Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What is the best way to run Dwarf Fortress on my Mac?  (Read 7596 times)

cory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What is the best way to run Dwarf Fortress on my Mac?
« on: April 05, 2010, 06:06:12 pm »

This game looks really cool, and I want to see if I can't break past the famous learning curve.  I have a MacBook Pro, though, and I can't seem to find a Mac OS X version built after 2008 (DF 0.28.181.40d (September 8, 2008)).  Is it no longer built for Mac OS?  What is the common method of playing on a Mac?

I do have VMWare Fusion installed; would it be good to native boot into XP when playing (for greater performance), or just for the original map creation phase?

Thanks for any help/suggestions you can give.

Sunday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What is the best way to run Dwarf Fortress on my Mac?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2010, 06:23:49 pm »

The current version (which was just released as is somewhat buggy), is Windows only.  I play it on my mac using Wine (http://davidbaumgold.com/tutorials/wine-mac/), but I've heard others are able to use boot camp or VM stuff.

All I know is Wine works great.

If you're willing to play an older version, you can play the 40d19 - but you have to have Terminal installed, and you have to open the program through terminal.  Directions for mac use (along with the download), are in the "FotF: Dwarf Fortress 40d19" thread sticked at the top of this forum.  It runs significantly faster than the 40d version, but is otherwise unchanged.

Toady has said that he's going to import the current version to macs sometime in the future (not too long, hopefully)

Edit: well, 40d19 is unchanged gameplay-wise.  It does have certain graphical improvements (such as resizing windows on the fly) that make playing it easier, however.

cory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2010, 06:30:39 pm »

Do you have to do anything special to get the keyboard to work through Wine?  I heard somebody mentioning they had to use two keyboards...

furrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2010, 08:02:22 pm »

I've got a unibody MacBook pro and I've been booting into Windows XP to play. The game gets phenominal performance out of the hardware. I haven't really seen it drop below 100 fps yet.

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2010, 11:04:38 pm »

The WINE discussion is already occurring over here: http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=52042.0