Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Has anyone survived a siege?  (Read 5627 times)

Urist McDepravity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Has anyone survived a siege?
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2010, 06:23:59 am »

150 cage traps. Neither gobbos nor their trolls can beat that, so i survived 4 sieges so far (all in same year, one after another). Altho trolls broke all my nifty iron bar entrances.
What actually bothers me is kobold ambushes. They have TRAPAVOID and are now armed with swords and armour, and they got bowmen.
I dunno why everyone was talking about ranged weaps nerf, but these folk shoot in the face and neck all the time. My axelord lost his nose in last engagement with bowmen.

FaultyLogic

• Bay Watcher
  • [EDIBLE_RAW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2010, 06:29:14 am »

I had one ambush, bowgoblins and axegoblins. I alerted my population to retreat to a burrow deep underground, but it was all in vain since I had no prepared military or any traps whatsoever. The fortress was looking nice though.

Some dwarves insisted on trying to run outside, I'm not sure what they were going to do but were all horribly slaughtered. I drafted everyone and tried to wrestle-zerg the goblins. One goblin axeman wiped out my three squads of remaining dwarves singlehandedly. He cut them down before they could even think about pinching his ears.
"It's unpossible!"

Tomb332

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2010, 07:04:55 am »

On the other hand, hammerdwarves seem far weaker with bronze hammers working better than steel hammers but still being crap compared to axes.
From what I have seen in arena, hammers seem to work using the weight of the hammer as a factor, try using gold or platinum hammers as in my tests against goblins they seem to break something with every hit as long as the dwarf's skill is fairly high.

TigerPlushie

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_DRAMA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2010, 08:04:02 am »

On the other hand, hammerdwarves seem far weaker with bronze hammers working better than steel hammers but still being crap compared to axes.
From what I have seen in arena, hammers seem to work using the weight of the hammer as a factor, try using gold or platinum hammers as in my tests against goblins they seem to break something with every hit as long as the dwarf's skill is fairly high.

This raises a considerable concern about clownite hammers on my part.
Dwarf cancelled making adamantium short sword: Strange mood.
Dwarf has entered a marital trance!
Dwarf has claimed a bedroom.

mrdvant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2010, 08:14:04 am »

I made it through the first siege of about 10 gobbos. They killed my squad of 10 fledgling military dwarfs and about 10 more civilians then got bored and left.. The second siege came while I was still recovering, I had 10 more dwarfs in the early stages of training and two squads of gobbos came in, about 20 I think, didn't count. They were also kind enough to bring about 20 trolls, jabberers, rutherers and various other trained cave beasts to help them out. I abandoned after they slaughtered my military and 20 civilians.

bmaczero

• Bay Watcher
  • Smokie, Tame Parakeet (On Head)
    • View Profile
    • I make games
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2010, 09:12:07 am »

I believe it's already been shown that ALL clownite weapons are considerably weaker now.
The Forgotten Beast Art Archive.  Nightmares 100% guaranteed!

peterix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dethware
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2010, 10:39:38 am »

I stole hundreds of various dangerous critters from the elves (just before dropping magma on their heads :P) and then set up a single trap - said creatures holed in small confined places next to my entrance, behind floodgates.
So my entrance is basically a wall with two doors, chained dogs behind it. With no wagons, I can use this instead of a 3-tile hole.

When some goblins enter, I pull the lever and all the creatures are released. The goblins are then swarmed by angry grizzly bears, giant leopards, giant desert scorpions and giant jaguars. All this in a small corridor. The doors aren't pet-passable.

Chronas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2010, 11:48:01 am »

I believe it's already been shown that ALL clownite weapons are considerably weaker now.
but they do make a mean suit o' kevlar
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...
It should be pretty fun though.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2010, 11:52:55 am »

I haven't had to endure ambushes or sieges myself - goblins, elves, and apparently kobolds too all seem to either be extinct or inaccessible in my world.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Thakh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://compus.sytes.net
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2010, 12:16:26 pm »

I had my first siege last night, a squad of goblin axemen led by a lasher and, for some reason, an Elk Bird.
They charged into my front entrance (the ones behind that were closed by drawbridges) and killed the bait animal that was there. I pulled the front entrance bridge up behind them, leaving them trapped on a small island, practically on a shooting range for my squad of marksdwarfs.
Now, of course, the marksdwarfs weren't doing anything. They had quivers, they had bolts in them, they had crossbows (only one per dwarf!), and the same squad had previously killed something by shooting at it.  I guess they just thought they were too far away or just didn't care.
I closed the front bridge, and the goblins nicely stood all on it, so I pulled it up again.  They landed in a hole under it, which I then proceeded to fill with water until it was swapping 6 and 7, which was when they started to try and escape (resulting in me closing the bridge again on them).
The trapped goblins ended up going between drowning and not, getting Winded in the process and I suspect eventually they'll suffocate.
The ones who escaped weren't that lucky.  Two of them were caught by my squad of 8 legendary axedwarfs, and those do horrible things to their victims targets.  The last one escaped to the outside, triggering a trap and getting his arm broken by it, until he was just laying on the ground in "Extreme pain", according to his wounds display.  So I sent my squad of swordsdwarf trainees with wooden practice swords after him so they can skill up for a few months.

Urist McDepravity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2010, 08:57:22 pm »

So I sent my squad of swordsdwarf trainees with wooden practice swords after him so they can skill up for a few months.
I tried that too, and got nasty result - unarmed, unarmoured goblin captive can beat to death 10 full-steel dwarfs with training swords. Mostly cause training sword cannot inflict red wound to anything other than fingers and toes, so goblin stays brown-yellow, which allows him to fight back, and he skills up in wrestling -very- fast, reaching legendary in no time. He then proceeds to tear apart dwarf's necks, making them suffocate.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2010, 09:08:49 pm »

I dunno, it seems like the overall value of breaking bones is way less than loping off an arm. Breaking bones slows guys down, but not like cutting off their leg, head or weapon arm. By comparison, the time it takes to bash through tissues and armor makes the order of desirability axe > sword > all. The benefits from being able to bash through armor doesn't really seem to be apparent.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Keolah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2010, 09:29:10 pm »

I haven't had a siege yet, but I've had better luck with this last ambush since I figured out the new military system better. I had some goblins charge down a corridor lined with weapon traps, then proceed to... lay around unconscious while spooking every dwarf at the far end of the corridor because oh no! I saw an unconscious goblin!

I put together a military and told them to go kill the stupid thing and designated my main fortress as a burrow and restricted civilians there, and eventually my wrestlers managed to finish off the goblin finally. He had a screen and a half worth of injuries before he finally died, sheesh. And still managed to take down two war dogs. A wave of migrants chose to show up in the middle of the ambush, and due to being spooked by said unconscious goblin, they had to hang out in the mauseleum until the gobbo died.

I think I'll work on getting a military up and running before any sieges come along. That, and build some more traps. They managed to get past the first quarter of traps! That's unacceptable!
There's no use crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of *cat tallow roast*.

axus

• Bay Watcher
  • Axe Murderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2010, 12:05:15 am »

I survived one forgotten beast and 3 sieges, but the last one did me in.  My poor control of the military led to nobody having armor, which meant they died pretty easily.  Very high level wrestlers do pretty good if they don't get shot ;p

Craftling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2010, 01:38:28 am »

My fortress is in a Cave 50 levels underground. Thats 50 levels of traps that any invader has to go through before he can Meet my Legendary Wrestlers (and some more traps).
If I really need to I can just seal myself off from the siege  ;D
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4