Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11

Author Topic: Like somebody, not QUITE sure it's socially acceptable  (Read 12123 times)

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
Re: Like somebody, not QUITE sure it's socially acceptable
« Reply #120 on: April 19, 2010, 10:01:10 pm »

And for that matter, the reason I believe he is trolling is as follows: He came into a thread, saw that the subject matter was done with, and decided to spark a debate over a relatively minor part of my life that ultimately was dealt with in its own way, and had no major impact on the outcome of this little tale.

I posted here before, though. :(

Why do you call this person King Ratbastard? Keeping in mind that Ivan the Terrible was called Ivan the Terrible because of his strict, authoritarian leadership-style and his habit of beating his family members to death.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Renault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: April 19, 2010, 11:49:49 pm »

And for that matter, the reason I believe he is trolling is as follows: He came into a thread, saw that the subject matter was done with, and decided to spark a debate over a relatively minor part of my life that ultimately was dealt with in its own way, and had no major impact on the outcome of this little tale.

I posted here before, though. :(

Why do you call this person King Ratbastard? Keeping in mind that Ivan the Terrible was called Ivan the Terrible because of his strict, authoritarian leadership-style and his habit of beating his family members to death.

Just a clarificiation--being a history geek, this is the sort of thing I am compelled to do--Ivan IV wasn't called Terrible as a pejorative. It was actually meant as a compliment; a more accurate translation would be Ivan the Fearsome or Ivan the Awesome. Terrible didn't have the same negative connotations. In fact, even the murder of his son was less than the savage act its often portrayed as and more an accident caused during a scuffle.
YES THIS IS RELEVANT TO THE THREAD

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: April 20, 2010, 12:11:41 am »

I honestly have to go with Grakelin here.  On the immaturity-and-such, if a guy is so bad you make up nicknames for him and wait for him to not be around to ask a girl out, John, you are the demons. 

Even if he somehow ruins every relationship you're in, that's not a sign to call him names and avoid him.  It's a sign you should kick his ass.
Shoes...

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: April 20, 2010, 02:31:11 pm »

I'll try to address everyone here, I'm hoping I can wrap this up.

@ Grakelin: I call him King Ratbastard because he is a quite literally soulless man. I have tried to explain this again and again. Also because I don't want to use his real name, so I figured I should use a false name that described him well. I will provide an example because an explanation does not seem to be enough.

My grandfather passed away a few months ago, and in his will he passed his sword on to me. I mentioned this in class, and King Ratbastard's first comment was that I should take up my grandfather's sword and fight crime. And at the end of each fight, raise it up to the sky and shout "Smell ya later, gramps!" That might have been funny if my grandfather had not died the week before.

Then, last Sunday, a call came in that my uncle died. Two family members in such a short timeframe is devastating, and I mentioned it for the class' daily prayers (Christian school, in case anyone has forgotten). The first thing out of Ratbastard's mouth? "Does he have a sword to give you, too? Maybe you can dual-wield their swords!"

This is a short explanation as to why I hate him. He has no respect for the feelings of others, and as I stated before, he has openly declared to my face that his ultimate goal is to make my life worse. Also, as to how this ties in to him fucking up relationships? The person in particular (NOT the one from this thread, someone else entirely) that I was thinking of asking out knew King Ratbastard, and he discovered that I liked her. He promised that the next school day he would tell her and twist me into looking like a dork, so that she'd never speak to me again. I told her over the phone, which was embarrassing enough, but what was worse is that come Monday, he was not aware of what had been said, and tried to tell her. He had no qualms with potentially making me the mockery of the class.

@ Renault: I suspected that might somehow play into this. I only used Ivan because there aren't many rulers with suitable titles for the example I tried to make.

@ Cthulhu: Consider my relationship with King Ratbastard as two dogs, vying for the "alpha" position. Except instead of using intimidation, then going to fighting, we did the reverse. We have fought on a few occasions; the school no longer tolerates that and threatens expulsion if we fight again. Therefore, we have resorted to mental combat. Simply put it is no longer an option.

LUCKILY, the girl who is the subject of this thread hates Ratbastard as much as I do, and at this point nothing he could say would matter in that subject. So I count this as a victory in my never ending battle to destroy the evil forces of the Decepticons my foe's influence within the class.
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: April 20, 2010, 02:41:20 pm »

Honestly, if it weren't for the fact that he did it right after your family members died, I'd have to say that kid's pretty awesome.  The disrespect thing ruins it though.
Shoes...

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: April 20, 2010, 02:43:08 pm »

I'll admit he is funny. But he is still King Ratbastard.
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: April 20, 2010, 02:59:33 pm »

Just a clarificiation--being a history geek, this is the sort of thing I am compelled to do--Ivan IV wasn't called Terrible as a pejorative. It was actually meant as a compliment; a more accurate translation would be Ivan the Fearsome or Ivan the Awesome. Terrible didn't have the same negative connotations. In fact, even the murder of his son was less than the savage act its often portrayed as and more an accident caused during a scuffle.

* Ivan the Bad Ass Mother Fucker

Anyway, if you have some beefy older friends, have THEM pound the kid so you don't get in trouble for it
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: April 20, 2010, 06:24:55 pm »

Yeah, if he had said that in good jest, months after your grandpa's death (Sorry about that, my Great-uncle died about six months ago), it would have been funny.

But no-one normal goes out to ruin another's life, except with a reason. Unless you have asked him and he hasn't given a reason, besides "I want to", that's wrong.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: April 20, 2010, 08:27:22 pm »

Also, I feel like if he regularly does things in public like mock your dead relatives, the school officials might be inclined to leniency if you were to beat his ass in the heat of the moment. I.e., right after he does something, NOT you planning something ahead of time. If you're just reacting furiously to him doing something out of hand I bet people would take your side

Of course I got picked on my freshman year of high school and I was too little (I was fuckin 5'2" until I grew 7 inches later in the year!) to hand out any ass beatings so I'm probably trying to re-live it vicariously through you
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: April 20, 2010, 10:18:50 pm »

He doesn't seem that soulless. You're just letting him get to you. By living in constant fear of him, you're playing right into his hands. He's probably not even jealous. You're just an easy target, since he just has to say "I'ma make your life bad now" and it happens.

The best thing to do is take your sword and wait at the crossroads for other pirates to arrive. Practice against them, and make sure you use their insults on other pirates so you can figure out the correct responses.

Also, just ignore the kid. If you're talking to a woman and he shows up, ignore him until he lumbers up to talk to you, and then (without an ounce of petulance in your voice, if you can manage) tell him to get lost. Don't even threaten him with violence (you'll either be sending out empty threats or making the girl uncomfortable. Likely both!). Just tell him to go away, and if he sticks around, just leave. Take the girl with you, if you can. If she doesn't go the first time you ask, just leave her. There's nothing you can do.

If he's just going up to you and saying stupid things, and you're visibly unfazed by it, that actually makes you sexy.
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Kebooo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: April 20, 2010, 11:25:48 pm »

It's bizarre to read someone telling a sophomore in high school to stop trying to sound eloquent all because they gave an allegedly immature nickname to their rival.  First of all, you either sound eloquent to someone or you don't, whether you try or not.  Suppose this guy was a thug drug dealer.  Who on earth would ever suggest against trying to sound eloquent?  Am I missing something here?  Why would anyone advocate against an attempt to improve their language and communication skills, whether the attempt succeeds or fails?  Now suppose that post was a poor attempt at trying to give CJ advice, the attempt's failure is not only self-evident but comes across as blatant attention-grabbing.  I'm hard pressed to decide the most immature post in the topic, but if forced, I'd have no choice but to crown that one in particular.  I call it, King ImmaturePost.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: April 21, 2010, 12:03:49 am »

Welcome to two pages ago.

Maybe I miscommunicated. I was not telling him to use poor language. I was advising against flowering it while simultaneously using terms like 'King Ratbastard'.

Kebooo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: April 21, 2010, 12:18:48 am »

Thanks for the welcome, is that too the mature response to someone's opposing opinion?  Or is criticism not as enjoyable when you're on the receiving end?  You can certainly have juvenile elements with eloquent language and have it remain perfectly normal and acceptable.  Should he have typed like a 13 year old from AOL just because he has a nickname for the guy?  I don't get any sense he was intentionally flowering language and "slipping up" with a term like King RatBastard.  "Immature" and "mature" language, or notions of what they are, don't have to be exclusive. 

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: April 21, 2010, 12:36:18 am »

You seem to be getting very upset. Maybe you should take a moment to reread everything that has occurred in this thread again.

Also, I did not say he slipped up, so please do not surround the term by quotation marks. It's just a request, of course, I believe in free speech. Don't get angry and accuse me of trying to tell you what to do.

Have you read the posts in the past two pages? You may have missed my point when I said "welcome to two pages ago". This discussion has gone through a short and interesting arc. The climax has already been reached. We're in the resolution stage now. Please refrain from regressing us back to the climax.

Kebooo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: April 21, 2010, 12:52:03 am »

You seem to be getting very upset. Maybe you should take a moment to reread everything that has occurred in this thread again.

Also, I did not say he slipped up, so please do not surround the term by quotation marks. It's just a request, of course, I believe in free speech. Don't get angry and accuse me of trying to tell you what to do.

Have you read the posts in the past two pages? You may have missed my point when I said "welcome to two pages ago". This discussion has gone through a short and interesting arc. The climax has already been reached. We're in the resolution stage now. Please refrain from regressing us back to the climax.

I'm actually (and quite obviously, to any careful reader) not upset at all, nor is there any indication in the way I responded to you that I am upset in any way, shape or form.  This happens to be the way I criticize your point, you don't have to like it.  The quotes weren't quoting you, I was merely ascribing the term I felt best fit the context without stating it matter-of-factly.  Where have I expressed any anger?  Or do you just casually, and dishonestly I might add, misrepresent another person's argument?

There isn't any need to become so defensive when presented with criticism, it shows a great deal of hypocrisy, which is indeed what I anticipated.  For example, you call me angry and "very upset", without rational cause or reason to do so.  You call me these things after I have criticized you.  You are doing exactly what you recommended CJ not to do - acting immaturely to an opposing force.  After all, I am genuinely not upset in any way, as I don't know either of you, nor do I personally feel under fire.  It's a pretty common thing for a person getting overly defensive to call the other side angry and upset (implying they are acting out of emotion) as a means to discredit their position without using persuasive logic.  It's a little sad I have to explain this to the guy that was just patronizing a high school sophomore for being immature, but I guess I'm really left with no choice.

I hadn't read this topic before, am I somehow excluded from commenting on a point that wasn't disputed in the fashion I felt it should have been?  I felt, from my perspective, such an ignorant, and ironically, immature statement shouldn't go uncontested. 
« Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 12:56:37 am by Kebooo »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11