Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11

Author Topic: Like somebody, not QUITE sure it's socially acceptable  (Read 12129 times)

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
Like somebody, not QUITE sure it's socially acceptable
« on: April 05, 2010, 10:54:53 am »

So yeah, I go to a private school and I really like somebody on my bus, and I'm thinking about asking her out. I'd have done it already, but something at the back of my head has been nagging at me: Is the age difference going to make this a bad idea?

Now, it's not extremely large, only about 2 years. However, the placement may make it a bit worse. That is, she is in 8th grade and I am a Sophomore.

Normally I PROBABLY wouldn't care, but as I said I go to a private school and they're very much Right-wing Christians. They don't permit anything resembling a relationship in the school, so I figure just avoid that, but if they were to find out I were even seeing her, would that cause some repercussions?
« Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 07:29:56 pm by CJ1145 »
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Re: Like somebody, not QUITE sure it's socially acceptable
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2010, 11:02:08 am »

Maybe I'm old-fashioned, but that seems like a pretty big age gap, at least for school.  Once you're both in your 20s it's not a big deal, but she's not even in high school yet.
Shoes...

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2010, 11:04:47 am »

See now, that's what has been bothering me. I guess the reason I'm making a big deal of it is that she's leaving at the end of this year. We live in the same town, but I kind of subconsciously feel like I need to make an impression now.
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.

thobal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2010, 03:22:51 pm »

Dont just "ask her out on a date." You must try and infiltrate her social circle. Biggest mistake I ever made trying to date was just asking people out I barely knew.
Signature goes here.

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2010, 03:32:02 pm »

It's always creepy dating somebody in a different kind of school than you

well I guess like a senior in high school and a freshman in college wouldn't be that creepy but still
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2010, 03:35:16 pm »

Well, I wouldn't know about dating between schools.  But to me two years difference is nothing.  I guess it depends on how old you are; I assume the high school you're talking about, in which case no problem.

I would think a college freshman dating someone in high school is a little weird, but only if they met at that stage.  If you met in grade school and then one of you graduates, that's perfectly fine to me.  Two of my friends were still seeing girls they knew in school when they went to college.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2010, 04:15:52 pm »

Yes, I do mean High School Sophomore. If I meant college that little nagging at the back of my head would be a full-blown Pedo-Alarm. That and there'd probably be bears in the vicinity.

Quote from: thobal
Dont just "ask her out on a date." You must try and infiltrate her social circle. Biggest mistake I ever made trying to date was just asking people out I barely knew.

Well, I don't barely know her. We talk a lot on the bus, and have since I came to that school last year. So I've known her for... I don't get a chance to talk to her much IN school, so let's mathematize it and round to 1 year total.

And her friends DO know me. I'm very well known at my school for... well, a lot of things, but mostly for enduring a year-long bout of mental torture that has left me a much more mellow, if not still insane person. I have literally dozens of nicknames, all interchangable, the most embarrassing of which is The Legend, a name even the freaking kindergarteners upstairs call me by.

I kind of went on a self-absorbed tangent there, but I am known by her friends.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2010, 04:19:23 pm »

I say, tell this to her, see what she thinks about it. Perhaps phrase it so that it's not clear you're talking about her at first.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2010, 07:49:37 pm »

a year-long bout of mental torture that has left me a much more mellow, if not still insane person. I have literally dozens of nicknames, all interchangable, the most embarrassing of which is The Legend, a name even the freaking kindergarteners upstairs call me by.
What was this mental torture?

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2010, 07:57:22 pm »

I say, tell this to her, see what she thinks about it. Perhaps phrase it so that it's not clear you're talking about her at first.

"Now, I'm not asking about going out with you for myself, no, just for a friend of mine."
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2010, 08:14:52 pm »

Yes, I do mean High School Sophomore. If I meant college that little nagging at the back of my head would be a full-blown Pedo-Alarm. That and there'd probably be bears in the vicinity.

Quote from: thobal

Well, I don't barely know her. We talk a lot on the bus, and have since I came to that school last year. So I've known her for... I don't get a chance to talk to her much IN school, so let's mathematize it and round to 1 year total.

And her friends DO know me. I'm very well known at my school for... well, a lot of things, but mostly for enduring a year-long bout of mental torture that has left me a much more mellow, if not still insane person. I have literally dozens of nicknames, all interchangable, the most embarrassing of which is The Legend, a name even the freaking kindergarteners upstairs call me by.

I kind of went on a self-absorbed tangent there, but I am known by her friends.

None of that sounds like it bodes well for getting a girl to go out with you.

Then again, she's in 8th grade
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2010, 08:20:50 pm »

I wish I had a nickname like "The Legend".

Funnily enough, I had a similar problem, except that it was somewhat negated.

I too liked a girl who is in 8th grade at the moment, and I am a high school sophomore. Odd when I read back on your OP. Anyways, on to my story. I liked her a lot, and because I was only 14 at the time, it wasn't as weird because it was only a year's difference age-wise. Needless to say, my incredible lack of romantic skill whatsoever horribly ruined whatever chance I had with going out with her. That, and the fact that the year I met her was the year I was moving away

My advice to you is to go for it. The biggest rule I have learned from moving constantly is that if you don't go for something, you'll always regret not doing it, the thought nagging in the back of your mind, a "what if" situation.

Of course, if you are extremely patient, might as well just get to know her better until the end of the year, then ask her out during the summer. I've known of many Junior/Freshman relationships, and it would just be less awkward socially. Personally, I couldn't wait if I had built up the courage to ask her out, as while not being that shy of a person, I do tend to be shy around girls I like.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2010, 08:30:09 pm »

I'd say yes, pursue the relationship, two years difference isn't bad at all, even at that age.

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2010, 08:54:10 pm »

a year-long bout of mental torture that has left me a much more mellow, if not still insane person. I have literally dozens of nicknames, all interchangable, the most embarrassing of which is The Legend, a name even the freaking kindergarteners upstairs call me by.
What was this mental torture?

Simply put, you know those REALLY overused meme's, like the SPARTA or OVER 9000! kind? They turned my NAME into one of those. It was very taxing, but then the teachers got in on it and... wow. It just got a bit out of hand. It's quieted down this year, so I'm kind of hoping it won't get too out of hand.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2010, 10:08:04 pm »

Any particular reason that you became a localized meme? Or was it one of those, "Hey, this is random! Let's YELL!" memes?

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11