Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Fear of falling asleep  (Read 19660 times)

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
Re: Fear of falling asleep
« Reply #45 on: April 11, 2010, 11:06:52 pm »

Just throwing in my opinion.

Life's kind of like Dwarf Fortress. There is no win condition, and death is inevitable. The fun comes from accepting that limitation and playing anyway. People aspire to greatness because they want to essentially become Boatmurdered. They know that they will die, and they attempt to live on through their work. Think of death not as the end, but as a turning point - the point where you can no longer actively participate in making yourself known. This is the basis of human ambition; an attempt to cheat death. It's about as successful as attempts to cheat death can possibly get.

Also, if you die, why would you care what you did in life? You're dead.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Red Fortune

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALWAYS_CONFUSED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 12, 2010, 02:39:10 am »

Why does the transition into death make you so afraid? It's a natural process that's destined to happen, and afterwards, there's no regretting it or agonizing over it, doesn't the thought of transitioning to eternal sleep comfort you?
"These humans only worship one god. Can you believe it?"
"Man, if I had to decide between the god of magma and the god of rubies, I just don't think I could handle it."

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 12, 2010, 02:46:25 am »

Why does the transition into death make you so afraid? It's a natural process that's destined to happen, and afterwards, there's no regretting it or agonizing over it, doesn't the thought of transitioning to eternal sleep comfort you?
We discussed it a while ago, read over my arguments with him, and see if you can find the reason.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Red Fortune

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALWAYS_CONFUSED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 12, 2010, 02:58:19 am »

We discussed it a while ago, read over my arguments with him, and see if you can find the reason.

:( Something tells me something else is affecting the way he thinks about this, it doesn't seem to add up...
"These humans only worship one god. Can you believe it?"
"Man, if I had to decide between the god of magma and the god of rubies, I just don't think I could handle it."

Kebooo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 12, 2010, 10:17:41 am »

Because every moment of my life I care to be alive, or else I wouldn't care about dying right now.  I think everyone in this topic has successfully found ways to delude themselves about death while I have not (I wish I could).  For example, I am almost certain everyone in here would oppose someone walking in and shooting them in the head.  They'd probably say it's wrong, or they don't want it to happen.  They wouldn't just accept it.  But murder and killing are also parts of nature.  Since you are destined for death, and you can't regret or agonize over it, why care?  Wouldn't that murder comfort you?  A million years from now, it's no different than if you lived to 75 and died.  There's no reason for me to enjoy something because it's natural or inevitable.  Rape and killing are part of nature, too.  If it was inevitable for an asteroid to hit and destroy the earth, I think we'd all fear seeing it coming.

Also, why would eternal sleep comfort me?  I enjoy being awake, not asleep.  I don't want to be in eternal non-existence.  To feel comforted by the thought of eternal sleep would suggest there is some great burden to being alive and awake.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 10:22:35 am by Kebooo »

Os Q

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 12, 2010, 12:18:55 pm »

I love sleep and dreams (even nightmares, see below) and I find them to be the favorite part of my life, but maybe that shows that my life doesn't have much going on in it.

I have a copy of Donald Tyson's Necronomicon, which he wrote as basically "Abdul Al-Hazred's" guide to the dark ages middle east and the Cthulhu mythos. It's written to be blasphemous, so there's bits like "There's no purpose in birth, no salvation of the soul in life, and no reward after death."
There is a very useful bit of advice, in the story of a demon that kills its victims by wearing them down with nightmares.

The advice is: let it amuse you, be entertained by efforts and it will sulk away in frustration. (I really wish I had the book on me, cause it sounds much cooler as the evil necromancer wrote it.)
..at least put some spikes in your clubs for goodness sake!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]