Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11

Author Topic: Like somebody, not QUITE sure it's socially acceptable  (Read 12165 times)

psyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Like somebody, not QUITE sure it's socially acceptable
« Reply #60 on: April 11, 2010, 06:29:23 am »

I missed this thread earlier... but I can't speak about Redding. I've only been there a few times. I was raised in Sacramento. It was a public school, in Fair Oaks -- not a trashy/'ghetto' school in Carmichael or South Sac. I could lightly compare it to Folsom schools -- where I attended for a time -- one of the most upper-class areas in all of Sacramento or central CA. I didn't know many guys who hadn't had sex or other type of intercourse by the 10th grade, although there were some. OTOH, most of the people I knew played football, did wrestling, were dropout types, or just inexplicably 'popular'. I wasn't exactly the sort in band-camp. In fact, my life was all sorts of screwed up, and I'm fortunate to have sorted it out (for the most part).  ;D

From what I know of EU countries, it isn't unique. And, looking back 4 decades, to several centuries ago in the U.S., it isn't surprising. IIRC consent laws were around 10-12 ~150 years ago.

/last time I ever talk about myself. I frown upon you for the asking!

Renault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 11, 2010, 06:02:41 pm »

Yeah, but the laws of 150 years ago really shouldnt matter much to us today. I mean, hell, they had slaves 150 years ago here in the US; that doesnt mean today I should go waltz over to Oakland with a net.
I dont know, I guess I just think thats really early to be messing around like that. Perhaps its just me, though.

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 11, 2010, 06:52:51 pm »

Well, tomorrow school starts up. Time to roll the metaphorical dice, I suppose. Still worried that this will backfire in a horrifying way, but I figure nothing could be said that either would make me be seen as any worse, or could not be dispelled with a few funny lines.
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 11, 2010, 11:30:50 pm »

Ten bucks says he doesn't go through with it.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Bandages

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 11, 2010, 11:38:44 pm »

last year, one of my classmates (a then junior) asked out an 8th grade guy.

they've been happily dating for over a year now.

Everyone finds it pretty disgusting. Even her close friends. Even after all this time.

2 years ain't that bad, but the cross-school thing is pretty taboo.

Are there no attractive girls at all in your school?

Nolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 12, 2010, 04:37:36 am »

60% or so of my (middle!)-school is sexually active, though that's a conservative estimate.
I mean, I'm extrapolating, from the people I know in my class, to what I see in the hallways, so it's probably accurate.
(In?)coincidentally, I could ask almost any one of my classmates for a gram of marijuana and they'd be more than happy to sell it to me.

I doubt anyone in my school would have an issue with a two-year age difference between couples. 9th grade students regularly go out with 7th graders here.

It depends on where you live more than anything, but nothing terrible can happen from 'taking the plunge', so to speak. Social ostracization is unlikely.

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 12, 2010, 05:30:09 am »

I must ask, why are kids in middle school selling a gram at a time (actually why are they selling it at all)? That sounds stupidly risky, with hardly any income. I mean it's like selling an ounce of whiskey or like, one cigarette at a time. You'd get caught before you made any hint of a profit. There must be some coolness factor to it or something.

Anyway, I don't promote that in any way whatsoever. When I was in middle school I sold candy bars by myself and made about $3000 a year, and it made about $35-50 an hour. If I were still young and cute (well, if I were younger anyway), I'd still be selling them, it's as much money as roofing and construction!
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

Nolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 12, 2010, 06:03:45 am »

The teachers don't care at all. I'm sure if I said, "Hey, John has 30 grams of marijuana on him and is selling it to everyone outside during lunch time!" they might do something, but as it stands, nothing will be done.
Even if they're caught, they'll get at most a 2-day suspension.

Though it's important to note that most students aren't actively selling marijuana, but if I asked they could provide.

I don't see an issue with what they're doing, really. I don't agree with it, nor do I think it's 'right', but for all I care they can grow up as druggies.
Similarly: people who copy my homework/tests. I used to care about that, but I realized it's more fun to watch them glide through the entire year with As, only to have them find that by third term they have no understanding of the basic concepts they'd need to pass on to the next grade.

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 12, 2010, 07:23:27 am »

Ten bucks says he doesn't go through with it.

Thirty
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 12, 2010, 09:47:17 am »

Actually, marijuana and teen sex have nothing to do with each other, and asserting that they're in the same decadent boat won't allow you a clear enough picture to make decisions on either.
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 12, 2010, 10:08:10 am »

Hmm, marijuana certainly wouldn't up my libido, I simply become keenly aware of my emperical senses. And it makes me retarded :P
Actually it makes me especially aware of my throat and nasal passages, like saliva becomes extremely sensible. I should try eating a bunch of Altoids or other strong mints and see what happens :P
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 12, 2010, 10:15:34 am »

Your sensible saliva would properly advise you against it.

psyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 12, 2010, 10:36:20 am »

Yeah, but the laws of 150 years ago really shouldnt matter much to us today. I mean, hell, they had slaves 150 years ago here in the US; that doesnt mean today I should go waltz over to Oakland with a net.
I dont know, I guess I just think thats really early to be messing around like that. Perhaps its just me, though.
I said it was variable. I don't recall precisely when the law changed. It wasn't very different (13-14, not 10-12) in the '70s or '80s either; ask your parents. And you're still pretending America is alone in the world. And if I wasn't clear before, I was speaking of public schools, not private schools or iron-fist ruled God-fearing public schools in states that still prohibit abortion. Naturally, the latter will maintain a higher than average median virginity age.

Actually, marijuana and teen sex have nothing to do with each other, and asserting that they're in the same decadent boat won't allow you a clear enough picture to make decisions on either.
Yes it does, indirectly, and not as significantly as some claim. Schools of this sort (high drug activity) are usually the trashier ones, where it's common to see 12 to 14 year-old girl pregnancies. My schools weren't like this, and sex was still regular, but out of the 2200 students, there were maybe 5 pregnancies in 2 years, compared to the 30 per year in schools the next suburb over. I'll point out that correlation is not causation, and these schools are trash because of poor funding and administration and are located in the less well-off city zones -- not because of drug activity or racial body.

//edit: p.s., if you decide to visit CA, I beseech all of you to avoid Sacramento by any available means. ;D
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 10:40:50 am by psyn »

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 12, 2010, 02:23:04 pm »

last year, one of my classmates (a then junior) asked out an 8th grade guy.

they've been happily dating for over a year now.

Everyone finds it pretty disgusting. Even her close friends. Even after all this time.

2 years ain't that bad, but the cross-school thing is pretty taboo.

Are there no attractive girls at all in your school?

Well, here's the thing. She is in my school. It's a private school, and covers all grades. As for your question, yes, but it's a small class; there are three. One is taken, one is a slut, and the other is going through a breakup and I'd feel like king of the assholes if I took advantage of that. I'm not settling, though, don't get me wrong.

As for today, we were given a surprise visit by King Ratbastard, and what's worse he managed to find out what I'm planning to do. He just doesn't know who, though he's trying to find out. I was trying to sort of build up to it over the week at this point, but now it appears that I either must ask tomorrow, or wait and let him tell her. Which will suck.
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.

Bandages

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 12, 2010, 02:25:02 pm »

As for today, we were given a surprise visit by King Ratbastard.

That's one hell of a surname. Is it scottish?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11