Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 404 405 [406] 407 408 ... 642

Author Topic: [40.24] ۩۩۩ Genesis Mod ۩۩۩ [ϟ .11c Old Genesis ϟ] - 0.40.25 update by TomiTapio  (Read 1230877 times)

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ۩۩۩ ஃ Genesis Mod ஃ ۩۩۩ [ϟ 3.24 ϟ] - demons are back
« Reply #6075 on: April 05, 2011, 04:03:34 am »

Sorry to post-flood, everyone.

Embarked, and MAGNETITE EVERYWHERE.  But despite saying "Flux" on the embark screen, none to be found.  I suppose I'll have to dig for it.

There is small problem with the FLUX in embark screen, as well as in site finder. What I have noticed that it recognizes every piece of flux stone, which causes the game to tell it as available. From my experience you can always find at least small amount of flux stone near the magma sea, so I think the game notices those stones and says that you have flux, which is basically correct. So basically the game thinks that there is always flux available, except in some very rare occasions where none can be found even near the magma sea. It's just that the game doesn't think the same way as we do, as players usually want to find flux closer to the surface, not in some random location next to the magma or even hell.
Room Values - !!SCIENCE!!

Quote from: zanchito
You know, they could teach maths like this at school. "There are 105 dwarves in a settlement. A goblin invasion appears and 67 die. Then a migrant wave..."

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #6076 on: April 05, 2011, 09:33:54 am »

Hey, so why is channeling disabled for already mined areas? How else can you put a hole in the floor?
I should mention this too. I believe it was v3.22 so this may have been addressed (and haven't came across it yet in 3.24), but bones actually rotted on me, and in the same time frame flesh did. Is this known?
do cobra's normally go straight for the head?
Channeling works fine. Got an alert restricting to burrows? Picks taken by militia? Miner hauling socks?
The "bones rot" experiment has been ended, current version doesn't have it.
Higher the biting skill, the better hits the beast gets, I guess. Toady fixed "natural skills not working if don't have CAN_LEARN" a few releases back.

Edit:  Strangely, I do not have to harden iron to use it as a weapon.  As soon as I smelt hematite or magnetite, I can turn it into weapons or armor.  Is this on purpose?
Yes, no "pure iron" step now. And I have not seen any iron ores in 15 forts, must be my embark-finder settings, are sedimentary layers under aquifers most of the time.

Demon of wrath: A massive demon, too large to use armour. Brutal melee fighters whom cannot feel pain and have strong bones.
Demon of pestilence: A snake-like demon that has a bite that will induce necrosis, numbness and swelling. It is immune to all poisons and diseases but is physically weak.
Wrath sounds like cave troll. How massive do you suggest, dragon-class? Zombie Ogre size? Lots of underground beasts already have ToughStandardMaterials (2x strength bones, skin, sinews, muscles).

It is the pain that fells the monsters, they're helpless once they faint. (vanilla lions faint from one arrow to the foot.) So NoPain things like dread werewolf, alligator, crocodile are big trouble.
Pestilence - we have mummy and lost adventurer as nasty poisoners. Doesn't matter if a non-PET wildlife is immune to diseases.

Edit: Gotta start a new fort to test the new things.. (makes his bronze statues more common and gives grazer to kangaroos)
(rolls world with default quick settings except minerals to frequent) (huh, siderite in rock salt, on hillside. Lucky.)
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 10:59:26 am by TomiTapio »
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6077 on: April 05, 2011, 10:22:30 am »

Hey, so why is channeling disabled for already mined areas? How else can you put a hole in the floor?
I should mention this too. I believe it was v3.22 so this may have been addressed (and haven't came across it yet in 3.24), but bones actually rotted on me, and in the same time frame flesh did. Is this known?
do cobra's normally go straight for the head?
Channeling works fine. Got an alert restricting to burrows? Picks taken by militia? Miner hauling socks?
The "bones rot" experiment has been ended, current version doesn't have it.
Higher the biting skill, the better hits the beast gets, I guess. Toady fixed "natural skills not working if don't have CAN_LEARN" a few releases back.

Edit:  Strangely, I do not have to harden iron to use it as a weapon.  As soon as I smelt hematite or magnetite, I can turn it into weapons or armor.  Is this on purpose?
Yes, no "pure iron" step now. And I have not seen any iron ores in 15 forts, must be my embark-finder settings, are sedimentary layers under aquifers most of the time.

Demon of wrath: A massive demon, too large to use armour. Brutal melee fighters whom cannot feel pain and have strong bones.
Demon of pestilence: A snake-like demon that has a bite that will induce necrosis, numbness and swelling. It is immune to all poisons and diseases but is physically weak.
Wrath sounds like cave troll. How massive do you suggest, dragon-class? Zombie Ogre size? Lots of underground beasts already have ToughStandardMaterials (2x strength bones, skin, sinews, muscles).

It is the pain that fells the monsters, they're helpless once they faint. (vanilla lions faint from one arrow to the foot.) So NoPain things like dread werewolf, alligator, crocodile are big trouble.
Pestilence - we have mummy and lost adventurer as nasty poisoners. Doesn't matter if a non-PET wildlife is immune to diseases.

Gotta start a new fort to test the new things..
With the demon of wrath, I intended it to be MASSIVE but smaller than a bronze colossus.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Goncyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6078 on: April 05, 2011, 10:42:20 am »

This mod sucked up most of my sleeping time last night. Thanks for re-invigorating my interest in DF. Great work on all the new plants, especially! For some reason, growing albino corn, albino beans, and cave potatoes appeals to me more than plump helmets. Now if only the site finder hadn't lied about the availability of flux stone...

One question: I have some quivers still in my embark wagon that don't seem to want to go in any stockpile. Likewise some large gems I bought from the mountainhome traders. Am I missing something obvious, or is there a problem with stockpiles and these items?

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #6079 on: April 05, 2011, 11:00:24 am »

Quivers sit happily in my Finished Goods bins. Cut gems probably too?
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #6080 on: April 05, 2011, 11:42:38 am »

OUCH! I don't know how did it happen, probably with all the add/remove experiments I have. Only "goethite" provides pure iron, other ores net a usable iron ore :P. I will fix it.

I have a suggestion:

The ability on adventure mode to make a creature skull trophy.

[EDIT]

More suggestions:

Demon of terror: A humanoid demon that has tenticals instead of hands and powerful fangs. The tenticals hit with great force but are very easily damaged and the fangs are sharp enough to pierce most metal. The tenticals may suck blood out of a wound.
You can already cut "trophy" out of any bone, including skulls. And I already have a lot of non-humanoid demon designs, don't be afraid :P. I just need more time for that, so the alchemy comes first.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 11:50:01 am by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #6081 on: April 05, 2011, 12:13:17 pm »

Note: you can make steel without flux, using the pig iron + iron + lots of hammering.

Edit: What mephits can do for you. (after this incident, I gave them a little bit of skills.)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Todo for Deon: replace string in all files: harberdiers -> halberdiers
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 12:40:17 pm by TomiTapio »

Pernese

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6082 on: April 05, 2011, 12:37:45 pm »

I really like this mod, but I'm not too fond of the dwarf graphics tileset that comes with it. Carpenters wearing baseball caps in particular bugs me. Any chances on bringing in Ironhand's actual dwarves and using them instead or as an option? I've been trying to swap between the two graphics sets, but it's made harder by the different sizes and even then I miss out on such things as thieves and whatnot. I miss my fat bald dorfies. D:

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #6083 on: April 05, 2011, 01:02:15 pm »

Sure, I will make a quick Ironhand patch soon.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Torgan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6084 on: April 05, 2011, 01:13:47 pm »

One question: I have some quivers still in my embark wagon that don't seem to want to go in any stockpile. Likewise some large gems I bought from the mountainhome traders. Am I missing something obvious, or is there a problem with stockpiles and these items?
Large gems appear to be bugged and aren't stored in any stockpiles at the moment, there's a topic in the dwarf mode or gameplay folders.  They're usually stored in the finished goods stockpiles along with quivers but are completely useless anyway other than as trade goods.

Ah here we go.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #6085 on: April 05, 2011, 01:33:09 pm »

Okay, so we need to have a reaction to cut large gems into gems... 2 or 3, what do you think? I don't remember the price multiplier for the large gems.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #6086 on: April 05, 2011, 01:51:07 pm »

The combined small gems should be worth less than the large gems. Because of the rarity and loss of bits. But i donư know the multiplier either.
And another thing, I noticed you haven't changed the giant rats to be (war) trainable yet after saying it was a good idea. So I repost my suggestion here ^^.

asfghn

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:erratic nature]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6087 on: April 05, 2011, 02:03:18 pm »

Dutchling: While that's a pretty neat idea, it's also a pretty easy fix for your own copy of the raws, to pop open whichever giants rats are in and throwing in [TRAINABLE_WAR] pretty much anywhere! I always alter my raws since I like just about everything to be [PET]able and most things some form of [TRAINABLE]—and to make silver foxes [COMMON_DOMESTIC] (and [VERMINHUNTER]) because of these guys, and sometimes to rewrite descriptions (see the raptors/raptor dragons for a good example of my work) because I'm a leeeetle OCD...

:P

I think actually at one point Deon wanted me to look over and rewrite some of the descs for legibility. Would there still be any interest in that? I'm pretty much useless on the coding end for anything but what I just mentioned above, but I can write! 8D
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 02:13:25 pm by asfghn »
GENESIS: HARDCORE.
Kat has been ecstatic lately. She has slept in a fine bed recently. She has talked with a friend recently. She has captured monsters for her pocket recently. She has been bored recently.
She is a member of the Sand Fleas.
She likes gypsum, jade, emerald, violence, horrific monsters, fire and werewolves for their sweet nature.
When possible, she prefers to consume peach tea or Pepsi.

Pernese

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6088 on: April 05, 2011, 02:11:27 pm »

Sure, I will make a quick Ironhand patch soon.

Oh, cool. Thanks muchly! Really enjoying the mod, thanks for all the effort!

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #6089 on: April 05, 2011, 02:31:18 pm »

I think actually at one point Deon wanted me to look over and rewrite some of the descs for legibility. Would there still be any interest in that? I'm pretty much useless on the coding end for anything but what I just mentioned above, but I can write! 8D
I think you can zip your raws, and put-on-hosting-service (like the mighty Dropbox), or Deon might message his email address to you. It's up to Mr.D whether he'll include your changes in the Genesis. But if there's thousands of changes, it takes quite a while to examine each one with WinMerge (or other code comparison tool). Quickest way would be to copy only your descriptions into Genesis, that way the comparing is fast.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_file_comparison_tools

Edit: Today's siderite-rich fort died; gobbos and centaurs sieged at the same time and trap-corridor was puny. 11 miserable steel-clad hospital patients remain, abandon instead of waiting for N+1 murders.

Deon: check your email
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 02:53:55 pm by TomiTapio »
Pages: 1 ... 404 405 [406] 407 408 ... 642