Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: Chemical Weapon Tests (yet more warcrimes)  (Read 8764 times)

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Chemical Weapon Tests (yet more warcrimes)
« Reply #60 on: April 12, 2010, 02:25:59 pm »

This gives me a new defense idea. Line the main entryway to your fortress with hatches over magma, and dump the poison rock on them. Link them to a lever. When the next siege arrives, lead them on the path and pull the lever, dropping the rock into the magma and causing all the invaders to become effected.

Although, if you already have magma up next to your main entryway, you might as well dump them into the magma directly.
Not if you want to take them alive - you could make knockout gas and combine it with cage traps. Or against magmaimmune creatures. Quite a bit of potential, really.

Myroc

• Bay Watcher
  • Lurking Skeleton
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 12, 2010, 02:28:24 pm »

This gives me a new defense idea. Line the main entryway to your fortress with hatches over magma, and dump the poison rock on them. Link them to a lever. When the next siege arrives, lead them on the path and pull the lever, dropping the rock into the magma and causing all the invaders to become effected.

Although, if you already have magma up next to your main entryway, you might as well dump them into the magma directly.
Not if you want to take them alive - you could make knockout gas and combine it with cage traps. Or against magmaimmune creatures. Quite a bit of potential, really.
That's the beauty of it all! Doesn't have to be deadly.
We all have problems. Some people just have more awesome problems than others.
Getting angry is fun. Getting angry over petty things even better.

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McSpacemarine, AxeDwarf
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #62 on: April 12, 2010, 02:30:58 pm »

Question?

Is it possible to make a catapult in the raws that tosses barrels of poison instead of stones?
Project Manager for Towergirls: Subtitle Pending

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 12, 2010, 02:48:50 pm »

I've been trying to get vermin to secrete either ooze of gas/vapor; has anyone had any luck in this field? I ask because doing so could open up all kinds of horrible new delivery systems.

Here's the code I've tried so far;

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 12, 2010, 04:23:41 pm »

"LOCALIZED" has no effect on "VOMIT_BLOOD", as that symptom targets the creature as a whole rather than any specific bodypart (it would be rather odd if your arm started to "vomit" blood, wouldn't you say?).

Also, having a vermin secrete an ooze wouldn't do much of anything.  A creature would need to physically interact with the vermin in order for the ooze to rub off, and I don't think just picking it up would qualify.  Adding some temperature tags to make sure it's in a gaseous state would be recommended.

But, of course, I really don't know how vermin react with secretions.  It's also rather difficult to test, due to the nature of the beast.

My suggestion would actually be to try it out on something like a two-legged rhino lizard, and then settle in a savage area.  Rhino lizards tend to absolutely cover savage maps, and they're attracted to food stockpiles, so it should be easier to see if they're actually doing anything.

soul4hdwn

• Bay Watcher
  • make due with what you have
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 12, 2010, 04:31:00 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
or can do this which si a copy of living blob. just add evaporation to make clouds or have it contact stuff like previous person said. i think i made a plant version but didn't test the plant yet.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 12, 2010, 04:43:10 pm »

The list of tested effects has already confirmed creatures with boiling clouds coming off them.  The current variable of importance is the fact that this creature is a vermin, and as such is handled differently from "normal" creatures.

godisdead132

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven B.L.T. Beer Liquor and Tantrums
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 12, 2010, 08:00:38 pm »

what about modding a new stone with a fixed temp of 10200 enough to vaporize a poison stone without magma just have a floor of it in a pit with a hatch over it with a toxic stone that boils at 10100
may your lånem nentuk & zodost i hope your rÜsh is dezrem & serkib
1. Start DF
2. Mainline Whiskey untill it all makes sense (even dwarven behavior)
3. Pass Out.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 12, 2010, 08:08:24 pm »

what about modding a new stone with a fixed temp of 10200 enough to vaporize a poison stone without magma just have a floor of it in a pit with a hatch over it with a toxic stone that boils at 10100

It's unknown whether or not stone retains its fixed temperature when converted into a floor or somesuch. Warrants experimentation.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

dakenho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 31, 2010, 05:12:30 pm »

is it possible to add syndrome tag to a weapon?

for instance is it possible to take the battle axe raw and simple add a syndrome tag to it?  one could than have some type of a plant and simply do a reaction at a forge so that axe + gnomeblight = gnomeblight axe.  this does not poison a weapon but rather creates poisonous weapon.  if nothing else in theory if you take and add a contact poison to iron ore and them smelt it into a weapon...

so this brings in a couple of testing ideas
if you add a contact poison to an item do items made from this material have contact poison? is it possible to make a weapon which has a contact poison through reactions?

also
If a creature's blood is a [SYN_CONTACT] then if it was exploded by an execution tower onto a weapon stockpile would the weapons become poisoned? If so for how long? Does it work with a [SYN_INJECTED]? Is it possible for the dwarves to handle the weapons without being immune to the toxin? [false]

would seem to indicate this is possible IF dwarfs are immune to the poison is this true? also what about military dwarfs with plate or leather gloves?
« Last Edit: May 31, 2010, 05:17:06 pm by dakenho »
From the description of the event, I think that your copy of Dwarf Fortress was on drugs when this happened. That's surely the only logical explanation for a human werewolf with deadly farts dying from it's own excrement after slaughtering some goblins comrades.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 31, 2010, 07:44:30 pm »

is it possible to add syndrome tag to a weapon?
Syndrome tags are added to materials, not products.  Since a weapon is a product (and is thus merely a form for a material), it cannot have syndrome tags (this has not been tested, but I'm almost 100% certain it doesn't work.  I can't think of any tags currently that work on different platforms...)

so this brings in a couple of testing ideas
if you add a contact poison to an item do items made from this material have contact poison? is it possible to make a weapon which has a contact poison through reactions?
I'd be quite surprised if contaminants carry over from a base material to the finished product, but it's worth testing.  However, that still leaves the issue of getting the base material contaminated, which I'll get into later:

also
If a creature's blood is a [SYN_CONTACT] then if it was exploded by an execution tower onto a weapon stockpile would the weapons become poisoned? If so for how long? Does it work with a [SYN_INJECTED]? Is it possible for the dwarves to handle the weapons without being immune to the toxin? [false]

would seem to indicate this is possible IF dwarfs are immune to the poison is this true? also what about military dwarfs with plate or leather gloves?
Contaminants at this point seem to be highly unenthusiastic about gathering on items...  Creatures will quite easily get smeared, as will items that creature happens to be wearing (socks and shoes, plus other clothes if the creature crawls), but I have never seen an "orphan" item get contaminated.  Causing a creature to bleed on an area (and drop-blasting actually isn't that effective a method for doing this) will not contaminate items located on those squares.  If pools or smears are created, then passing creatures may track them around, but items won't be altered.

If the item is coated with a contaminant and is used to attack something, the contaminant will be applied (at least for contact poisons, not sure about injection-only venoms), and I believe it will also be harmful for the wielder unless the wielder is immune or is wearing protective gear (clothing will, in general, take up contaminants instead of the creature wearing it.  There are a couple exceptions however, such as swimming or getting engulfed in a cloud).

I managed to apply a toxin to a specific item through a very roundabout and inefficient method in adventure mode, but this does not apply to fort mode.  Look for my previous posts in this thread for more information.

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 01, 2010, 03:04:37 am »

Well, I've stayed up all night creating a host of new poisons. I'll give you one. It's called Thrombocide. (+1 if you guess what the name comes from) It causes severe pain, as well as long term bleeding, and can be "applied" to steel bronze and iron, with reactions that instead create envenomed steel, bronze and iron.

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 01, 2010, 03:19:52 am »

could someone look over these reactions?

[REACTION:ENVENOM_BRONZE]
   [NAME: envenom bronze bars]
   [BUILDING:[BUILDING:KITCHEN:CUSTOM_R]
   [REAGENT:A:150:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:BRONZE]
   [REAGENT:B:150:BARREL:NONE:NONE:NONE][CONTAINS_GNOMEBLIGHT]
   [PRODUCT:150:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:ENVENOMED_BRONZE]
   [SKILL:COOK]
   [PRODUCT:100:2:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:BRONZE][PRODUCT_DIMENSION:150][REACTION:ENVENOM_BRONZE]

[REACTION:ENVENOM_IRON]
   [NAME: envenom iron bars]
   [REAGENT:A:150:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:IRON]
   [PRODUCT:150:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:ENVENOMED_IRON]
   [PRODUCT:100:2:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:BRONZE][PRODUCT_DIMENSION:150][REACTION:ENVENOM_BRONZE]

[REACTION:ENVENOM_STEEL]
   [NAME: envenom steel bars]
   [REAGENT:A:150:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:STEEL]
   [PRODUCT:150:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:ENVENOMED_STEEL]

dakenho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 01, 2010, 09:30:18 am »

could someone look over these reactions?

[REACTION:ENVENOM_BRONZE]
   [NAME: envenom bronze bars]
   [REAGENT:A:150:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:BRONZE]
   [PRODUCT:150:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:ENVENOMED_BRONZE]

[REACTION:ENVENOM_IRON]
   [NAME: envenom iron bars]
   [REAGENT:A:150:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:IRON]
   [PRODUCT:150:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:ENVENOMED_IRON]

[REACTION:ENVENOM_STEEL]
   [NAME: envenom steel bars]
   [REAGENT:A:150:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:STEEL]
   [PRODUCT:150:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:ENVENOMED_STEEL]

the real question is, if you make an axe out of the steel can the axe apply poison?
From the description of the event, I think that your copy of Dwarf Fortress was on drugs when this happened. That's surely the only logical explanation for a human werewolf with deadly farts dying from it's own excrement after slaughtering some goblins comrades.

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 01, 2010, 12:24:31 pm »

I believe that was already established to be true...
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6