Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Organization Thread: Warlord's Alchemy Mod  (Read 1807 times)

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
Organization Thread: Warlord's Alchemy Mod
« on: April 05, 2010, 11:58:32 am »

Greetings, fellow modders! I'd like to outline a project I have planned (once the Mac version gets out) to include Alchemy into Dwarf Fortress using new reactions and the possibilities therein.

GOALS:
    • Give exotic but useless materials a use for the player
    • Create new goals and Fun™ without straying too far from vanilla DF
    [/list]

Hopefully, with community input, I can assemble a package of Alchemy recipes which will please and entertain most if not all Alchemy hopefuls.

PHASE 1: LISTING EXOTIC MATERIALS.
    The following is a list of exotic and/or useless materials that should be considered for recipes. Those marked with a * already have a recipe in the Recipes section below.

STONE: Large clusters avoided for now. May increase value of stones as well, to offer alternative to use in alchemy (i.e. colored stone)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

TREES: The following trees have very exclusive or exotic biomes.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

ANIMALS: The means for integrating specific animal parts in reactions has yet to be cracked. However, assuming this is possible, any animal or product of appropriate rarity should have viable uses, including extracts.

GEMS: Gems might also be useful as reagents, particularly those which are highly valuable or have supposed mystic properties.

METALS: Many metals and alloys will of course have a place in alchemy.

PHASE 2: POSSIBLE PRODUCTS.

Arguably the most difficult part, and the part with which I would ask for the most assistance from the community. Without a long list, here are some ideas for things that can be produced; dummy plants for food, materials for value, materials for combat properties, fixed-temp materials, or new specific items unavailable to crafters.

Below are two ideas.

Ancient Wood: One Petrified Wood is revivified into Ancient Wood, which retains its red color but can be used by woodcrafters. It is very valuable. (Ingredients: Petrified Wood, unknown.)

Alchemical Gold: Lead is transmuted into gold via arcane processes, granting the same value and color as gold while being slightly heavier and an appreciable novelty. (Ingredients: Lead, unknown.)

PHASE 3: GAS CHAMBERS.
    It appears that the effect does not work. Will have to settle for a chance for poisonous gas from alchemy reactions, adding an element of danger.

ADDENDUM: PHILOSOPHER'S STONE?
    While mulling these ideas over with a friend, an old trope came up; the legend of the Philosopher's Stone. Using low-chance reaction gambles, the minute chance to create a Philosopher's Stone might be added to all alchemical reactions, and used as a recyclable prerequisite for certain highly valued reactions. The stone could also be a rare gem found only in the deepest and most terrifying of caves.

That concludes my outline. I encourage all modders interested in Alchemy to put forward ideas they wish to share or contribute.[/list][/list][/list][/list][/list][/list]
    « Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 12:45:01 pm by Warlord255 »
    DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
    http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Deon

• Bay Watcher
    • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
      • View Profile
    Re: Organization Thread: Warlord's Alchemy Mod
    « Reply #1 on: April 05, 2010, 12:14:03 pm »

I don't understand the idea of cauldron. Should the dwarves be immune to its effects and the cauldron operator stand on the front line? It looks like a death sentense, and poisons are not as deadly as ballista ammo :P. I mean, it takes years to kill a creature.
    ▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
    ✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
    ✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: April 05, 2010, 12:18:45 pm »

I don't understand the idea of cauldron. Should the dwarves be immune to its effects and the cauldron operator stand on the front line? It looks like a death sentense, and poisons are not as deadly as ballista ammo :P. I mean, it takes years to kill a creature.

This is a problem, yea; I don't know if there's a way to set what part of the workshop a product is generated. If there's a way to offset it from the working dwarf, then a 1x3 workshop with a wall tile in the middle would work a lot better. Otherwise, you'd need dwarf-immune poisons, which would remove the possibility of using them on immigrants or nobles.

Also, for the record, poisons can be made much more lethal. You can cause instant necrosis if you want.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
    • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: April 05, 2010, 12:40:16 pm »

I did it, but still it doesn't kill a creature.
    Also the product appears on the tile of a dwarf and has a low chance to spread (dust) and very low chance to infect (inhaled). I tried inhaled poisons and they are sadly very ineffective :(.
    ▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: April 05, 2010, 12:43:20 pm »

I did it, but still it doesn't kill a creature.
    Also the product appears on the tile of a dwarf and has a low chance to spread (dust) and very low chance to infect (inhaled). I tried inhaled poisons and they are sadly very ineffective :(.

I'd question whether or not you're using the poison parameters correctly, but if the dust doesn't spread then the idea is kaput... quite a downer. Looks like I have some redacting to do...

Deon

• Bay Watcher
    • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: April 05, 2010, 12:45:14 pm »

Code: [Select]
    [CE_NECROSIS:SEV:100:PROB:100:BP:BY_TYPE:THOUGHT:ALL:BP:BY_TYPE:NERVOUS:ALL:START:1:PEAK:10:END:1200]
    causes rotten brain and spine which do not impair creature in any way.

I'd question whether or not you're using the poison parameters correctly
    Show me your poison which kills, I would love to have it, honestly. I fail to make deadly vapor breathing monsters.
    « Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 12:46:54 pm by Deon »
    ▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: April 05, 2010, 12:47:23 pm »

Code: [Select]
    [CE_NECROSIS:SEV:100:PROB:100:BP:BY_TYPE:THOUGHT:ALL:BP:BY_TYPE:NERVOUS:ALL:START:1:PEAK:10:END:1200]
    causes rotten brain and spine which do not impair creature in any way.

Well there's the problem. The injury code's wonky across the board right now, there's dwarves with shattered legs walking about.

Please take this opportunity to resume the thread's original intent.
    « Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 12:51:12 pm by Warlord255 »

Rimbecano

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: April 05, 2010, 12:49:00 pm »

Greetings, fellow modders! I'd like to outline a project I have planned (once the Mac version gets out) to include Alchemy into Dwarf Fortress using new reactions and the possibilities therein.

GOALS:
      • Give exotic but useless materials a use for the player
      • Create new goals and Fun™ without straying too far from vanilla DF
      • Gas chambers!

Hopefully, with community input, I can assemble a package of Alchemy recipes which will please and entertain most if not all Alchemy hopefuls.

I myself am thinking about an alchemy mod, though of a slightly different nature. I want to overhaul most of the smelter-based reaction system with an alchemy based reaction system, giving the metal hierarchy an entirely different flavor.

ANIMALS: The means for integrating specific animal parts in reactions has yet to be cracked. However, assuming this is possible, any animal or product of appropriate rarity should have viable uses, including extracts.

I have been able to use giant olm livers as an alchemical reagent, and am fairly confident I can use anything that comes out of a butchers shop. I'm not sure how to make giant olm eyes a result of butchering though. Other creatures have eyes that show up on the embark screen, but giant olm eyes don't, which I take to mean that they won't result from butchering. If we can figure out a way to make any given body part that an animal has come out of the butchers shop as meat, I'm confident we can use it as a reagent.[/list]

Fox the Undead

• Bay Watcher
      • Frozen Dwarf Gas
        • View Profile
      « Reply #8 on: April 05, 2010, 12:50:57 pm »

About deadly toxins.
      Contactive posionous blood with "SKIN" part necrosis. Even with severity:5 creatures coated with it die very quickly due to massive bleeding.