Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: Pinching causes extreme damage?  (Read 8669 times)

Raz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pinching causes extreme damage?
« Reply #60 on: April 15, 2010, 10:09:14 am »

It happened most frequently with giants, and I believe it was because they kept hold of your bodypart (assuming when it moved a tile away).
"I can't wait to procrastinate!"

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 15, 2010, 10:57:49 am »

Only by adding [CAN_LATCH] to natural attacks. Can latch is what allowed wolves to take chunks off of you and in 40d, could very probably allow megabeasts with bite attacks to tear your upper torso off.

Nope nope nope, it's possible wrestling now.  A human can only do it if the opponent is unconscious, and possibly only if they're a grand-master wrestler.  Grab them by the head while they're unconscious and pinch their head.  It'll fly off.  Larger stuff like Bronze colossi can do it while the person is awake, if they're frail enough, or even do it to the lower body to rip them in half.

Oh wait, this is the pinching thread.  Jeez, I'm confused.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 11:15:55 am by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 16, 2010, 12:46:44 am »

Bahaha, we can seriously behead people with neckpinches now?
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Arrkhal

• Bay Watcher
  • Who modded in these flying killer attack babies???
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 16, 2010, 07:26:01 pm »

Pinches have to be delivered to the specific part you're trying to remove, and [embedded] stuff like the neck can't be torn out, it seems.  Eyes can no longer be gouged out, either, gouging just causes red damage.

And one of the distinctions between [can_latch] and pinching is that pinching a head causes it to fly a random distance in a random direction, while latching onto the head and shaking them around until it flies off will leave the hand in your grasp/mouth.  I forget if the rest of the body can go flying.
In development: Arrkhal's Material and Weapon balance
Please test and let me know what still needs fixing.  And get these freakin' babies offa me!

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 16, 2010, 09:36:05 pm »

Nope.  If you've latched onto something, it will just tear away that bodypart (if you're strong enough) while leaving the rest to just fall into a lump.

This makes pinching a bit more fun.  However, the most fun is of course playing as a really big creature and then tossing people around.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #65 on: April 18, 2010, 07:54:46 pm »

Pinches have to be delivered to the specific part you're trying to remove, and [embedded] stuff like the neck can't be torn out, it seems.  Eyes can no longer be gouged out, either, gouging just causes red damage.

And one of the distinctions between [can_latch] and pinching is that pinching a head causes it to fly a random distance in a random direction, while latching onto the head and shaking them around until it flies off will leave the hand in your grasp/mouth.  I forget if the rest of the body can go flying.

Gouging causes "dents" now. eg an eye will have a "huge dent" rather then be gone. Not sure if it stops it from working. You can Pinch off ears and teeth though, so you may be able to pinch out eyes.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2010, 07:59:57 pm by piecewise »

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 18, 2010, 08:11:56 pm »

Well, that's rather more balanced than the old "Eye gouge, OH NO I'M BLIND" system.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #67 on: April 18, 2010, 08:33:44 pm »

Well, that's rather more balanced than the old "Eye gouge, OH NO I'M BLIND" system.
I dunno, dented eyes are pretty fucking weird if you think about it.

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 18, 2010, 11:04:55 pm »

I think the word 'dent' is only there because with the range of creatures wounds have to apply to, there's no good universal. You can't have a deep tear in the flesh of a bronze colossus, because it doesn't have any.

That said, I think 'gouge' itself would be a better noun.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #69 on: April 18, 2010, 11:13:45 pm »

I think the word 'dent' is only there because with the range of creatures wounds have to apply to, there's no good universal. You can't have a deep tear in the flesh of a bronze colossus, because it doesn't have any.

That said, I think 'gouge' itself would be a better noun.
Dents, as I've found, are caused by pitching and strangling along with the occupational blunt force trauma

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 19, 2010, 01:52:40 am »

Yeah, which might otherwise be called 'bruise' or something, which wouldn't work on non-normal-flesh creatures.

Toybasher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 19, 2010, 08:41:23 pm »

It seems they inja revmoed pinching damage now. I have pinched a elf child with my suprehumanly legendary wrestler and he just got a brown head wound.

Toybasher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 20, 2010, 07:34:39 pm »

yep. pinching dosant send heads flying anymore, at least on my current adventuers. can any1 confirm it?

Raz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 21, 2010, 03:56:32 am »

Have you tried damaging the body part first? E.g. gouging out eyes, lips etc.
"I can't wait to procrastinate!"

Toybasher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 21, 2010, 05:33:14 am »

Have you tried damaging the body part first? E.g. gouging out eyes, lips etc.

well no, but eye gouges and stuff damage eyes and lips, they dont directly cause head trauma. Perhaps my current adventers is too female to do the head pinch of doom.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6