Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: [0.31.01] Military won't train  (Read 9660 times)

Orborde

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
[0.31.01] Military won't train
« on: April 05, 2010, 04:10:41 am »

I have a squad with 5 members. Only three of them ever train, however; the other two just loaf. I have tried mucking around with the schedule screen, including setting the "train" orders to "10 dwarves minimum", but that just (predictably) makes the three dwarves that actually bother to train do so to the brink of starvation and tantrum.

Observe the region2 game in this archive: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=V2IXB3IZ

The problematic dwarves are positions 4 and 5 in the squad.

ByDurinsBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [0.31.01] Military won't train
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2010, 04:49:26 am »

I had the same problem with a 2-person squad. Position 1 was for the militia commander and he never ever came to train, only the recruit that I added to position 2 came to the barracks (job description being something about solo practice). My experimentation with various settings eventually made the training dwarf unhappy, at which point I set the squad to idle and discovered another oddity: even standing down the squad members (this time even the militia commander) loafed around the barracks instead of the meeting zone (not a burrows issue, squad members had none set) and continued to do so even after I turned the squad's "train here" setting off in the barracks. Only detaching the unhappy dwarf from the squad entirely made him rush for food and then the meeting zone. The militia commander continued idling in the barracks as long as I had time to observe.

UberNube

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2010, 07:28:49 am »

I had a similar problem with a squad of six after remaking the squad. One of them never stopped training except to eat/drink/sleep, while none of the others ever trained. I think it had to do with the bug where none of them train, combined with a bug causing some of them to get stuck training before the "no training" bug kicks in.
This guy gets it, the problem with the child torture dungeon is that they weren't set on fire first.

Klad

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2010, 11:30:15 am »

Hey! Same here.....but not only mt markdwarves don't do anything, neither hunters work properly. I believe the whole problem lies in the crossbow problems both for hunters and soldiers

Nimrod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2010, 03:26:42 pm »

I had the same problem.

Try this: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Military/Guide

especially this part:
# Here's the thing - the game defaults to a REALLY stupid option that most people are probably going to miss - notice on the bottom, in blue, how it says "Train, 10 minimum"? What that means is that if you have less 10 dwarves in that squad set to training (Which will always be the case since squads max out at 10), it will FORCE members of the squad to train, even when they're exhausted or starving. If you don't change this, your dwarves will be EXTREMELY miserable after a while - they might even starve to death while training - I'm not sure. Either way, hit e to edit the order, and use the /*-+ buttons to set the minimum to something like 1 or 2 less than the number of dwarves you have in your squad.

AND:
hunters and marksdwarves NEED quivers AND assigned ammo. without them - no shooting

cheers
---=== Inveniam Viam Aut Faciam ===---

Foxbyte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2010, 06:35:10 am »

AND:
hunters and marksdwarves NEED quivers AND assigned ammo. without them - no shooting

cheers

I've got about two dozen quivers lying around but my hunters won't pick up any of the bolts that I assigned to them. Nor will they pick up crossbows.
There is an engraving of three dwarves in a dining room. The third dwarf is a soaper.

sethwick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2010, 07:28:45 am »

AND:

cheers

I've got about two dozen quivers lying around but my hunters won't pick up any of the bolts that I assigned to them. Nor will they pick up crossbows.

I have the same issue with my hunter.

I had a squad of 3 dwarfs which expanded to 10 after a couple of big immigrant waves. I noticed the only three training now are the initial three that have their equipment, the others just act like civvies. I think, maybe, not having access to all the equipment is what leads some dwarfs never to train. I have no idea if this is true (need to smelt a lot of iron to get everyone armored and I've been skipping enough classes as is), but it's a possibility.

I need to check on my dwarfs, I set training to 8 minimum, hopefully the three training are not starving themselves to death.

Dekon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2010, 10:25:41 am »

Agreed to the mention of not sparring..  I'll share my experience in depth, in case it helps.

I began as any other idiot to this version - simply trying to figure out how to 'activate' a dwarf.  But no, that system was far too simple.  So now we go into a military screen and assign dwarves to military positions.  Of course, since my sprawling fortress consisted of about ten dwarves, I really only had two I wished to place into military.

At which point they did nothing.  So I fiddled with the military screen a bit - actually setting the alert of the squad (yes, the squad, not the civilians) to 'active/train'.  And yes, I designated my barracks for training/sleeping.

Given all this, my 'militia commander' happily trained inside the barracks by himself.  Presumably spinning around in a drunken mess making 'bzzt' sounds in a rendering of Dwarven Star Wars Kid.  At least that's what I imagine, but all he really did was stand in place.  Woopie.  Now he actually had some combat experience.  The peasant I dedicated to be his punching bag seemed in complete refusal to acknowledge that he had been assigned to military.  He simply ran around the fort doing normal tasks, and I imagine just gave the nearest dwarf the finger every time he was reminded he was supposed to be fighting.  F$#k him.

Over time, the fortress grew.  Annoyed, I assigned a full squad of 10 dwarves, just to see if any of them would do shit.  Consequently.. no.. they wouldn't.  However, when one of my dwarves went berserk because I could find no stone (freaking aquifer..)  I managed to screw with the squad screen long enough to send my dwarves to kill him.  Now, the 'kill' command outright bluntly didn't work.  At all.  But the move command seemed to get the job done.  They even changed graphics to soldiers.. For the first time -ever-.  Really, I don't want training soldiers to look like civilians, because then they just look like the rest of the jackasses and I can't tell a soldier jackass from a farmer jackass.  And that sucks.

But as soon as I canceled the 'kill all shit here' order, they immediately changed back into civilian graphics and started masturbating at the town square idling instead of training.  It was about that time that I remembered I set the squad minimum in schedule to 3 or 4.  I pumped up to 7, and about 4-5 dwarves actually decided to go train.

Well, that's what they decided to do.  They're just fucking stupid at it.

All but one sat around waiting for organized training.  One guy was trying to organize training.  Which never got done, presumably because they were waiting for 7 people, but only 4 dumbshits felt like showing up.

So, effectively, sparring is ludicrously broken  If they've absolutely no military skills, it seems they just completely ignore their enlisted status altogether.  They won't train, which means any fortress is just going to be made into the newest amusement park for goblin necrophiliacs.

Maybe their pets blood will make good lube.

Z1000000m

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2010, 11:27:04 am »

i have the same thing

oddly enough, when selecting members, my competent axedorf was shown as novice(bug?)

i managed to make a squad train and make them wear the steel stuff, but
only my militia commander would do the training
i tried setting minimum to 10, 1 and 2, even making them train even if inactive
nothing helps
its really dammed annoying because i cant explore the caves without at least a dozen of goblinite-cutters

ByDurinsBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2010, 12:16:50 pm »

Straying a bit off topic here but my training problems are compounded by another matter. In short, am I supposed to get highly aggressive enemy civilizations all the time? I have now rolled five forts in quick succession that have all met the same end: goblin or kobold ambush parties (6-8 members) very soon into game. They're like a clockwork: I have one year to set up my defenses or be doomed. Come spring, and elven caravan, an ambush party (or two) spawns with them and turns my fort into a bloody mess. Every time. Is this WAI or a streak of bad luck (across two generated worlds)? My sixth fort is building up and I've prioritized impassable moat defenses and a single long approach with a sacrifical ealry warning dog at the far end so I have time to raise the drawbridge. Let them have fun with the elves.

jplur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.parker-portfolio.com
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2010, 12:56:59 pm »

The new combat has a steep learning curve but IMHO there are less bugs than people report.

I've had luck getting several squads of axe/sword lords.

A few tips: Embarking with a proficient swordsdwarf / proficient teacher seems to make those training sessions a little more productive.

Sending your totally unskilled recruits to kill some wildlife will should give them the skill points(and self discipline) they need to do individual training sessions when inactive.

And the few times when scheduled training was not kicking in for my dorfs, remaking the barracks did seem to do the trick.
I ended up finding out you can speed up pregnancies by changing the mother to a cat to knock them up and changing back before labor

[NO_THOUGHT]

• Bay Watcher
  • *cricket*
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2010, 01:39:34 pm »

I appear to have a military problem as well, but it more so has to do with the kill order. My 1 person squad (that person being the militia commander) seems to be too scared of his target to land a hit (the only thing I've done is mod his speed to 1) does any one else get this?

Evidence Video: http://mkv25.net/dfma/movie-2104-scaredsquad

RedMike

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2010, 05:00:54 pm »

I had the same problem at first, but I solved it with a bit of fiddling.

First off, make sure you assign an alert for the squads. The schedule needs to be set to train during that month, and I always set the minimum to 1 below the number of members, lowering if someone gets injured and needs rest. You need to assign equipment. That means going to the uniform tab, changing the current uniform (I always modify the default "Leather Armor") to whatever you need, like for example training swords. Don't have anything there that you don't have in your fortress available for all the dwarves. Then go to the equip screen, and hit assign uniforms. Then do it for the whole squad with the uniform you modified earlier. Also, if you give them a different order from the (s)quad menu, they won't train. If the schedule for the month is blank, meaning no orders, they'll sometimes be in the barracks, doing individual training, which is very effective when you don't have a proper teacher. So if you embark with no teacher, don't set them to do organised training, it won't help that much.

From what I can tell, they refuse to train when they don't have the whole uniform.

Now the only problem I seem to be having is that they don't drop the current equipment when I change their uniform. But I suspect it's just me doing something wrong.

JimboOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2010, 10:53:18 am »

As for not getting soldiers to pick up weapons - especially after a wave of immigrants - do you have an arsenal dwarf?  The requirement appears suddenly and if you don't, your soldiers will ignore all weapons/armor until you appoint one and he approves everything.

DoctorZuber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2010, 11:05:54 am »

I think the default minimum of 10 is intentional which would basically give you the full time style military we are familiar with from 40d.

The problem is more that the behavioral adjustment to make dwarves slack off less works a little too good. So good in fact that dwarves commonly die of thirst and starvation just because they were too busy working.

This problem has been reported to apply to pretty much any long term repeatable task, huge mining or engraving tasks, long repeated masonry tasks, anything that gives a dwarf an effectively endless string of task can have them work themselves to death.

Another potential factor is pathfinding in general, it's quite possible that as the pathfinding bugs are caught and killed this whole problem will be greatly reduced if not killed entirely.
Pages: [1] 2