Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Arena lets us do something we have always wanted to.  (Read 1369 times)

Iban

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAFFEINE_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
Arena lets us do something we have always wanted to.
« on: April 05, 2010, 03:24:16 pm »

I love you, Toady.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Arena lets us do something we have always wanted to.
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2010, 03:25:34 pm »

What did you want to do? I am confused.
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Iban

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAFFEINE_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2010, 03:26:20 pm »

Drown dwarves as a carp.

rickvoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2010, 03:42:07 pm »

Drown dwarves as a carp.
;D

I've gotta try that this afternoon.

In other news, I hear that you can have up to a 99-sided battle.

Naturally, my imeadiate thought was TACTICUS.

Someone needs to start a thread, and we really need to know if it's possible to export the arena map and put it up on the DFMA, at the end of each round. That would be epic.

Iban

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAFFEINE_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2010, 03:50:30 pm »

Carps have been turned into normal fish in DF2010, though. It's sad to see that I cant flop up on land, latch on to their throat, and drag them back into the rivers. It's a fairly one-sided fight, even with a legendary biter as a carp fighting a peasant in a thong. I suppose it's more fair to the new players. I'll have to make a new RAW for the carp that gives it a fang, or a jaw so muscular it can gum your limbs off you.

As for the sea monster.. I don't know what the hell happened, but I flopped up on land, grabbed a dwarf by a back tooth, and flung it. It sailed off the water platform arena into the lava arena.. striking a wall and, literally, cleaving it in half. I don't think throwing was meant to be so powerful.

Alfador

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerous Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2010, 03:53:17 pm »

Carps have been turned into normal fish in DF2010, though. It's sad to see that I cant flop up on land, latch on to their throat, and drag them back into the rivers. It's a fairly one-sided fight, even with a legendary biter as a carp fighting a peasant in a thong. I suppose it's more fair to the new players. I'll have to make a new RAW for the carp that gives it a fang, or a jaw so muscular it can gum your limbs off you.

As for the sea monster.. I don't know what the hell happened, but I flopped up on land, grabbed a dwarf by a back tooth, and flung it. It sailed off the water platform arena into the lava arena.. striking a wall and, literally, cleaving it in half. I don't think throwing was meant to be so powerful.

How'd you throw something with a bite grab? As a fox, the only options available when I grab something in my mouth are shake and release.
This is a fox skull helmet. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It menaces with spikes of fox bone and is encircled with bands of fox leather. This item is haunted by the ghost of Alfador Angrorung the fox.

Iban

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAFFEINE_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2010, 04:00:38 pm »

It was with a tentacle.

bmaczero

• Bay Watcher
  • Smokie, Tame Parakeet (On Head)
    • View Profile
    • I make games
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2010, 04:03:16 pm »

Well, it is a sea monster.
The Forgotten Beast Art Archive.  Nightmares 100% guaranteed!

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2010, 04:06:46 pm »

Throwing is really powerful, but it lets you throw a creature only if you are a lot larger than it. Giants can throw humans, for instance, and every single time I could grab one and trhow it, it died. Humans can grab large rats and naked mole rats, always killing them when throwed, too.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2010, 04:24:47 pm »

Inspired me to go play with a sea monster a bit. Easiest way to get victims is to spawn a dwarf -- or whatever -- in the wall tiles alongside th'water. They won't drown while you mutilate them, unless they jump-to-dodge or you toss them somewhere. Can throw them pretty far, I had one from a bit beyond middle of the larger water pool hit the column in the center of the arena... in three pieces, apparently. Mutilated corpse, indeed.

Best achievement so far, though? Getting the torn away lower body of one dwarf to lodge in the wound of another one. That was pretty awesome.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Iban

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAFFEINE_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2010, 04:45:40 pm »

I was playing around as the Fire Man and it's pretty pathetic. An unskilled dwarf punched me in the lower body and it broke away. After I was done burning him to death (which can only be done by letting him get hits in to allow me to explode), I decided to take a swim. It was lovely. The blood washed away and I climbed back out.

Candlejack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2010, 04:52:11 pm »

Fire men are actually balloons-full-of-death men in this version.

kenken244

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2010, 05:01:28 pm »

I also found out that toady fixed the bug of not being able to swim upwards anymore. I celebrated by creating a column of water and swimming up it to a z level above the normal water level.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2010, 05:07:35 pm »

Throwing is really powerful, but it lets you throw a creature only if you are a lot larger than it. Giants can throw humans, for instance, and every single time I could grab one and trhow it, it died. Humans can grab large rats and naked mole rats, always killing them when throwed, too.

Yeah, and sea monsters are freaking huge. Killing one can feed a fortress for probably a whole year, not that this is bad.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2010, 05:11:36 pm »

Not OT, but anyone remember that OotS comic with the cafe built around chopping the heads off of a hydra that had so many heads it's heart wasn't strong enough to support the blood flow?
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.
This is mz poetrz, it is mz puyyle.
Pages: [1] 2