Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 425 426 [427] 428 429 ... 642

Author Topic: [40.24] ۩۩۩ Genesis Mod ۩۩۩ [ϟ .11c Old Genesis ϟ] - 0.40.25 update by TomiTapio  (Read 1230512 times)

Torgan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Thanks for the blood cooking tag, I had forgotten it could be done that way. I thought more like 2 barrels of blood into one bag of dried blood dust (make dye and flour versions!)
"Make dye from blood" and "Make nourishing flour from blood". We have blood pancakes (veriletut) in Finland, and one region has "black" blood sausages.
There's black pudding in the UK which is blood+oatmeal sausage so it's not too uncommon I guess.

You know you can just set the blood for dumping, mark the barrel for trading when merchants are at the depot then the dwarves will carry the barrel to the depot and leave a puddle of blood/ichor/venom on the ground?  This should get cleaned up afterwards by a dwarf.

Alarion

• Bay Watcher
  • I put on my robe and wizard hat.
    • View Profile

Thanks for the blood cooking tag, I had forgotten it could be done that way. I thought more like 2 barrels of blood into one bag of dried blood dust (make dye and flour versions!)
"Make dye from blood" and "Make nourishing flour from blood". We have blood pancakes (veriletut) in Finland, and one region has "black" blood sausages.

Same in Sweden.

that the old one was located on a nice warm ocean beach, had a huge moat with four working drawbridges and windmill-powered pumps to fill it with water, a three-story stone wall around all the land that wasn't ocean beach, several magma workshops and stores, finished goods and metal by the hundreds, huge amounts of engravings and an artifact cabinet (+an artifact backpack, a large underground
Here's a suggestion: backup it, abandon it, put new raws into the save, embark (maybe non-reclaim) on site and hope it works. Keeps location and walls and digging and workshops.
Or you can use old save's worldgen seeds (in logfile or in exported info) and get the exact same world, except history has gone differently thanks to combats going differently.

Getting to magma sea is easy if your caves are 4 levels high like mine, and not 20 levels high like the default settings.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Thanks for the help :)

Also, http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ParanoiaFuel]is everyone a troper here?  :o
No. I am a Flickrite and a partial deviantArtist. Also a KGS (Kiseido Go Server) noob. But I gotta know about so me tropes, especially gainaxing.

http://xkcd.com/609/ ... ;)
Death shall sow, and summer burn, before the Great Lord comes.
Death shall reap, and bodies fail, before the Great Lord comes.
Now the Great Lord comes. Now the Great Lord comes.
Blood feeds blood. Blood calls blood. Blood is, and blood was, and blood shall ever be.
Now the Great Lord comes.

Phoebus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

If you want to make steel harder to create, it should take more steps, and most likely, more resources to create too.
You could also require more than just iron and carbon to make the steel.
Also, actual pure iron should be hard to create, require many steps to gradually purify it.
Likewise, the grade of steel should be improved in many steps.

Ore -> Iron + Coal + Flux -> Pig Iron (Grade D)
Ore -> Iron + Flux -> Pure Iron (Grade D)
Pig Iron (D) + Pure Iron (D) + Flux + Coal -> 2x Steel (Grade D)

Pig Iron/Steel (Grade D) + Coal + Flux -> Pig Iron (Grade C)
Pure Iron/Steel (Grade D) + Flux -> Pure Iron (Grade C)
Pig Iron (C) + Pure Iron (C) + Flux + Coal -> 2x Steel (Grade C)

and so on.

You could also add purification process for fuel and flux, that would split them into separate small bars so you can fine tune the quantity used per step. And add more steps to the whole steel process.
Fuel -> 3 carbon bars (1/3 normal size each)
Flux Stone -> 3 flux bars (1/3 normal size each)

Alternatively, you could add special (fantasy) steel alloys.
Iron + Aluminum
Iron + Gold
Iron + Lead
Iron + Platinum
Iron + Silver
Iron + Adamantium

For all these options the current version of steel should be lowered in quality significantly (slightly above iron), and more expensive version would progressively move toward the old steel.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 04:58:13 am by Phoebus »

Setharnas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I like that. I would also like to see metal be more rare, as in more massive / complicated items using more bars, which would then represent smaller amounts of metal. IIRC, metal yield from ores is typically around 3-5% of the ore mass at most - in DF, it feels much higher. That's true for wood as well: in my current game, my >500 tile storehouse is packed full with stuff - and I haven't even started metal production!

I'd like bars and logs to represent smaller amounts of materials. If a chair needs one log, a cabinet should use at least three. When you take arrows and bolts into account, both chair and cabinet need even more logs to keep the relation in balance. A whole wall/palisade? ... Yeah. Trouble is, I think constructions are hardcoded in their resource amounts, are they not? That would make any attempt at balancing somewhat futile, as it would look really stupid if a log was worth one wall or a fifth of a table...

About alloys: I think they should not all be based on iron. A bit of variety is great - that's why I have said before that a "Genesis Forge" would be my dream mod, an integration of Genesis and CivForge (mainly for its sophisticated alchemy system). Of course I can see from Deon's comments that Genesis is already heading that direction, yay! :D
(Appreciatingly stolen from thijser)
I'm not a native English speaker. Feel free to point out grammar/spelling mistakes. This way I can learn better English.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile

The problem with those is that all of them require iron... Which just negates the variety a lot (especially if you have none on your map), that's why I have different schemes for the alchemy.

The "pure iron" is not pure per se, it's just that it requires additional hardening to become a weapon-grade material, but I didn't want "hard iron swords" (the shorter, the better), if you have a better idea how to call the "original iron", go ahead and suggest it.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Phoebus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The problem with those is that all of them require iron... Which just negates the variety a lot (especially if you have none on your map), that's why I have different schemes for the alchemy.

The "pure iron" is not pure per se, it's just that it requires additional hardening to become a weapon-grade material, but I didn't want "hard iron swords" (the shorter, the better), if you have a better idea how to call the "original iron", go ahead and suggest it.
Coarse iron
Raw iron
Impure iron

Edit:
Slag iron
« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 07:00:04 am by Phoebus »

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile

Coarse iron sounds nice...

When will you make the engraved rounded walls? I can't wait to include them :D.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

rainekage

• Bay Watcher
  • Has no ASCII designation
    • View Profile

Fortress defense - I have a long way to go.  Oddly, I can't seem to assign bone bolts to my military, only to hunters.

This became a problem when a kobold thief nearly severed the legs of my military commander (a marksdwarf), and the dwarf had decided, "Hey, I don't need ammunition, I have a copper crossbow!".  Thanks to Tomi for teaching me that leg armor is the most important armor.

Was just looking at the adventure mode, and recalled that Deon made it so we can embark as "outsiders" of extinct races.  And noticed "Dark dwarves".

I don't recall there being a dark dwarven race outside of Civforge.  Was it a bug, or just a race so weak they never, ever make it through worldgen?
« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 08:37:44 am by rainekage »

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile

They've always been here, and they are underground dwellers (like cave illithids, ratmen, fishmen etc.). However they have good metal gear.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Ghundio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I like that. I would also like to see metal be more rare, as in more massive / complicated items using more bars, which would then represent smaller amounts of metal. IIRC, metal yield from ores is typically around 3-5% of the ore mass at most - in DF, it feels much higher. That's true for wood as well: in my current game, my >500 tile storehouse is packed full with stuff - and I haven't even started metal production!

I'd like bars and logs to represent smaller amounts of materials. If a chair needs one log, a cabinet should use at least three. When you take arrows and bolts into account, both chair and cabinet need even more logs to keep the relation in balance. A whole wall/palisade? ... Yeah. Trouble is, I think constructions are hardcoded in their resource amounts, are they not? That would make any attempt at balancing somewhat futile, as it would look really stupid if a log was worth one wall or a fifth of a table...

About alloys: I think they should not all be based on iron. A bit of variety is great - that's why I have said before that a "Genesis Forge" would be my dream mod, an integration of Genesis and CivForge (mainly for its sophisticated alchemy system). Of course I can see from Deon's comments that Genesis is already heading that direction, yay! :D
I definitely agree that the metal and wood yield seems unbalanced. But for me the thing that seems wrong with the wood is that you get too little from a log. When you think about it, you just cut down a 100 year old tree or whatever. That a lot of wood. I think the entire wood industry needs some more processing so that it has a more realistic feel to it.
Go into your stocks menu. You'll see a masterwork adamantine sword of some kind. Zoom to its location and you'll be directed to the bottom of the curious structure.

Go now and claim what is rightly yours. And watch out for the zombies.

Dwarf13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Greetings!

Im still getting that wierd "keepers caravan" bug, even after downloading newer ver, making new world, etc. Game just crashes having caravan arrived on 2-3+ year of a forteress. Thats so frustrating bth  :-\
Is there any way to remove keepers from my save\fix the bug?
If you'll request a save, im just going to play from my last save till keeper's caravan arrival and save there.

TIA.

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos

Utuki says to remove their intelligence.
Its known bug in non-b version, i got around by : removing intelligence from keepers, making them evil instead of benign and removing their trade caravans. First two are in creature raw third in entity (possible third isn't needed, i didn't check)
So in creature_genesis.txt in Keepers section, delete
[INTELLIGENT]
[BENIGN]
and in entity_keepers.txt I would delete
   [DIPLOMAT_BODYGUARDS]
   [MERCHANT_BODYGUARDS]
   [PROGRESS_TRIGGER_TRADE:1]
   [PROGRESS_TRIGGER_POP_SIEGE:2]
   [PROGRESS_TRIGGER_PROD_SIEGE:0]
   [PROGRESS_TRIGGER_TRADE_SIEGE:0]
   [ACTIVE_SEASON:SUMMER]
maybe also delete [USE_ANIMAL_PRODUCTS] (bee products may be the cause).

Hey Deon, immediate siege from keepers if you start a goblin fortress? Zero means right away?
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile

Zero means "not counted at all" now. It was right away in 40d.

Keepers crash in a world generated in .24b? Damn, I may need to remake their entity from scratch :P. If it's the entity and not some weird animal stuff they bring due to their biomes.

P.S. Please please please give me a save from 3.24b generated world with a keeper crash.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Torgan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I think this might be one for Toady but I'll ask anyway.  Now there's so many milled plants->dye reactions in Genesis is there any way to set it so that only plants that are milled into edible items are used?  Usually I set all raw plants that I'm farming to not be used in cooking so that I get the seeds as otherwise I end up running out of seeds or plants to make booze out of.  I usually mill a bunch of stuff so I can use the flour and sugar for roasts of awesome to flog to the traders but at the moment I keep ending up with piles of dye which I don't really use as the clothing industry doesn't seem worth it at the moment.

I could set up a locked room with a food stockpile that only accepts the plants I want to mill and a quern but I can never be bothered micromanaging stuff to that level really. On a side note, candy and bread cooking into meals are incredibly expensive, I had a masterwork roast for 117k out of some meat, 1 bread and two crystal cane candies.

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos

I keep ending up with piles of dye which I don't really use as the clothing industry doesn't seem worth it at the moment.

On a side note, candy and bread cooking into meals are incredibly expensive, I had a masterwork roast for 117k out of some meat, 1 bread and two crystal cane candies.
Hooray, the mushroom dyes I added are making things harder for you! That was the intent, that foraging should get you less food. I should even try making all plants give 2 units instead of 5.
You just need a "atomsmash dye" reaction from Deon now :´)

Deon, I'd recommend that bread and candy can't be used as cooking ingredients. Long cat guts bacon on a masterwork bread?
Yeah it is silly how meals can be totally more valuable than chainmails. That'd make IRL crude steel chainmails cost 1000€ (10-stack of finest fugu/ancientwine meals, 3000€)
I have reduced dwarves' cooking skill leveling.

Deon: how about a small hue/shading difference between the different centaur soldiers? Zebra stripes on archers!

Part three of the Logs of Lakedike:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 04:06:17 pm by TomiTapio »
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884
Pages: 1 ... 425 426 [427] 428 429 ... 642