Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Unlikeable. Liked by no one.  (Read 1371 times)

UberNube

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Unlikeable. Liked by no one.
« on: April 05, 2010, 05:29:47 pm »

I have just started a new fort in DF2010 (I'm on my second year) and while everyone else is reasonably happy, this one weaver seems to be seriously lacking in friends, and therefore unhappy. She has a single friend and 2 grudges already. Everyone else is just listed as an acquaintance. There is nothing in his profile to indicate why he is so unpopular. It even says "She is very friendly." in her profile.

Anyway. I figured I'd post this here to see if anyone else has had an incredibly unpopular dwarf, and is there anything I can do about it?
This guy gets it, the problem with the child torture dungeon is that they weren't set on fire first.

Exiledhero99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Unlikeable. Liked by no one.
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2010, 05:42:00 pm »

Had a fort where the expedition leader was grudged a couple of times, that was back in 40d though so non-relevant to your interests I'm sure.
If you hit a dwarf with moving water with sufficient strength it will knock the baby out of the mother's arms.  The water can then be used to sweep the baby into a well or cistern for drowning.  The device which does this can also double as a mist generator.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2010, 05:49:37 pm »

Give them fulfilling workloads and a nice room.

My theory is that "she is very friendly" means "She's that one person who doesn't realize how annoying she is"

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2010, 05:59:47 pm »

I think there was an ancient and untested theory that dwarves with conflicting likes/attributes would form grudges, so maybe her two nemeses are unfriendly people or something.

As for getting friends, give her proximity to other dwarves, and she should make friends (unless she makes enemies like she's been doing). Idle time is the easiest way to accomplish this, but just having her working near other dwarves should do the trick.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Squirrelloid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2010, 06:55:22 pm »

Its not like you want your dwarves forming friendships.

Friendship leads to attachment, attachment leads to mourning, mourning leads to tantrum spirals, and tantrum spirals lead to suffering.

Loyal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rogueish looks]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2010, 06:58:32 pm »

People who decry friendship tend to forget the other other benefit to having lots of friends:

Legendary Social Skills, and the stats that come with it. Though I'm not sure how the skill system works these days. The only things I ever see are "Agile", "Tough", "Durable", and "Quick/Slow To Heal".

Strangething

• Bay Watcher
  • Slizardman
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2010, 07:52:40 pm »

Are you keeping the weaver busy? Dwarves usually make friends when they have time off, so he might not have had the chance to make friends.

My miners always have few friends, since their working so hard.

UberNube

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2010, 08:26:31 pm »

Yeah. It's probably just because she's a fairly new immigrant so she hasn't had time to form friendships yet. However, that still doesn't really explain the fact that she's forming grudges faster than friends. Their likes/dislikes and social parameters don't seem too different.

Still. I'm making them a legendary dining room atm, so hopefully she will cheer up and make some friends.

EDIT: She just got possessed. Oh well, hopefully she won't ask for anything too impossible.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 08:32:52 pm by UberNube »
This guy gets it, the problem with the child torture dungeon is that they weren't set on fire first.

azrael4h

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Dwarf Fortress-centric You Tube videos, part of my nominally vintage gaming channel.
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2010, 09:03:22 pm »

Friendship leads to attachment, attachment leads to mourning, mourning leads to tantrum spirals, and tantrum spirals lead to suffering FUN.

Corrected for truth, justice, and the Dorfy way.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2010, 09:04:48 pm »

Perhaps DF has advanced to the point where it derives sadistic joy from making certain dwarfs suffer in an ironic manner. If true, then DF really is like GLaDOS.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2010, 09:29:07 pm »

Friendship leads to attachment, attachment leads to mourning, mourning leads to tantrum spirals, and tantrum spirals lead to suffering.

hrmmmm... and suffering leads to... THE DORF SIDE

Danjen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2010, 09:53:49 pm »

My miners always have few friends, since their working so hard.
Wouldn't it be neat if they ended as friends with each other because they worked together?
Quote from: mrbobbyg
Hey, I'm cool with you tying a dog up and shooting it with a ballista if you're short on elves, but there's not need to lie about it to us.

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2010, 10:10:41 pm »

Try killing her, it might make everyone else happy.
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... It's okay to sell quivers..."
I just ripped open a lions throat by biting it. Who's the lion now, bitch!