Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 407 408 [409] 410 411 ... 642

Author Topic: [40.24] ۩۩۩ Genesis Mod ۩۩۩ [ϟ .11c Old Genesis ϟ] - 0.40.25 update by TomiTapio  (Read 1230883 times)

Torgan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ۩۩۩ ஃ Genesis Mod ஃ ۩۩۩ [ϟ 3.24 ϟ] - demons are back
« Reply #6120 on: April 06, 2011, 07:21:49 am »

The default refuse orders are set to ignore refuse outside, press o -> r -> o to tell them to collect stuff outside.  Once it's in a refuse pile then it should auto generate an order to butcher a corpse at your butcher workshop assuming you haven't turned that off in workshop orders.  o->W.  I usually leave it off after a while though as you end up losing dwarves when they are outside collecting a deer hoof and uncover an illithid ambush.

Also it means your stockpiles fill up with goblin corpses and various parts, though you can use the orders menu to auto forbid enemy corpses if you want.  That just occurs when they are killed though, it won't forbid corpses that are already there.  Play about with the menu though, it's pretty easy to navigate.

rainekage

• Bay Watcher
  • Has no ASCII designation
    • View Profile
« Reply #6121 on: April 06, 2011, 07:53:38 am »

Thank you both, I've never focused much on butchering or leatherworking (stone and metal are more versatile), except for one notable catsplosion, and a near ferretsplosion in Genesis (I wasn't paying attention).

Playing around with adventurer.  Will continue to randomly post questions or comments on the things I experience - sometimes I end up finding something that needs to be fixed (like the iron bug).

Although for now, it's all about biting people.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #6122 on: April 06, 2011, 08:01:30 am »

I plan to expand the culinary.

Right now we have candies from different sugars and bread from different flours/meals.

I plan to add sandwiches (meat and cheese), it takes 1 bread and 1 unit (cheese or meat) to make 5 sandwiches.

What else do you think is important for the dwarven culinary? :P
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% more pointless rambling!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6123 on: April 06, 2011, 08:11:29 am »

What Differianiating bread into leaven and unleaven varieties? We'd need yeast, though... Gimme a second... or a minute...

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6124 on: April 06, 2011, 08:15:18 am »

How about Dwarven Haggis? Take organs, make foods.
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6125 on: April 06, 2011, 08:19:06 am »

How about Dwarven Haggis? Take organs, make foods.

OMG! Idea! Actually adding 'cooking' (Not the cooking in vanilla DF, which is more or less making a dish, not just cooking the ingredients.), so you'd have to cook meat, organs, and some vegetables before eating them! It's fun adding to the difficulty, because that adds to the Fun!

rainekage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6126 on: April 06, 2011, 08:32:11 am »

I plan to expand the culinary.

Right now we have candies from different sugars and bread from different flours/meals.

I plan to add sandwiches (meat and cheese), it takes 1 bread and 1 unit (cheese or meat) to make 5 sandwiches.

What else do you think is important for the dwarven culinary? :P

I realize you've already implemented bread, but anything cooked with alcohol is very dorfy, and I immediately thought "beer bread". 

A high-value meal might be some sort of fried food.  What would that be, oil+meat?  I'm not sure if extracts can be used for cooking, though.

I love the idea of Dwarven Haggis, especially if made from the organs of one's enemies.

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6127 on: April 06, 2011, 08:35:20 am »

Why does beer-batter come to mind? Fish 'n Chips, anyone?

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #6128 on: April 06, 2011, 09:23:32 am »

Cheese, as any other type of food, always rots. I removed rotting from nails (what can you use those for?), teeth and scale.
The whole point of hard cheese is that is doesn't rot as quickly as milk. If both have ROTS tag, milk and cheese rot at the same rate, was that one season in DF? Are you sure that prepared meals rot in DF?

"When I pressed them, they said that waxed cheeses could be kept for up to 5 years when refrigerated at 38 to 40 degrees.  They also said that the cheese would get very sharp after 2 to 2 and 1/2 years." --someone
Beeswax covers on cheese :) 3 years is a very long time in a sieged Genesis fort.

Nails? Well... new reaction: 8 nails/tigerclaws plus some leather into a wearable leather cap "claw necklace".

On another note, spiked helmets make me want there to be a headbutt command.  It would be very dwarvenly (or dorfenly, depending on your mood) to make one's head a weapon, especially a steel dwarf.
A non Genesis question: Can a creature killed in combat (say, a raptor) be butchered and skinned?  I know it's possible to get raptor leather, but my dwarves refuse to turn anything I kill outside the slaughter command into meat or leather.
Headbutting is for Toady to implement, can't be done by modding (except rename beast's bite,punch,claw,kick attack into "headbutt").

Command "o r o" to allow outdoors refuse to be hauled! And for post-battle medical time, the "o"rders menu has things you might want to turn off to get people to haul less and attend to survivors more.
"o sw" is very popular with me, stop stone and wood hauling if there's other stuff to do.

Culinary stuff... meat+pepper=sausage. meat+rock salt boulder=salty sausage. Finer sausage if include animal guts.

OMG! Idea! Actually adding 'cooking' (Not the cooking in vanilla DF, which is more or less making a dish, not just cooking the ingredients.), so you'd have to cook meat, organs, and some vegetables before eating them! It's fun adding to the difficulty, because that adds to the Fun!
Almost all organs and meat have [EDIBLE_COOKED] and no [EDIBLE_RAW], so they can not be eaten raw in Vanilla or Genesis.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 09:46:21 am by TomiTapio »
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6129 on: April 06, 2011, 10:10:34 am »

Cheese, as any other type of food, always rots. I removed rotting from nails (what can you use those for?), teeth and scale.
The whole point of hard cheese is that is doesn't rot as quickly as milk. If both have ROTS tag, milk and cheese rot at the same rate, was that one season in DF? Are you sure that prepared meals rot in DF?

They do not, unless it has been changed.  I remember having prepared meals from ages ago still showing up in my stockpiles.

Deon, the speed the game makes cheese [ROT] at is approximately equal to the time it would take in REAL life for it to even become cheese.  If theres not a way to throttle it back, I suggest that cheese not [ROT], even if it does rot in real life.  Just imagine that it's still edible cheese if you strip off the hardened bits (which it is, IRL)

rainekage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6130 on: April 06, 2011, 10:41:33 am »

Final report before sleep:

Have played adventure mode a good dozen times - no sense of self-preservation, just full-blown charge into everything.  Sun-gold sickle-swords continue to sever everything in one strike (The only way to defeat an adventurer with one and grand master skill is to shoot or simply overwhelm).

First experience with the new demons.  Kind of miss the DK demons - was there a reason they were removed?  Sad that these demons have wings, but can't fly.  Learned that the reason they have copper weapons, though, is because they can bite or hoof-kick anything into oblivion in short order.

Currently playing a blood werewolf, just because.

Two times now, I've run into fortresses devoid of life.  Or rather, sentient life.  The first one, there were TONS of goats and wolves outside, the goats being chased by foxes (The goats won).  I went into the fortress, and the only life?

Cows.
Cows and bulls.  I was attacked and killed almost instantly by a bull (Hoof-stomp to skull).

Now, as a blood werewolf, I've run into a fortress in the tundra totally devoid of life.  There are only bears.  I suspect the bears have gained sentience and are taking over, but they have yet to learn to wear armor.  I am relieved.

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6131 on: April 06, 2011, 10:52:03 am »

I think what's causing the Fortress Zoos s that the inhabitants got killed off long ago, but the site is being held by the [PET]s of the race.  They're technically civ members, and sort of "hold the site" for the humans.  I think it might be better behavior if toady made a site like that have it's animal inhabitants disperse.

I've seen it alot in Legends, and Adventurer... I imagine it's the same for abandoned fortresses, too.

rainekage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6132 on: April 06, 2011, 11:04:50 am »

I think what's causing the Fortress Zoos s that the inhabitants got killed off long ago, but the site is being held by the [PET]s of the race.  They're technically civ members, and sort of "hold the site" for the humans.  I think it might be better behavior if toady made a site like that have it's animal inhabitants disperse.

I've seen it alot in Legends, and Adventurer... I imagine it's the same for abandoned fortresses, too.

That certainly makes more sense than "Entire fortress was killed by cows and bears."  Although I admit that those same creatures put me down within a few seconds each (The bear was content to just sever my werewolf's hamstrings).

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #6133 on: April 06, 2011, 11:23:36 am »

Towns seem to keep 2 or 3 pets per citizien. Vanilla issue, maybe they are meat production.

149: Duryoole, "Drivenshields", town
   Owner: The Fellowship of Blockading, keepers
   Parent Civ: The Realm of Wanderers, keepers
   112 orcs
   544 keepers
   1312 cats
   10 cave tortoises
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Setharnas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6134 on: April 06, 2011, 11:30:26 am »

Think of dwarves growing attached to an item they already have in their possession
This is actually already implemented in vanilla DF!

Forgiven - I was unclear, aye. I knew it was implemented and used it as an example of a present feature that could be expanded on in the future.

Yeah they're more like Axes.  I struggled with it in my game but basically it came down to the idea that they're all moving the point of contact onto the end of a pole.  The mechanics might be different but with a limited amount of skills, either they should go into the category most like what they are (meaning halberds are just "pole axes" and spears are "pole daggers"), or they use a specific skill that encompasses them all (spear/polearm).

To be fair, a halberd is more than just a pole axe, as it combines a spear and a pole hook (for grappling enemies and dismounting them) into the axe design. There is a reason why it evolved into the already large family of pole weapons, and that was its versatility. If you think about it, the axe part of it is actually rather unwieldy, more so even when you are already... vertically challenged. ;)
(Appreciatingly stolen from thijser)
I'm not a native English speaker. Feel free to point out grammar/spelling mistakes. This way I can learn better English.
Pages: 1 ... 407 408 [409] 410 411 ... 642