing continues.
I look forward to the day this road is completed... I can get back to work on constructing the bedrooms I had planned and thus, do not have to sleep next to the others. Honestly, what on earth does Erush eat that makes him smell so vile in the night?

Dawndeeps, 16th Limestone, 1053, Mid-autumn

It has been brought to my attention that our Booze stocks are... Low. We have two, maybe three barrels remaining - each of which are especially low. We need to reach those pools above quickly.

Dawndeeps, 3rd Timber, 1053, Late Autumn

I realised today that the walls built by the last expedition team do not reach the ceiling... In fact, I saw a Giant Bat on the other side just yesterday. I've ordered ramps to be built against those walls, followed by walls reaching the ceiling.
Meanwhile, I'm still cutting away at the rock for the ramproad.

Dawndeeps, 22nd Timber, 1053, Late Autumn

Ye gods! Elk-birds came trungling over our older walls today, using our ramps to their advantage! Horrible two-legged things, much like an ostrich with elk horns. Luckily they weren't hostile, but it proves the walls must be finished as soon as possible.

Dawndeeps, 6th Moonstone, 1053, Early Winter

We are out of booze. There are no water locations. We have about twenty units of food remaining - prepared dog lungs and pulp helmets - but that's about it, and we only half way to the surface... We must redouble our efforts. I must redouble my efforts, otherwise...

- Still Playing! Will update soon. :)
A pool of Dwarven Ale.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2010, 01:57:39 pm »

I like this story so far! Good work and I look forward to reading more of it!
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2010, 02:01:05 pm »

Lookin' good, Azk, I hope you meet up with animalmen soon-ish.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ˇNo parmesan!

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2010, 02:15:14 pm »

(Meph, Digital, I know you guys! :D)

Dawndeeps, 22nd Moonstone, 1053, Early Winter

Our food reserves are down to Eight and many of us havn't drank for nearly a week now. It looks bleak, but, I must continue. I will not stop till my fingers are unable to grasp my pick.

Dawndeeps, 27th Moonstone, 1053, Early Winter

As I was digging today, my pick nearly fell through as I broke into yet another chamber... I readied the call to bring up the masons to build the bridges and such once again... But my eyes, blurry from dehydration as they were, did not lie.

Two dwarves bearing picks were also picking on the other side!

My weariness dissapearing in a second! The Doctor and the Farmer must of remembered the ramproad plans and dug them out with amazing accuracy - colliding with my half! More amazingly so is the fact that they lived still.
But, as the barricade of remaining wall was knocked down, it was not the Doctor and Farmer, but two unfamiliar dwarves, apparently master picks.
We parted ways to spread the news - apparently there were others on the surface - ready to meet soon after. The others are ready to move now, I must go.

Dawndeeps, 6th Moonstone, 1053, Early Winter

This is Ingiz Nomalodur, Doctor and Militia commander of the surface dwellers of Dawndeeps.
When the staircase was destroyed, leaving nothing but a long, long chute spanning likely over a mile into the ground, we dismissed the idea of roping down. We had nothing but our fists and wits.
At first we sat and waited for aid, but after a few days, it became clear we were going to be stuck on the surface for a while. We thought of travelling back to the mountainhomes and gathering aid in getting down to Dawndeeps, but that would take too long - plus, I realised, their booze would soon run out.
I proposed we wait for a caravan to come by in a month. While we waited, we gathered herbs and Prickleberry seeds and farmed the above-ground soil.
It was in-fact, two months later, that a caravan came by - including a number of migrants from the mountainhomes. Amongst the migrants were two miners, Thikut Berosrmam and Iton Bubnusgoden. I immediately recalled the ramproads plan and called the two to action, explaining the situation as they began digging.
The diplomat left unhappy and the traders profitless, whilst the migrants decided to stay and help.
When we broke through and met up with Dawndeeps over a week ago, we found them in dire need and shared our booze and foodstuffs with them, thanks to our migrant Lór Usenmosus the Miller, who took up duties of Stillery-work.

I am now taking over command over Dawndeeps. I will first see to the road being properly defended, then the chute for the water being completed - half of which we dug out along with the upper half of the road.
A pool of Dwarven Ale.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2010, 02:18:15 pm »

Were you planning on making this a community fort?
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2010, 02:26:31 pm »

Were you planning on making this a community fort?

Uhh... Community... Which one is that again? Where people take turns (succession, isn't it?) or where you guys can put your names in?
A pool of Dwarven Ale.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2010, 02:29:09 pm »

Community is where people claim dwarves and usually have some small say in what the dwarf does. Succession is when people trade of taking turns.
Come play Mafia with us!

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2010, 02:36:00 pm »

Community is where people claim dwarves and usually have some small say in what the dwarf does. Succession is when people trade of taking turns.

Uh. Sure. Community sounds fun. But, Nobody get's to be the Doctor - he's pretty much my favourite :3.

Lolor Zaludmorul; Carpenter + Expedition Leader
Erith Cogrul; Trader
Ingiz Nomalodur; Medical Chief
Moldath Nokgoletur; Miner
Led Bernebél; Wood Cutter
Erush Tangathast; Mason
Cilob Amudducim; Grower + Brewer

Stray War Dog
Fathgídthur, Stray War Dog
Stray War Dog
Stray Horse
=================================
  ##############################
=================================

Migrants:

Thíkut Berosram, Miner
Íton Bubnusgoden, Miner
Tekkud Kadólozsit, Animal Caretaker
Ushat Olonudar, Armorer
Vabók Desiseshtán, Gem Cutter
Kol Estunustuth, Gem Cutter
Sákzul Timnárkulet, Thresher
Lór Usenmosus, Miller
Edém Ducimthob, Planter

Stray Cow Calf
Stray Donkey Foal
Zan Abanmíshak Puppy
A pool of Dwarven Ale.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2010, 02:38:56 pm »

Hehe, well you do get first pick of any dwarves that come in and you're welcome to reserve any that you have plans for. It's your game, after all.

Can you check the migrants and see if any of them have combat skills? I'd like to start your military off with a Sword or Axe dwarf. You'll notice that migrants have a lot of varying skills now, so a few of them are probably at least novice warriors. I'll name the dwarf once I see his/her stats.
Come play Mafia with us!

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2010, 02:39:30 pm »

I wish animals could be customized. I wanted to be that puppy. No dorfs for me, thankyee.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ˇNo parmesan!
Pages: [1] 2 3