Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Megaproject: A Literal Dwarven Heaven  (Read 3872 times)

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
Megaproject: A Literal Dwarven Heaven
« on: April 05, 2010, 08:50:30 am »

Heaven does not exist. Gods are mere stories we use to explain the unexplainable, to give us hope that one day, when we die, there will be something afterwards.

But there isn't. There can't be.

And I hate that.

I am a dwarf of reason, of science. I want to believe in the impossible, but I can't for simply that reason - it IS impossible. How can one exist outside existence?

The answer: one can't.

So I will bring it into existence.

I have gathered a following of like-minded dwarves who share my ideals. We will travel to the recently discovered southern lands, rich in minerals.

We will build a golden heaven in the sky.

---

So yeah. Exploiting the absurd amounts of gold in the new version, I'll build a staircase 20 Z-levels high, walled in with clear glass, and build a dwarven Heaven. Everything will be made of gold, silver, platinum and adamantite (except beds, which will merely be decorated, as you cannot build beds from anything but wood). My fortress wealth will skyrocket. I'll post a progress report at the end of each year so you can see how it's going.

Starting dwarves: two miners, two masons/carpenters, one stonecrafter/furnace operator, one hunter, one trader/cook.

And yes, nobles WILL be treated well. Shocking, I know, but I want EVERY dwarf to be happy. It's meant to be Heaven, after all.
くコ:彡

Scruga

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McDwarf cancels eat: Interupted by goat
    • View Profile
Re: Megaproject: A Literal Dwarven Heaven
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2010, 08:58:17 am »

You are so going to fail.

But besides that, shouldn't this be in community games and stories?

Ok, now that all negativity is out I can just say that it sounds awesome. One big tip, do some research on what rocks contain lot's of gold because it differs very much per site!
New question! If I were to remove elves [INTELLIGENT] tag in the raws, would it work?
Dwarf Fortress: Where taking a creatures intelligence is an accepted way of modding.

sizeak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2010, 09:04:53 am »

Sounds awesome, but GL as you'll need it  ;D
Runesmith - http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=59056.0 - A Dwarf Companion like tool

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2010, 09:08:59 am »

The dwarven warship was in this forum. And I'll just go for the same type of rock I went for last time - obsidian and andesite.

Scruga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2010, 09:27:53 am »

The dwarven warship was in this forum. And I'll just go for the same type of rock I went for last time - obsidian and andesite.
Ah ok, I'm against Armok's Gauntlet as well  ;D
New question! If I were to remove elves [INTELLIGENT] tag in the raws, would it work?
Dwarf Fortress: Where taking a creatures intelligence is an accepted way of modding.

Lynkilen

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2010, 09:46:01 am »

Armok cancels slaughter: Interrupted by blasphemy!

Arrkhal

• Bay Watcher
  • Who modded in these flying killer attack babies???
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2010, 10:11:10 am »

And yes, nobles WILL be treated well. Shocking, I know, but I want EVERY dwarf to be happy. It's meant to be Heaven, after all.

Are you sure it wouldn't be better to have a dwarven hell, too?  Just a shaft down to the new HFS would work perfectly.
In development: Arrkhal's Material and Weapon balance
Please test and let me know what still needs fixing.  And get these freakin' babies offa me!

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2010, 11:16:23 am »

This forum is absolutely fine for megaprojects. And good luck! Are you planning on using a lot of yellow and white rock to replicate clouds? (and despite it being heaven and not hell, will there be magma?)

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2010, 11:21:38 am »

This forum is absolutely fine for megaprojects. And good luck! Are you planning on using a lot of yellow and white rock to replicate clouds? (and despite it being heaven and not hell, will there be magma?)

Being Dwarf Heaven and all, there should be rivers of the stuff.

Vieto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2010, 11:25:13 am »

Being Dwarf Heaven and all, there should be rivers of the stuff.
Rivers of magma. It's dwarven heaven after all.

darius

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2010, 11:27:29 am »

Bonus points for pumping magma up there!

Hakar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2010, 11:31:15 am »

Mount Olympus here I come!
A dwarf's unfailing capacity to believe what he prefers to be true rather than what the evidence shows to be likely and possible has always astounded me. We long for a caring Fortress which will save us from our childish mistakes, and in the face of mountains of evidence to the contrary we will pin all our hopes on the slimmest of doubts. Gold has not been proven not to exist, therefore it must exist.
Philosopher Prokhor Zakharov,
"For I Have Tasted The Plump Helmet"

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2010, 11:59:23 am »

Uh...oookay, apparently one bar of potash produces 24 bars of pearlash. That's handy, I suppose. And no, no clouds, and I have no bloody idea how I'd get magma 20 z-levels into the sky, much less make rivers of the stuff.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2010, 01:07:23 pm »

Uh...oookay, apparently one bar of potash produces 24 bars of pearlash. That's handy, I suppose. And no, no clouds, and I have no bloody idea how I'd get magma 20 z-levels into the sky, much less make rivers of the stuff.
Perpetual motion machines running on cat blood that power a huge pump system all the way from z-level 40 to 230.
...It's dwarven heaven, after all.

Scruga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2010, 01:08:46 pm »

Armok cancels slaughter: Interrupted by blasphemy!
I slaughtered a mountain goat to make up for this insult. I was only against it's location, stories and community games is a better place for it!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4