Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 420 421 [422] 423 424 ... 642

Author Topic: [40.24] ۩۩۩ Genesis Mod ۩۩۩ [ϟ .11c Old Genesis ϟ] - 0.40.25 update by TomiTapio  (Read 1230551 times)

rainekage

• Bay Watcher
  • Has no ASCII designation
    • View Profile

Sorry Deon and Tomi, I was about to embark on a volcano and test the steel-making process...then I found an epic waterfall biome.  Since I never find a usable waterfall, I really don't know how to fashion a fortress around it - if I use grates, will my dwarves still be swept away?  Hmm...

Glad the werewolves are working for you again, Kat.

Speaking of which, here's a stupid and basic DF question - is there a difference on the embark screen (when looking at the races you'll be interacting with), between the long red line next to the name, and the words WAR?  And why, when I canceled an embark (wrong spot) and went back, did Werewolves switch from "WAR" to the long red line? It seems odd that it would change.

Edit:  "Cannot construct floor grate: Location submerged".  Apparently you cannot build anything under a flowing waterfall.  That makes me sad, I wanted to build a bridge that extends to a waterfall entrance (with floor grates to keep everyone from getting swept off).   Dwarves get happy thoughts, invaders get dumped a dozen Z-levels to a river full of piranha, carp, and alligators (which are eating all the piranha).  Oh well.  :(

Will update with the steel production in a minute.

EDIT:  Okay, found out the problem.  Caught one when it said I didn't have iron bars to build a blast furnace.

Well I did - Pure iron bars.  The problem is, Genesis (at least, the version last released on DFFD) won't accept pure iron for the creation of the blast furnace, or the creation of steel through the finishing forge or the crucible.  You have to create just normal "iron" at the finishing forge before it will let you do any of the other reactions.

So, shortly, it's adding an extra step.  Before doing anything, you have to turn pure iron into iron.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 04:28:07 am by rainekage »

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos

Literally every square they walked over eroded to the base tile (which in this case was sand). Within the season they'd all starved to death. I thought the elk birds might have been doing it, but I watched them and even the rabbits were turning the squares they moved over to sand.

(searches for rabbits) Probably rabbits' [GRASSTRAMPLE:10] removing grass, from the days when there were no pastures, only pits for no-food-needed animals. I'll remove most [GRASSTRAMPLE] now. The main purpose of that tag is to make huge dragons and wurms affect the ground. It's also nice to put to animals that make mud wallows.

(gives his elands and damagazelles grazer also)
Reptiles... oh wow, monitor lizard has NoPain, making them rather tough. I'll give NoPain to the savage-areas dragon raptors. So In any savage area, you should cage and tame d-raptors!
(makes his giant otters trainable, and reduces their skills)
(my raws also include a nerf for spiked balls (wooden 3-hit balls were too good), and new wooden trap component "bludgeon". Exhaust your foes with blunt force!)
Hey guys, here's my current raws! http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8967397/Genesis_3.24b_Ironhand_plus_Tomis.zip

Speaking of which, here's a stupid and basic DF question - is there a difference on the embark screen (when looking at the races you'll be interacting with), between the long red line next to the name, and the words WAR?  And why, when I canceled an embark (wrong spot) and went back, did Werewolves switch from "WAR" to the long red line? It seems odd that it would change.
I don't know, Toady doesn't provide much documentation.
If the wiki doesn't know it, then the info might be buried in the Sea of Forum Text. But normally non-hostile civs can be at war with you I believe.
Wars can end; abandon plus embark forward's the world's time by one year. But you didn't abandon, so perhaps your 2nd try was with another dorf civ who aren't at war.

Yup, copper and cobalt are quicker to make than "Iron" (which is actually a low-grade steel). Genesis's two-step iron making process is fair in my book.

I'm still not sure how to go about fixing the problem with iron - at least according to the chart, it's not supposed to be doing what I reported.  Will just go with hardened iron gear for now, then melt it and forget it into steel over time.
This...is going to be a stupid question, and I am ashamed - but what do I upload when uploading a saved game for review?  Do I literally upload the entire "region1" sub-folder inside of the "save" folder?  I've never paid much attention (shame on me).
1. smelt ore. 2. hammer all into iron. 3. make some of it into pig iron. 4. hammer two iron and one pig iron into 2.5 units of steel.
Or 3. with flux stones, crucible makes iron into steel.
Zip or Rar-archive the region folder for uploading. It's about 19 MB for medium world.

Whoa, that was one hour of helpdesking and creature tuning there. Time for breakfast.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 06:31:24 am by TomiTapio »
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Patchouli

• Bay Watcher
  • Where very delicious cake shop?
    • View Profile

Will do Q-R next.

rainekage

• Bay Watcher
  • Has no ASCII designation
    • View Profile

Thanks Tomi, for some reason, I just missed the explanation on the wiki - red line is hostile, and I'm sure that I switched to a different starting civ on accident on my second embark, and that civ was not at war with werewolves.

I'm still not sure how to go about fixing the problem with iron - at least according to the chart, it's not supposed to be doing what I reported.  Will just go with hardened iron gear for now, then melt it and forget it into steel over time.

This...is going to be a stupid question, and I am ashamed - but what do I upload when uploading a saved game for review?  Do I literally upload the entire "region1" sub-folder inside of the "save" folder?  I've never paid much attention (shame on me).

Going to use your raws to gen a new world and see if the problem still happens for me.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 07:23:33 am by rainekage »

Setharnas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

(gives his elands and damagazelles grazer also)
Reptiles... oh wow, monitor lizard has NoPain, making them rather tough. I'll give NoPain to the savage-areas dragon raptors. So In any savage area, you should cage and tame d-raptors!
(makes his giant otters trainable, and reduces their skills)
(my raws also include a nerf for spiked balls (wooden 3-hit balls were too good), and new wooden trap component "bludgeon". Exhaust your foes with blunt force!)
Hey guys, here's my current raws! http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8967397/Genesis_3.24b_Ironhand_plus_Tomis.zip

Nice - is there any kind of change log for your personal changes beyond what has gone into the main branch, or is that up to backtracking through this thread? I find these modified versions very interesting; for example, I used to play a CivForge version with changes from Drayath - very nice extensions to an already great mod. I think yours may have similar qualities.
(Appreciatingly stolen from thijser)
I'm not a native English speaker. Feel free to point out grammar/spelling mistakes. This way I can learn better English.

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos

No changelog except this thread. Some changes may get discarded if Deon doesn't approve of them.
Most of the things are minor tuning of animals (speed, size, description, skills, frequency, Benign, Fleequick, Likes_fighting etc.). Bigger things would be tuning of ore freq (most ores are freq100 veins) or the lashersword (discarded), or removing wooden trap components (not yet done).

Edit: Oh, new creatures too. Should be fun surprises for you, the new critters. Those will be in Deon's changelog.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 08:52:26 am by TomiTapio »
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

utuki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hi, i have a crashing problem. World is generated in 3.24 and crashes on keeper caravan arrival. After updating raws to 3.24b it doesnt crash unless i save game. After loading game saved in 3.24b it crashes when keepers arrive. I can play to this caravan without saving and save after but it will probably crash next year ? Any way to remove keepers from game ? I just build first non-masstomb fort, dont want to loose it ...

Alarion

• Bay Watcher
  • I put on my robe and wizard hat.
    • View Profile

Edit:  "Cannot construct floor grate: Location submerged".  Apparently you cannot build anything under a flowing waterfall.  That makes me sad, I wanted to build a bridge that extends to a waterfall entrance (with floor grates to keep everyone from getting swept off).   Dwarves get happy thoughts, invaders get dumped a dozen Z-levels to a river full of piranha, carp, and alligators (which are eating all the piranha).  Oh well.  :(

But can't you build some kind of diversion in the form of a wall or a floodgate, and thereby make it not flow onto that specific tile for long enough that you could build on it? I know I managed to do that once, almost. Damming the river is quite the project though, but fun :)

Also, I too got the missing stuff when I ran the savegame updater. Winmerge is your friend? I was getting annoyed at not being able to make porcelain from my heaps of kaolinite, and figure the reactions are missing (though I can still collect clay...) etc. Is there a way to keep the Ironhand tileset but still run the Phoebus patcher, or is that just the simple init.txt editing that I normally do too?

Also also, there needs to be creature info in the manual. Just sayin' :)

//A, thankful
Death shall sow, and summer burn, before the Great Lord comes.
Death shall reap, and bodies fail, before the Great Lord comes.
Now the Great Lord comes. Now the Great Lord comes.
Blood feeds blood. Blood calls blood. Blood is, and blood was, and blood shall ever be.
Now the Great Lord comes.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile

Hi, i have a crashing problem. World is generated in 3.24 and crashes on keeper caravan arrival. After updating raws to 3.24b it doesnt crash unless i save game. After loading game saved in 3.24b it crashes when keepers arrive. I can play to this caravan without saving and save after but it will probably crash next year ? Any way to remove keepers from game ? I just build first non-masstomb fort, dont want to loose it ...
You have to START a 3.24b to fix the wax crafts keepers' bug. However you can go to war with them to stop their caravans if you want to play on 3.24.

P.S. Wow Patchouli, that's a lot of work you've done on that language, thank you!
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Cocoprimate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Maybe this is a stupid question, I'm not sure. If so, I apologize beforehand.

I would like my genesis to have only a given number of races. I'd like vanilla dwarfs, vanilla humans, vanilla elfs and centaurs, instead of having all the dwarf, human an elf castes, and so on. How can I remove them? Also, how can I remove a certain megabeast? For instance, I'd like to have only red dragons, instead of having wyverns and frost wyrms.

Thank you for the help.
The story of Aban Diamondtowns the Charms of Society, dwarf legend, and his descent into the depths. (SPOILER)
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=79229.0

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile

You can remove races by removing appropriate entity files (like entity_demons.txt) in the /raw/objects/, and if you want to rename keepers to humans and sylvan to elves, open /raw/objects/creature_genesis.txt and rename them :).

The same way, if you want to remove specific beasts it's a bit harder, but still doable. Open creature_genesis_beast.txt and remove them from there.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Strange guy

• Bay Watcher
  • Strangely normal
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID

Here's a quick attempt I made, it removes all dwarf castes but stone dwarfs, all elves but one closest to vanilla, many races, nords, wyverns and frost wyrms

It replaces the standard object files if you want to use it, but someone else could easily do better in future as you could probably do with Deons advice. In fact I probably will because I too dislike the number of races and dwarf castes, though I still like some of the new ones and will probably end up leaving the 3 most mundane dwarf castes or something like that.

Alarion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Deon, are the ceramics reactions hardcoded or moddable? And if so, does that mean I can never get them in my pre-ceramics-generated fort? As of now, I can collect clay with my kilns but not actually make any porcelain, despite having tons of kaolinite. Bricks just aren't the same. And it doesn't show up in red like if you lack fuel for smelting, it's just not there. What can I do?
Blood feeds blood. Blood calls blood. Blood is, and blood was, and blood shall ever be.

utuki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Deon, are the ceramics reactions hardcoded or moddable? And if so, does that mean I can never get them in my pre-ceramics-generated fort? As of now, I can collect clay with my kilns but not actually make any porcelain, despite having tons of kaolinite. Bricks just aren't the same. And it doesn't show up in red like if you lack fuel for smelting, it's just not there. What can I do?
Try to sync your savegame with world tinker http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=67059.0

You have to START a 3.24b to fix the wax crafts keepers' bug. However you can go to war with them to stop their caravans if you want to play on 3.24.
How to start a war ? it would take a lot of killed caravans ingame ... i tried making them evil in raws but that didnt work
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 03:12:34 pm by utuki »

Alarion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Try to sync your savegame with world tinker http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=67059.0
Thanks, that worked for other things - silly me to not realise that "bricks" meant "porcelain" at the kiln ;) But the utility worked perfectly, haven't seen any trouble coming yet. Good stuff thus :)

EDIT: Um... not sure, but a milker with the masonry labor enabled took a single stack of ash to my Magma Kiln and started churning out Brick Blocks by the dozens. No porcelain in sight. Maybe I'm doing something wrong...? :/
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 04:07:30 pm by Alarion »
Pages: 1 ... 420 421 [422] 423 424 ... 642