Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 405 406 [407] 408 409 ... 642

Author Topic: [40.24] ۩۩۩ Genesis Mod ۩۩۩ [ϟ .11c Old Genesis ϟ] - 0.40.25 update by TomiTapio  (Read 1230830 times)

Setharnas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ۩۩۩ ஃ Genesis Mod ஃ ۩۩۩ [ϟ 3.24 ϟ] - demons are back
« Reply #6090 on: April 05, 2011, 02:34:48 pm »

Okay, so we need to have a reaction to cut large gems into gems... 2 or 3, what do you think? I don't remember the price multiplier for the large gems.

In the real world, large gems are usually valued simply for being so rare and the history of greed and superstition building around them; look at stuff like the Star of India or these beauties. It would be cool if that could somehow be incorporated in the game, maybe even the base game.
(Appreciatingly stolen from thijser)
I'm not a native English speaker. Feel free to point out grammar/spelling mistakes. This way I can learn better English.

asfghn

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:erratic nature]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6091 on: April 05, 2011, 02:41:40 pm »

I think you can zip your raws, and put-on-hosting-service (like the mighty Dropbox), or Deon might message his email address to you. It's up to Mr.D whether he'll include your changes in the Genesis. But if there's thousands of changes, it takes quite a while to examine each one with WinMerge (or other code comparison tool). Quickest way would be to copy only your descriptions into Genesis, that way the comparing is fast.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_file_comparison_tools
Holy cow, I love you. I'd been popping open each of the Genesis creatures files and going through them line by line in Notepad, redoing my changes with each successive new version. I didn't even know WinMerge existed.

What do you mean by copying only my descriptions into Genesis for the quickest method of examination, though? I definitely don't want to waste Deon's time, but for whatever reason I am just not parsing that sentence properly... :P

[edit] Oh my God, Dropbox also looks incredible. I need it in my life. Especially since my mother's always emailing me Minecraft worlds, and my computer doesn't have a scanner attached so I'm always emailing scans to myself, and... I love you, Tomi.

Also, I like Setharnas's idea, if it's workable somehow. Would be neat having epic named large gems.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 02:49:37 pm by asfghn »
GENESIS: HARDCORE.
Kat has been ecstatic lately. She has slept in a fine bed recently. She has talked with a friend recently. She has captured monsters for her pocket recently. She has been bored recently.
She is a member of the Sand Fleas.
She likes gypsum, jade, emerald, violence, horrific monsters, fire and werewolves for their sweet nature.
When possible, she prefers to consume peach tea or Pepsi.

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #6092 on: April 05, 2011, 03:02:06 pm »

Cheers asdf. My wife swears by Dropbox, it goes great with an iPad and a smartphone. With Dropbox I can also host files and images for the forums.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I meant that in the raws you send over to Deon, don't include too many changes (such as 50 TRAINABLE tags) if you can help it.

In the descriptions I like to have a size comparison, otherwise people need to look at the raws (or magmawiki) to know how large a "draltha" or "spochamonoco" is.

My examples: (searches with "-sized")
[DESCRIPTION:A giant horse-sized amphibian predator found underground.] giant toad
[DESCRIPTION:A dog-sized rodent found underground.] large 25kg (50 lb) rat
[DESCRIPTION:A cat-sized rodent with long ears and big hind legs.  Its tail is a little plume of brownish fur.] rabbit
[DESCRIPTION:A fish-eating water-loving mammal twice the size of a dog.] giant otter
[DESCRIPTION:A medium-sized milkable domestic omnivore, sometimes found in forests too. Slightly lighter than a deer.  It has a distinctive snout and corkscrew tail.  It is thought by some to be intelligent and trainable.] warp pig
[DESCRIPTION:A dwarf-sized hooved leaf-eater found in groups in the semi-desert. It has short horns.] dama gazelle
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 03:06:42 pm by TomiTapio »
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Goncyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6093 on: April 05, 2011, 03:31:40 pm »

Quivers sit happily in my Finished Goods bins. Cut gems probably too?
The quivers that won't go are (cave fish skin quivers). Is it possibly a material restriction of some kind? I do have a finished goods stockpile that is accepting bins, and it has all finished goods enabled, but the quivers are still sitting in the wagon a year later.

Goncyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6094 on: April 05, 2011, 03:35:03 pm »

It also looks like dwarven black grog is cookable, unlike all other booze in this mod. Intentional or an oversight?

Torgan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6095 on: April 05, 2011, 04:02:16 pm »

Also, I like Setharnas's idea, if it's workable somehow. Would be neat having epic named large gems.
I think it's sort of covered by artifact cut gems from a gem cutter mood?  Not that they do anything once they're made which is the difference. 

Goncyn I think it will be the cave fish skin that's causing the problem, its maybe not covered under the finished goods stockpile materials.

I'm still having hair from a butchered corpse rot in my refuse stockpile before I got round to spinning it into thread.  I don't think this is in vanilla, not really that fussed either way but just a heads up if it was left from the bone rot experiment.  Also had one of my dwarves travel outdoors to clean up a mephit frozen extract that had been left after it was fighting with a mandrill.  Not sure if this is just a weird thing or some oddity with mephits?  I just thught dwarves ignored cleaning jobs outside your fort. Not a big deal again either way.

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #6096 on: April 05, 2011, 04:33:48 pm »

Hair, scale, toughscale, nails, toughnails, teeth, toughteeth, cheese were set to rot... I think those should be non-rotting.

Cave fish skin (and all bird leathers smaller than sheep) should be removed but I've forgotten how to do it without removing the living creature's skin.
(Wikipedia: lamb deer elk, "Buffalo, goats, alligators, dogs, snakes, ostriches, kangaroos, oxen, and yaks may also be used for leather." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leather#Leather_from_other_animals )

Idiot dorfs do go into the dangerous caves to clean blood off natural walls. Remove hauling and cleaning labors from your elite crafters using Dwarf Therapist.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 04:48:42 pm by TomiTapio »
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Torgan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6097 on: April 05, 2011, 05:17:44 pm »

I've seen them go into caverns before which sort of makes sense as I don't expect the game to differentiate between underground inside the fortress and underground outside the fortress, just seemed weird that he was going outside to do it.  Maybe I just haven't been paying attention earlier.

Another mephit question - do they have acid blood or something along those lines?  I had a fisherdwarf gored by a rhino but left alive, he's dragged back to his room to get diagnosed.  Later on I noticed he is not resting and his bed has disappeared.  I built a new bed and checked it a bit later and it is now showing wear - x-bed-x.  He has a mephit pet that's always hanging around him and was injured by some mandrills earlier.  Just wondering if it's the cause of the bed destruction?  It wasn't fighting around the bed but I just wasn't sure why it was happening.

On the plus side I have sand, fire clay, cobalt and rhino herds to tame.  Just need to see some elephants and I will be unstoppable!

Setharnas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6098 on: April 05, 2011, 05:27:38 pm »

I think it's sort of covered by artifact cut gems from a gem cutter mood?  Not that they do anything once they're made which is the difference.

Yeah, I realize there isn't really any use for large gems, but I have hopes that Toady will implement something like greed and lust (in the material sense) someday. Think of dwarves growing attached to an item they already have in their possession, just extended to certain valuables they get a glimpse of - artifacts, gems, socks of overly demanding nobles !!science volunteers!!. Not sure if there is anything like this in the long term goals or at least suggestions already, I've had my focus somewhat dragged away from DF lately.
(Appreciatingly stolen from thijser)
I'm not a native English speaker. Feel free to point out grammar/spelling mistakes. This way I can learn better English.

asfghn

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:erratic nature]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6099 on: April 05, 2011, 06:28:12 pm »

Think of dwarves growing attached to an item they already have in their possession
This is actually already implemented in vanilla DF!

Your post doesn't sound completely clear on whether or not you're already aware of this, so forgive me if I'm telling you something you already know! I only found out myself last night, when one of my dwarves became enamored with his... axe, I think it was? :P

Also, I could have sworn that werewolves were available as an adventurer race, but I just tried to start an Adventure game and it wasn't on the list. Are there just no werewolves in that world for whatever reason, or is there something special I need to do to mod my raws so that my weres are adventurer-able?
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 06:32:30 pm by asfghn »
GENESIS: HARDCORE.
Kat has been ecstatic lately. She has slept in a fine bed recently. She has talked with a friend recently. She has captured monsters for her pocket recently. She has been bored recently.
She is a member of the Sand Fleas.
She likes gypsum, jade, emerald, violence, horrific monsters, fire and werewolves for their sweet nature.
When possible, she prefers to consume peach tea or Pepsi.

Morwaul

• Bay Watcher
  • ..............boo
    • View Profile
« Reply #6100 on: April 05, 2011, 07:16:17 pm »

I have been playing with some of the settings in Genesis 3.24.  I figured I would upload them in case any of the people that do not know how to edit raws and such (and those that do) would like to try my changes.  My goal was to make my worlds a little more interesting and make minerals diverse like they used to be. 

« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 08:25:17 pm by Morwaul »

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6101 on: April 05, 2011, 08:53:16 pm »

Anybody have suggestions on how to deal with captured imps? They have fire breath, and I have no idea what to do with them.
Useful things I have:
Magma
Weapon Traps
Turret Slots(For dragon/fire imp/etc. flamethrowers)
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

Morwaul

• Bay Watcher
  • ..............boo
    • View Profile
« Reply #6102 on: April 05, 2011, 09:38:58 pm »

Here is a very nice map if anyone wants one premade.  The mountain range along the East edge is bordered by a forest.  In the forest all along the mountains it is loaded with chalk and marble down deep and has plenty of minerals / iron.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/xw5nzfsuqrmu4ha/region1.zip

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6103 on: April 05, 2011, 09:48:45 pm »

Here is a very nice map if anyone wants one premade.  The mountain range along the East edge is bordered by a forest.  In the forest all along the mountains it is loaded with chalk and marble down deep and has plenty of minerals / iron.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/xw5nzfsuqrmu4ha/region1.zip

You do realize, of course, that there is an entire web site dedicated to file hosting related to Dwarf Fortress?
Or maybe there's a god who's just completely insane and sends you to Detroit, Michigan in a new body if you ever utter the name "Pat Sajak".

Morwaul

• Bay Watcher
  • ..............boo
    • View Profile
« Reply #6104 on: April 05, 2011, 10:50:57 pm »

Actually, I didn't.  Thanks for the link.  But, as this is Genesis specific I still think it would go better here.  If this is a problem I can certainly remove the link or Deon can delete the post.  (At least I guess he can.)
Pages: 1 ... 405 406 [407] 408 409 ... 642