Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Xenomorphs - v1.3 - riddle them with spears and shurikens!  (Read 20828 times)

Lofn

• Bay Watcher
  • There was a hole.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
Xenomorphs - v1.3 - riddle them with spears and shurikens!
« on: April 05, 2010, 03:58:09 pm »

Hi!  So I put together a mod at the urging of a chap in #dfmodding, and then expanded it at their request - and they logged off before I finished.  So I figured I'd post it here so that you gentlemen and ladies can take a look - it's a creature mod for DF2010 that adds several varieties of xenomorph (from Alien) to the underground.  It makes use of castes, secretions and syndromes, so it might also be useful as a reference document if you want to mod something similar.

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=1998

Version 1.3 is now up!

1.3 - While I'm having trouble effective balancing gameplay with how I -think- xenomorphs should perform in combat, I've tweaked attacks and armour in an attempt to make it fairer on the player. Xenomorphs are now split into three creatures - the megabeasts, the dummy civ used for adventure mode's Play Now! option, and random encounters in the underground/aboveworld. I've given the different xenomorph breeds different claw materials - beware, because Queens and Praetorians have a slash attack equivalent to slade. As far as I can tell through arena testing, the only thing this noticeably affects is armour penetration, so just gear up well and stay out of melee range. Queens and Praetorians are also now fireproof.  While Queens and Praetorians are now tougher, drones, warriors and runners have been downgraded somewhat - their hide is much closer to leather now than bronze.  Yautja now have spearguns, body mesh and shurikens to play with!
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 11:47:47 am by Lofn »
Also known as Zuhayr.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
Re: Xenomorphs - v1.1
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2010, 05:38:30 pm »

The most important question, of course; does it have acid blood?
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Lofn

• Bay Watcher
  • There was a hole.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2010, 05:39:30 pm »

The X's are unconcious elephants.  The yellow is xenomorph blood.
Also known as Zuhayr.

cgman19

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2010, 07:47:25 pm »

Would it be possible to give the facehuggers a poison that knocks the victim unconcious and gens a chest burster on the victims death? Even If you can't gen the chestburster the poison would still be cool.

Vimes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2010, 07:54:21 pm »

This mod is awesome. I made a Runner in adventure mod, took out a hydra without one hit on me, then got lost in the cavern, walked off a cliff, and splattered all over the floor.

It was the most hilarious and awesome adventure ever, and during it I noticed something.

When Xenomorphs drool, sometimes it splatters on their body. They can drink this. Therefore, they drool an infinite amount of fluid, keeping them perfectly hydrated even in deserts.

I don't see this as any real problem, but I thought you might want to know.

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2010, 11:09:15 pm »

I'm totally in love with this mod... but i had no idea xenomorph drool caused necrosis! So all my pets and dwarfs were rotting away...
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

SeaBee

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolves are atheists
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2010, 11:56:12 pm »

This is a great idea for a mod. I'll have to give it a try -- xenomorphs are awesome! (I was terrified of them as a kid.)

A Dwarven Smokeologist

• Bay Watcher
  • Shortcut to Mushrooms
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2010, 12:05:21 am »

Wow this mod is great, I might try and make some space marines to go along as well. I'd like to stage a huge battle in the arena with a space hulk layout or maybe just embark with 7 marines and an underground full of xenomorphs. Hope this does get expanded on some how :X

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2010, 12:43:01 am »

You could include predators with BONECARN and AMBUSHPREDATOR, as well as FIREBREATH for plasma cannon :).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Kelbin

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:terrifyingly blocky features]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2010, 02:34:31 am »

You could include predators with BONECARN and AMBUSHPREDATOR, as well as FIREBREATH for plasma cannon :).

Or bows with arrows that do burning or heat damage, and with that you can use blue materials as ammo.

COMBISTICKS!

And those wrist blades.

maybe even plasma pistols.

Do predators ever use some kind of hammer?
Coalition soldier cancels attack dummy brain: interrupted by Rocklet. x6
Rocklet has scuttled!
Crab has been crushed! x106
Coalition soldier has been crushed! x6
Crab has been crushed! x43

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2010, 02:53:30 am »

There's no burn and heat damage in this version, at least I was unable to find appropriate tokens from exe :(.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Chronas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2010, 05:41:57 am »

unfortunately combat holds true to the laws of physics now (loosely)
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...
It should be pretty fun though.

Lofn

• Bay Watcher
  • There was a hole.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2010, 05:43:31 am »

The Predator would be better off with a unique breath weapon or something similar, I think.  I'm considering going whole hog with this and adding Predators and marines - I'll probably make a start in half an hour or so after dinner.
Also known as Zuhayr.

Randomonioum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2010, 09:11:20 am »

I don't suppose anyone could tell me how to use these in adventure mode?
If you gave them a biome then the Elves may indeed start turning up with Wagons in cages.
Well, it does tie in to the fact that personality-wise, dragons are nothing more than gigantic, scaly, firebreathing cats.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2010, 09:16:55 am »

You should be able to do that by making a dummy civ - go to entity_standard.txt, copy everyting under the PLAINS entry, and then delete all the START_BIOME/BIOME_SUPPORT tags. This should lead to the game trying to make xeno civs but not making them (due to them not having any valid biomes), but they'll still be available for selection in "Play now!" mode.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4