Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 574 575 [576] 577 578 ... 642

Author Topic: [40.24] ۩۩۩ Genesis Mod ۩۩۩ [ϟ .11c Old Genesis ϟ] - 0.40.25 update by TomiTapio  (Read 1230255 times)

arghy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ۩۩۩ ஃ Genesis Mod ஃ ۩۩۩ [ϟ 3.26 ϟ] - new demons, Phoebus graphics
« Reply #8625 on: January 06, 2012, 04:31:47 am »

Hey Deon,

Did you do something to the caverns vs. the vanilla version? I ask because I have been frustrated silly by vanilla because I get a lot of maze-like 15 z level tall caverns with lots of 3-4 square vertical pillars and nearly no open space. So right now I create a throwaway game (didn't even prepare carefully) just to look around at some of the new stones, etc (this is my first time playing Genesis) and when I breach the cavern layer what do I see but the most beautiful cavern I have ever seen. It's about 70% open space with TWO lakes and all rock pillars are large enough to put a room in (some could house an entire floor of a fortress, dining hall, workshops, whatever). I could have just got some fortunate, random, beautiful cave but I've embarked too many times and have never seen anything like it so I want to believe you altered something to create it like this. I love it, and hope when I play "for real" that I find one just as great. I have never seen a proper underground lake in vanilla (I find water all the time, but it's in kind of a pillar room with no "shoreline" to speak of). This one has a ground shore around most of the lake. It feels like a real cavern! Thank you!

I am a bit overwhelmed by all the new stuff however. And I'm pretty sure the manual is outdated, right, as it conflicts with what you have up in the forum (it still lists ezrakim elves while I think in the forum they changed into desert humans). Is there an updated source of knowledge on the new stuff?

Also, will soundsense run with this? I have to admit I like the new music as a change of pace but I miss the audio cues (such as the cough when a noble makes a mandate, etc.)

Its in the world gen parameters, if you put openess at 100% and pathway density at 0% with water at min 30 you'll almost always get massive open caves with water on every level.

I was so attached to my current fortress now i gotta start all over again :( oh well screwed up with the quickfort stuff anyhow chose the wrong layout even if it did have circles. I'd love it if the damn circle packs worked for QF i want to just channel a giant circle straight down and have my stuff clinging to the sides of the hole but its impossible to hand designate all the circles. I'd love to have the traders walk down into the giant circle looking out the glass windows while snow/rain falls deep into the earth.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #8626 on: January 06, 2012, 06:23:36 am »

So, you finally made a website to list all your mods, eh Deon? Great stuff :P
Only those I remembered at once :P. I will add more once I want to.

How do your cavern races work ? I know animalmen just have a camp and might fight critters... are the dark dwarves and ratman different ?

:)
They are cave dwellers too, so yeah, camps.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Wiro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8627 on: January 06, 2012, 11:41:16 am »

Awesome. Time to play your mod for the very first time... xD

corporalcody

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8628 on: January 06, 2012, 12:29:36 pm »

Hey Deon,
First off, thanks for hard work on this phenomenal mod. It really spices up the game and makes adventure mode a blast.

I have a question about the latest version. I enjoy using ASCII for adventure mode (It pleasantly reminds me of the old rouge-likes, I guess its a case of nostalgia). For the latest version, the game appears to be 'stretched out'. That is, the characters in the main-menu, the ASCII text, and everything else appears to be stretched out and blurred. This was not the case with the previous versions, or the stock DF game. I've tried expanding the application window, tried copying over the vanilla tileset, but nothing seems to help.

Could you possibly point me in a direction to getting the game to appear in a correct 'resolution'? Thanks.

Here is a picture for reference. What I am striving for is one the right, the current ASCII version is on the left.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8629 on: January 06, 2012, 12:57:29 pm »

Small bug yet unfixed: Cave Beetles have no [CHILD:1] token and consequently don't breed. By the way, is their chitin better than cave croc/alligator tough leather?
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8630 on: January 06, 2012, 01:25:47 pm »

Is there something odd about frogmen? They decompose directly into bones so you can make frogman crafts despite dwarf ethics.

Molay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8631 on: January 06, 2012, 01:43:17 pm »

Hey Deon,
First off, thanks for hard work on this phenomenal mod. It really spices up the game and makes adventure mode a blast.

I have a question about the latest version. I enjoy using ASCII for adventure mode (It pleasantly reminds me of the old rouge-likes, I guess its a case of nostalgia). For the latest version, the game appears to be 'stretched out'. That is, the characters in the main-menu, the ASCII text, and everything else appears to be stretched out and blurred. This was not the case with the previous versions, or the stock DF game. I've tried expanding the application window, tried copying over the vanilla tileset, but nothing seems to help.

Could you possibly point me in a direction to getting the game to appear in a correct 'resolution'? Thanks.

Here is a picture for reference. What I am striving for is one the right, the current ASCII version is on the left.

It's unusual, but I have the answer! Atleast, I believe.

You want to use "truetype fonts". To do so, go to your genesis mod folder, into the data subfolder, then the init subfolder and open the init.txt file.
(Genesis_3.26_Phoebus\data\init\init.txt/ for me)
There, you can use ctrl+f to search for 'true', this will bring you to the part where you can change the setting you want.
Set [TRUETYPE:NO] to [TRUETYPE:YES] and you're good to go.
It should make text behave like regular text, instead of tiles.

Beware: you need to use the 2D printing mode for this to work (printing mode is just above!).
Edit: Beware even more: I've searched a bit in the forums and appearently, truetype can cause crashes with very long names. I don't tested that myself as I don't use truetype, nor do I know if it still makes games crash or if that is a relic of the past. Just wanted to let you know it could possibley crash, since some items may have long names.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 01:49:37 pm by Molay »
The best alternative to having a functional steel industry is to have a really, really, really good hospital. And a lot of coffins.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #8632 on: January 06, 2012, 02:27:59 pm »

It's not truetype, it's curses_square_16x16.bmp. Change it to curses_640x300.png or curses_800x600.bmp in your d_init.txt. I prefer square ASCII font because square structures appear square, but the rectangular font shows more on X axis.

DO NOT use truetype mode, it crashes.

Is there something odd about frogmen? They decompose directly into bones so you can make frogman crafts despite dwarf ethics.
Nothing that I remember, I will check :).

Small bug yet unfixed: Cave Beetles have no [CHILD:1] token and consequently don't breed. By the way, is their chitin better than cave croc/alligator tough leather?
Thanks, I also forgot to fix the 0 value of spleen etc, although it's not a major issue (I still don't remember why TomiTapio made it so).

About chitin, thanks for pointing that out... The treated chitin is as good as normal leather (it was added back when there were no leather tiers), so I should definitely buff it a bit now. Right now "hide" clothing and armor are better than "chitin" counterparts.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Molay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8633 on: January 06, 2012, 04:32:14 pm »

I was watching that let's play you linked to in the first post. I noticed he embarked on a village. How to do that? I can't embark on civilizations?
The best alternative to having a functional steel industry is to have a really, really, really good hospital. And a lot of coffins.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #8634 on: January 06, 2012, 04:41:54 pm »

There's an "embark anywhere" tool, look for that.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8635 on: January 06, 2012, 07:57:01 pm »

umm.. so Deon do you just spend all of your time modding Roguelikes or something?

and i figured out what it was with the ironhand pack. i was getting an excessive amount of embarks with dark soils AND dark stones. resulting in everything being dark. however something seems to have changed in the newest version of genesis as i am getting many embarks with lighter soils and stones...

i have no idea what the reason could possibly be... random chance maybe?

also, what is the highest caste of illithids? or is there not really a highest? they are quite fun to play as in adventure mode.

Logrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8636 on: January 06, 2012, 08:07:10 pm »

I don't know about all his time. But I know he's supreme at it.

There's Genesis
His Fallout DF-Mod
He did some stuff for...a zombie rogue-like ((rogue surviver?))
That's all I got, but it's probably a long laundry list of names.
What monstrosities would walk the streets, were peoples faces as unfinished as their minds.

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8637 on: January 06, 2012, 08:08:24 pm »

I don't know about all his time. But I know he's supreme at it.

There's Genesis
His Fallout DF-Mod
He did some stuff for...a zombie rogue-like ((rogue surviver?))That's all I got, but it's probably a long laundry list of names.
Catalcylsm.
Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?

trees

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUNDANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8638 on: January 06, 2012, 08:09:56 pm »

He made a Rogue Survivor mod in addition to Cataclysm. Don't forget Elona or LCS, either. I think he was (maybe still is?) making a BYOND game at one point, too.
I am often bad at phrasing things - don't hesitate to ask for clarification if something I said doesn't make sense.

arghy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8639 on: January 06, 2012, 09:03:03 pm »

Um i embarked on an awesome haunted glacier but when the skeletal and zombie mammoths went a slaughtering they left behind no remains--phoebus version. My embark party was slaughtered to the man before i could test other things but is it normal? oh it was the fucking doctor sleeping on the job that caused this and he was the first to fall as the skeletal mammoth stomped his lazy head in.
Pages: 1 ... 574 575 [576] 577 578 ... 642