Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 435 436 [437] 438 439 ... 642

Author Topic: [40.24] ۩۩۩ Genesis Mod ۩۩۩ [ϟ .11c Old Genesis ϟ] - 0.40.25 update by TomiTapio  (Read 1230250 times)

Raul

• Bay Watcher
  • El Psy Kongroo
    • View Profile
Re: ۩۩۩ ஃ Genesis Mod ஃ ۩۩۩ [ϟ 3.25c ϟ] - animal sounds plus a fix
« Reply #6540 on: April 16, 2011, 06:36:42 pm »

aw man, don't quote giant chunks of text.

Sorry Tomi, I fixed that quote (kinda) :P

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #6541 on: April 16, 2011, 06:38:10 pm »

No worries, Loyal Commander-Angels of Armok.
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Icee77

• Bay Watcher
  • I gave dogs [CAN_LEARN]. What have I DONE?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6542 on: April 16, 2011, 07:48:29 pm »

Is it weird that when I think of an animal sound for elves, all i hear is this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTPxqUtlLdo

Ghundio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6543 on: April 16, 2011, 08:38:58 pm »

I have a very important question, if I just caught a thunderbird can I train it and will it still kill my dwarves if it didn't kill any dwarves when it got here. If I can start a thunderbird breeding program....
Go into your stocks menu. You'll see a masterwork adamantine sword of some kind. Zoom to its location and you'll be directed to the bottom of the curious structure.

Go now and claim what is rightly yours. And watch out for the zombies.

ATR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6544 on: April 16, 2011, 08:44:00 pm »

Hi all. This may have been reported already but it appears there's a bug with hunters picking up arrows when they use an xbow. In my case, they were the rocktip arrows you can make out of the stonecuttery.

Switching ammo is also quite burdensome. You can turn off hunting to make the dwarf dump (well, more like take about 5 mins of gameplay to single handedly haul their quiver, weapon, and any armor to their respected stockpiles. Then forbid the ammo you dont want them picking up, then reassign hunter so they go through the routine all over again. It would be nice if the code allowed the dwarf to check midway through this routine if their hunter job has been enabled again.

Thanks.

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6545 on: April 16, 2011, 08:45:29 pm »

Is it weird that when I think of an animal sound for elves, all i hear is this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTPxqUtlLdo

Yes it's weird, because Elves could never be that groovy.
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

ATR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6546 on: April 16, 2011, 09:17:50 pm »

Ouch, as per in my post above, I believe I may have bugged my hunter now. For a full season he will not pick up bolts. I have 75 bolts available. I believe he may be wishing to pick up the arrows I forbid, so the code made be in error there. Also at the same time, a Thunderbird has been straggling one of my farmers at my front gate for an entire season. A good thing too as I'm only 21 dwarves into the game and only 1 hunter for defense. I'm just waiting for him to get his ass out there and defend me!!! Whats insane is its been so long that my farmer's severed arm has gone rotten, and its spreading miasma all over my bridge, the Thunderbird included. At this point I'm hoping the Thunderbird will die from the poor air quality. Thanks.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2011, 09:20:02 pm by ATR »

Patchouli

• Bay Watcher
  • Where very delicious cake shop?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6547 on: April 16, 2011, 09:48:45 pm »

Finished T.

Only C D and S left. About 650 words.

Any help from others is appreciated.

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #6548 on: April 17, 2011, 12:47:04 am »

I have a very important question, if I just caught a thunderbird can I train it and will it still kill my dwarves if it didn't kill any dwarves when it got here. If I can start a thunderbird breeding program....
If you get one in a cage, you can tame and train it, says the raws. Not sure if it can breed since it's an egglayer.

Archers: Check http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view_all_bug_page.php  filter "arrows" there's many issues there
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=2625
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=1374

a Thunderbird has been straggling one of my farmers at my front gate for an entire season.
Fortress time... 3 months in melee without eating or drinking :-P
And Thunderbirds ever don't have any wrestling skill. Why not put ten non-smith people in squad and have a punch-up?

Edit: I'll try shorter dwarf viewrange in my next fort (sometimes crucial in rush-out-to-enemies foolisheness).
Current raws with scriptorium to ALT_S and moonsilvermaking fixed and shorter viewrange.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8967397/Genesis_3.25c_Ironhand_Tomis_incl_Bonfires_fixes.zip
save-compatible with Genesis 3.25+Tomis+bonfire.

Since metals have been explained for worst to best for armor/weapons/etc, can someone please care to detail which weapons are the best (overall) and best in type (X sword is best for Y, Z mace is best for C)?
I tried myself but the velocity and contact areas tend to confuse me; especially when they end up very similar.
Never use blunt! It's that simple. You want enemy limbs to be chopped off, not bruised bones. Might even be the case that bruises don't cause internal bleeding. And cloaks and robes seem to defend against blunt attacks way too much (conceptual bug, dividing impact to SOFT item's area like it was a breastplate)

I think the baseline is short sword, [ATTACK:EDGE:5000:2000:slash:slashes:NO_SUB:1250]
5000 wide area, 2000 deep cut or penetration, 1250 velocity (can ignore this number most of the time)
Trapcomp giant axe blade: [ATTACK:EDGE:100000:7000:slash:slashes:NO_SUB:1000]. Massively better than sword, right?

I recommend steel exotic edged weapons (which have heavy attack numbers by Deon), axes, and halberds ( [ATTACK:EDGE:23000:3500:slash:slashes:NO_SUB:2000] ) and anyone can do arena test, 20 halberd dorf vs 20 shortsword dorf.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2011, 01:35:25 am by TomiTapio »
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image

DracoGriffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6549 on: April 17, 2011, 01:21:49 am »

Since metals have been explained for worst to best for armor/weapons/etc, can someone please care to detail which weapons are the best (overall) and best in type (X sword is best for Y, Z mace is best for C)?

I tried myself but the velocity and contact areas tend to confuse me; especially when they end up very similar.

asfghn

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:erratic nature]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6550 on: April 17, 2011, 02:37:31 am »

Not sure if it can breed since it's an egglayer.
I have successfully bred my raptors (which I recently modded, adding skill learning and such and so forth) despite being egglayers. The secret seems to be allowing the female to sit on the nest box—my dwarves either wouldn't or were too busy to collect her eggs, and before I knew it I had eight raptor chicks running around. :)

Will comment more in-depth on other in-thread conversations later. Bad day, tired now. Maybe I'll mess around with the arena and make raptors even stronger... :o
GENESIS: HARDCORE.
Kat has been ecstatic lately. She has slept in a fine bed recently. She has talked with a friend recently. She has captured monsters for her pocket recently. She has been bored recently.
She is a member of the Sand Fleas.
She likes gypsum, jade, emerald, violence, horrific monsters, fire and werewolves for their sweet nature.
When possible, she prefers to consume peach tea or Pepsi.

Dwarf13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6551 on: April 17, 2011, 06:48:21 am »

Every egg-layer is breeadble - just build a small room, put male and female, a couple of nest boxes, lock the door and wait. I even bred asps that way! :D

Btw, TomiTapio, did you tweak mineral occurance like metals and such? On Deon's "vanilla" i often struggled for iron on "frequinet minerals" world, often having an embark place saying "Deep metal, shallow metals"  to have cobalt (top layers) + galena (deep below), or galena + silver, and such...
But your raws, man... i've got from the very first embark on terrifying savannah i've got on 3rd layer: Limonite (100% iron ore) + tetrahedrite (100% copper, 20% silver) and gypsum! That was... amazing! Digging futher i've stucked marble on 15+ layer, yay! That's all my beardy dwarfy dreams come true! Now i wouldn't be suprised finding gold\platinum deeper below (not using prospector tool to spoil such fun, but usually i do, when i want an embark with certain metals)

Speaking on weapons - sure edged cut off limbs like crazy, but those mace-wielding gobbo's... Man, i've just had 2x siedge from Centaur archers + Goblin macemen (surprisingly early - like in the middle 2nd year summer) - my military was like 3 dorfs in copper armor + iron\steel weapons (fending off unded while i get my wood), plus i really screwed by second main migrating wave at the start of second year - got only 2\2\2 Hammerer and1\1\1\1  maceman, (but two legendary Doctors, so no whining there ;D ) not even a single smith, (i didn't embark with smithing skills) and the second Steel dwarf was a 6 year old kid... Just Awesome, fun is coming my way  :P  Well, i've got a Steelie from embark, who's been training for a half a year and had like 2\0\3\3 Axeman...

So, like you wrote just above, about the fort challendge (and for more fun) i didnt wall off the outer space, just booby trapped it in 3 circular rows (stone traps to crush undead thingies chasing my peasants, next is Cage traps for random deer and invaider hunting and the third one, the tightest one: cage trapping, for the actual defence\late warning system), sooo, ive hurried inside and armed all capable man (by saying capable i mean at least novice in any battle skill) - so, we're got 7 men armed, partially armored in copper and ready to die trying!

Main Entrance was trapped with only 3x cage 2x 10 copper serrated dics traps, so i've managed to gather my forces while cents and goobos chase and killed my cat and lone wandering  newbie suturder, who drowned with one of the inwaiders, bying precios time for our fortress. We will engrave you name in teh Hall of Honor, sir! Thankfully, gobbos chased him for a half a map, and stood there, while cents rushed in... Traps were slicin', cages dropping from above and lockin' - so only half made it throu and weve butchered, quite a sucsess! But stupid dorfs rushed to a hospital to lay off and let gobbos slaughter the fort, with only myself to blame for designating a hospital area before the battle...

Thankfully, goobbos stood and wait in the corner, giving me time to reload my traps and suture cuts on my warriors (two of them with crutches btw, from previous undead encounters, real Vets!  ;D) Plus two mastiff puppies grown up (the ony battle capable animals i've got left, others protected their owners too well), my newbie smiths made some junky iron brestplates\mails\shields in a hurry... And ofcoure i've runned off my medical supplies, so encounter was imminent.

And my ovely "buggy" Keepers caravan came! And ofcoure they enters from a WRONG edge of the map, and were going to be buchered on their way in, oh well, now or never! I've got a two steel armored guards to helm me with those ten mace weilding greenies. So, the point i was telling you all this... Sure, blunt sucks. Sure, it takes forever to kill a thing... But what that goobos did to my men! they were all red, crying, vomiting, crouching away from the fight... I dont know how to name 'em.. Elves! I've won by one axe-hacking-madly-battle-transing captain, who hacked the rest of the gobbos, while they mauled crap out the rest of my squad. And they got so much minor broken bones and bruises like a wall of red text. No one died, luckly (or not, cause healing them would seemed to take an enternity, and supplies, which i dont have).

All those blunt weapons are made to abuse your dwarves and medical personnel, beware! :-[
« Last Edit: April 17, 2011, 06:56:12 am by Dwarf13 »

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #6552 on: April 17, 2011, 07:54:36 am »

You were just lucky with your embarks... I have iron all the time.

Plus, you can turn cobalt into iron now.

Yeah, in real life you cannot kill a man unless you bash him in the head or puncture a vital organ with a hammer too. Blunt weapons work good on armor though, breaking bones and stuff.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6553 on: April 17, 2011, 08:01:23 am »

Deon, what happened to the power of maces? Hits to the unarmoured upper body only bruise 80% of the time now. Before, if you hit an unarmoured opponent in the upper body it would mean that they're pretty screwed.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #6554 on: April 17, 2011, 08:06:43 am »

One problem with blunt is that the AI doesn't stop bashing an incapacitated enemy, wasting precious combat time on "beating a dead horse". Should move to next target once Pain-Fainted or Two Broken Limbs on target.

I had a gigantic giant moose cow. 130 pages of report, crossbow and shield bashing... And at last halberd to the brain. (Right! I'll set crossbow bashing up a little.)

Also, there should be internal blood loss from bruises and fractures and bone-shards-in-veins.

Yes I've toned down the DAMN SPHALERITE and galena so can get better metals appearing.

Bah viper spear bash: [ATTACK:BLUNT:3000:6000:bash:bashes:shaft:1850]
normal spear: [ATTACK:BLUNT:400:160:bash:bashes:shaft:1250]
« Last Edit: April 17, 2011, 08:14:30 am by TomiTapio »
Pages: 1 ... 435 436 [437] 438 439 ... 642