Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 576 577 [578] 579 580 ... 642

Author Topic: [40.24] ۩۩۩ Genesis Mod ۩۩۩ [ϟ .11c Old Genesis ϟ] - 0.40.25 update by TomiTapio  (Read 1230195 times)

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Re: ۩۩۩ ஃ Genesis Mod ஃ ۩۩۩ [ϟ 3.26 ϟ] - new demons, Phoebus graphics
« Reply #8655 on: January 08, 2012, 12:24:36 am »

Why do I always start game with seven keepers instead of dwarfs? They have "U" as picture, not smile, and have description of keepers in "Thoughts and preferences".

i dont know whats wrong but i've heard of people playing with werewolves and i cant play as any of the new subraces in adventure mode just the some human,elf,dwarf,human outsider help?

Come on, STOP overwriting vanilla version, that's where all your problems come from. Use it INDEPENDENTLY :).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

MAurelius

• Bay Watcher
  • Philosopher King
    • View Profile
    • Marcus Aurelius Let's Play
« Reply #8656 on: January 08, 2012, 12:49:06 am »

What is the easiest to set up defense (before military is ready) for trap avoid civs? I'm not used to dealing with non-goblin invaders.

Locking them out is not an option either as I would like to trade.

Great mod! Some of the crops aren't listed in the manual (example: potatoes). Can I find their brewing/cooking info in the game itself or files?

Thanks!

arghy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8657 on: January 08, 2012, 02:47:45 am »

Heres what i do from embark,

1. Build a complete wall with 1 door ASAP
2. Dig out underground grazing areas
3. Find all caverns

Next defensive step is to build a draw bridge to that 1 door and expand it into a 1 tile maze, this is your control point allowing you to lure siegers into the maze which should be studded with weapon traps to whittle down siegers. You then want to build a long controlled road to your depot which will allow your marksdwarves to shoot at the enemys and give caravans a fighting chance to run past your 2nd drawbridge before their killed.

Your primary entrance should be the long winding road with the guard towers and 2nd drawbridge, your back door is the door/weapon trap drawbridge and you should also have a further 3rd entrance which should literally be a walled up 1 tile snaking tunnel to the outside. You want to then upwards ramp out the area under your 2nd drawbridge until it literally falls into your first cavern as demons can survive quite a bit. I usually build a walled enclosure in the first cavern 2 tiles wider then the drop hole and wall up the entrance. This is your collection pit for your dwarves to somewhat safely collect everything by deconstructing the wall to collect everything.

The drop has the added benefit of bursting your enemys into little bits so you can use their bones as you actually cant use their skeletons which is bull. If you add weapon traps to the edge of your drop on both sides when the bridge is up siegers will dodge off the edge into the drop which is hilarious when you have 60 beastmen running to the edge of your drop then watching as literally all 60 jump like lemmings.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #8658 on: January 08, 2012, 09:27:35 am »

My early defence:

1) Reroll to embark with 2 steel dwarves.
2) Steal gear from caravan guards.
3) Profit :).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #8659 on: January 08, 2012, 09:31:44 am »

Early defence:
1). Strike the earth.
2).Dig down to caverns.
3).Make elite miner corps to fend off savage cavern civs.
4).Seal off top once successful lumber and farming industries have been set up.
Profit, and only one step longer than the creator's suggestion.

Naina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8660 on: January 08, 2012, 10:28:42 am »

I must say, I love this mod wholeheartedly. The variations of growable plants you've put in is probably my favorite feature. Speaking of which, however, I've run into some issues with 3.26 where seeds I embark with (most consistently kiwifruit and dragonfruit) aren't listed as options when I create farming plots. Are these being restricted by my embark area somehow?

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #8661 on: January 08, 2012, 11:54:55 am »

They may be restricted by biome and savagery. It's a DF issue.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

MAurelius

• Bay Watcher
  • Philosopher King
    • View Profile
« Reply #8662 on: January 08, 2012, 02:08:25 pm »

Arghy:

Your set up seems trap intensive. Will trap-avoid civs still dodge weapon traps in order to fall into your pit, or do you only use the guard tower/ranged military set up to stop them?

So you have 1) The maze entrance, 2) A one tile wide walled snakey entrance, and 3) the main entrance for traders with guard towers. fortifications for ranged military, and another bridge to trap things inside it?

Thanks, something to think about. I try to have one main 3 tile entrance with cage/weapon traps and dogs after a curve to prevent them being shot. Then once that is squared away (year 3 or so before it's totally complete) I work on an "invaders" entrance with a one tile wide snakey tunnel with better weapon traps. I know entrance only needs to be 1 tile wide but wagons are gonna come back at some point so it seems a good idea to be used to their size requirements. For the snakey tunnel I need to experiment with bridges to be able to easily clean it up because it takes forever for my dwarves to weave their way through it. This is problem one. Problem two is often the invaders stop coming and just sit around waiting for me. I have found that is NOT the case with a wider entrance, another benefit to the three tile wide relatively straight heavily trapped one.

Deon: I started with one Steel dwarf and one Shield dwarf. Shield seemed actually better to me but you're saying Steel is better? I also got two Moss and an Aspid (worthless). I was hoping for a Schroom dwarf to increase farming yield. I did put one of my two Obsidian's in metalworking, though two at this point is a bit much.

Again, where is the most updated info on the new crops? The first post of this thread and the manual don't list all of them. I like the sheet in the manual that says if everything can be eaten raw, cooked, extracted, or brewed, but don't know how to figure that out for the foods and seeds not in the manual.

Edit: While I'm on that, some of the new metals are unclear to me, too. I saw your "relative value" page but wasn't sure I was reading it right. Are you saying in your mod Bronze is a better metal than Iron? Because it's shown as superior to Iron by weight/density (what happened to Silver? - not on your list) AND by edge. That's not how it is in vanilly, right? You put that the only think Iron is better than Bronze at is compressive yield/fracture, but I don't even know what that means. In short, aside from spoilerite, best blunt is Black Bronze, with Copper of all things being second best, and best edged is Red Steel, followed by Black Steel, followed by Steel, then Sun Gold? So for example the first traders to reach me were Dunedwellers (still listed as Ezrakim in the manual) and they had Sun Gold up the wazoo, so that actually will make me pretty high quality armor and weapons while I forge steel and its derivatives?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 02:15:35 pm by MAurelius »

arghy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8663 on: January 08, 2012, 03:57:58 pm »

Your set up seems trap intensive. Will trap-avoid civs still dodge weapon traps in order to fall into your pit, or do you only use the guard tower/ranged military set up to stop them?
Theres actually not that many trap avoiding siegers but they'll siege with others or may be riding beasts you want traps to stop them and most importantly you need to remove the goddamn building destroyers as they ruin everything. The multiple draw bridges should allow you to control their movements fairly well so your military can thin them out.

So you have 1) The maze entrance, 2) A one tile wide walled snakey entrance, and 3) the main entrance for traders with guard towers. fortifications for ranged military, and another bridge to trap things inside it?
The entire point of drawbridges is to stop flying ambushers and building destroyers from ripping through your doors but the main entrance drawbridge can be timed with locked/unlocked doors to lure siegers unto it to get tossed. The multiple back doors are for immigrants/diplomats/traders so even when you have siegers clogging up your first and secondary entrances you can open that third entrance.

Until you deal with an entire siege party riding building destroyer animals you'll never defend against them and you'll prolly lose a fortress. You also gotta watch out for thieves who unlock doors and leave your entire fortress open but thats what walls instead of doors and drawbrdiges are for. You can also use water moats, drowning chambers and pressure flow traps(unleashing a huge cistern of water unto a bridge that invaders are crossing) but they dont yield bones. Theres no joy like watching entire sieges explode into little bits when they hit the ground.

I've often thought about a 3 bridge system for more coverage to allow more siegers to drop but you need alot of room for that.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8664 on: January 08, 2012, 04:14:35 pm »

So I promised to report once I have more results in my experiment. So here it is...

SUCCESS!!

Put [UTTERANCES] into the beastman and centaur entries in creature_civilised.txt, and remove the [TRANSLATION:goblin.txt] line from their respective entity files. Ta-da! With only these changes, I still get their sieges as usual, but now they have names both in fort and adventurer mode.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

MAurelius

• Bay Watcher
  • Philosopher King
    • View Profile
« Reply #8665 on: January 08, 2012, 04:53:15 pm »

Just lost my first Genesis fort at the beginning of year two. I took to the new crops and workshops pretty well (in fact I dwarfing love them, rock bins and trap parts - BRILLIANT! - Stonecutter's and Furniture Workshops are my new favorites), but not so much military. I had a proficient axedwarf with a bronze battleaxe and a proficient hammerdwarf with a black bronze hammer (but no armor) and they were pretty much mauled by a group of beastmen. Didn't expect an ambush before year 3, let a lone a siege.

I guess the Genesis learning curve is gonna take a while longer. ;)

IronCodpiece

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8666 on: January 08, 2012, 05:25:46 pm »

Deon, thank you for the update!  Meteoric Iron is a fantastic addition.

Now time to wait for the upcoming vanilla update!
Needs alcohol to get through the work day.

slawr34

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8667 on: January 08, 2012, 11:31:04 pm »

I have tried, admittedly, but it is impossible to combine any of the phoebus graphics into Genesis. I wanted to because I disliked the current tileset (not the characters) as it is dark and even.

Is it possible to get a collaboration going? Or maybe just add the missing tiles to existing tilesets to give us some options?

BTW I love the new version, awesome. Keep up the good work.

Heyoo?
I'm keeping the necromancers busy by feeding them children.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #8668 on: January 09, 2012, 01:40:20 am »

I have tried, admittedly, but it is impossible to combine any of the phoebus graphics into Genesis. I wanted to because I disliked the current tileset (not the characters) as it is dark and even.

Is it possible to get a collaboration going? Or maybe just add the missing tiles to existing tilesets to give us some options?

BTW I love the new version, awesome. Keep up the good work.

Heyoo?
What about existing Phoebus version?

I will try to make a proper crops guide soon, wait :).

Tirion, thanks, if that works it's awesome. I will do it.

MAurelius, yep, bronze is better than iron by many things. Early iron may be a bit harder, but otherwise it's brittle in comparison to bronze IRL, I tried to simulate that. After all the bronze age transitioned into iron age because of the lack of tin, or people would still use bronze weapons and armor :P.

Shield clan dwarves are easy to train in combat skills, but steel clan dwarves have better stats, so in the long run they are better.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Dwemeral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8669 on: January 09, 2012, 04:36:51 am »

The links to the mod don't seem to be working. atleast for me.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 04:40:53 am by Dwemeral »
Pages: 1 ... 576 577 [578] 579 580 ... 642