Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 456 457 [458] 459 460 ... 642

Author Topic: [40.24] ۩۩۩ Genesis Mod ۩۩۩ [ϟ .11c Old Genesis ϟ] - 0.40.25 update by TomiTapio  (Read 1229248 times)

Selenite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Alright why do i have massive veins of blue crystal? its like normal stone and i though it would hide an adamantine spire or something but no its just leaving behind massive amounts of blue crystal.

How are you guys losing your forts so soon? i only lose mine when i try to fight but if i wanted to the hostiles will never get in due to walls and a drawbridge which was mandatory since the orcs mod. I have 2 squads equipped with steel/bronze/masterful leather armor and some weapon/cage trap layers so the next siege is going to have some fun when my dwarves pour fourth with steel halberds and axes shining and masterful bronze breastplates gleaming while my ranged squad takes pot shots from the crenelations.

I friggin love the bees now--i built 14 hives and now their all full of bees so i'm going to have a thriving honey economy as i retake the caverns and build impressive outposts in the depths! I plan on eventually abandoning the top layers and moving deeper into the caverns leaving behind a massive tale of wealth and eventual degradation for history to see.

Massive veins of blue crystal?
Well, Deon said he increased the veins for future reactions.

And I, sadly, am just not badass enough to have this much Fun.

I appreciate 80% of this mod.  And it's a good 80%.  But I'm also a realism hound, and some of the things in Genesis are hard for the sake of being hard, like the Raptors.

Speaking of Raptors, asdfgh, where are you? I'm having issues getting their populations to stay good until the year 1050 in their outdoor environments.  It is actually the case that, when examining legends mode, that I have more Dragon Raptors than Raptors!

That's certainly unexpected and, being a realism hound, I can't abide having the special strong version being more common than the supposedly more populous normal version! What would cause a creature with [POPULATION_NUMBER:1:3] to be over 10x more common in the wild than a creature with [POPULATION_NUMBER:15:30], when by looking at the numbers it should be the other way around?

Oh..man raptors...So much memories of them.

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos

I am about to start my first fortress in this any advice as to how to start ?
Well... http://df-genesis.wikidot.com/tips-and-advice
http://df-genesis.wikidot.com/
prepare for early 15-goblin siege, and year 4 siege of three squads of enemies on mounts. I recommend a corridor of traps.

No war mephits, they're disobedient pets. Their function is to cause mayhem (Noooo my beard's on fire!) (why is this acid dissolving our clothes?) now that obsidian dorfs don't throw fireballs.
You can chain mephits like guard dogs.

That's certainly unexpected and, being a realism hound, I can't abide having the special strong version being more common than the supposedly more populous normal version! What would cause a creature with [POPULATION_NUMBER:1:3] to be over 10x more common in the wild than a creature with [POPULATION_NUMBER:15:30], when by looking at the numbers it should be the other way around?
If one omits the FREQUENCY tag, it is the same as freq 50 (on 1-100 scale, 100 being commonest spawn). Plus, being trainable, some civ might farm them like pigs.
And during long history, random heroes might have slain a load of raptors, reducing their numbers.
My raptors [FREQUENCY:14]   [POPULATION_NUMBER:3:20]   [CLUSTER_NUMBER:3:7] (might be possible that pop1 means "one clusterful", thus 3*3 to 20*7 total raptor count)
my DR [FREQUENCY:6]    [POPULATION_NUMBER:1:3]  [CLUSTER_NUMBER:1:3]
but indeed they are bloody dangerous, unicorn-speed crocodile-like-bite madbirds. And in DF universe, the one who gets first strike (due to faster speed) has a big advantage.

How are you guys losing your forts so soon? i only lose mine when i try to fight but if i wanted to the hostiles will never get in due to walls and a drawbridge which was mandatory since the orcs mod. I
Some of us want more challenge and don't want "outdoors walled off, we are safe". My forts have a fps/boredom death at 40-70 fps. Then I roll a new one and try top fine-tune the creatures I encounter there.
Earliest fort loss this month: embark, raptors, pile of dead dorfs.

Is it possible that due to their natural rage, they're getting themselves into trouble and getting killed off?
It is only known to Toady what rage-param does in worldgen. Or the code for savage areas biases larger beasts.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 03:09:12 am by TomiTapio »
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile

You've been doing work on frequency tags, Tomi.  I've been working on Population numbers.  So the Frequency tags are actually the same as the one you just released, while the population is different.

I thought of the civ angle.  I thought that possibly, some civilization had been training and keeping all of the outdoor roaming raptors, and that's why there were so few of them in comparison to the Dragon Raptors.  But that isn't the case in that the Site populations show 0 Raptors, and 0 Deaths of Raptors in battle.  There are a few Raptor historical figs, but remarkably it seems that very few people have ever died in these worlds from a raptor attack.  Maybe 15 overall in 1050 years.

Is it possible that due to their natural rage, they're getting themselves into trouble and getting killed off?
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

Elone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Speaking of Raptors, asdfgh, where are you?

If you catch her, send her my way. But judging from amount of her profile visits, her PC fried; though I hope not! Hopefully she's just been busy! I even tried drawing her to lure her back, but... naaaaw. She wouldnt wanna see it, totally definitely. Yeah. Too bad. Though a bit imperfect, it was a nice one, and she's missing out. And here I had thought that she would be more curious. Oh well. I'll tuck it away somewhere that I consider safe, and hoooopefully not lose it by the time she returns; though, if she takes too long... yup. And later I will put my ming vase next to my entrance door, on the swivel side.

Oh well, back to hoping and missing her.
▼ It's all their fault. ▼

Renzuko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

so, the blast furnace...is friggin huge, but i like it lol, streamlines steel production, whereas in vanilla i had 3 different smelters being worked by 3 guys to make steel, now i just need one lol
« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 12:26:40 pm by Renzuko »

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile

does a magma blast furnace need more then one area under it with magma? i have ONE channeled tile under its massiveness with magma, but no, it still says it requires fuel...im even making more with a charcoal furnace, but still nothin
Sometimes workshops refuse to do reactions because the components are too far (6 iron, 4 coal & 3 flux stones in this case.) Happens especially with soap-shop and alchemy-shop.

I like to have 2 charcoal furnaces, 3 smelters, 2 hardening forges, 2 crucibles. I don't use the blast furnace much because... what if you have only 5 iron, blast furnace refuses any work.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 12:32:29 pm by TomiTapio »
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image

Renzuko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

lol yeah, but about that, i had stockpiles for all the mats right next to my magma makin way, but after i made some extra's it finally did it

arghy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Alright so now theres 'coarse iron' and i have alot of it but when i tell the blast furnaces to 'use bars' they cant--do i need to harden it before they'll use it to make steel?

Renzuko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

yup, that's something i learnt too

also, blarg! is there something up with mastiff's?

FIVE litters...of one puppy a piece, and each one was male

Coco146

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

a question if i may.  How exactly does the ironworks work?  I'm not exactly sure, see i'm pretty much a noob, so what is the fastest way to get weapon/armour quality iron?

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile

a question if i may.  How exactly does the ironworks work?  I'm not exactly sure, see i'm pretty much a noob, so what is the fastest way to get weapon/armour quality iron?
Check http://df-genesis.wikidot.com/metals for reference.
Basically, smelt the ore at smelter using charcoal, hammer/harden it at a finishing forge (this step in not in Vanilla) and there's your iron.
If you have flux stones, make steel from iron at crucible. If re-smelt half of your iron into pig iron, hammer the iron+pigiron into steel.

also, blarg! is there something up with mastiff's? FIVE litters...of one puppy a piece, and each one was male
Well if you have five bitches and some males, you get five litters when it's the season for it. Just random chance you got all male puppies. Also mastiffs make fewer offspring than pigs.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 04:39:14 pm by TomiTapio »

arghy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Alright why the hell can void masters spew dragon fire? also holy shit DEMONS. My pastures were set alight and my honey economy went up in fire while animal after animal burned up all because a void master spewed a massive gout of dragon fire. Then a demon ambush came and instantly killed some poor sod who was collecting the centaur corpses by the weapon traps. The void master was also getting his ass handed to him by abunch of chickens until he grabbed one and sucked all the blood out of it.

My army did a great job except i lost 4-5 to random suffocations and freezing deaths which seemed very odd.

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile

Illithids are Psionic.  So I would imagine that is an example of their Pyrokinesis.

There is a reason I don't play with Illithids, either in Genesis or in DnD.  They ruled half the multiverse for a reason, and for some reason they don't anymore? But still have all the powers they once did? I cry shenanigans!
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

ShoesandHats

• Bay Watcher
  • Shoes cancels Drink: Intensified by Penguin Man.
    • View Profile

No really, I actually kind of need help with this. Why are all the villagers attacking me after I finish a quest for them?

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile

Was the quest to kill a demon or something? Was the target in a house?
If so, then you, sir, have experienced the Civil War bug, thought by about 2 people to be the greatest bug of DF.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."
Pages: 1 ... 456 457 [458] 459 460 ... 642