Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 473 474 [475] 476 477 ... 642

Author Topic: [40.24] ۩۩۩ Genesis Mod ۩۩۩ [ϟ .11c Old Genesis ϟ] - 0.40.25 update by TomiTapio  (Read 1228428 times)

soyweiser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Lol, bargests can ride cave crocs into battle. Bargests do not swim cave crocks do. The crocks path through water, drowing the riders.

Of course, less LOL is that this was their commander and I now have a large group of bargest archers on a large hill overlooking my entrance.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile

The whole "invaders who don't swim riding animals that do swim like cave crocs and giant toads" thing is a vanilla bug. So I don't think it's really possible to fix it.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

soyweiser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You can tame a jabberer, who then still tries to kill everybody...

Garbles

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:height]
    • View Profile

Yeah it kinda sucks that you can't hotwire goblin rides.

First year in Irongorge was pretty quiet, with only vanilla roaming creatures. In the middle of winter I had a harmless but jarring invasion of mosswines, who were the advance wave for baggis, who killed all my ferrets. Next spring I got sieged by goblins. Now in summer I just broke the beak dog siege, only to be ambushed by goblins again. I have a feeling I'm going to have more corpses than I know what to do with.

EDIT: Two gravioses wandered into the fort (!!!) and decided to camp out in the (currently empty) barracks. I hadn't finished WTFing before a frost wyrm showed up. This might be bad.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 09:12:36 pm by Garbles »

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile

2 gravioses? I have a feeling we're not using the same MHU pack. I'm using the Normal Mode pack because I am too wimpy to deal with Hard Mode.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Torgan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I tried that with a voracious cave crawler that was previously used as a mount for a goblin, Tomi said there's no point taming them as they remain hostile. 

I think it's always been an issue that if you tame a creature that's killed one of your dwarfs he'll still be hostile after being tamed.

Garbles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

2 gravioses? I have a feeling we're not using the same MHU pack. I'm using the Normal Mode pack because I am too wimpy to deal with Hard Mode.
Yeah, I installed the hard modes of MHU and FD, because, why not? Fortunately they stayed in the barracks breaking all the stone furniture long enough for my two militiatauri to finish getting sutured in the hospital. The white one got decapitated on his way to the dining room, but the black one lasered them both. Fortunately he was passing out from pain, and an unarmed engraver was able to gore it to death. I started to think that perhaps giving playable races gore attacks removed too much !!fun!!, but then a moody minotaur I had forgotten about went insane and killed four of his friends.
I tried that with a voracious cave crawler that was previously used as a mount for a goblin, Tomi said there's no point taming them as they remain hostile. 

I think it's always been an issue that if you tame a creature that's killed one of your dwarfs he'll still be hostile after being tamed.
I think the problem is that they are still members of the enemy civilization. Usually when I capture mounts it's because I let them get inside to keep their archer riders from being effective, so they haven't even seen anyone from my fort till they get dragged to the cage pile.

vaderflag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

An update on the gelatinous cubes that wreaked havoc on my cavern patrollers.

They were successfully caged and (!!) tamed, and chained up topside to keep an eye out for ambushes.

After fighting over several sieges without any help from the military, my militia commander, in a fit of jealousy, had them both pitted into a pool of lava.

And there, for the last two seasons, they have remained. Alive. Burning, eternally(?). Will check back periodically to see whether they are ever consumed by the flames. Armok help the fortress if they ever find their way out.

Garbles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

They were successfully caged and (!!) tamed, and chained up topside to keep an eye out for ambushes.

After fighting over several sieges without any help from the military, my militia commander, in a fit of jealousy, had them both pitted into a pool of lava.

And there, for the last two seasons, they have remained. Alive. Burning, eternally(?). Will check back periodically to see whether they are ever consumed by the flames. Armok help the fortress if they ever find their way out.

Damn. That's a pretty harsh punishment. It sounds like one of those Greek myths where some mortal blasphemes and claims to be the best at something, only to suffer eternally at the hands of the patron god/goddess responsible for that something.

Don't let the Dwarf Mode forums find out about this if they turn out to be magma-proof, they'll throw a hissy.

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos

Someone might want to try a magic dwarf caste with that same 5000 thickness of skin, and toss them in the volcano. ([SELECT_TISSUE:SKIN][RELATIVE_THICKNESS:5000] is the code)

I'm researching more new trees to add... really gotta have Elm, Ebony, Sycamore! Ebony density 1.2 instead of cheap wood's 0.45. http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/wood-density-d_40.html
Need to know how elite the tree is for furniture, how dense, and what biomes approximately. I've reduced the elite trees' frequency significantly, I'd like some incentive for "separate stockpile of this area's elite hardwood for the carpenter".
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 07:46:37 pm by TomiTapio »
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Thundercraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Gelatinous Cubes R Munchkin & Bodark is TOUGH Stuff
« Reply #7120 on: May 20, 2011, 08:30:45 pm »

They were successfully caged and (!!) tamed... [snip]
[snip]...in a fit of jealousy, had them both pitted into a pool of lava.

And there, for the last two seasons, they have remained. Alive. Burning, eternally(?).

To me, this clearly illustrates a case where a creature has been made so invulnerable to the point of being munchkin or ridiculously over-the-top. Blob-types are usually tough enough to kill already (no head, vunerable areas, etc.) without such thick skin.

I'm researching more new trees to add... really gotta have Elm, Ebony, Sycamore! Ebony density 1.2 instead of cheap wood's 0.45. http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/wood-density-d_40.html
Need to know how elite the tree is for furniture, how dense, and what biomes approximately.

I realize that Genesis already has Ironwood. And I'm not sure what new trees have been added recently. But have you considered adding Bodark (also known as Osage-orange, Horse-apple, and Bois D'Arc) ?

The heavy, close-grained yellow-orange wood is very dense and is prized for tool handles, treenails, fence posts, electrical insulators, and other applications requiring a strong dimensionally stable wood that withstands rot. Straight-grained osage timber (most is knotty and twisted) makes very good bows. In Arkansas, in the early 19th century, a good Osage bow was worth a horse and a blanket...

This tree grows around here and I can tell from first hand experience that it is one of the toughest natural materials on the planet! Seriously, locals here know that it would be pointless to try to use a chainsaw on a well-seasoned piece of bodark. You'd just be ruining a good chain. Farmers here often cut down bodark trees when they're still green in order to make fence posts. And these posts last for many decades. The saying goes that a bodark post will outlast your fence. The only problem is that bodark trees are naturally twisted and knotted, so getting even 1 straight fence post may not be possible.

In fact, the material is so tough that there is a company which uses bodark wood to make bearings for huge rollers - the type which is used to flatten recently plowed fields. These rollers can weight about a ton... literally. And steel bearings just wear out too fast!

Morwaul

• Bay Watcher
  • ..............boo
    • View Profile

For Tomi

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos

No, didn't consider Osage as I didn't encounter it on the "best woods explained" sites.
Yep, Osage-orange seems pretty tough, and 935 density is double that of regular wood. IRL it's not used for furniture due to the twisted trunks. So it won't make elite whiskey barrels for dorfs.
http://www.wood-database.com/lumber-identification/hardwoods/osage-orange/
"Osage Orange trees are a magnet for every squirrel in the neighborhood. " hehee

Thanks for the charts Morwaul, but I won't be adding per-tree armor durability numbers. Almost all of that toughness chart seems to be Goodwoods. I got three categories: vanilla DF's wood (pine, fir etc), fairwood (cypress redcedar beech), goodwood (furniture makers' favorites). I think I'll put OO in the Goodwood category but only value2, fine but not mahogany. Should make great bolts and trapcomps.

Edit: some more additions... tree colours and tiles are whatever and ascii:
« Last Edit: May 21, 2011, 10:41:31 am by TomiTapio »
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

TheIcelandicManiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I need help with Blast furnices.

I have 217 coke bars 300 iron bars and loads of limonite(fluxstone) and yet it wont let me make 6 steel bar reaction.
am i doing something wrong?

it just says reqiers fule
« Last Edit: May 21, 2011, 03:53:09 pm by TheIcelandicManiac »
Urist McHappy has entered a fit of euphoria!
Urist McHappy hugs the Fish Cleaner in the upper body, jamming his love through the brain and warming his callous heart!
The Fish Cleaner has been taught the value of friendship!
Sigged

Morwaul

• Bay Watcher
  • ..............boo
    • View Profile

uhm...limonite is iron....limestone is flux
Pages: 1 ... 473 474 [475] 476 477 ... 642