Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: Chemical Weapon Tests (yet more warcrimes)  (Read 8763 times)

D_E

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Chemical Weapon Tests (yet more warcrimes)
« Reply #45 on: April 06, 2010, 04:25:00 pm »

Do tame creatures use their fancy weapons in this version?  I thought in 40d tame cave spiders etc wouldn't use their special attacks.

If tame creatures do use their specials in this version:  Dwarven von Newman machines.

Use the caste system to make a species of stationary creatures with breeders and turrets (with the turrets being most frequent).  The breeders could probably be selected off the embark screen or ordered from the caravans.  Their turret offspring can be positioned using the pit system:  build a 1 z level set of stairs where you want the turret, designate a pit next to the top, and order the dwarves to dump the turret down the pit.  They drag it over, drop it 1 z level, causing minor injury at worst, and the turret stays where you put it.
Mods I've done:
Zelda mod-mod, Beta in the Wild DF 47.04
Illithid Empire mod DF 31.25 (update canceled)
Spotter's Guide to Illithids (Genesis mod-mod) genesis 3.19a4 (update canceled)

Huggz

• Bay Watcher
  • Sherlock Wayne
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 06, 2010, 05:10:12 pm »

As I understand it, gases from mining work by the rock evaporating as soon as it is mined, due to a very low boiling point. If this is the case, would it be possible to make a certain type of stone turn into a poisonous gas when it is heated (ie. dumped in magma)? I want to make a gas chamber...

EDIT:
Also, would it be possible to create a new form of 'smoke' which is actually a poisonous gas, and have a near-infinite supply of it by making the object that releases it work like bituminous coal, being able to stay on fire and smoking for ages?
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 05:15:33 pm by Huggz »
Proper English will make people take you more serious.
In order to improve the universe's frame rate, we must all throw rocks into volcanoes and then do absolutely nothing, worldwide, for a week, to take pressure off pathfinding.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 06, 2010, 06:44:04 pm »

Not sure about the smoke idea, but the magma-drop should work just fine.  Personally I've encountered some odd stuff in regards to temperatures and magma-boiling, but in theory it should work.

Another possibility is to have some sort of item that boils at whatever temperature it is when a room is heated by nearby magma.  This could be used in arctic maps, where you could have a room filled with these items in "stable" form, only to boil when magma is released into a chamber underneath the room.

And Squeegy, what on earth are you talking about?  Are you trying to say that [ENTERS_BLOOD] toxins can only take effect if they're injected by an attack?  If so, then that statement is false.  The wolfbane I was running tests with earlier has that tag, and yet it was affecting wolves who only stepped in the stuff (and no, they did not have wounds on their feet, or anywhere else on their body).

Please don't say something is impossible unless it has been proven to be impossible.  Otherwise, it is merely unlikely.

soul4hdwn

• Bay Watcher
  • make due with what you have
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 11, 2010, 09:04:46 pm »

is it possible for the same poison to target a caste separately from a different group of creatures with a different effect?

likely might have to give the same material or attack a second syndrome to be specifically against that separate creature.

testing as i ask this question.

ISGC

• Bay Watcher
  • Hatters Gonna Hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 11, 2010, 09:34:49 pm »

I know nothing of modding, but I wonder
could you make a sort of whether poison?
like the acid rain, but maybe a dust cloud or something?
Fifteen men on a dead man's chest, Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 11, 2010, 09:42:26 pm »

Acid rain would not be doable, because weather events are hardcoded. Can vermin have secretions? If so, you could make a "dust devil" vermin that pops up once in a while, gets dust in everyone's lungs, then pops out of existence.
I still think that the whole fortress should be flooded with magma the moment you try dividing by zero.
This could be a handy way of teaching preschool children mathematics.

Fullmoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Elfless
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 11, 2010, 10:47:08 pm »

Er, sorry for major offtopic, but is it possible to make a healing poison, i.e. symptom that somehow regenerate health?

Also, how about gas generator stations? Like, custom 1x1 workshop with custom reaction that create 100:20:BLOB:NONE:CUSTOM_POISON (or like that), which immediately boils away and doesn't affect dwarves.
Quote from: Fishbulb
I got an artifact cave spider silk sock this morning. It's worth 5,720 dwarfbucks, and it doesn't menace with spikes of anything.
Dwarfs don't have issues.  Dwarfs merely have inspiration for the legendary artifact they will one day make.
Quote from: Urist son of Urist
Considering the general state of DF, I think Einstein and Newton are already rotating fast enough that you could hook them up to pumps and use them to kill Elves.

madjoe5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 11, 2010, 10:49:49 pm »

Er, sorry for major offtopic, but is it possible to make a healing poison, i.e. symptom that somehow regenerate health?

No. All effects that can come from a syndrome are predefined.

godisdead132

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven B.L.T. Beer Liquor and Tantrums
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 12, 2010, 12:20:43 am »

what about coding a custom rock to be a contact poison with very severe bleeding and paralysis that dorfs are immune to and build a floor out of it that enemy has to walk over
may your lånem nentuk & zodost i hope your rÜsh is dezrem & serkib
1. Start DF
2. Mainline Whiskey untill it all makes sense (even dwarven behavior)
3. Pass Out.

godisdead132

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven B.L.T. Beer Liquor and Tantrums
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 12, 2010, 12:31:18 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
i figure this would work
may your lånem nentuk & zodost i hope your rÜsh is dezrem & serkib
1. Start DF
2. Mainline Whiskey untill it all makes sense (even dwarven behavior)
3. Pass Out.

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 12, 2010, 12:45:54 am »

I believe that contact poisons only take effect when in the form of contaminants. But by all means, give it a shot.
I still think that the whole fortress should be flooded with magma the moment you try dividing by zero.
This could be a handy way of teaching preschool children mathematics.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 12, 2010, 01:57:58 am »

Unfortunately, solids do not appear to do anything when people touch them/are stabbed by them.  Even getting the object stuck in has no effect (I was really bummed by this one...  I wanted to make poison darts).

I can't imagine why it wouldn't be possible to make a "gas chamber" like Fullmoon suggested.  However, since there are no beneficial syndromes, the benefit of this is debatable.

...unless, of course, you just want another devious way of executing certain dwarves.

It is quite possible to have syndromes target specific castes.  However, you'd need to make a separate syndrome for each caste if you wanted them to develop differing syndromes.

In other news, ENTERS_BLOOD does not appear to make afflicted blood contagious.  So much for spreading disease...

An interesting note:  Clothing and armor will become contaminated before you do.  If you are dealing with a contact poison, a good layer of clothing can prevent you from getting infected.  This is helpful if you happen to be wading through puddles of infectious goo for some reason (if you're fully covered, you can even roll around in the stuff).

However, being engulfed in a vapor will penetrate whatever clothing you've got and cover you from top to toe.  Swimming will also cause everything to get wet, but this generally isn't a problem (magma protection test results are...  Inconclusive).

I'm going to run a couple tests, regarding secretions and water contaminants (also dusting, but that's just because I can't remember testing it from before).  I'll be back in a while.

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McSpacemarine, AxeDwarf
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #57 on: April 12, 2010, 02:24:58 am »

This... this is amazing... I SHALL NOW USE EXPLODING HELMET SNAKE TRAPS! BUWAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAAH!!!!

THE GOBBOS WILL NEVER KNOW WHAT HIT THEM!!! <continues to laugh maniacally until he dies from ruptured lungs>
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 02:28:02 am by shadowclasper »
Project Manager for Towergirls: Subtitle Pending

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 12, 2010, 03:38:31 am »

Right...  So apparently, critters that secrete fluids (cave blobs used for testing purposes) have the ability to righteously foul up any flowing water with their leavings.  However, you can safely swim in said water without being infected, as the water covering you receive from immersing yourself will act as a sort of "shield" against other liquids.

Also, dust appears to act the same way as vapor when used in a breath attack.  Namely, it completely ignores protection from clothing.

Myroc

• Bay Watcher
  • Lurking Skeleton
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 12, 2010, 02:18:57 pm »

As I understand it, gases from mining work by the rock evaporating as soon as it is mined, due to a very low boiling point. If this is the case, would it be possible to make a certain type of stone turn into a poisonous gas when it is heated (ie. dumped in magma)? I want to make a gas chamber...

This gives me a new defense idea. Line the main entryway to your fortress with hatches over magma, and dump the poison rock on them. Link them to a lever. When the next siege arrives, lead them on the path and pull the lever, dropping the rock into the magma and causing all the invaders to become effected.

Although, if you already have magma up next to your main entryway, you might as well dump them into the magma directly.
We all have problems. Some people just have more awesome problems than others.
Getting angry is fun. Getting angry over petty things even better.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6