Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 500 501 [502] 503 504 ... 642

Author Topic: [40.24] ۩۩۩ Genesis Mod ۩۩۩ [ϟ .11c Old Genesis ϟ] - 0.40.25 update by TomiTapio  (Read 1232508 times)

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos

The first post says that the ASCII sub-releases require downloading Genesis:ASCII first, but that doesn't seem right -- the Genesis:ASCII main release says it's for 0.31.19, rather than 0.31.25.  So, what I'm doing instead (on Linux) is: ... It seems to be working, insofar as I can figure out what I'm doing... did I miss something, or is this how it's supposed to go?
Yep, that .19 ascii is rather old!
I'm sorry, but it's your task to make sure the folders go into the right places. Look at folders and compare to how they are placed inside the distribution archive. Unless Linux DF places folders in some funny locations.

I better release a ready-to-play ascii (for Windows of course), since it's annoying to combine the pieces from three different archives (ascii raws + ascii inits + ironhand readytoplay, or ascii raws + old ascii readytoplay + 3.25 exe). My last ascii ready-to-play was Genesis_3.25c_ASCII_Tomis_Bonfires__Apr23.zip.

For everybody: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8967397/Genesis_3.25dTT_ASCII_READYTOPLAY_WarDucks_Marbles_June25.zip (no music)
Latest Ironhand raws: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8967397/Genesis_3.25dTT_Ironhand_WarDucks_Marbles_June25.zip

My changelog:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 03:15:14 pm by TomiTapio »
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

LordExumius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hmm... This is worrying...

After downloading the ascii version, mayday tileset and extra raws, I find that my DF likes to crash at random intervals. a few times it was during generating the years of history for a large map, another time it was while running away from brook trolls.

The crash is always the "Dwarf Fortress has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconveniance" message.

I would post the errorlog but I'm not sure which one of the seven billion errors led to the crash, although I could just post it all.

I think I'll reinstall and see what happens...

Oh and by the way, to install DFG I download the entire thing (with the dwarf fortress.exe and such) and use it to overwrite the files on the genesis ascii folder. Does that have anything to do with it?

EDIT: Nope, it still crashes even on reinstallation. The non-genesis DFG game didn't crash, so my best bet is that it's something to do with something happening between mayday and genesis.

The errorlog is too large for even an empty post, it seems, but it's mostly composed of unrecognized tokens, animal textures and inability to locate material template. All of them are to do with genesis creatures

Oh, and it also crashes when I try to use the "Find desired location" option when embarking

« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 04:57:42 pm by LordExumius »

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

(ascii raws + ascii inits + ironhand readytoplay, or ascii raws + old ascii readytoplay + 3.25 exe)

So there are actual gameplay changes in the data/init/ directory?
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos

So there are actual gameplay changes in the data/init/ directory?
Init directory tells what tileset (ascii tiles or graphics tiles) to use. And window size, autosave etc. Well maybe the tileset choice is not a gameplay change.

After downloading the ascii version, mayday tileset and extra raws, I find that my DF likes to crash at random intervals. a few times it was during generating the years of history for a large map, another time it was while running away from brook trolls.
Yep, I get worldgen crashes too, nothing to worry about.
Adventurer crashes, maybe maybe I have had one, super rare.
Fort mode crashes... they're more common, perhaps one per 2-3 fort years. So seasonal autosave and save after trading-done is a good idea. Sometimes incoming migrants cause the crash (caste, pet, items I have no idea which. I have set my Win7 to make crashdumps, which can only be read with like Visual Studio.)

The errorlog is too large for even an empty post, it seems, but it's mostly composed of unrecognized tokens, animal textures and inability to locate material template. All of them are to do with genesis creatures
You broke/duplicated a lotta something.
Errorlog of ascii release was empty when I test-generated a world with it.

Edit: what me embark with when have 3200 points (plus some more seed types on page 2)

Hmm in today-test ascii fort.. tiger killed two, both with "hand ripped off" AND NO OTHER DAMAGE. Gotta reduce bleeding a little.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 06:55:47 pm by TomiTapio »
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

LordExumius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Okay then, I've gone back to standard DF anyway because it seems more stable and less crashey.

Edit: and I'm able to create 1050 year histories without a single crash on the non modded version.                               
« Last Edit: June 26, 2011, 06:07:53 am by LordExumius »

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I really like the mod, but there is a problem with a lack of detailed readme, wiki included. I would have expected at least one sentence on each new item.

Example, what are the differences between a wood furnace and charcoal furnace ...

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Charcoal furnace produces 2 logs per wood burned.

Also, i'd agree, genesis needs better documentation.
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile

What's wrong with the existing manual? It tells you what charcoal furnace does among other things. If you are too lazy to look for the file called "Genesis Manual" in the downloaded folder, I cannot help you :).

If you want to write a more detailed manual, you are welcome. I have troubles writing my 120 page diploma which I should finish by tomorrow or tuesday ;).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Kicior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I have troubles writing my 120 page diploma which I should finish by tomorrow or tuesday ;).
What is it about?  :P
and slippedy sloppidy doo everything is made of fuck

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile

I have troubles writing my 120 page diploma which I should finish by tomorrow or tuesday ;).
What is it about?  :P
http://www.xantec.com/new/index.php?content=6&sub=6&haupt=6&gclid=CKa9v7Gm06kCFUrwzAodEAtfMQ

But I don't use costly SPR sensors' filters, I use a 60-years-old japanese electron beam microscope (JEBD-2, tried to google it, but nothing in the internetz about it) to make SPR filters from common silicate glass and silver.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Kicior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
and slippedy sloppidy doo everything is made of fuck

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile

And also revolutionary. If I was not so lazy about writing, I could make a dozen publications already. But as noted a few times in this thread, I don't like writing about stuff, I like making stuff happen :).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile

Okay, I am a bit tired of "butterfly brains" etc. so I simplify all vermin. They all get a "vermin" body and most get a mouth, and that's it.

I am sure that's enough, they never use their tiny legs and tails anyway.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

What's wrong with the existing manual? It tells you what charcoal furnace does among other things. If you are too lazy to look for the file called "Genesis Manual" in the downloaded folder, I cannot help you :).

If you want to write a more detailed manual, you are welcome. I have troubles writing my 120 page diploma which I should finish by tomorrow or tuesday ;).

I just discovered the manual, because you said it existed. Sorry then. On the other hand, should the mere existence of a manual been indicated in big bold font in the first post, I would have read it, as I'm an avid reader...  :P

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So... I finally thought, Hey lets get around to trying this mod...

So here I am.
How do I install it with Ascii graphics. I hate Tilesets...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...
Pages: 1 ... 500 501 [502] 503 504 ... 642