Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 490 491 [492] 493 494 ... 642

Author Topic: [40.24] ۩۩۩ Genesis Mod ۩۩۩ [ϟ .11c Old Genesis ϟ] - 0.40.25 update by TomiTapio  (Read 1232641 times)

ETV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, they are already quite big. They were bigger before, and they were not playing their current role (rushers, medium threat), because they were killing EVERYTHING. They were nerfed and you see them as they are now.

We are glad you finally took up celibacy in order to mod for us.
Heheh, it has nothing to do with celibacy. She will still visit me almost every day to cook and do other fun stuff. I am just hiding from army drafting because I need to finish my diploma first.

I find it insanely hard to play werewolves over any other race because they cannot wield armour, and their pelt is not sufficient enough to deter limb loss and such, I would have thought that werewolves would also get special tags which allowed regeneration of everything not related to limb loss such as tendons, nerves, bone damage as werewolves are commonly perceived to have incredibly regenerative properties.

Upon visualizing that change I can imagine adventurer werewolves rushing in, gnawing/ripping off a limb or two and darting back out after sustaining a cut or some such so their healing kicks in; making them like berserkers (a very fun class in all roguelikes imo) and I'd equip them with 2H Claymore swords to further fit this roll.

Another way to make them better but not broken may be to slightly increase their overall speed (an agile female orc is basically 1800-1900 As demigod, a werewolf female would then be around 1900-2000 For example, being faster than an orc, but has less of an advantage in terms of damage mitigation).

I'll go play more grand master wrestler/striker/biter wolves and train up fighting endlessly, but as it stands the best possible defence for werewolf players is dual shields and using biting as a primary attack.
Hello.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile

I'm going to do a 16x16 embark 10x10 embark (16x16 works gives 100 fps with 7 dorfs and I want it to run that fast for 80, so i'm trying it a bit smaller now...) with an above ground fortress. (no temperature/caverns/magma makes me able to easily run that, luckily).
The problem is that there won't be any metal and because of all the new enemies in this mod it isn't very likely that I can rely on merchants.
So my qustion is: did you add bone armor and weapons to this mod and is it available for all body parts (unlike vanilla) and it decent* versus enemies?

*dead dwarfs do not really matter, as long as it is better than wooden training weapons.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 07:58:43 am by Dutchling »

Torgan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm having a problem playing your Genesis mod. I've downloaded, and tried Genesis Mod 3.25d with IRONHAND tiles, and then
I tried the one with PHOEBUS tiles. And, I keep getting the same problem. The game crashes my computer when I
"prepare for the journey carefully" high light a dwarf, and press "v" View. This situation also happens when I "e" Embark!. I've only tried
this with Dwarf Fortress mode and not any of the other modes.  :'( I don't know what to do.... Can anyone help?
I get the same thing on my work computer but not my home one, I sort of assumed there was a secret anti-fun program on my work comp :P  The work machine is kind of old and running Windows XP, I've only tried Ironhand but when I either embark or view a dwarf at that stage it reboots my comp.

Qinetix

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile

Well I seem to crash also , Whenever I try to fast travel as a aspid dwarf (if I have allot of things on me) the game will simply Crash
Desu

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile

My embark menu seems to semi-crash when I go to a place with a cave (I cannot move or enlarge the embark size and it lags). This could be because of the fact that I have the max amount of caves and set them to be visible though.

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos

About bogeymen: bite them.
Latch on, rip off arm, latch on, rip off leg, boogeyman dies of bleeding.

On that note, buff werewolves skin or fur, or something really considering they can't use armour they should get some kind of good mitigation for their inherent flaws, perhaps bigger body size or weapon (claws/mouth) velocity and such...
I think I removed latch-on from my dwarves' bites. You don't hear about people ripping off limbs with their teeth in the crime news. I suppose "every bite can latch on" is an artifact that comes from copy-pasting the "default bite attack" when making creatures.

Werewolves already got
   [NATURAL_SKILL:WRESTLING:4] [NATURAL_SKILL:DODGING:4]
   [NATURAL_SKILL:BITE:6]
   [NATURAL_SKILL:GRASP_STRIKE:3] [NATURAL_SKILL:STANCE_STRIKE:3] [NATURAL_SKILL:SITUATIONAL_AWARENESS:6]
and are 150-250 kg in size (plus the occasional Gigantic occurrence.) I think if I put wrestling skill higher than biting, they would rather wrestle than bite.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

adventurer werewolves rushing in, gnawing/ripping off a limb or two and darting back out after sustaining a cut or some such so their healing kicks in; making them like berserkers (a very fun class in all roguelikes imo) and I'd equip them with 2H Claymore swords to further fit this roll.
I guess your werehero can go pick up a sword or two from village guards. I think they are unarmed combat species for the most part. Leaping on all fours. I'm thinking the werewolf civ be deleted once Toady's Nightcreature weres and vampirism arrive. Or convert them to peaceloving SatyrFolk. We had "beastmen" civ in DF 40d. If the entity's parameters were just right, one some worlds they were friendly and on some hostile.

The game crashes my computer when I "prepare for the journey carefully" high light a dwarf, and press "v" View.
Hmm.. doesn't sound like a Genesis problem. Have you tried different graphics settings in the init file? http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Init.txt

did you add bone armor and weapons to this mod and is it available for all body parts (unlike vanilla) and it decent* versus enemies?
No bone armor for the torso. Recently enabled bone boots. Bone weapons, hopeless, use wooden crossbow bolts instead. ROCK MAUL weapon from stonecutter workshop might serve you well. Ofcourse bone armor sucks, metal is far superior.

Heheh, it has nothing to do with celibacy. She will still visit me almost every day to cook and do other fun stuff. I am just hiding from army drafting because I need to finish my diploma first.
I recommend you give her foot massage. Some folks really dig that.
So.. finish studies and then do your soldiering time?

..and for good measure, a dwarfy cartoon:
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 11:22:59 am by TomiTapio »
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile

You're being drafted? That sucks :P
I just got a letter from the army/gov saying I'm sort of enlisted but only if something extraordinary happens I'll need to join the army.
But aren't you a little old for recruitment? I thought you needed to join the army as soon as you're of suitable age, which is 17 years old here.

Morwaul

• Bay Watcher
  • ..............boo
    • View Profile

Tomi!  Funpack?  Gah!  I have a herd chasing my animal trainer around.  Actually it is kind of cool being able to train everything.  War Forest Cats....  Is there a way to select which animal will be trained?  Or to force the game to only train the ones you want?  Likewise, is there a way to select or force which animal gets assigned when assigning war animals to your dwarves?  Time to start penning.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile

I'm having a problem playing your Genesis mod. I've downloaded, and tried Genesis Mod 3.25d with IRONHAND tiles, and then
I tried the one with PHOEBUS tiles. And, I keep getting the same problem. The game crashes my computer when I
"prepare for the journey carefully" high light a dwarf, and press "v" View. This situation also happens when I "e" Embark!. I've only tried
this with Dwarf Fortress mode and not any of the other modes.  :'( I don't know what to do.... Can anyone help?

Are you using it "as it is" or do you install latest Ironhand on top?

Make sure that there's [TRUETYPE:NO] in /data/init.txt.

You're being drafted? That sucks :P
I just got a letter from the army/gov saying I'm sort of enlisted but only if something extraordinary happens I'll need to join the army.
But aren't you a little old for recruitment? I thought you needed to join the army as soon as you're of suitable age, which is 17 years old here.
Yeah but university delays it. And I am well beyond the studying time (I've studied for 8 years :P).

2ETV: Werewolves are designed like that, a zerg-like race with strong armorless creatures who dogpile (lol the pun) and strangle even your adamantine clad dwarves, but fall to traps and weapons.

They WILL be more dangerous once we get turning syndromes.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile

There seems to be an issue with the mod, it worked fine an hour ago but now the game (even the openig is laggy and unresponsesive) I had the same copy for a few weeks now but evey copy of the genises mod on my computer is acting crazy...
-I didn't do anything and it started working after a few hours.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 04:14:50 pm by UltraValican »
Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile

There seems to be an issue with the mod, it worked fine an hour ago but now the game (even the openig is laggy and unresponsesive) I had the same copy for a few weeks now but evey copy of the genises mod on my computer is acting crazy...
Hmm. Bad sectors on harddisk perhaps? DF loads a hella lot of files, and if one file is corrupt..
http://maximumpcguides.com/windows-vista/how-to-use-check-disk-in-windows-vista/
Running out of harddisk space might cause odd symptoms too.
(Mod works fine for me, except the occasional fort mode crash, perhaps one crash in 3 fort-years. Bah had a crash this evening, one of the migrants/mig-pet caused it.)

Tomi!  Funpack?  Gah!  I have a herd chasing my animal trainer around.  Actually it is kind of cool being able to train everything.  War Forest Cats....  Is there a way to select which animal will be trained?  Or to force the game to only train the ones you want?  Likewise, is there a way to select or force which animal gets assigned when assigning war animals to your dwarves?  Time to start penning.
I think pastured animals cannot be trained. So, pasture those you don't want to train. And dorfs might survive better when War Pets take hits from enemies. Assigned war animals can't be butchered, so they might take some FPS away from you.
This zero-grazing domestic-equals-trainable is just temporary :^)
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 09:30:42 pm by TomiTapio »
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile

Errrr... Tomi, I'm using your version and I collapsed a few wooden floors into a river and apparantly my woodworker was caught in a cloud of "boiling soilmagma" is this supposed to happen?
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile

Errrr... Tomi, I'm using your version and I collapsed a few wooden floors into a river and apparantly my woodworker was caught in a cloud of "boiling soilmagma" is this supposed to happen?
Yes. In my raws the "stone dust" and "soil dust" have different names. Boiling Magma and Boiling Soilmagma. It's just the basic code converting falling material to its gaseous state.

Hmm apparently the Plains Beetles (created for farming of chitin) are very resistant to wooden bolts. My noob hunters will get lots of skill-ups.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 12:03:07 am by TomiTapio »

dimosa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

For all who are interested here is a modefied version of dwarf fortress genesis, that changes the game into orc fortress, the orcs are the main playable race now. this is not just the visuals but also most names, and certain workshop items etc. The is currently version 0.9, this means that most things are working, only certain things in the naming is not correctly done yet.

Features

Changelog

Download

For any suggestions, just pm me.

Credits go mostly towards Deon, TomiTapio and toady for creating dwarf fortress and the genesis mod.

Edited
« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 05:20:59 am by dimosa »
For the latest orc fortress got to http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=4529
All tips and suggestions are welcome!

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile

And TomiTapio since a big chunk of Genesis is his doing. And other people in Credits :).

I will try it when I get time. I will also put Tomi's and your version in the first post.

P.S. The first post now has a section for tweaks and mods based on Genesis in the beginning, after the "official" versions' links :).
« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 03:28:18 am by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository
Pages: 1 ... 490 491 [492] 493 494 ... 642