Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 403 404 [405] 406 407 ... 642

Author Topic: [40.24] ۩۩۩ Genesis Mod ۩۩۩ [ϟ .11c Old Genesis ϟ] - 0.40.25 update by TomiTapio  (Read 1230876 times)

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Re: ۩۩۩ ஃ Genesis Mod ஃ ۩۩۩ [ϟ 3.24 ϟ] - demons are back
« Reply #6060 on: April 04, 2011, 02:37:17 pm »

He just plays AND mods while I get time only to mod :). I am sure once I get a day or two off and play some DF I will get much more ideas to implement :).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

asfghn

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:erratic nature]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6061 on: April 04, 2011, 07:38:40 pm »

HEY GUYS, REMEMBER ME.

The mod is almost unrecognizable from the last time I played DF! Good job, it is made of approximately eight trillion different varieties of Win and Awesome.

One quick request though—is there any way to brighten the water tiles in the Ironhand set? My monitor is at its darkest setting since I get frequent headaches and staring at a bright, bright screen doesn't help, buuut that also means that I am all but incapable of discerning the water tiles from the, say, loam or soil tiles.
GENESIS: HARDCORE.
Kat has been ecstatic lately. She has slept in a fine bed recently. She has talked with a friend recently. She has captured monsters for her pocket recently. She has been bored recently.
She is a member of the Sand Fleas.
She likes gypsum, jade, emerald, violence, horrific monsters, fire and werewolves for their sweet nature.
When possible, she prefers to consume peach tea or Pepsi.

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #6062 on: April 04, 2011, 08:22:06 pm »

You can try various colour sets, and adjust the individual colours too.
http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Color_scheme#.22Natural.22_scheme
data/init/colors.txt  LBLUE, LCYAN are the ones used in the water.

Good job, it is made of approximately eight trillion different varieties of Win and Awesome.
Deon and I thank you! Here's a veteran challenge: a crossbows-only fort.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 08:26:50 pm by TomiTapio »
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

asfghn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6063 on: April 04, 2011, 08:53:52 pm »

Oh, I hadn't even considered mucking about with the color sets. Somehow I had it set in my mind that the tiles controlled that... shows me. :P Thank you so much! Maybe now I'll be able to tell when I flood my fortress beyond relying on all the 'Urist McSwimmer cancels action: site submerged' spam.

Oooohh, a crossbows-only fort... 8D I actually played vanilla DF for a while to refamiliarize myself with the game mechanics and controls, and found myself pining after Genesis when things consistently went far too smoothly. My favorite saved game didn't even have a single dwarf death in four in-game years of play!

And then my first ever fort on the new Genesis version was immediately besieged by zombie/skeletal turkeys, which promptly decimated every single breeding pair of meat-and-fur-producing rabbits, and all my vermin hunters. The fort flooded from three z-levels below the surface down (hence my complaining about the dark water tiles, haha—I literally couldn't tell the soil from the water without loo[k]ing at it, and wondered what the mist was, nothing was on fire...), drowning both my miners (one of whom had just reached legendary), although my expedition leader for some reason refused to take his breaks anywhere but underground, in 2/7 water tiles.

I have missed Genesis so much. Good times. Thank you both for all that you do, and that is not sarcastic. ♥
Kat has been ecstatic lately. She has slept in a fine bed recently. She has talked with a friend recently. She has captured monsters for her pocket recently. She has been bored recently.
She likes gypsum, jade, emerald, violence, horrific monsters, fire and werewolves for their sweet nature.

Clamity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6064 on: April 04, 2011, 09:24:12 pm »

Jeez, this mod has evolved so much since the first time I played it ages ago... I have been able to search around and answer the majority of my questions, but I'm at a loss for trying to determine how good the Rock Bolts are. Or really determining the best material for projectiles at all for that matter.

I apologize if this has already been addressed in this topic, I'm a complete DF junkie, but my forum search-fu failed out on me for this one.

Thanks for making (and maintaining!) such an awesome mod :)

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6065 on: April 04, 2011, 10:00:17 pm »

Couple of questions: First, what files would I need to replace or add from the download, and second, does the current version of this work with .25 too?
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #6066 on: April 04, 2011, 10:23:54 pm »

my expedition leader for some reason refused to take his breaks anywhere but underground, in 2/7 water tiles.
Bath time is happy time. Can do it on purpose, channel pool wider and wider until it is safe, and put a meetingarea-zone in it. "dwarven jacuzzi"

determine how good the Rock Bolts are. Or really determining the best material for projectiles at all for that matter.
I don't know and I'm the one who requested stone-tip caveman tech :´) Arena testing is hard work. Give one side willow bolts and other side granite-tip bolts, 20 dorf vs. 20...

Couple of questions: First, what files would I need to replace or add from the download, and second, does the current version of this work with .25 too?
Replace files... to achieve what? use genesis mod?
The genesis zipfile contains the DF .31.25 exe and the Ironhand tileset (no ascii version at the moment). Unzip to a location and run the Dwarf Fortress.exe, should work (assuming Windows pc).
Edit: the download location is http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=4106

-- Tomi the helpdesk, whose other current games are Dragon Age II and go-boardgame on Kiseido Go Server.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 12:05:28 am by TomiTapio »
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Viken

• Bay Watcher
  • "Fight, or Die. Easy."
    • View Profile
« Reply #6067 on: April 04, 2011, 10:36:20 pm »

I'm waiting for the 31.25 Phoebus set, myself.  I greatly enjoy this MOD though, so I'm expecting great things here soon.
"It takes being a nerd to be a dorf, and I'm more than happy to compensate."

rainekage

• Bay Watcher
  • Has no ASCII designation
    • View Profile
« Reply #6068 on: April 04, 2011, 10:51:24 pm »

Yay, while I was visiting family out of town, you released new versions.  I tried playing with Civforge back when I posted last, but it just wasn't the same.  Lots of good stuff in it, but needlessly complex in areas and missing a lot of my favorite stuff.

Loaded it up, carved into what I thought was soil for my depot/storage area (I also build a barracks, dormitory, hospital, and the basics up there.  Then after I've gotten everything moved inside, I carve down into the stone for nicer rooms and the like).  Ended up carving into conglomerate (most of the embark was it), laced with copious amounts of hematite, limonite, and even bauxite (I never got around to using the bauxite, though).  Had so much metal, I gave up smelting at a certain point.

My favorite new feature?  Rock jugs.  For the first time ever, my dwarves drank all of their alcohol (I'm glad non-irrigated soil farming is back), but I had too much food (it's normally the reverse).  I couldn't brew alcohol, because I didn't have enough wood for barrels - then I found that jugs can be made of rock, not just clay, and great joy of joys, I was brewing things left and right again!

Despite plentiful farming, I seemed to feed the majority of my fort on the eggs of a single turkey.  I love those things, they don't ruin pastures like heavier animals, and lay tons of eggs.

Was hard managing my axedwarf, but that's nothing new - not picking up the right equipment, dropping it all when I tell him to kill a kobold, that sort of thing.

Being a fan of D'n'D, I embarked with an acid mephit, but he didn't do a damn thing, just flew around and ran away from every threat.  I should have known, damn mephits.  Next time I'm getting a dog.

I woke up, and saw there were some big savebreaking changes, so I switched over.  I'll miss that embark, but hopefully I'll get a new one.

So, questions :

1. Mephits really aren't supposed to do anything, right?  They're like deadly cats that don't hunt?  Hell, my turkey almost killed a kobold, and my mephit just flew around.

2. Has anything changed to make bronze, or hardened iron (wrought iron?) more useful?  I still skip straight to limited steel production.  Hardening iron is easy, but you can get steel with just a flux and another wood, so I haven't seen the point.  Bronze is much more complicated, uses materials I never see compared to iron, and isn't as good, so I never use it.

I always think of steel as near top-tier gear, and I don't really like the fact that it's easier for me to equip my dwarves in it, than work my way up (If it isn't apparent, I don't like refusing to make steel on principle alone).

3. Deon, you mentioned that training now takes reagents, etc.  Does this change how training dummies or obstacle courses are used?  I still can't tell if using a training workshop is faster than military training, however.  Or rather, I've forgotten.  Does anyone know?

Thanks for all of your hard work, Deon, and Tomi too.  On this embark, unless I land in a pile of iron, I'm going to go leather first, just to see if I can make myself.

Note to self: Stop giving people points in butchery or tanning on embark...

asfghn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6069 on: April 04, 2011, 10:57:11 pm »

"dwarven jacuzzi"
This made me laugh way harder than was probably warranted. C':

Give one side willow bolts and other side granite-tip bolts, 20 dorf vs. 20...
FORTY DORF ENTER, TWENTY DORF LEAVE

-- Tomi the helpdesk, whose other current games are Dragon Age II
Someday I need to finish Dragon Age I.

It will not, sadly, be while I am still obsessed with DF. :<

[edit]
Quote from: rainekage
(I'm glad non-irrigated soil farming is back)
Wait, it is!? Holy sh*t! HAPPY DAYS ARE HERE TO STAY
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 11:01:25 pm by asfghn »

rainekage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6070 on: April 04, 2011, 11:26:20 pm »

Ugh, bad at quoting when there are tons of quotes involved, but you know I'm talking to you, asfghn.  Yes, I was delighted to find that, instead of a highly elaborate two-level system of channels and irrigation, that I could just slap down 3x1 patches on the ground (or whatever you'd like) and suddenly PLUMP HELMETS EVERYWHERE.

Strangely, I don't seem to be getting many seeds back, but my dwarves are probably just forgetting to put them back into the stockpile, so they aren't being counted.

Still not having any luck at all, after a long, long time playing DF, getting my farmer to actually plant something aboveground.  I have the seeds, they're in season, but they just never plant them.

ATR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6071 on: April 05, 2011, 12:48:12 am »

Hey, so why is channeling disabled for already mined areas? How else can you put a hole in the floor?

To the water buffalo, yes it did say Bull, don't know why I missed that. Still, it uses 'it' as the pronoun under status.

I should mention this too. I believe it was v3.22 so this may have been addressed (and haven't came across it yet in 3.24), but bones actually rotted on me, and in the same time frame flesh did. Is this known?

And damn, do cobra's normally go straight for the head? Took out my hunter not long after embark! And I also got Rhinos, in a wilderness biome! Holy mother.

Thanks!

rainekage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6072 on: April 05, 2011, 01:23:58 am »

Sorry to post-flood, everyone.

Embarked, and MAGNETITE EVERYWHERE.  But despite saying "Flux" on the embark screen, none to be found.  I suppose I'll have to dig for it.

Anyway, I didn't embark with flux (oops, just magma-safe stone), so I build a finishing forge...

Hmm, it says I need fuel.  *looks at twenty pieces of charcoal*

Well, I'm stumped.  Have iron, have fuel.

Edit:  Strangely, I do not have to harden iron to use it as a weapon.  As soon as I smelt hematite or magnetite, I can turn it into weapons or armor.  Is this on purpose?

Edit, the second: Just lost my Axedwarf and Stonecrafter within two or three seconds to a dragon raptor.  He died a noble death, protecting a horde of useful migrants, three of which with military skills.  I will erect a tomb to him where everyone can see.

I just wish my mechanic would stop with his two-month break and set those cage traps....
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 08:12:24 am by rainekage »

FluidDynamite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6073 on: April 05, 2011, 01:50:48 am »

Hey, so why is channeling disabled for already mined areas? How else can you put a hole in the floor?

To the water buffalo, yes it did say Bull, don't know why I missed that. Still, it uses 'it' as the pronoun under status.

I should mention this too. I believe it was v3.22 so this may have been addressed (and haven't came across it yet in 3.24), but bones actually rotted on me, and in the same time frame flesh did. Is this known?

And damn, do cobra's normally go straight for the head? Took out my hunter not long after embark! And I also got Rhinos, in a wilderness biome! Holy mother.

Thanks!
Channeling should work on already mined tiles, note that if a stone or something else is on the tile you're trying to channel the icon won't flash, but the miner will still channel it.

Bone rotting was removed again in this version. :)

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6074 on: April 05, 2011, 02:07:50 am »

I have a suggestion:

The ability on adventure mode to make a creature skull trophy.

[EDIT]

More suggestions:

Demon of wrath: A massive demon, too large to use armour. Brutal melee fighters whom cannot feel pain and have strong bones.

Demon of pestilence: A snake-like demon that has a bite that will induce necrosis, numbness and swelling. It is immune to all poisons and diseases but is physically weak.

Demon of terror: A humanoid demon that has tenticals instead of hands and powerful fangs. The tenticals hit with great force but are very easily damaged and the fangs are sharp enough to pierce most metal. The tenticals may suck blood out of a wound.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 02:36:48 am by Angel Of Death »
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!
Pages: 1 ... 403 404 [405] 406 407 ... 642