Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 591 592 [593] 594 595 ... 642

Author Topic: [40.24] ۩۩۩ Genesis Mod ۩۩۩ [ϟ .11c Old Genesis ϟ] - 0.40.25 update by TomiTapio  (Read 1229554 times)

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile

Therapist - consoler. The one that handles unhappy dwarves if your leader is busy (Psychiatrist?). Counts as a Noble.
Dungeon Master - Handles the taming of exotic beasties (Unsure if this is really true, everything can be trained in Genesis.) Does not require any knowledge on animal training. Counts as a Noble and has high requirements.

Steel caste = warriors. Use them or you'll have a hard time surviving.

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • In Russia Putin strikes meteor
    • View Profile

Could someone please PM me on how to install dwarf therapist for Genesis?
Would the owner of an ounce of dignity please contact the mall security?

Sunday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So I love Genesis mod, and I stopped playing DF for awhile, but came back and first thing I did was DL Genesis.  I downloaded the modloader version just a few days ago, but I seem to be running into a problem.

Every game I start has no ore veins.  There are gems, different types of stone, but no ores. 

When cavern/magma are revealed there is nothing, my exploratory mining finds nothing, etc etc.  There is adamantium but that is it...

Any idea what's wrong/help?

You might be generating worlds with a lot of mineral scarcity—I accidentally did that with my first world the last time I dl'd Genesis.

Go to advanced parameters and change the "mineral scarcity" value to something low (100, the absolute lowest possible, should give you an insane amount of minerals—more than you could ever need). The standard scarcity (2500?) can get pretty barren mineral-wise, especially with a few mods that have mostly been bugtested on lower mineral scarcity value worlds.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 11:27:24 am by Sunday »

MAurelius

• Bay Watcher
  • Philosopher King
    • View Profile
    • Marcus Aurelius Let's Play

Therapist - consoler. The one that handles unhappy dwarves if your leader is busy (Psychiatrist?). Counts as a Noble.
Dungeon Master - Handles the taming of exotic beasties (Unsure if this is really true, everything can be trained in Genesis.) Does not require any knowledge on animal training. Counts as a Noble and has high requirements.

Steel caste = warriors. Use them or you'll have a hard time surviving.

Yeah, they both are. I just wish I had more than 2 of them.

Looks like based on what you're saying the Dungeon Master doesn't do anything and has high requirements. Guess I'll skip on him. As for the therapist, then I'll just look for someone with high social skills, pacifying. Probably a Jade caste.

Karik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So I love Genesis mod, and I stopped playing DF for awhile, but came back and first thing I did was DL Genesis.  I downloaded the modloader version just a few days ago, but I seem to be running into a problem.

Every game I start has no ore veins.  There are gems, different types of stone, but no ores. 

When cavern/magma are revealed there is nothing, my exploratory mining finds nothing, etc etc.  There is adamantium but that is it...

You might be generating worlds with a lot of mineral scarcity—I accidentally did that with my first world the last time I dl'd Genesis.

Go to advanced parameters and change the "mineral scarcity" value to something low (100, the absolute lowest possible, should give you an insane amount of minerals—more than you could ever need). The standard scarcity (2500?) can get pretty barren mineral-wise, especially with a few mods that have mostly been bugtested on lower mineral scarcity value worlds.

I cranked mineral scarcity to max and still all that I can find is gems and adamantine. :(

Sunday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I cranked mineral scarcity to max and still all that I can find is gems and adamantine. :(

Hmmm. First, by saying the you "cranked mineral scarcity to max," you mean you made it as low as possible, right? The lower the scarcity number, the more minerals available. If you made it the maximum (meaning the highest possible number, IIRC 9999), then you'll find fewer minerals than the default. You're probably doing everything right, but the way you wrote it, it sounds like you're doing the opposite of what you should do. . . :)

Other than that, did you make any changes in the RAWs? Or are you using more than 1 mod at a time? I'm not sure. I don't have the same problem. :(

Karik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hmmm. First, by saying the you "cranked mineral scarcity to max," you mean you made it as low as possible, right?

Nope I didn't read so I cranked it to 100000.  So I downloaded the newest version of mod-loader, put mineral scarcity to a number lower than 2500, and am checking it now, hopefully I will get some copper at least!

Edit:  PRAISE THE MINERS!  Okay everything is fine now at least.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 03:03:36 pm by Karik »

Sunday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hmmm. First, by saying the you "cranked mineral scarcity to max," you mean you made it as low as possible, right?

Nope I didn't read so I cranked it to 100000.  So I downloaded the newest version of mod-loader, put mineral scarcity to a number lower than 2500, and am checking it now, hopefully I will get some copper at least!

Edit:  PRAISE THE MINERS!  Okay everything is fine now at least.

Excellent!

The exact same thing happened to me for like 3 weeks when the mineral scarcity parameter first got put in. I couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong. . .

MAurelius

• Bay Watcher
  • Philosopher King
    • View Profile
    • Marcus Aurelius Let's Play

I put my mineral scarcity to 600 I believe, and minerals (speaking ores in specific) are still very rare (<10% of all stone). I will try 100 and see what happens. I know that in the basic world gen setting minerals to "everywhere" makes them way more prevalent than my 600. Scarcity is a funny number, A) because it's backwards (why not just have an "amount of minerals" setting? So the higher the more...) and B) it's not linear, but based on some graphs I saw either on these forums or the wiki it's more like a Nike swoosh, so as you lower scarcity (therefore increasing minerals) not much happens until you lower it a lot, and then the minerals jump up super fast.

What I will say is that more rare minerals increases reliance on trade, which is fine in a mod like Genesis because you have so many trading partners, but also means you are forced to protect them. I've always wondered why traders who come year after year to a hostile location just don't bring about 10x more guards than they do now. They make tons of profit, and then they don't always get slaughtered within sight of your fortress.

Dr.Propz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Whenever my units are training with the training dummy, they occasionally make a masterful weapon. Is there any real reason as to why?

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile

Whenever my units are training with the training dummy, they occasionally make a masterful weapon. Is there any real reason as to why?
It's because they aren't actually "Training" their doing a reaction that requires a training weapon as a reagent then produces a training weapon as a product using the relevant weapon skill. When a swordsman trains with training sword he's actually using the training sword to make a new training sword, that new training sword will have a quality modifier based on his skill as a swordsman.

Dr.Propz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It's because they aren't actually "Training" their doing a reaction that requires a training weapon as a reagent then produces a training weapon as a product using the relevant weapon skill. When a swordsman trains with training sword he's actually using the training sword to make a new training sword, that new training sword will have a quality modifier based on his skill as a swordsman.

Ah, that makes sense. I was wondering why I kept getting that spam

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile

Ah, that makes sense. I was wondering why I kept getting that spam
I use the profile manager to assign a repeating Train Weapon job to my militia and as soon as one gets to legendary I remove his name from the list. It maximizes efficiency and prevents the worst of that spam.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
If Toady ever gives us the ability to hire mercenaries from other species, I'm hiring that lone survivor to guard my fort! :D

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile

Now all you need is to find that survivor in legends and post a screen of the number of kills :P
Pages: 1 ... 591 592 [593] 594 595 ... 642