Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Clothing Simplification  (Read 892 times)

Vel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Clothing Simplification
« on: April 05, 2010, 10:13:21 am »

I know this would commit the cardinal sin of making an aspect of the game less complicated, but I find myself thinking that it would be a great idea to condense all civilian clothes into a single item (like 'pig tail clothing' or something) that represents and covers all parts of the body that the current system of each dwarf wearing like 20 items of clutter. It'd also probably alleviate some of the problem with 5000 dwarves all rushing out to every battleground to their deaths when a soldier or errant peasant falls and drops a million clutter items -- you'd only have 1 or 2 dwarves rushing out since there would only be 1 or 2 items that fall to the ground. It'd also alleviate the clutter problems with goblins coming in wearing 8234802432 pieces of clutter, without removing their armor entirely.

While on the subject, it might also be a good idea to condense armor into a lesser amount of pieces? Like combining boots with greaves/leggings, and gloves with mail/breastplates -- that way you only have 3 pieces of armor (legs/torso/head) instead of like 8.

What do you guys think?

Nogford

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Clothing Simplification
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2010, 11:10:57 am »

I agree that keeping track of it all is a major pain, but that is far too simple. A lot of people like having a lot to customize and fiddle with. I personally tend to tweak the raws to something like this:

*Bodywear*
Coat
Shirt
Cloak
Toga
Tunic
Dress
Robe

*Legwear*
Trousers
Loincloth
Skirt

*Headwear*
Cap
Hood
Turban

*Footwear*
Glove
Boot
Sandal
Sock

Gets rid of a few items but the basics are all there.

One thing that I do thinks needs changing is the sock, glove and shoe system. Instead of having singular socks, the item should be "Pair of socks" to cut down on clutter.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 11:13:59 am by Nogford »

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2010, 01:57:25 pm »

Teaching dwarves that they can carry more than one sock at a time would solve many, if not all problems. Let's wait a bit for improved hauling (unthreatened at #1 in the eternal list) before hollowing out features.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

Nogford

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2010, 05:56:32 pm »

Teaching dwarves that they can carry more than one sock at a time would solve many, if not all problems. Let's wait a bit for improved hauling (unthreatened at #1 in the eternal list) before hollowing out features.

I don't really see individual socks as being a feature. What benefit is there over defining them as a pair? I doubt that anyone gets enjoyment over their Dwarves having odd socks after the washing is done.

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2010, 06:16:13 pm »

Clothing that comes in torn, coloured, mismatched, etc. forms is a feature. It's solvable; for example, traders already sell their limbwear in pairs.

Nogford

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2010, 06:19:17 pm »

I never debated torn or colored clothing being a feature. I don't think I've ever seen anyone suggest that odd socks has added to their enjoyment of the game though.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2010, 06:21:31 pm »

Because then you have one-legged dwarves wearing pairs of socks. You're effectively creating ghost items.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2010, 04:39:30 am »

And now you can have jesters or absent-minded geniuses with mismatched socks!

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2010, 07:00:10 am »

Besides, there are multiple levels and styles of clothing anyway. It's not as if the game just has "pants", "shoes", "shirt", etc.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Nogford

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2010, 07:36:48 am »

Because then you have one-legged dwarves wearing pairs of socks. You're effectively creating ghost items.

I would honestly prefer that to having a fort littered with odd, torn socks

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2010, 07:53:37 am »

What do you guys think?

This is easily solved by:

being able to easily queue whole clothing set (you would queue "clothes" at tailor which with produce all necesary pieces for outfit). common request.

and by:

hauling improvements (so that dwarf hauler takes bin with him, fills it and hauls everything in one go.). very common request.

As for random clothing atricles laying around, that was mostly issue of previous version where champion military dwarves were unable to organize their own clothing.

This is, however, fixed, because military dwarves on training duty can organize their bellonings in new version, so it only really becomes issue of your room design: give your dwarves cabinets and coffers, they will organize their stuff.

If you run out of place in room, you can assign statue garden to dwarf (it does not require rent in economy) and simply set up several cabinets there, he will use it for storage.

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2010, 02:24:53 pm »

Also, individual socks mean that when the magic arc is in, there can be a spell or ritual that requires one sock as a component.
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2010, 06:53:38 am »

The new version produces limbwear in pairs, anyway. That vastly reduces the chance of odd socks.