Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 440 441 [442] 443 444 ... 642

Author Topic: [40.24] ۩۩۩ Genesis Mod ۩۩۩ [ϟ .11c Old Genesis ϟ] - 0.40.25 update by TomiTapio  (Read 1230021 times)

rainekage

• Bay Watcher
  • Has no ASCII designation
    • View Profile
Re: ۩۩۩ ஃ Genesis Mod ஃ ۩۩۩ [ϟ 3.25c ϟ] - animal sounds plus a fix
« Reply #6615 on: April 19, 2011, 01:32:37 am »

Hmm.  It's been a few months since I've adventured as an Illithid.  I recall asking lots of questions before, like, "what kind of weapon is a reaper sword, or Dimension zero?  What about sprout?"  Won't ask those again - I recall dimension zero being a blunt attack, etc.

But there seems to be new properties.  Before, sprout would inject "Illithid toxin", and we talked about how weak it was (it literally would do nothing); is that the case?  Also, the reaper sword now injects "doom".  The last time I've heard of doom, it was during the short-lived Doom Dwarf and their ability to melt enemies by stinging them (Aspids are back to paralyzing, right?).

I was thinking Doom would do that, but is it a paralyzing toxin as well?  It hasn't done much so far.

Sorry if this was covered while I was inactive!

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #6616 on: April 19, 2011, 01:44:00 am »

Quick question, Tomi—probably a really easy fix that I'm just not seeing (having gone cross-eyed by now trying to figure it out), but your faedogs aren't showing up on embark. Is there a reason for this that I missed in the thread somewhere? :o
But huh, I didn't know that about the prefix 'cata-'! I was just thinking catamount, as in the alternate name for puma/cougar/mountain lion. :P You really do learn something new every day!
The lack of faedogs puzzles me also. They're totally a copy of bulldogs. Then again some animals just won't show up often in embark, like mammoth and GCSw. Maybe the world has run out of them, them being rare. I'll add a biome to my faedogs. Wait, thay already have one -- good areas only. I guess dorf civs are never on good areas!
(Edit5: now they show up, 851 points on embark. Also a super rare too-pricy-to-purchase mutant caste, which occurs in the wild, and in breeding.)

Sorry about that, "cata-" means "down" or "wrongly", as in cata-strophe (downturn). catapult, down hurl.
All is "omni-", "pan-".

Hmm.  It's been a few months since I've adventured as an Illithid.  I recall asking lots of questions before, like, "what kind of weapon is a reaper sword, or Dimension zero?  What about sprout?"  Won't ask those again - I recall dimension zero being a blunt attack, etc.
Only Void Master caste has the r-sword and d-zero. They're body parts.
DOOM is 300% paralysis, [CE_PARALYSIS:SEV:300:PROB:100:START:0:PEAK:10] but for only 10 ticks. Don't know if 10 ticks is long enough to die of suffocation.
d-zero seems to be just a punch with edge tag. Like scratching.

Deon: my custom creatures file from september 2009, for your "DF Complete" mod. Also had werebear and snow troll.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 02:02:54 am by TomiTapio »
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #6617 on: April 19, 2011, 01:48:43 am »

Both "shellbear" and "catamantis" sound cool :). I'll credit you.

Yeah Tomi, dwarves cannot use GOOD or EVIL animals unless you give them appropriate tokens (or USE_ANY_PET_RACE).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6618 on: April 19, 2011, 01:50:48 am »

Pah! Dwarves are above silly superstitious notions of 'good' or 'evil'.

Pah, I say!
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

rainekage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6619 on: April 19, 2011, 02:47:41 am »

I realize D-zero and R-sword are Void master only.  I just happen to think void masters are cool.  Really?  They're just a scratch attack?  I've never seen a scratch attack sever limbs like that - maybe they're just so huge and strong that their scratch attack is incredibly deadly by comparison (And has a cool name).

"Touch" has always been incredibly strong as well.  It always amuses me: "You touch so-and-so-'s left upper arm.  The limb sails off in an arc!"

Stupid little story ahead:

« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 05:58:16 am by rainekage »

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #6620 on: April 19, 2011, 06:34:07 am »

I realize D-zero and R-sword are Void master only.  I just happen to think void masters are cool.  Really?  They're just a scratch attack?
"Touch" has always been incredibly strong as well.  It always amuses me: "You touch so-and-so-'s left upper arm.  The limb sails off in an arc!"
D-zero is a punch/stab/slash with a mystical forcefield appendage, an extension of the void master's will.
Touch is now renamed to "claw" in my worlds as it is with super-strong demon nails and edged.

Deon: reindeer are quite purple-brown and therefore look like zombies to me. Ought to be gray-white-black. http://www.ourworldtravels.com/lapland/gallery/poro.html

D-zero being supermagically large 10k-size body part,
[BP:VOID:Dimension Zero:STP][CONTYPE:HEAD][CATEGORY:FORCEFIELD][INTERNAL][SMALL] [DEFAULT_RELSIZE:10000]
1000 is what the fleswarped weapons are.

Yeah two Void Masters should kill a fort if given enough time to do many breath attacks. Think of them as D&D level 17 mages. (squad a,b .. kill list .. see what targets to crush first)

Armormyths is prospering! Logbook here:
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 07:52:11 am by TomiTapio »
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image

rainekage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6621 on: April 19, 2011, 07:14:16 am »

I realize D-zero and R-sword are Void master only.  I just happen to think void masters are cool.  Really?  They're just a scratch attack?
D-zero is a punch/stab/slash with a mystical forcefield appendage, an extension of the void master's will.
Touch is now renamed to "claw" in my worlds as it is with super-strong demon nails and edged.

While that gets rid of the "touch" jokes, it certainly makes sense.  So far D-zero is the only attack I know of you can use in adventure mode that knocks enemies far away on a semi-regular basis.  R-sword seems pretty overpowered, though.  I took down a titan by paralyzing it, which allowed me to slay it at my leisure.

Ultimately, it makes sense to have it though - Void Masters are supposed to be absurdly powerful.  Retired in a Serpent castle, couldn't find anything in my inventory through the coins (and all the titan parts).

RaidSoft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6622 on: April 19, 2011, 01:31:25 pm »

I made myself a video showing what I was talking about with the animals instantly destroying all the grass.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yNN1jj4mhI tell me if that's normal or if that looks weird to anyone else? :P

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #6623 on: April 19, 2011, 04:31:13 pm »

Looks like it's normal for the version that still has the GRASSTRAMPLE (every 10th to 20th move removes grass) on some animals. Yaks eat a lot of grass now that they're GRAZERs.

I tried setting captured thieves to pasture, and haulers let them out, and combat practice ensued. Nice.

Vehine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6624 on: April 19, 2011, 04:57:53 pm »

Speaking of Yaks, is there a reason mine are always jerks? They randomly kick/gore at anything nearby, even eachother, but it's usually just bruising. I keep checking the combat report, thinking that dire wolves might be mauling my fishermen again!

RaidSoft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6625 on: April 19, 2011, 05:10:14 pm »

Looks like it's normal for the version that still has the GRASSTRAMPLE (every 10th to 20th move removes grass) on some animals. Yaks eat a lot of grass now that they're GRAZERs.

I tried setting captured thieves to pasture, and haulers let them out, and combat practice ensued. Nice.

That's from the version which has grasstrample 0 (deons genesis 3.25c Phoebus to be specific) and also as you can see they completely remove the tile on Every step, they didn't do it to this extent in previous versions (deons genesis 3.25 Phoebus) where I could have 10+ animals in one pen that was SMALLER then the one in the video and they didn't use even eat up that much grass...

Lamphare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6626 on: April 19, 2011, 05:52:11 pm »

Cata- prefix means "all" so Catamantis might mean "the mantis of all mantises"...
So like catatonic? Guess you learn something new every day.
And "mantis of mantises/mantii/more than 1 mantis" doesn't sound that bad.
cata- or kata- means down, through, against, or back. so catatonic/catatonia is from cata+tone
checked with dictionary, i guess many latin and greek roots are very obscure...

the root meaning all, iirc, could be omni as in omnivore (from latin), or pan as in pandemic (from greek)
so i guess the more correct form would be panmantis or pamantis.

asfghn

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:erratic nature]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6627 on: April 19, 2011, 06:02:28 pm »

so i guess the more correct form would be panmantis or pamantis.
For an uber-mantid, maybe, but for an insectoid puma/cougar/what-have-you? It loses the power of its punnery. :P

But I'm glad Deon liked it, anyway! :)

Slightly more on-topic, I just discovered that younger worlds have far more volcanoes—but also no copper. Damn and blast. However, being able to flood the world with magma I think is worth the slightly higher cost of cobalt picks and axes. ;D
GENESIS: HARDCORE.
Kat has been ecstatic lately. She has slept in a fine bed recently. She has talked with a friend recently. She has captured monsters for her pocket recently. She has been bored recently.
She is a member of the Sand Fleas.
She likes gypsum, jade, emerald, violence, horrific monsters, fire and werewolves for their sweet nature.
When possible, she prefers to consume peach tea or Pepsi.

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #6628 on: April 19, 2011, 06:49:58 pm »

That's from the version which has grasstrample 0 (deons genesis 3.25c Phoebus to be specific) and also as you can see they completely remove the tile on Every step, they didn't do it to this extent in previous versions (deons genesis 3.25 Phoebus) where I could have 10+ animals in one pen that was SMALLER then the one in the video and they didn't use even eat up that much grass...
Yep, grasstrample:0 sucks. Zero wait time until next grass removal. Edit your save's raws if necessary.

Slightly more on-topic, I just discovered that younger worlds have far more volcanoes—but also no copper. Damn and blast. However, being able to flood the world with magma I think is worth the slightly higher cost of cobalt picks and axes. ;D
Check your worldgen settings' volcano count and volcanism parameters. I use medium region
   [VOLCANISM:0:100:600:600] , mountain [PEAK_NUMBER_MIN:9], [VOLCANO_MIN:15]  at the moment. Try rolling a medium world with 60 volcano count.
Volcanism... voll-canine (full-)..

Glad I'm not crazy :P What do you suggest? Removing the tag from all the animals? or increasing it to some crazy number?
Remove it from all [PET] animals. Grazer tag is enough for "realistic" gameplay. Leave grasstrample in for ogres, dragons, wurms, megabeasts.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 07:07:11 pm by TomiTapio »

RaidSoft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6629 on: April 19, 2011, 07:00:52 pm »

Glad I'm not crazy :P What do you suggest? Removing the tag from all the animals? or increasing it to some crazy number?
Pages: 1 ... 440 441 [442] 443 444 ... 642