Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Chemical Weapon Tests (yet more warcrimes)  (Read 8746 times)

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't really have any answers for you.
    • View Profile
Re: Chemical Weapon Tests (yet more warcrimes)
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2010, 01:00:55 pm »

• Station (chain) [SYN_CONTACT] blooded creatures at the entrance, and when they are killed they act as landmines?
True! My grimfeather creature has fire for blood, so when you stab it fire spurts out and murders you dead. Also, my hellhound has liquid fire for blood, which will splatter on you if you stab it and burn you (also if you walk or crawl onto it). Also the aforementioned boiling rock is used for the Colour Out Of Space and the wraith (except with a boulder for more gas) so you could catapult living creatures at your enemies and when they die they will explode in gas and poison things.

• Is it possible to create deadly wrestlers by coating them in a [SYN_CONTACT] contaminant (perhaps a dust)?
True! Look at the cave blob entry. Try a secretion.
I think I'm an alright guy. I just wanna live until I gotta die. I know I'm not perfect, but God knows I try.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2010, 01:39:26 pm »

I wonder can the virus spread through people to people or just stop at one and is there a way to wipe out a human civ with the virus.
if one can't kill with re-infection then I'll just have to make a walking emitter that shoots vapor at every one.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Kulantan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2010, 01:48:41 pm »

Hmm, yes, it does appear so with the cave blob. The only problem is that the creature wrestling is secreting it at the time of wrestling. I was thinking more along the lines of dipping a dwarf in gnomeblight (somehow). Would he then be able to kill gnomes by hugging them?

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2010, 01:54:36 pm »

Hmm, yes, it does appear so with the cave blob. The only problem is that the creature wrestling is secreting it at the time of wrestling. I was thinking more along the lines of dipping a dwarf in gnomeblight (somehow). Would he then be able to kill gnomes by hugging them?
No he would die. (Yes.)

I wonder can the virus spread through people to people or just stop at one and is there a way to wipe out a human civ with the virus.
if one can't kill with re-infection then I'll just have to make a walking emitter that shoots vapor at every one.
There is no contagion in DF yet at all. It got cut out.
I think I'm an alright guy. I just wanna live until I gotta die. I know I'm not perfect, but God knows I try.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2010, 02:15:20 pm »

No he would die. (Yes.)

There is no contagion in DF yet at all. It got cut out.
dang well there always cat with only vapor base attacks.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2010, 03:05:33 pm »

I wrote the book on breath attacks (the help page).
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2010, 03:15:14 pm »

Alright, I just thought of something...

I was reading about the supposed effect that gnomeblight has on, well, gnomes.  Now I'm curious as to what would happen should you produce a number of gnomeblight flasks, come across them in adventure mode, and then throw the liquid at gnomes you encounter during your travels.

Would it recognize the gnomeblight as an actual poison, and not just a thrown item?  Would the gnomes possibly get covered in a spatter of the stuff should it connect with them?

I'm going to try testing this.  I'll need to tweak gnomeblight so that it has an immediate and easy-to-see effect that I can clearly see if it works when I smack'em with the stuff...  I'll also see if I can get them to walk over a puddle of it, and observe the effects of that.

EDIT:  Oh yeah, and is it possible to assign syndromes to minerals and/or metals?  If so, you could potentially make a sword or some bolts out of the stuff.  Maybe even hook up some custom reactions to hack it into a reasonably immersive poisoning process.

EDIT2:  SUCCESS!  Well, alright, so it's only partial...  But still!

Wolfbane, an extract of plump helmets that mimics the necrosis of gnomeblight (plus some added giant cave spider-style paralysis), was shown to produce very interesting results in test group A (a bunch of wolves).

Currently, it seems to be that just throwing the stuff at them will cause very little damage.  They'll get thwacked by the spinning liquid, and then keep going without so much as a smear of the stuff on them.

HOWEVER, if you were to, say, throw a bit of wolfbane at a tree so that it created a small puddle, and then tricked a wolf into walking over it, they would track through the wolfbane and get some on their paws.

Here's Test Subject A, a male wolf who was the first to be exposed to the effects of dropped wolfbane:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

(Note that Test Subject A was in fact hit and damaged by thrown wolfbane, causing yellow damage to his rear leg and lower body.  However, he showed no adverse side effects until trudging through a puddle.  He has since been stepped on while lying in a puddle, causing more of his body to be exposed)

He is also partially paralyzed due to the venom.  Several other wolves are exhibiting paralysis, and also organ necrosis (even though nothing is showing up on the wounds screen).  I will wait around for a while longer, to see if they eventually die from having their bodies rot from the inside out...

Also, it is as yet unknown whether a blade can be efficiently dipped into the substance, and whether or not that blade will cause necrosis and paralysis from a non-fatal wound.  More testing to commence...

UDPATE:  Every wolf in Test Group A has been infected with wolfbane.  The necrosis has spread to just about every part of the body, causing organ, bone and muscle tissue death.  However, it's moving so damned slow...  I haven't seen any organ failure yet, however all the wolves are now exhibiting yellow-colored wounds all across the wounds list (except for the throat, which remains at brown).

Possible fort-mode applications of similar toxins:  Simply set up a one-tile passageway with holes in the ceiling.  When an invasion force comes, order your dwarves to dump the fluid into the hallway, creating a number of puddles.  When the invasion force trudges through the corridor, the syndromes of your choice will be applied.

But, ah, I wouldn't recommend necrosis...  It works so damned SLOW!

Kulantan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2010, 05:40:34 pm »

Most excellent Kagus. I'll add it to the list. Tis a shame that it only works in adventure mode.

Edit:

Could we have some clarification on the properties of Wolfbane? Basically what SEV does it have?

Also I'm intrigued by the mention of dumping the toxins to release them in fort mode. I thought that dumped barrels' contents stayed inside (hence why I thought that a modified booze bomb might be required).
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 05:52:07 pm by Kulantan »

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2010, 05:51:01 pm »

Clarification:  I've just updated my post with a potential fort-mode application of this effect.  Also, I've just been throwing the liquids themselves at people, not the actual flasks.  I'll give that a try too, but I doubt it will have much of an effect.

Once these wolves die (or I get bored) and I've tested the flask-throwing (and, possibly, poisoned weapon use), I'll move on to possibilities regarding darts made out of a naturally poisonous material.  Updates to follow.

EDIT:  Right, tossing flasks does nothing.  The flasks remain intact, and the toxin remains inside.  However, the wolf I threw it is remarkably unhappy with me.

And yes, dumped barrels will indeed retain their contents.  However, if you select the contents themselves and mark them for dumping, it should work just great.

And as for wolfbane:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It's just copied over from the effects that gnomeblight has on gnomes, plus the paralysis effect from giant cave spider venom.  I chose wolves because they're generally rather easy to find...

Lofn

• Bay Watcher
  • There was a hole.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2010, 05:58:28 pm »

I'm actually pretty certain that the barrel contents is an item, not a flow, and hence won't contaminate anything.
Also known as Zuhayr.

Kulantan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2010, 06:00:23 pm »

And yes, dumped barrels will indeed retain their contents.  However, if you select the contents themselves and mark them for dumping, it should work just great.
I just tried to dump the booze from a barrel in fort mode. I couldn't even select the booze (rather than the barrel). Any futher advice on the exact control mechanics of this?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2010, 06:03:53 pm »

I'm actually pretty certain that the barrel contents is an item, not a flow, and hence won't contaminate anything.
I'm fairly certain that that's been changed in this version.  After all, I've been tossing wolfbane "items" at trees, which then turn into a little pool of wolfbane.  Barrels should work the same way.

The only thing you might run into are potential "handling" problems, like the dwarf taking the liquid out of the barrel in order to dump it, and then having the it slip through his fingers.  But then it just requires a slight tweak of the corridor layout and you're fine.

Another theoretical possibility is to have something that enters an inert, frozen state in cool temperatures, but when placed in a heated room (magma flowing underneath) will evaporate into a deadly cloud.  If someone else could test this, that'd be grand.

Pre-post edit:  Alright, it used to work for dumping stuff inside barrels...  Just select the barrel, and press select one more time so that you're viewing the contents.  The "dump" marker should be in there.  I can check it out later, shouldn't take too long.

EDIT:  Curious...  It seems that I can actually pick up and hold an item of wolfbane in my hand.  I'll need to do some testing in regards to this..

As for the wolves, they can ruddy well piss off.  I'm not waiting around for them to rot to death if they're going to insist taking so damned long about it.

UPDATE:  Right, there doesn't appear to be any simple way of getting a weapon coated with this stuff.  Also, smashing someone with the stuff directly (held in hand) doesn't do anything either.  I will now use one of the less-efficient method of coating a "weapon", so I can see if that has any effect.  I doubt it will do anything, however...

Also of note:  You can fill your waterskin (or backpack) with venom from a suitable pool.  This of course means that you can drop one unit of wolfbane, and then fill the skin up with three units from the resulting puddle.

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2010, 06:24:58 pm »

Out of curiousity being so very intrigued by this chemical warfare, do you know if it's possible to create say a statue that consistantly emits a poisonous vapor/gas? Then say place said statues in a hall way for defense? and make dwarfs immune...
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2010, 06:28:22 pm »

It's possible to make a toxin that dwarves are immune to, but I don't know if it's possible to get a stone to exude/secrete any sort of vapor or gas without being consumed in the process.  There are several people working on whether not secretion works for animals, let alone inanimate objects.

Also, stupid rain cleaned my weapon off.  Stupid sodding rain...

Lofn

• Bay Watcher
  • There was a hole.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2010, 06:30:06 pm »

Secretion works perfectly fine for creatures.  However, it's based on bodyparts and tissue layers and hence can't be applied to a material like stone or metal.  Sorry. :/
Also known as Zuhayr.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6