Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 443 444 [445] 446 447 ... 642

Author Topic: [40.24] ۩۩۩ Genesis Mod ۩۩۩ [ϟ .11c Old Genesis ϟ] - 0.40.25 update by TomiTapio  (Read 1229902 times)

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
Re: ۩۩۩ ஃ Genesis Mod ஃ ۩۩۩ [ϟ 3.25c ϟ] - animal sounds plus a fix
« Reply #6660 on: April 20, 2011, 08:39:32 pm »

You know, after playing around with multiple mods on at once, having some animals be ASCII while others have pictures doesn't bother me so much.  In fact, it makes me more upset when a graphics tile sucks badly.

"YOU MEAN I COULD BE LOOKING AT A 'C', AND INSTEAD I'M GIVEN THIS CRAP?!"
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

rainekage

• Bay Watcher
  • Has no ASCII designation
    • View Profile
« Reply #6661 on: April 20, 2011, 09:13:34 pm »

Okay, I'll admit I'm new to raw editing (Notepad++ will undoubtedly make it way easier, though).  To make sure, exactly what do I replace [GRASSTRAMPLE:0] with?  Do I just try to blank it?

Sorry for such a simple question.

asfghn

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:erratic nature]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6662 on: April 20, 2011, 09:33:17 pm »

(Notepad++ will undoubtedly make it way easier, though)
Thank goodness I'm not the only loser with vanilla Notepad! :P

But to answer your question, I tend to replace tags with spaces. Literally spaces. So, "replace [GRASSTRAMPLE:0] with ' '".

Doesn't seem to break anything, though it makes raws a little messy... ::) But then I'm pretty OCD! It drives me nuts, for instance, that some of the Genesis raws aren't indented, yet I lack the time to go through and indent every... single... line... which reminds me:

I can't imagine how long would it take to make it in notepad.exe, one file at a time.
It takes forever, which is why before the discovery of WinMerge I was always so reluctant to update to the latest vanilla and Genesis versions alike, knowing that I would have to go through every creature_n.txt and add in or remove or replace [PET] tags and [TRAINABLE] tags and [COMMON_DOMESTIC] tags and so on. WinMerge literally turned a job that took 3+ hours into one that takes maybe 20 minutes, if I'm distracted. :)

I got Notepad++ but haven't gotten a chance to mess with it much yet. I'm a huge zombie fan so I'm actually checking out Rogue Survivor, which I had somehow managed to completely overlook before—I've seen your mod banner in your signature for ages, Deon, but since it was hosted on DFFD I figured it was a DF overhaul mod, and those aren't ordinarily my cup of tea (I like to keep my adventurers adventuring and my fortresses... fortressing?)
GENESIS: HARDCORE.
Kat has been ecstatic lately. She has slept in a fine bed recently. She has talked with a friend recently. She has captured monsters for her pocket recently. She has been bored recently.
She is a member of the Sand Fleas.
She likes gypsum, jade, emerald, violence, horrific monsters, fire and werewolves for their sweet nature.
When possible, she prefers to consume peach tea or Pepsi.

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6663 on: April 20, 2011, 09:51:37 pm »

Notepad++ trick:

From the Find In Files dialog box, fill out the following:

Search: [GRASSTRAMPLE:0]\r\n
Replace: (leave this completely blank)
Filter: *.txt
Directory: full qualified path to DF's objects folder (ie, c:\program files\DF\raw\objects)

Under Search Mode, select "Extended (\n, \r, \t, \x, \0 ...)"

Now click Replace In Files.

There are other tricks you OCD types can perform to further clean up your raw files without changing it's meanings or anything like that.

To trim End of Line tabs -
Search: \t\r\n
Replace \r\n

To trim End of Line spaces -
Search:  \r\n (that's <space bar>\r\n)
Replace: \r\n

To get rid of redundant line breaks -
Search: \r\n\r\n\r\n
Replace: \r\n\r\n
The above gets rid of any redundant returns more than 2 long (doublespaced).  You may need to apply it many times over before it stops replacing it.

ALSO!!!

Notepad++ contains a very capable file comparator.  Load up the two files you wish to compare.  Right-Click on the tab of one of them and select "move to other view".  Now press Alt-C.  Alt-Shift-C will clear it an allow you to return to normal editing.
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #6664 on: April 20, 2011, 10:02:22 pm »

I like to put comments in the raws, so other people can understand why I changed something. I suppose Deon likes to keep the raws comment-free, but Toady Himself has comments in there.

Things like
--xx todo (it is important for a programmer to return to places sie has marked with TODO)
[NATURAL_SKILL:BITE:4] --nerfed now that it is trainable.
[FREQUENCY:2] --thus very rare to catch and tame
[FREQUENCY:14] --10 was too rare, damagazelle
[TRAPAVOID] --extremely well trained fighter

Deon, please give us Genesis players some clothes-burning reactions.
Either "burn silk items" &  "burn plant fiber items" at kiln or woodfurnace, or
"burn socks" "burn shoes" "burn tunics" "burn mittens" etc.

A fort should not suffer the indignities of goblin socks and elven pointy caps! Might even want to destroy inferior leather items a novice leatherworker made.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 10:38:35 pm by TomiTapio »
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Deadbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6665 on: April 20, 2011, 11:06:24 pm »

Just [d->d]ump them and let your friend magma do the rest.
Quote from: chmod
SEX AND HAPPINESS NOW REPORTING CORRECTLY!

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #6666 on: April 21, 2011, 12:10:11 am »

Sometimes the magma is on level -80 and the fort on -3. That's 130+ steps one direction for one sock. You could build an anti-sock kiln in the middle of battlefield.
And you can roll worlds that have no magma (no caves -> higher fps)
(I've had magma sea at high -16 to -20 and low -74 to -78)

Good suggestion for magmaworks-having forts, thanks. Added your tip to http://df-genesis.wikidot.com/tips-and-advice

And then the alternate suggestion to Deon: recycle silk items into silk thread, and same for fiber.

Edit4: How wildlife conspires against dwarvenkind: raccoon http://www.flickr.com/photos/ehambrick/5638177483/

Edit5: Armormyths continues to prosper...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 01:57:29 am by TomiTapio »
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #6667 on: April 21, 2011, 02:30:34 am »

Sometimes the magma is on level -80 and the fort on -3. That's 130+ steps one direction for one sock. You could build an anti-sock kiln in the middle of battlefield.
And you can roll worlds that have no magma (no caves -> higher fps)
(I've had magma sea at high -16 to -20 and low -74 to -78)
You still get the bridges, so I don't see a gameplay reason why should I have another job which grabs totally random item (which may be useful otherwise, unless you dabble with burrows) instead of just dumping the stuff in a hole with a bridge, pretending it's a garbage compactor.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

asfghn

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:erratic nature]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6668 on: April 21, 2011, 03:12:24 am »

You seem to have a problem with socks... :P

(I'm kidding. Again.)

Oh my God, THANK YOU Jeoshua, you have made all my crazed little OCDster dreams come true. ;A;

Also, since I don't know how many of you would find it otherwise (I know I didn't, until I made a suggestion in the first succession game thread): Foundboulder, the second Genesis succession game, since pieisgoo may or may not be dead for some time. :(
GENESIS: HARDCORE.
Kat has been ecstatic lately. She has slept in a fine bed recently. She has talked with a friend recently. She has captured monsters for her pocket recently. She has been bored recently.
She is a member of the Sand Fleas.
She likes gypsum, jade, emerald, violence, horrific monsters, fire and werewolves for their sweet nature.
When possible, she prefers to consume peach tea or Pepsi.

rainekage

• Bay Watcher
  • Has no ASCII designation
    • View Profile
« Reply #6669 on: April 21, 2011, 05:51:41 am »

Thank you as well Jeoshua, finally, my grass will survive!

Embarking in a Freezing wilderness mountain range, with volcano and frozen river.  Have a couple squares of haunted glacier, so not ruling out frozen undead Fun.  Pretty much no soil, which I was hoping for (Burrow down a layer beneath, dig to caverns,..., Profit!).

I predict Fun.  Lots of Fun.

Update: This is the first, and maybe only time, but I miss ice dwarves at the moment.  I'd suggest take out gloomers, because they have generally bad stats and no real bonuses, but I like the idea of a caste of social pariahs too much to suggest it seriously.

Do any dwarven castes right now have any kind of temperature protection?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 09:08:32 am by rainekage »

Torgan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6670 on: April 21, 2011, 07:41:58 am »

Not as far as I know, it was removed as giving it to a caste gave it to the whole race.  That's why obsidians aren't fire immune anymore.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6671 on: April 21, 2011, 07:53:59 am »

Not as far as I know, it was removed as giving it to a caste gave it to the whole race.
Is it reported as bug on mantis? (immune+caste, caste, immune searches failed).
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

Phoebus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6672 on: April 21, 2011, 09:37:02 am »

Notepad++ contains a very capable file comparator.  Load up the two files you wish to compare.  Right-Click on the tab of one of them and select "move to other view".  Now press Alt-C.  Alt-Shift-C will clear it an allow you to return to normal editing.
Omg! It's full of stars!

(The shortcuts are Alt-D & Ctrl-Alt-D in my version.)

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #6673 on: April 21, 2011, 09:53:13 am »

Not as far as I know, it was removed as giving it to a caste gave it to the whole race.
Is it reported as bug on mantis? (immune+caste, caste, immune searches failed).
It's not a bug, it's just about creature-level tokens.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

RaidSoft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6674 on: April 21, 2011, 06:05:32 pm »

This is weird, I changed the raws in my data\save\region1\raw\objects folder for my save, opened ALL the files there with Notepad++ and did replace [GRASSTRAMPLE:0] in all open documents with an empty field. This didn't seem to actually have any effect on the game though, animals are starving now since they trample away all the grass instantly still before they can even eat it...

Do I need to start a new game and change the raws in my raw\objects folder before doing so? (I did the same thing there as well though)
Pages: 1 ... 443 444 [445] 446 447 ... 642