Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Vermin work-around  (Read 3327 times)

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Vermin work-around
« on: April 05, 2010, 12:17:22 pm »

Vermin corpses not rotting is extremely annoying because there are so many of them.

To fix for now, delete [SMALL_REMAINS] from all vermin in raw files (located in xxx\df\raw\objects). Relevant files, APPROXIMATELY from most annoying vermin to least, depending on biome:

creature_insects.txt
creature_amphibians.txt
creature_small_mammals.txt
creature_reptiles.txt
creature_subterranean.txt
creature_standard.txt
creature_annelids.txt
creature_birds.txt
creature_small_ocean.txt
creature_small_riverlake.txt

Notepad++ is extremely useful here since it will allow you to simply open every file and mass replace [SMALL_REMAINS] with a blank line, or simply SMALL_REMAINS with no brackets so that you can fix it easily if you'd like. Always back up your original raws before modding, of course.

You will probably have to re-generate your world for this to take effect, or your world might not even work at all.

This will prevent you from using vermin corpses for anything, if there are any uses for them (I thought I saw something about extracts from dead vermin now, but I'm not sure), because vermin will not leave corpses any longer. It might also prevent starving dwarves from eating vermin, though I believe they will eat them raw.

You will still need cats to kill vermin. There just won't be any remains left afterwards, until Toady fixes the problem.

hambeargur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Vermin work-around
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2010, 01:35:12 pm »

I turned off dwarves save other under the refuse options screen and made a dump 1x1 dump zone with no ceiling (no miasma) and so far so good.

If you could mod vermin remains to be compatible with catapults that would be amazing.

bmaczero

• Bay Watcher
  • Smokie, Tame Parakeet (On Head)
    • View Profile
    • I make games
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2010, 01:47:06 pm »

I turned off dwarves save other under the refuse options screen and made a dump 1x1 dump zone with no ceiling (no miasma) and so far so good.

If you could mod vermin remains to be compatible with catapults that would be amazing.
Because of the way that works, I think you'd end up with -dragonfly remains door-s as well  :D
The Forgotten Beast Art Archive.  Nightmares 100% guaranteed!

njero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2010, 02:00:57 pm »

Nice work for both suggestions. I'll try orders option first, but if that doesn't work, modding here I go.

(I've been havign trouble designating vermin corpses for dumping after they've been deposited on a refuse pile, I assume this is related to the orders change)
these aren't buzzards, they're cliff racers!

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2010, 02:06:32 pm »

Hi!

As I mentioned elsewhere, I am using a classic refuse pile->dump approach.
My dumping location is a natural, 1 tile sized murky pool.
The refuse pile only accepts the unrottable remains, so I regularly 'k' through it and manually give the dump order (a previous accident with things lying on my food pile makes me wary of marking).

Works perfectly well for me - and I am the guy who always starts with a pair of kittens, one male, one female :) :) :)

Deathworks

hambeargur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2010, 02:55:17 pm »

Do things rot faster in water?

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2010, 03:51:50 pm »

You could always drop it in magma.

Caesar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2010, 03:55:53 pm »

Precisely what I am doing right now. It's the dwarfy way.
Spider Overhaul
Adding realistic spiders to Dwarf Fortress. (Discontinued.)

Godhood VIII
The latest installment in the Godhood roleplaying game series.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2010, 06:05:15 pm »

Precisely what I am doing right now. It's the dwarfy way.

As usual, an unlimited supply of incredibly dangerous molten rock is the answer to our biggest problems.

njero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2010, 07:41:38 pm »

Hi!

As I mentioned elsewhere, I am using a classic refuse pile->dump approach.
My dumping location is a natural, 1 tile sized murky pool.
The refuse pile only accepts the unrottable remains, so I regularly 'k' through it and manually give the dump order (a previous accident with things lying on my food pile makes me wary of marking).

Works perfectly well for me - and I am the guy who always starts with a pair of kittens, one male, one female :) :) :)

Deathworks
I was trying this without an luck, first by using designations, and then later by 'k'ing individual remains. My dwarves will chuck the vermin if they're just lying on the ground, but once they've been stockpiled nobody will move them. I removed the stockpiles, but that didn't help. I'm guessing it has something to do with the various labour and pathing bugs people have mentioned.

I should be fine on a go-forward basis, but I may be stuck with a permanent 10x10 carpet of dead lizards next to my fort entrance... that is, until I collapse it straight down to the HFS. :D

Shurhaian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2010, 09:18:36 am »

This work-around doesn't, for me. Instead of remains I get chunks, which cause exactly the same sort of clutter... :(
Working on: drakes - making the skies(mostly) a bit more varied

My guards need something better to do than make my nobles happy with hugs and justice.

Zaranthan

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet Smelter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2010, 09:41:27 am »

I was trying this without an luck, first by using designations, and then later by 'k'ing individual remains. My dwarves will chuck the vermin if they're just lying on the ground, but once they've been stockpiled nobody will move them. I removed the stockpiles, but that didn't help. I'm guessing it has something to do with the various labour and pathing bugs people have mentioned.

I should be fine on a go-forward basis, but I may be stuck with a permanent 10x10 carpet of dead lizards next to my fort entrance... that is, until I collapse it straight down to the HFS. :D
The usual checks: are they forbidden, are your dwarves ignoring outside refuse?
Quote from: Howard, Nerf This, by Scott D. Ferguson
Villains sleep with hookers, heroes sleep with destiny.

njero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2010, 07:51:01 pm »

The usual checks: are they forbidden, are your dwarves ignoring outside refuse?
Followed by the usual facepalms. Outside refuse and all that.  ::) What can I say, I don't start a lot of new forts. :P

zagibu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2010, 09:00:07 pm »

The proper workaround is to slay all cats.
99 barrels of beer in the pile
99 barrels of beer!
If some dwarves know the way to the pile
0 barrels of beer in the pile!

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2010, 11:53:05 pm »

The proper workaround is to slay all cats.

In DF, this solution is generally second only to "Use magma".

...or you could use magma to slay all cats!
Pages: [1] 2