Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 423 424 [425] 426 427 ... 642

Author Topic: [40.24] ۩۩۩ Genesis Mod ۩۩۩ [ϟ .11c Old Genesis ϟ] - 0.40.25 update by TomiTapio  (Read 1230510 times)

SandyDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

G'day Deon!

I am really loving your mod :) I am having a bit of trouble (bugs) though so I thought I'd post them here.

1) I was repeatedly crashing in the second year, even with restarts. Always in summer. After much frustration I have found that after the game crashes the last line in gamelog.txt is "A keeper caravan from Wastrees Amed has arrived." The only things I have changed from the latest version is to have 'make stone arrows' produce gypsum boulders, removed flux from the iron reactions and made more ore come from 'grind worthless rocks'. (I had to do this due to the second problem). Would that be affecting it? I have true type turned off due to the bugs it causes so that isn't it.

Nevermind. I just discovered you have put out version b with the keepers problems fixed :o . This is quite probably the first time I have reported a bug to find it already fixed. Consider me impressed!

2) No ore. I am not sure what is going on with this. The site finder says shallow metals, deep metals and flux, but the only special stuff I find are gems. I have yet to try another site to check (restarted the current one several times with a back up save to build better) But I have strip mined this 4x4 site and found nothing. Alas I am on linux so I can't use reveal.exe. Most likely not be your fault as no-one else is complaining, I will try regening with the phobius and a very low mineral param to see if that helps.

3) Rock bolts and rock arrows don't get stored in the ammo stockpile, or anywhere for that matter. On the bright side, you can mass dump them on the ramparts, de-forbid them, and they won't get hauled away.

I will try replacing my changed reaction files with the original and see if I still get the crash, If so, I will get a save closer to the arrival of their caravan for you to look at. I will also try starting again with the Phobius version and see how that goes.

Thankyou for your work and awaiting your response,
 - Sandy.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 12:59:34 pm by SandyDorf »

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos

Deon, I just had an idea for a superior dog. Faedog. A double-speed fantastic bulldog, always catches up to the kobold thieves but very expensive to embark with (1700 when wool-making mammoth is 1500). Two years to grow to adult.

Please, could you make a KILN reaction for me: burn plant fiber clothes. If generic one can't be made, pig tail ropereed cotton for starters. Also a new reaction "get rid of ash" (scatter outdoors) produced by cremation and clothesburning.

What if making a crucible required Iron or Bronze? Then you'd melt gear or wait for purchase, before could make flux-assisted steel. Bah or embark with one iron, now it sounds like a bad idea.

Also I'd like a reaction that used up all the crap blood the traders bring.

Edit2: made the Faedogs, emailed to Deon.

Weird, those are simple boulders. Does it not accept boulders? I doubt you have none. Honestly it is there just to make a reagent/product (because now the products are needed to make skill gains).
it really stumps me that I cannot find any other post with a similar problem. Want an upload?
I remember someone said they made boulders for some purpose, using "dismantle stone coffer".
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 01:36:31 pm by TomiTapio »
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Daff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Found a bug: magma blast furnace takes iron ore, should take pure iron ore.
Doesnt this reaction break metalworking balance ? It looks like no other iron or steel reactions are needed if you have iron ore and flux.

This is why I was a bit supprised when Deon made it more effective, getting steel straight from ore was worth using the old version. Now it's a bit too good since it's more effective than other forms as well as giving you steel from ore. It still takes a lot of time to make a batch but I don't know. It's not gamebreaking, just better than the other options if you're making lots of steel.
GENERATION 28: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

utuki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

G'day Deon!

I am really loving your mod :) I am having a bit of trouble (bugs) though so I thought I'd post them here.

1) I was repeatedly crashing in the second year, even with restarts. Always in summer. After much frustration I have found that after the game crashes the last line in gamelog.txt is "A keeper caravan from Wastrees Amed has arrived." The only things I have changed from the latest version is to have 'make stone arrows' produce gypsum boulders, removed flux from the iron reactions and made more ore come from 'grind worthless rocks'. (I had to do this due to the second problem). Would that be affecting it? I have true type turned off due to the bugs it causes so that isn't it.

Nevermind. I just discovered you have put out version b with the keepers problems fixed :o . This is quite probably the first time I have reported a bug to find it already fixed. Consider me impressed!
Its known bug in non-b version, i got around by : removing intelletence from keepers, making them evil instead of benighn and removing their trade caravans. First two are in creature raw third in entity(possible third isnt needed, i didnt check)

SandyDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Just started again and realized one bug that only affects linux users; Linux is more strict with capitalization so it complains that df can't find 'orcs.png'. Renaming /raw/graphics/orcs.PNG to orcs.png solves this.

Setharnas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Weird, those are simple boulders. Does it not accept boulders? I doubt you have none. Honestly it is there just to make a reagent/product (because now the products are needed to make skill gains).
it really stumps me that I cannot find any other post with a similar problem. Want an upload?
I remember someone said they made boulders for some purpose, using "dismantle stone coffer".

Thank you. I came back to the thread to report that I can use the reactions now, though I still don't have a clue why. I have not paid close enough attention to backtrack it either during my first werewolf siege... (some megabeast giant even came visiting and decided to try to help me fight the furries - his bones will make a nice stack of bolts to help with the next siege...)
(Appreciatingly stolen from thijser)
I'm not a native English speaker. Feel free to point out grammar/spelling mistakes. This way I can learn better English.

Daff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ah, using the bones of your fallen enemies to kill more of your enemies, just one of the small things that makes DF such fun :)

I actually had something I was supposed to ask about but I forgot... ah well :D
GENERATION 28: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Alarion

• Bay Watcher
  • I put on my robe and wizard hat.
    • View Profile

Also I'd like a reaction that used up all the crap blood the traders bring.

Looked at my old posts for no reason and came across this:

I always add [EDIBLE_COOKED] to blood in my fortresses.  Might as well put those barrels of blood the humans keep bringing me to some use.
Wait, you can do that? Just add the tag to "material_template_default.txt" in the raws folder?
Yep, just open material_template_default.txt, go to the entry for [MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:BLOOD_TEMPLATE], and add the line [EDIBLE_COOKED] somewhere near the end.  You can now use blood as a liquid ingredient in prepared meals, with the same restrictions as other cookable liquids like syrup or booze.  Sadly, adding [EDIBLE_COOKED] to [MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:STONE_TEMPLATE] doesn't allow you to make minced gneiss biscuits, so there's something hard-coded in what materials can be considered edible.

Try it?

That would be me. Have yet to test it though, after all the mess with my versions.

Also, my version number on the old save is something like 31.16, and I'm quite stumped as to how I'm supposed to merge it with the current version, what with all the new things (ceramics, beekeeping and wool being the most obvious ones...) but I also like the fort so I don't want to regen unless I really have to. I've tried dfWorldTinker and WinMerge, but I must be doing something wrong. Is there a kind soul out there who could explain to me how I was to go about such an endeavour, or at least point me in the right direction? Thanks if so =)

Oh, and Deon, creature descriptions would be nice for the wiki, or rather, the manual. I can help do it if you want, I'm often interested in exactly what properties the strange monsters that attack me have, and now it's more trial and error than any fact-based thing. Do you want/need help with this, and if so, how can I do it? I think your mod is great, and the Ironhand tileset has gotten so pretty now! Especially engravings and materials... oh, they're so good ^^

//A, happy
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 06:27:46 pm by Alarion »
Death shall sow, and summer burn, before the Great Lord comes.
Death shall reap, and bodies fail, before the Great Lord comes.
Now the Great Lord comes. Now the Great Lord comes.
Blood feeds blood. Blood calls blood. Blood is, and blood was, and blood shall ever be.
Now the Great Lord comes.

utuki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Also, my version number on the old save is something like 31.16, and I'm quite stumped as to how I'm supposed to merge it with the current version, what with all the new things (ceramics, beekeeping and wool being the most obvious ones...) but I also like the fort so I don't want to regen unless I really have to. I've tried dfWorldTinker and WinMerge, but I must be doing something wrong. Is there a kind soul out there who could explain to me how I was to go about such an endeavour, or at least point me in the right direction? Thanks if so =)

Copy new raws over save raws (or try to delete save raws first or use winmerge), run worldtinker and sync it. Its supposed to work that way at least ...

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile

You can just paste a wall of text you want added to the manual, and it will be added.

Copy new raws over save raws (or try to delete save raws first or use winmerge), run worldtinker and sync it. Its supposed to work that way at least ...
Eh, it would remove a lot of stuff which was existing back then... So I'd suggest to run two forts at once if you don't want to stop the old one or something like that :P.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

utuki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Eh, it would remove a lot of stuff which was existing back then... So I'd suggest to run two forts at once if you don't want to stop the old one or something like that :P.
Its probably possible to carefully add new reactions with winmerge to raws and then sync them to world. But that would be a long fun game by itself :)

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile

Cooked blood.

Sorry, I have [ETHIC:KEEP_KOSHER:ESPECIALLY_IF_BLOOD]
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

Alarion

• Bay Watcher
  • I put on my robe and wizard hat.
    • View Profile

You can just paste a wall of text you want added to the manual, and it will be added.

I will! How do I find all the relevant data for the new creatures and so on, is there a specific list somewhere on what is new and included, so I can start from something? I just would like to get it going so I can let the manual and not my gut instinct decide on how dangerous a Lost Adventurer is... (first time I met one, I was like "oh, that's probably really wussy; I'll send a recruit down to deal with it... and then it promptly bit the poor dwarf's head off and continued on to slaughter half a dozen people. Kind of scary, so now I always approach unknown monsters (=not on the wiki) with extreme caution. It works alright at least for now, but still, I'd like to get the data down. ;))

Yeah, that's what I figured too. I spent literally most of the night yesterday trying to make it work (and lost about 6 hours of potential sleep time in doing so - going to bed at 05.30 am is not something I recommend for repeating several times in a row...) and just finally went "ah, heck, I could just create a new world if I want the new things so badly", which I'm most likely also gonna do. It was just that the old one was located on a nice warm ocean beach, had a huge moat with four working drawbridges and windmill-powered pumps to fill it with water, a three-story stone wall around all the land that wasn't ocean beach, several magma workshops and stores, finished goods and metal by the hundreds, huge amounts of engravings and an artifact cabinet (+an artifact backpack, a large underground reservoir powered by an aquifer, a waterfall and a floodgate, plus THREE legendary tanners, all immigrants...) and was also the first time that I've ever managed to get past the third cavern layer and into an adamantine vein. Seems like a waste of a good fort to just let it go away... but I also wanna try out the new features, hence my obsession with kaolinite and other old reaction thingies, because I really wanna keep playing it! Or I'll just get a new world and try it out to see what it entails. Can't be that much of a difference, now can it? *ogles porcelain jugs longingly...* .

//A, enthusiastic
Death shall sow, and summer burn, before the Great Lord comes.
Death shall reap, and bodies fail, before the Great Lord comes.
Now the Great Lord comes. Now the Great Lord comes.
Blood feeds blood. Blood calls blood. Blood is, and blood was, and blood shall ever be.
Now the Great Lord comes.

Daff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I will! How do I find all the relevant data for the new creatures and so on, is there a specific list somewhere on what is new and included, so I can start from something? I just would like to get it going so I can let the manual and not my gut instinct decide on how dangerous a Lost Adventurer is... (first time I met one, I was like "oh, that's probably really wussy; I'll send a recruit down to deal with it... and then it promptly bit the poor dwarf's head off and continued on to slaughter half a dozen people. Kind of scary, so now I always approach unknown monsters (=not on the wiki) with extreme caution. It works alright at least for now, but still, I'd like to get the data down. ;))

I think the best way to do this would be reading the raws and making a summary of the creature in the manual. Propably the simplest way would be to just copy the description for the creature and then adding a list of characteristics like size, feels no pain, poison (type and effects), organic / inorganic and possibly some sort of threat evaluation etc.

Also cooking blood would be logical, plenty of blood based dishes IRL as well.

EDIT: I also think a sort of bestiary like this would be a great addition to the manual. Ofcourse it's a lot of work to go trough the creature raws and write up the stuff but I suppose it shouldn't be very hard, just a lot of work.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 05:16:50 pm by Daff »

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile

Let the Elves cook Au Jous.  Why the hell are they bringing your dwarves barrells of their sacred animals' blood anyways? At least do them the honor of a bit of glaze and a hearty blend of herbs and seasonings.
I like fortresses because they are still underground.
Pages: 1 ... 423 424 [425] 426 427 ... 642