Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 489 490 [491] 492 493 ... 642

Author Topic: [40.24] ۩۩۩ Genesis Mod ۩۩۩ [ϟ .11c Old Genesis ϟ] - 0.40.25 update by TomiTapio  (Read 1232681 times)

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos

I've just remembered a huge problem which I was going to fix... and immediately forgot. I need your help, I am a bit tired here :).
P.S. Ah, I wanted to change the coverage of items to make possible opportunuty strikes though armor, and also NERF goddamn robes and cloaks. Yeah, thanks god I remembered that! :D
Hey man... I've already done that. Nerfed robe and cloak. Added ChainMail Mittens (from some thread). Tuned maces based on adventuring.
Got Masked helmets at 100% and other helms at 80% (spear to face). You want chainmail and breastplate at 95% instead of 100% coverage?
Just merge/approve my latest raws into your folder (takes 1.5 hours maybe). And then do test-embarks to see the new minerals.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8967397/Genesis_3.25dTT_Ironhand__WarDomestics_June14.zip
--June 14: boosted standard bone's toughness a little bit, hope to see less shake-tear limb removal.
reduced platinum to value 40, have veins of it now.
pitchblende is slightly more common, and value 3 because it's pretty (and rarity value).
also, removed bite can_latch from some critters, so small asp snakes and flayer facetentacles can't shake-tear.

How about five classes of leather instead of current two:
1. cat/rat/bird and human (new puny leather, should SUCK as armor but make nice bags and fair pants)
2. cows and other real-world leathers (have already)
3. tough leather (beasts, have already)
4. doubletough leather (like tough leather, but supposedly twice as thick, maybe "multilayer leather" armor)
5. ultra leather (dragons, wurms)

I'm thinking of strengthening the default BONES so less shake-tear Limb-B-Gon... Yes, I'll do that now.

Edit: on the "problems to fix" front.. some critters need icons, like faedog (green/cyan please), spirit raven (shimmering aura pls), pekyt thickskin sheep.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 05:04:11 pm by TomiTapio »
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Cody1750

• Bay Watcher
  • The Adventurer
    • View Profile

Wanted to say good job on Genesis. Makes adventure mode much more dangerous and fun.  Keep up the good work.
Dieing is easy, living is the hard part.
Cacame Awemedinade, Elven Dwarf King, the universes awesomest elf ever.  Follower of The Way of Axe, Blood and Coal
If your armor was 50% as good as two other civs and 30% as good as a third, do you really think you'd do well in war? That'd be like trying to engage a rocket-launcher mounted Humvee with a pistol riding a tricycle.

Thundercraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

How about five classes of leather instead of current two:
1. cat/rat/bird and human (new puny leather, should SUCK as armor but make nice bags and fair pants)
2. cows and other real-world leathers (have already)
3. tough leather (beasts, have already)
4. doubletough leather (like tough leather, but supposedly twice as thick, maybe "multilayer leather" armor)
5. ultra leather (dragons, wurms)

I like the idea, in principle, but I'm not sure how that would work in terms of game balance.

However, I am very much against the idea of making humanoid skin (dwarf/human/elf/goblin) the weakest on the list, in the same category as cat/rat/bird. Perhaps you missed my post earlier?:

...If a demigod no-armor human can't survive bogeymen... and bogeymen are quite uneditable... should boost all editable humanoids? I just change death-by-bleeding to a little bit sooner.
Boosting all humanoids might be good, particularly if it means surviving more hits. But I hope that does not mean werewolves and other invading humanoids will inflict more damage in attacks.

Perhaps you could create another skin slightly above regular SKIN, but significantly less than TOUGHSKIN and give this "BUFFSKIN" to all humanoids? So it'd be like wearing leather armor. But then would you have to boost some of the armors to compensate?

There's always a trade-off, I guess. :( Must be hard for ToadyOne and mod creators to balance everything in a fun and realistic way.

Consider: In your tests you've already determined that a "demigod no-armor human can't survive bogeymen" and you seemed to imply that you found that to be undesirable. And yet, "bogeymen are quite uneditable". That leaves editing humanoids to make them stronger. But, instead, you said you made "death-by-bleeding to a little bit sooner", which I assume makes humanoids even weaker.

Instead of making humanoids dish out more damage to be able to hurt bogeymen, the only logical alternative I can think of is to make them tougher. And one way to do that is to give them tougher skin. So why not give them category 2 skin, instead of pathetic category 1?

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile

I was talking about leather armor pieces. Cow leather is totally better for armor than human and elf leather.
A herd of pet rabbits should NOT become equally good leather armor as a group of cows.

Consider: In your tests you've already determined that a "demigod no-armor human can't survive bogeymen" and you seemed to imply that you found that to be undesirable. And yet, "bogeymen are quite uneditable". That leaves editing humanoids to make them stronger. But, instead, you said you made "death-by-bleeding to a little bit sooner", which I assume makes humanoids even weaker.
Instead of making humanoids dish out more damage to be able to hurt bogeymen, the only logical alternative I can think of is to make them tougher. And one way to do that is to give them tougher skin. So why not give them category 2 skin, instead of pathetic category 1?
The skins and leathers are independent materials.
Damn bogeymen dodge attacks way too much I say. A demigod/seasonedhero should be wading through them like they were leatherarmored goblin peasants. But I won't boost edged weapons.
By making everything bleed a little bit more, the bogeymen (and adventurer, and wildlife) die sooner from multiple hits. If I boost skin and other tissuematerials, obviously the bogeymen become tougher too. One solution is to use the default materials ONLY for the hardcoded FB & Bogey creatures, and every animal and humanoid use our tuned materials.
And this was about "hey Deon, should we have 5 leather types instead of two."

Ok back to L.A. Noire streetcrimes grinding. http://twitter.com/Tomi_Tapio
« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 07:56:35 pm by TomiTapio »
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile

About bogeymen: bite them.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile

One of the Rutherers (came as a demon mount) I caught in my traps has given birth to two babies :3
Too bad my fortress is going down in a tantrum spiral >.> I think i'll move the tanner who 'doesn't care anymore' and the slightly content armor-smith with the rutherer babies (:3) to a new safe area of the fort while the rest of the dwarves kill each other. Half of them has gone stark raving mad anyway.

EDIT: Of the three 'chosen ones' only the tanner still lives. She now lives with the Rutherers in an area containing the furniture, food and weapon stockpiles and the farms. I wonder how long this is going to last >.<

PS: Is it possible to change the name of peanut seeds to peanuts? I don't recall ever seeing rock nut seeds so it should be possible
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 09:11:58 am by Dutchling »

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile

I wonder how long this is going to last >.<
PS: Is it possible to change the name of peanut seeds to peanuts? I don't recall ever seeing rock nut seeds so it should be possible
Probably lasts as long as food lasts :) Very hard to reach old age on a dorf. Yousa get migrants soon enough.
Sure, done. Increased their values a bit too, since they're so versatile (oil, soap, flour).

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile

Well, he is in the farm section of the fort so food won't be a problem.
Migrants did shoe up though, and two ambush squads... If the Rutherer and giant bat babies I have are tamable I think I'll go down the caverns with the tanner, otherwise I'll  breach the aquifer and drown everyone. Both options are fun.

Thundercraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I was talking about leather armor pieces. Cow leather is totally better for armor than human and elf leather.
...[snip]
By making everything bleed a little bit more, the bogeymen (and adventurer, and wildlife) die sooner from multiple hits.
Ah, sorry.  :-[  I misunderstood. I thought leather and skin toughness were one and the same.
If I boost skin and other tissuematerials, obviously the bogeymen become tougher too. One solution is to use the default materials ONLY for the hardcoded FB & Bogey creatures, and every animal and humanoid use our tuned materials.
Yes. That's kind of similar to what I was trying to suggest. I just did not word it very well.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile

Fun fact: If you try to carry a caged ice mephit across water you freeze and die but the little bastard is fine after you dig him out. I love this mod and all the exciting new ways to have Fun it provides.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile

Herp derp, today I move to another apartment (room, even) so I will live away from my wife, so I should get a bit more time for modding, so I hope I will update the mod soon :).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile

We are glad you finally took up celibacy in order to mod for us.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

ETV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

About bogeymen: bite them.

Latch on, rip off arm, latch on, rip off leg, boogeyman dies of bleeding.

Play werewolf and do this for extra awesomeness.

On that note, buff werewolves skin or fur, or something really considering they can't use armour they should get some kind of good mitigation for their inherent flaws, perhaps bigger body size or weapon (claws/mouth) velocity and such...
Hello.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile

Well, they are already quite big. They were bigger before, and they were not playing their current role (rushers, medium threat), because they were killing EVERYTHING. They were nerfed and you see them as they are now.

We are glad you finally took up celibacy in order to mod for us.
Heheh, it has nothing to do with celibacy. She will still visit me almost every day to cook and do other fun stuff. I am just hiding from army drafting because I need to finish my diploma first.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

LordRuin

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

I'm having a problem playing your Genesis mod. I've downloaded, and tried Genesis Mod 3.25d with IRONHAND tiles, and then
I tried the one with PHOEBUS tiles. And, I keep getting the same problem. The game crashes my computer when I
"prepare for the journey carefully" high light a dwarf, and press "v" View. This situation also happens when I "e" Embark!. I've only tried
this with Dwarf Fortress mode and not any of the other modes.  :'( I don't know what to do.... Can anyone help?
Pages: 1 ... 489 490 [491] 492 493 ... 642