Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Squad - Stop chasing!  (Read 692 times)

Raphite1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Beards and Brimstone
Squad - Stop chasing!
« on: April 05, 2010, 05:47:12 pm »

Anyone know how to make a squad just guard a point, and only attack animals/enemies if they come close? No matter what I try, when an enemy comes close to the station point, a dwarf will start chasing it, even unto the very ends of the earth, and refuse to return to his station until the creature is dead.

I tried simply using the (m)ove order from the squad screen, tried giving the squad a month-order to guard a Note point, tried giving the squad a month-order to guard a "burrow" designated outside. Still the same. When I assigned the squad as citizens to the burrow and then gave them an order to kill the enemies, they stood in the "burrow" for awhile while the enemies zipped past, but then the squad suddenly decided to say "screw this hanging out in one place shit," and took off after the enemies again.

Ugh. Any way to make then just defend a particular radius, and not venture too far outside of it?

EDIT: Also, they seem easily distracted by wildlife, and will suddenly decide to chase down and kill and animal in the middle of an order to kill something else.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 05:55:16 pm by Raphite1 »

Shurhaian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Squad - Stop chasing!
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2010, 06:30:23 pm »

Squads really do need a way to control how far from station they'll wander. The old squad options haven't all been folded into the new military system - chases enemies/close to station is an important one(and when I say to attack the rhesus macaques swiping my goodies, I do NOT want you to go chasing groundhogs). It would be nice to have the old "ignore animals when possible" back, maybe in the context of "if it isn't attacking, do not divert from your course".
Working on: drakes - making the skies(mostly) a bit more varied

My guards need something better to do than make my nobles happy with hugs and justice.