Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 511 512 [513] 514 515 ... 642

Author Topic: [40.24] ۩۩۩ Genesis Mod ۩۩۩ [ϟ .11c Old Genesis ϟ] - 0.40.25 update by TomiTapio  (Read 1232442 times)

urpokarhu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hello,

I'm just getting started with Genesis. It seems that the version with Phoebus graphic pack crashes constantly before and in the middle of embark. Game goes to "not responding" or "visual c++ error" error pops up. Vanilla DF with Phoebus and Genesis with Ironhand works fine. Is the release more unstable with Phoebus? I'm using 64 bit Win7 and I have tried compability modes without a success. Shame, I love Phoebus graphics.

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos

Tomi, i just noticed that my War Cow Moose just gave birth to an Elk Fawn....
Infact, all my moose are giving birth to elk fawns, none have grown up yet, so i cant tell if they are actually moose or not.
Probably simple neglect in making Moose.
My main "installed" version of Genesis went poof when I formatted my SSD to install fresh Win7 (new pc hardware). I'll have to use my July-11 upload as a base when I resume tuning :´)

I'm just getting started with Genesis. It seems that the version with Phoebus graphic pack crashes constantly before and in the middle of embark. Game goes to "not responding" or "visual
Alas, I'm not supporting Phoebus or Goldplated. Ascii and Ironhand are enough work. Guess I'll put out a sub-release when next DF version comes out.
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

urpokarhu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm just getting started with Genesis. It seems that the version with Phoebus graphic pack crashes constantly before and in the middle of embark. Game goes to "not responding" or "visual
Alas, I'm not supporting Phoebus or Goldplated. Ascii and Ironhand are enough work. Guess I'll put out a sub-release when next DF version comes out.

That would be great, if you decide to do that.

urpokarhu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hello,

I'm just getting started with Genesis. It seems that the version with Phoebus graphic pack crashes constantly before and in the middle of embark. Game goes to "not responding" or "visual c++ error" error pops up. Vanilla DF with Phoebus and Genesis with Ironhand works fine. Is the release more unstable with Phoebus? I'm using 64 bit Win7 and I have tried compability modes without a success. Shame, I love Phoebus graphics.

Finally I got Genesis + Phoebus up and running. First I turned on "windows 95" compability mode and "disable themes" in the compability settings. After embarking I turned every compability options off, they were causing major slow down to the game. Now the game is running but really choppy, sometimes FPS drops to 5-6, this happens especially above ground, underground is much smoother. Any idea what might be causing this? I'm running high end Core i7 with 6GB of RAM workstation so the CPU/RAM isn't the case here.

PS. I also notice some rubberband effect even while FPS stays 100. This means that the dwarves gets a sudden burst of speed and then slow down to normal speed.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2011, 02:25:26 am by urpokarhu »

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile

Does anyone know how to remove the Ironhand graphics from the Genesis mod for uploading movies? Or to just remove it to see what are the ASCII symbols properly?

Turning graphics to NO strangely makes it like vanilla but the detail is wrong though.

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile

Does anyone know how to remove the Ironhand graphics from the Genesis mod for uploading movies? Or to just remove it to see what are the ASCII symbols properly?
Turning graphics to NO strangely makes it like vanilla but the detail is wrong though.
I know how to do it, but it's many hours of work unless... WinMerge (or other code-comparison tool) the tile definitions from ascii to ironhand.
Almost all the plant and tree tiles are different between those two versions, and the creatures in Ironhand are all "tile 255 pile of bones". Not sure about workshop and item tile differences.

In theory, if you're using my ironhand release, you could just overwrite all raws with my corresponding ascii release. In practice... probably doesn't work.

Reminder for people new to TomiTapio-enhanced Genesis:
- more tree species and three classes of wood: regular (value 1 birch, fir, cork oak etc.), fairwood (value 2 beech, yellow satinwood), goodwood (value 3 oak, mahogany, teak, maple, ebony, holly etc. real-life furniture woods.) So one can manage which logs go to furniture and which to fuel. Tip: designate with mouse which logs to dump away from the fuel-wood stockpile. Good wood is set to dark red.

- new minerals based on Real Life (fluorspar, biotite(dark iron mica), migmatite, hornfels, greenstone, elvan, zeolite, syenite, scoria, pumice, augite, azurite, corundum, sphene, barite, pegmatite. Pink Marble, Pure[best] Marble, Black Marble[bitumin-darkened limestone] )

- tissue bleeding and pain-fainting rebalance
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 07:00:49 am by TomiTapio »
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image

urpokarhu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm tempted to pick up TomiTapio's isubrelease with Ironhand, you are doing a great job :) I got Genesis with Phoebus working quite ok, with my ultra powerful PC but still not smooth as vanilla. Personally I dislike the way Workshop looks like in the Ironhand tileset, very hard to tell which is which.

urpokarhu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hello,

Finally I got Genesis + Phoebus up and running. First I turned on "windows 95" compability mode and "disable themes" in the compability settings. After embarking I turned every compability options off, they were causing major slow down to the game. Now the game is running but really choppy, sometimes FPS drops to 5-6, this happens especially above ground, underground is much smoother. Any idea what might be causing this? I'm running high end Core i7 with 6GB of RAM workstation so the CPU/RAM isn't the case here.

PS. I also notice some rubberband effect even while FPS stays 100. This means that the dwarves gets a sudden burst of speed and then slow down to normal speed.

I tried TomiTapio's Geneis with Ironhand quickly yesterday and noticed crashing before embarking (fixed with windows 95 compability and disabling win7 themes in the compability settings) and the "rubber band" effect in the game. Guess it isn't machine or graphic pack related. Maybe it's DF itself, although vanilla never does this. My computer runs Crysis 2 with DX11 effect on ultra fine, but as said in the NY Times article the games take more CPU than calculating plane wing aerodynamics.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 12:55:43 am by urpokarhu »

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile

I dislike the way Workshop looks like in the Ironhand tileset, very hard to tell which is which.
If you have some suggestions how to make them look better, using the existing ironhand tiles, please tell them. We can change things around, but not too much.

I tried TomiTapio's Genesis with Ironhand quickly yesterday and noticed crashing before embarking (fixed with windows 95 compability and disabling win7 themes in the compability settings) and the "rubber band" effect in the game. Guess it isn't machine or graphic pack related. Maybe it's DF itself, although vanilla never does this. My computer runs Crysis 2 with DX11 effect on ultra fine, but as said in the NY Times article the games take more CPU than calculating plane wing aerodynamics.
Hmm the rubberband effect might be due to your harddisk suddenly taking a chunk of processor time. You could try telling your OS in task manager "DF can only run on cpu cores 0 and 1".
Genesis should run as fast as vanilla; more variety in items and creatures shouldn't cause more cpu use, only more memory use.
Want to try my init file? Genesis_3.25dTT_ASCII_READYTOPLAY_NoWere_NoFlay_July11.zip\Genesis_3.25dTT_ASCII\data\init\tomis_init_for_tinkering folder. And Truetype definitely off in DF init.

DF takes only a little bit of CPU... if you're satisfied with 5 fps (5 time-ticks per second) and a small map. I prefer the 90-300 fps range and 3x2 map over "issue commands, go do something else for 15min".
"One fort season (100800 ticks) is: 67 minutes at 25 fps, 34 minutes at 50 fps, 17 minutes at 100 fps." -me

Stuff sitting on my DF todo list... no motivation this month either
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 04:22:53 am by TomiTapio »

urpokarhu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I dislike the way Workshop looks like in the Ironhand tileset, very hard to tell which is which.
If you have some suggestions how to make them look better, using the existing ironhand tiles, please tell them. We can change things around, but not too much.

I tried TomiTapio's Genesis with Ironhand quickly yesterday and noticed crashing before embarking (fixed with windows 95 compability and disabling win7 themes in the compability settings) and the "rubber band" effect in the game. Guess it isn't machine or graphic pack related. Maybe it's DF itself, although vanilla never does this. My computer runs Crysis 2 with DX11 effect on ultra fine, but as said in the NY Times article the games take more CPU than calculating plane wing aerodynamics.
Hmm the rubberband effect might be due to your harddisk suddenly taking a chunk of processor time. You could try telling your OS in task manager "DF can only run on cpu cores 0 and 1".
Genesis should run as fast as vanilla; more variety in items and creatures shouldn't cause more cpu use, only more memory use.
Want to try my init file? Genesis_3.25dTT_ASCII_READYTOPLAY_NoWere_NoFlay_July11.zip\Genesis_3.25dTT_ASCII\data\init\tomis_init_for_tinkering folder. And Truetype definitely off in DF init.

DF takes only a little bit of CPU... if you're satisfied with 5 fps (5 time-ticks per second) and a small map. I prefer the 90-300 fps range and 3x2 map over "issue commands, go do something else for 15min".
"One fort season (100800 ticks) is: 67 minutes at 25 fps, 34 minutes at 50 fps, 17 minutes at 100 fps." -me

Hello, thanks for noticing this! I tried your configuration getting over 430 FPS but the game was too fast, it was like the dwarves at the speed of the sound. I had to limit FPS to 100, i don't know if your configuration have any other options that might resolve my issues. Apparently I have also some major graphical issues, some dwarves are only visible by half or missing heads etc. I don't know what causes this. Maybe I'm just a newbie who hadn't figures out how to install your version for Ironhand right (1. unzip ironhand to some folder 2. copy your zip file in to it 3. play)

Hellcommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Found errors in the errorlog, can anyone tell me how I get fix these slight errors. Here are some examples (errors are similiar and linked to same problem) WOLF_ICE:FEMALE:crotch: No tissue thickness
WOLF_ICE:FEMALE:womb: No tissue thickness
WOLF_ICE:FEMALE:right ovary: No tissue thickness
HIPPO:Unrecognized Creature Token: MULTIPLY_VALUE
I'm using deons genesis 3.25d Ironhand with Ironhand installed beforehand.

Morwaul

• Bay Watcher
  • ..............boo
    • View Profile

Is there a way to control what Castes you get on Embark?  I just do not see my leader saying "Ok, who wants to go start a fort? Ok, lets go!"  I figure he would actually take some time and pick a team.

On a separate note, I found that I kept wondering which stone or wood was more valuable so I created a quick spreadsheet.  I may add more info if there is interest.  Also, I was not certain about some of the Fuels.  Are black mire and Swamp Peat fuels?  They have ignite values.

https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Aoo7gDkbr1RQdHRfWHQxWHBDRC10alliaFBqYTRXU2c&hl=en_US

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Is there a way to control what Castes you get on Embark?  I just do not see my leader saying "Ok, who wants to go start a fort? Ok, lets go!"  I figure he would actually take some time and pick a team.

On a separate note, I found that I kept wondering which stone or wood was more valuable so I created a quick spreadsheet.  I may add more info if there is interest.  Also, I was not certain about some of the Fuels.  Are black mire and Swamp Peat fuels?  They have ignite values.

https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Aoo7gDkbr1RQdHRfWHQxWHBDRC10alliaFBqYTRXU2c&hl=en_US

Volunteers are never what you want them to be when making a new civilization.

Hellcommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

fixed it seems might ive been left over from previous override delete folder and used fresh copy and no errorlog  :).

Hellcommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

uploaded a fix/replacement SanDiego tissue rebalance with no errors in errorlog for use with Genesis (was real pain to mod).
Pages: 1 ... 511 512 [513] 514 515 ... 642